Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anyone here old enough to remember the Jonestown 'massacre'?

• 18-11-2016 8:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Today is the anniversary, if I'm not mistaken (I'm not...I just want to sound modest) but is there anyone here who actually remembers the news as it broke? I grew up hearing about it and reading about it but damn, that was seriously fvcked up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I am the right age to remember the Brian Jonestown Massacre.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,380 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

No, what type of band were they?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Stigura

Just considered it some religious sect whack jobs, in a place thousands of miles away had topped themselves because their 'spiritual leader' told them to.

Never really altered that view, down the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

it's where we get the lovely saying drinking the kool aid

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

No, what type of band were they?

Psychedelic rock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Don't remember it but I've read up on it and watched a few documentaries....some crazy sh*t went on down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,661 ✭✭✭buried

F**king great band

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

I was 7 at the time, remember seeing it covered on the news. Not everyone willingly took their own lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

I got a job working construction
    for the jonestown company

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

I was in school and spent a lot of time in the library. Read about it in Paris Match along with the Gary Gilmore story and the Patty Hearst saga. I should say me and my French/English dictionary.Got the jist of the stories helped by the photographs.

It was GUBU before Gubu was fashionable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ Marshall Juicy Munchies

I remember it. 1978 and,to be honest, it wasn't wall to wall all day coverage like it would be today. We hadn't as much media bombardment as today and Ireland had it's own troubles then.
    I had three young kids at the time and was too busy to give it more than a second glance at the time.

• I don't remember it as a newsflash or anything...but I remember it being considered topical, which could have been any time in 79 or 80..,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Goya

No, before my time. I vaguely remember Waco 15 years later though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

I remember that but dident take much interest in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Stigura

I remember when My Lai started surfacing. Talk about the death of innocence! F**k me; To this day, I don't want to see those photo's. Not the 'Before' :(

Whaco? Only 'surprising' thing about that was that they were using an actual tank against civilians. But, then; Those civilians were some sort of 'religious' nut job cult, so ..... But, still ...

Today? The irony is just absolutely f**king delicious.

Before my time but I have listened to sections of the audio recording of the suicide, harrowing to say the least hearing children screaming while being fed cyanide by their deluded mothers with crackhead Jim Jones speaking his doomsday cultish nonsense for the duration. Made my stomach turn.

Word of caution for anyone who listens to it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I remember the news alright. Didn't begin to sink in at the time, as these things generally won't for kids. But yeah I do remember it quite clearly as an "event" in my memory.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

I wasn't alive at the time. The only reason I know about it iS from the expression to drink the koolaid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Saw documentaries about it, just thought why would anyone follow that twat Jones, a total self-absorbed bellend, typical Taurus.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Flimpson wrote: »
    No, before my time. I vaguely remember Waco 15 years later though.

Now that I remember very well. Very drawn out as they were holed up in their compound for what seemed like a month or more before the final assault by the authorities.

• Advertisement

• No, what type of band were they?

The 'one good track per album' type

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

"Hurry ,hurry.Mother mother bring your child forward"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,853 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I don't remember it as a newsflash or anything...,

Remember when a NEWSFLASH came. That banner that used to rotate across the TV.

You were proper **** scared!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

I remember hearing the audio from Jonestown was horrifying

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Advertisement