Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jimbo Slice memorial thread, feat Nate Dogg - The new Off Topic thread

• 18-01-2017 6:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 38,992 ✭✭✭✭

One thing that never ceases to amaze me with the gym is the sheer craziness of some people.
    The other day, a women was using calf raise machine that was loaded to the hilt with plates. Tried to do a few reps, struggled immediately and blew her ankle. I don't know if it was a broken bone, or a torn ligament. I'd guess it was one or the other though. Stupid behaviour leads to accidents, the gym is no acceptation.
    Then her lawyer contact the gym to let them know she is sueing them for damages. WTF?

I'm sorry she was hurt of course. But you you try to lift a weight that's too heavy for you, and you hurt yourself, that's your fault imo.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

New year new flavour

Myprotein chocolate nut is stink :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,300 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Nice article here from a former Boardsie ;)

8 of the most common exercise and nutrition myths to avoid in 2017 http://the42.ie/3185383

• Registered Users Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Nice article here from a former Boardsie ;)

8 of the most common exercise and nutrition myths to avoid in 2017 http://the42.ie/3185383

Expect a ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Mellor wrote: »
    I'm sorry she was hurt of course. But you you try to lift a weight that's too heavy for you, and you hurt yourself, that's your fault imo.

I presume you know someone working there to get these details?

I imagine they will argue that at the least they were negligent by not providing appropriate training or warning signs or something like that. Otherwise, unless there is a suggestion that the machine was faulty or poorly maintained, I can't imagine what their argument would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

I imagine she will say she wasnt shown how to use the machine? Thats the only argument I can think of but no idea if she can win on that basis.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

One thing that never ceases to amaze me with the gym is the sheer craziness of some peopl

"So Mr Mellor stupid sh1t is something you regularly see in the Defendant's gym?"

"Would you be surprised if the Defendant was unaware of it?"

Shame to see stupidity rewarded but away from the real world and in legalese speak argument will probably be built on that basis

• Registered Users Posts: 38,992 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Zillah wrote: »
    I presume you know someone working there to get these details?
    I work at the head office
    I imagine they will argue that at the least they were negligent by not providing appropriate training or warning signs or something like that. Otherwise, unless there is a suggestion that the machine was faulty or poorly maintained, I can't imagine what their argument would be.
    I think the arguement is that their should have been an instructions on the machine, though I'm not certain. Like on the other calf raise (which she also uses). Not uncommon to see a little image of a guy in two positions on thes machine Like This
    But that argument is BS. She was using it exactly as intended. Just had on way two much weight.

Same as if you load up a hack squat machine with 300kg and get crumpled. Instructions won't give anyone super powers

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

new OT thread

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Whoop top post. I'm off to find Amazing Emmet and tell him his been dethroned.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,486 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Aaahhhh, I love the smell of new thread in the morning. Smells like... stale sweat?

Ewww

• Advertisement

Whoop top post.

"It was a good post, Bill...not a top post".

"It was a good post, Bill...not a top post".
    You some man Eamon, if first post describes it better we'll go with that ;)

The main thing is that Amazing Emmet will need to show himself around here to reclaim the title.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

Anyone competing at either of the powerlifting meets this weekend?

IPF Leinster Open (Sat / Sunday) - National Show Centre Dublin and ABS Gym Dublin
    IPO / AIPO (tested) SingleLifts - Boyneside, Drogheda

I'll head in to Boyneside to watch the Single Lifts as it's local to me .. not competing myself as i'll be doing the IPO Nationals in March

whippet wrote: »
    Anyone competing at either of the powerlifting meets this weekend?

IPF Leinster Open (Sat / Sunday) - National Show Centre Dublin and ABS Gym Dublin
    IPO / AIPO (tested) SingleLifts - Boyneside, Drogheda

I'll head in to Boyneside to watch the Single Lifts as it's local to me .. not competing myself as i'll be doing the IPO Nationals in March

Yup. On Sunday. Weighing in sometime around 6.30 (weigh-in 0600-0730).

best of luck ... it should be a great comp

best of luck ... it should be a great comp

Thanks man.

Getting up at 5.30 on Sunday will be zero craic though

You'd have thought id be used to it with a 2-year-old! :)

Whoop top post. I'm off to find Amazing Emmet and tell him his been dethroned.

The irony here is that Hanley was actually first to post last time. I copied in Emmett's post just to annoy him. Now he had an entire thread dedicated to his memory.

they/them/theirs

Good luck with it.

Anyone else giving it a go?

they/them/theirs

Think Blacktie is as well. Said he was shortly after the entries sold out in the Squats the story thread (RIP)

Thanks man.

Getting up at 5.30 on Sunday will be zero craic though

You'd have thought id be used to it with a 2-year-old! :)

I don't envy you ... my last comp was similar up at 5am .. two hour drive ... straight to weigh in and platform at half nine ... at my age my body takes a long time to get going in the morning and I ended up dropping all my openers by about 10-15% and still struggled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

can anyone just walk in and watch these comps?

IvoryTower wrote: »
    can anyone just walk in and watch these comps?

I think so.

Well, you definitely can at the National Show Centre on Saturday but it will cost you €17 (but that's only because it was set at that for the Crossfit Celtic Cup which is also on Saturday and the IPF were offered the use of the venue for free )

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

They had a live stream for athlone, be great if there was one again

I don't envy you ... my last comp was similar up at 5am .. two hour drive ... straight to weigh in and platform at half nine ... at my age my body takes a long time to get going in the morning and I ended up dropping all my openers by about 10-15% and still struggled.

I don't think you're that much older than me but a two-hour drive probably would have me reaching for the WD-40.

I don't think you're that much older than me but a two-hour drive probably would have me reaching for the WD-40.

I can barely put on socks in the morning without pain!! ... but fingers crossed I'll have a DL PB tonight !! If only lifting comps were run at nighttime I'd be laughing !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Brian? wrote: »
    Good luck with it.

Anyone else giving it a go?

I am as well. In the Sunday AM session.

Have been doing my workouts before work to try and get used to lifting at 8am :pac: I usually get up at 6am anyway for work so I'm not expecting it to make too much of a difference.

I'm really looking forward to it. I've been to see three comps. First as a competitor.

Best of luck to all lifting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Expect a ban.

why is he banned ?

Tigger wrote: »
    why is he banned ?

It was a joke...for referencing H****y.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

It was a joke...for referencing H****y.

No I mean why is he banned, Jimbo?

• Advertisement

Tigger wrote: »
    No I mean why is he banned, Jimbo?

Someone took offence to a post...said it was spamming and promptly banned him

Advertisement