Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations 2.0 *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭tigger123

Watched Victoria last night and would highly recommend it. Its about a Spanish student clubbing in Berlin whose meets some Berliners at the end of the night and gets sucked into trouble.

Its 2 hours 18 minutes long and its one continuous take! Moreover, it works as a film.

First 30 odd minutes are a little slow, but definitely picks up. Most interesting thing I've seen in a while.

Mostly in English, with a bit of subtitled German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Watched Tramps at the weekend. Two strangers, a man and woman in their early twenties, lose a suitcase that they have to deliver and a relationship forms between them as they search for it. Kind of slight but the two leads have good chemistry between them and it's an enjoyable enough waste of eighty or so minutes.

Win it All stars Jake Johnson (Nick from New Girl) as Eddie, a hopeless gambler who fritters away a huge sum of money given to him to mind by a thug going into prison for a couple of months. The film follows Eddie's attempts to get the money back while trying to get straight by working for his brother and finding himself in a new relationship. It's a pretty decent movie that I feel is slightly undermined by wrapping itself up to neatly but worth a watch still.

Nerve stars Emma Roberts and Dave Franco as two strangers playing a game of dare with the aid of a mobile phone app and being forced to accept dares from the people watching initially for cash and for more sinister reasons as the film progresses. Total chewing gum movie but expertly handled and some pretty tense setpieces throughout.

Watching and really enjoying Inside No. 9 as well - an anthology series from two of the guys behind The League of Gentlemen. Shares the same twisted vibe of TLOG with a heavy nod to Tales of the Unexpected. If you like TLOG, you'll like this and if you haven't watched TLOG - what are you doing? All three seasons are now up on Netflix. Get on it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Watched Tramps at the weekend. Two strangers, a man and woman in their early twenties, lose a suitcase that they have to deliver and a relationship forms between them as they search for it. Kind of slight but the two leads have good chemistry between them and it's an enjoyable enough waste of eighty or so minutes.

Having watched Tramps last week and Blue Jay at the weekend I was just thinking to myself they'd make a great double bill. One is the beginnings of a relationship, the other the messy afters of a relationship. Both have leads with good chemistry, both are relatively short but sweet, and both are very charming.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Rewatched Lead Balloon, and still I thought it was really funny, and I'm not normally a big Jack Dee fan. I'd recommend it anyway.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

I watched Tramps and didn't really rate it at all. Slow moving and unexciting and the dialogue wasn't entertaining enough to help put up with the snails pace.

I'd give it 5/10. The girl in it was very good, i'd expect big things from her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭tigger123

Physcoville is up at the moment and is pretty. Its driven by 2 out of the 3 guys from The League Of Gentlemen.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭billion dollar baby

Season 2 of Sense8 added today. That's this weekend sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 8,320 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I've been so engrossed in Mad Men the last few weeks I'd totally forgot this thread had been rebooted.

Some nice recommendations here, thanks!

Still haven't figured out why Mad Men is so addictive but I'm glued every evening.

Watched The Similars, a Mexican science fiction movie set in a bus station on a rainy night just before the Tlatelolco massacre in 1968. It's about 8 people stuck in the station whose faces start to transform one by one until they are all the same. The film is a love letter to Invasion of the Body Snatchers and the Twilight Zone with cinematography and a soundtrack that are perfect for evoking the mood of its influences. If you've watched the Twilight Zone, in particular the movie from the 80s, the reveal won't be a surprise to you (I wager it probably won't be a surprise to anyone) but its a film I'd recommend to anyone that likes those films.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

IASIP Season 12 finally added.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Tower is well worth a watch, excellent documentary/drama mix about the University of Texas Tower sniper in 1966; really well done with a mix of animation and actual footage, as well as some amazing stories and narration for the survivors.

Occono wrote: »
    IASIP Season 12 finally added.

IASIP? I am soaked in Piss? I always shít in parks?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

IASIP? I am soaked in Piss? I always sh?t in parks?

Something about Philadelphia I think.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,142 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

IASIP? I am soaked in Piss? I always shít in parks?

It's Always Sunny In Philidelphia

Only reason I knew that is because I had an e-mail from Netflix saying it was added.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭looie

You've omitted Troll 2 from your list.

looie wrote: »
    Came across some interesting titles over the weekend. Some I'm well familiar with, some new to me.

wQAJv7qukZSd7grUWmXf6vt4OXC-0-230-0-345-crop.jpg?k=74cf32037b

Married to the Mob is a weird one. I watched it last week and still can't decide if I like it or not. It's like watching 2 or 3 different films at once. Pfeiffer plays it dead serious while Modine is gurning around scenes like it's a slapstick comedy. The rest of the cast are at various points in between.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

When The Bough Breaks

It's about post-partum depression and psychosis. Really gets into the heart of the issue. Must be horrible to live with, including wanting to harm your child. Some very sad stories. It's not as as slick as other documentaries, but this is not to take away from it - the participants speak very plainly about their experiences. Well worth checking out if you've an interest in maternal health or anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭micks_address

Watched The Fundamentals of Caring last night. Paul Rudd & Selena Gomez, thought it was great... slightly sad but very funny in places...

https://g.co/kgs/Bac9yZ

• Registered Users Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭micks_address

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Two movies I watched recently.

Train to Busan. 2016.
    Excellent zombie flick about a group of people stuck on train with a **** load of zombies, Koreans know how to pull off a zombie film.

Sex Ed. 2014.
    Maths teacher looking for work takes on a job at teaching teenagers sex education. Not a bad comedy and well worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,261 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Two movies I watched recently.

Train to Busan. 2016.
    Excellent zombie **** about a group of people stuck on train with a **** load of zombies, Koreans know how to pull off a zombie film.

One of the best ever Zombie Movie IMO

Love that movie

Brilliant :eek:

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

Train to Busan isn't on Netflix though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Train to Busan isn't on Netflix though.

It is when you're on holidays;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

American Experience: The Blackout, another excellent PBS documentary. This one is about the blackout in New York in 1977 and the socioeconomic background that lead to all sorts of chaos that night, setting the tone for New York for the next decade or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭hurler97

Fast and the Furious 7 added

Coming to Netflix on the 12th.

316465-mindhorn-0-230-0-345-crop.jpg?k=6f7ebd4f6a

Mindhorn

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Mindhorn

That must have been a very short run in theatres as it only came out this Friday gone... though I've seen this tactic with Netflix before and their original movies...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Dr. Mantis Toboggan

316465-mindhorn-0-230-0-345-crop.jpg?k=6f7ebd4f6a

Mindhorn
    Really? Fine film. It should do ok at the box office.

• Advertisement

Mindhorn will launch in all Netflix territories on May 12, following the May 5 UK theatrical release by Studiocanal.

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni60933845/

Surprised myself. I was going to check it out but probably will just wait until the weekend now :/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement