Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jimbo Slice memorial thread, feat Nate Dogg - The new Off Topic thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,537 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

You can get Adipowers for €105 and Powerlift 2s for €54 on the Adidas specialty sports site!

Not all sizes but might suit someone.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

It's nice that you don't see a throw with a hole in it...but a poncho.

Dont diss my poncho man. A possibly. Navajo woman spent ages on that. At least it doesn't have a hood.

I think she was actually from the Gila tribe.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    Dont diss my poncho man. A possibly. Navajo woman spent ages on that. At least it doesn't have a hood.

I think she was actually from the Gila tribe.

I hope she gave you a discount for it being a throw from seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭whippet

Yeah I'm doing the single lifts as a first comp before the nationals in March.

Ive another 800g to lose in 24 hours before weigh in to make the 100kg class. Hoping to PR in the deadlift but I'm nervous as f**k cos I'm lifting baby weights compared to some of the lads.

That being said, I'm a genuine AIPO lifter ;) so I shouldn't compare like with like

you'll enjoy the single lifts ... not as much pressure or fatiguing as a full meet and gives a great indication as to what is involved in competing.

Don't worry about your numbers or how much others are lifting ... the vast majority are there to break their own PBs and only a handful can realistically aim for a win. Everyone gets the same respect, time and encouragement regardless of what weight is on the bar.

One bit of advice i'd give being a first meet would be to get comfortable when you get there, know your warm up sets and stick to them. Don't feel that you are getting in the way of anyone else when you want to warm up. If your next warm up weight is 120kg and there is 200+ on the bar that you are warming up on .. just take your turn and strip the bar .. you are entitled to warm up how you want to.

Know your opener and know that you'd' lift it in your sleep .. I good strong first lift of the day goes a huge way to making you confident and relaxed.

It will be interesting to see how the AIPO section pans out .. i'm also a genuine AIPO lifter and will be in that category in March.

Interestingly ... a few people I train with who I assumed were going to enter AIPO have entered IPO for the nationals .. so deduce from that what you will.

It would be a real shame if the AIPO section was abused.

whippet wrote: »
    you'll enjoy the single lifts ... not as much pressure or fatiguing as a full meet and gives a great indication as to what is involved in competing.

Don't worry about your numbers or how much others are lifting ... the vast majority are there to break their own PBs and only a handful can realistically aim for a win. Everyone gets the same respect, time and encouragement regardless of what weight is on the bar.

One bit of advice i'd give being a first meet would be to get comfortable when you get there, know your warm up sets and stick to them. Don't feel that you are getting in the way of anyone else when you want to warm up. If your next warm up weight is 120kg and there is 200+ on the bar that you are warming up on .. just take your turn and strip the bar .. you are entitled to warm up how you want to.

Know your opener and know that you'd' lift it in your sleep .. I good strong first lift of the day goes a huge way to making you confident and relaxed.

Some great advice there.

I've been reminded to just not let my warm up be thrown out by not wanting to change what's on the bar and to just stick to my warm-up plan. So I've written down my warm up routine for each.

• Advertisement

I hope she gave you a discount for it being a throw from seconds.

Every throw is an unfinished poncho, as me aul granny used to say.

they/them/theirs

Every throw is an unfinished poncho, as me aul granny used to say.

It reminds me of a trend I've noticed among some of the women at work who appear to have 'upcycled' picnic blankets into scarves.

It reminds me of a trend I've noticed among some of the women at work who appear to have 'upcycled' picnic blankets into scarves.

My wife seems to be on a quest to fill our entire house with scarves. Some of they are just ridiculously big at this stage. I really don't know where the line between scarf and blanket is anymore. Help me.

they/them/theirs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

I read that as picnic baskets and was confused.

My wife seems to be on a quest to fill our entire house with scarves. Some of they are just ridiculously big at this stage. I really don't know where the line between scarf and blanket is anymore. Help me.

If it's 'on-trend' it's a scarf.

Otherwise, blanket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I found my poncho. I bought it from a Native American lady in Northern Arizona, she may have been Navajo. Do you think it's acceptable gym attire?

I wonder if I'll make it into the hoodies thread if I start wearing it to the gym.

Spectacular piece of clothing. Poncho, leggings and hi-tops would be a smashing gym ensemble

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

What's the difference between AIPO and IPO?

FTA69 wrote: »
    What's the difference between AIPO and IPO?

AIPO = tested
    IPO = untested.

It's just adding the drug testing element to the IPO while trying to keep all lifters within the organisation but allowing them the option of competing in either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭whippet

AIPO = tested
    IPO = untested.

It's just adding the drug testing element to the IPO while trying to keep all lifters within the organisation but allowing them the option of competing in either.

i'd say it was introduced as a response to the popularity of the IPF's comps since they came on the scene.

Unfortunately Drug Tested will never mean Drug Free; but giving an option to go tested or untested in the same meet hopefully will level the playing field.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭laserlad2010

whippet wrote: »

It would be a real shame if the AIPO section was abused.

Thanks Whippet. My coach is aiming to break national records himself so is keen to see me lift big, I suppose its a balance between stepping outside my comfort zone and not making a show of myself on the opener. Even though I'd have no problem attempting to break my PBs on any other day, it just feels so much more nervewracking!

I'm so hungry today tho, hopefully my s**te this afternoon weighs a kilo... :D:D

I'll hopefully say hello to you in March!

Thanks Whippet. My coach is aiming to break national records himself so is keen to see me lift big, I suppose its a balance between stepping outside my comfort zone and not making a show of myself on the opener. Even though I'd have no problem attempting to break my PBs on any other day, it just feels so much more nervewracking!

I'm so hungry today tho, hopefully my s**te this afternoon weighs a kilo... :D:D

I'll hopefully say hello to you in March!

I can appreciate that feeling! I would think that I could do the opener for a triple on an off-day but then doubt creeps in and you go through this internal dialogue that goes a little something like:

"Are you sure about that opener?"
    "Yes. I've done multiple doubles and triples and multiple doubles at 5kg heavier"
    "Yeah, but have you been feeling really sh*tty when you did that?"
    "Eh....well, maybe I wasn't always 100% and that was done when i had accumulated a lot of fatigue. I'll be fresh on the day!"
    "Have you tripled it after your wife left you and you were engulfed in a miasma of grief?"
    "Wat?"
    "Have you done it after being set on fire?"
    "...."
    "Are you sure about that opener?"
    "..."
    "Do you want a 50/50?"
    "Maybe I should drop it by 5kg..."
    "That might be an idea"
    "No...NO!! I have done it multiple times for more than one rep"
    "Yeah but now you're doubting yourself"

But then I switch on this and I say "F*ck you" to the doubt :D

Ha! Exactly!!!

Weighed in at 99.6kg there. I was 102.4kg on Tuesday!

Should I become a Personal Fitness Nutritionalism Trainer??

How To Lose Weight:
    1. Stop eating.
    2. Stop drinking. Anything.

Ha! Exactly!!!

Weighed in at 99.6kg there. I was 102.4kg on Tuesday!

Should I become a Personal Fitness Nutritionalism Trainer??

How To Lose Weight:
    1. Stop eating.
    2. Stop drinking. Anything.

All you need now is an instagram photo of anyone's abs. And a discount code

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

As posted a couple of days ago am struggling with the OHP with unracking and racking the bar, my rotator cuffs are killing me. Have started on some shoulder mobility work however would prefer to stop doing OHP till I can get mobility better.

What is a suitable replacement?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,696 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

TRS30 wrote: »
    As posted a couple of days ago am struggling with the OHP with unracking and racking the bar, my rotator cuffs are killing me. Have started on some shoulder mobility work however would prefer to stop doing OHP till I can get mobility better.

Standing ohp or bumbell ohp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Standing ohp or bumbell ohp

Thanks however shed is not high enough for standing and only have 15kg DB

If overhead pressing is an issue then maybe try incline benching.

But realistically you're probably going to have to rest it until the problem is resolved. Can you bench without issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,696 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I've seen people doing ohp sitting on the floor. You'd need some kind of rack to hold the weight up to starting position

Do the DB OHP outside the shed.

Or attend a physio and fix the problem rather than finding ways to go around it.

I would recommend rotator cuff workouts such as Halbert Swings, TYWL (make the letter with your arms and light dumbbells).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Can you not just sit the other way on the bench?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,921 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The "AC Slater"....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

I would recommend rotator cuff workouts such as Halbert Swings, TYWL (make the letter with your arms and light dumbbells).

I hate this so much. I just can't do it! Like keeping the wrists on the wall. How do peoples shoulders not explode?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Dtp1979 wrote:
    I've seen people doing ohp sitting on the floor. You'd need some kind of rack to hold the weight up to starting position

That must be the Z press. Slightly different to OHP. Bloody difficult as well.

Why don't you place the bench between you legs. Unrack the bar standing up and then sit down to press. You get in a bonus box squat on the way back up.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭JayRoc

If you can't do a full press, is there room to stand up and do a Bradford Press?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gD6XoIXGmDI

Advertisement