Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations 2.0 *READ FIRST POST*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

That Roger Stone doc is frighteningly open. Like a thief telling you how they stole your money while you watch them spend it!

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭cathalj

Watching and really enjoying Inside No. 9 as well - an anthology series from two of the guys behind The League of Gentlemen. Shares the same twisted vibe of TLOG with a heavy nod to Tales of the Unexpected. If you like TLOG, you'll like this and if you haven't watched TLOG - what are you doing? All three seasons are now up on Netflix. Get on it.

Great shout with "Inside No.9"..... brilliantly written and acted..... and I wholeheartedly agree about "The League of Gentlemen" - absolutely genius of a TV show.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

selma added today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

cathalj wrote: »
    Great shout with "Inside No.9"..... brilliantly written and acted..... and I wholeheartedly agree about "The League of Gentlemen" - absolutely genius of a TV show.

The episode of Inside No.9 with Sheridan Smith was great. She did an amazing job in it.

Watched White House Down. It actually feels like a parody of an action movie at times. Totally over the top and completely daft but it's good fun, bolts along at a good pace and never gets dull. A good movie for turning the brain off to.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,270 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Bowie: The Man Who Changed the World documentary added today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭maximus02

cathalj wrote: »

Indeed "The League of Gentlemen" is great stuff, as is it's follow-up "Psychoville".
    (N.B. Don't watch Psychoville is you're scared of clowns!!)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

The episode of Inside No.9 with Sheridan Smith was great. She did an amazing job in it.

That episode was on BBC a few weeks ago and someone I follow on twitter kept banging on about how great it was so I tuned in to see what the fuss was about. I had heard of Inside No. 9 but didn't realise it was an anthology thing. That episode was enough to get me watching the rest on Netflix. I thought the episode with Gemma Arterton was particularly good too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

maximus02 wrote: »
    Indeed "The League of Gentlemen" is great stuff, as is it's follow-up "Psychoville".
    (N.B. Don't watch Psychoville is you're scared of clowns!!)

Ah stop, the clown is hilarious!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Watched White House Down. It actually feels like a parody of an action movie at times. Totally over the top and completely daft but it's good fun, bolts along at a good pace and never gets dull. A good movie for turning the brain off to.

Thought Olympus has fallen was better than WHD. Absolutely brainless stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

rob316 wrote: »

Ah, yeah. I'll make no bones about it - it's completely brainless. It actually feels like it's taking the piss out of itself half the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

rob316 wrote:

Ah, yeah. I'll make no bones about it - it's completely brainless. It actually feels like it's taking the piss out of itself half the time.

This is why I preferred WHD, it's far more tongue-in-cheek and doesn't take itself nearly as seriously as OHF. But there you go, different strokes.

Whichever you prefer, avoid London Has Fallen at all costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,635 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

New trailer for Okja.

Arrives June 28th.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭rob316

FunLover18 wrote: »
    This is why I preferred WHD, it's far more tongue-in-cheek and doesn't take itself nearly as seriously as OHF. But there you go, different strokes.

Whichever you prefer, avoid London Has Fallen at all costs.

Absolute ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Absolute ****e.

I watched it for five minutes, that was all it took.

I had no idea this was happening, but Netflix and Jim Henson's Workshop are working on a Dark Crystal series. With actual models and puppets. Excite!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Fargo is back

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt Season 3 added today as well (I love Ellie Kemper).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,078 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The latest Netflix original film is a deeply misguided effort to adapt a truly great piece of graphic storytelling.

Tsutomu Nihei'a Blame! in it's original form is extraordinary: a stark, expressive art style full of life and mystery is used to conjure up this vast, oppressive cyberpunk world. Long stretches are almost completely devoid of language, the vividness of the delivery instead saying everything it has to.

The anime take has none of that. The names, the settings, the concepts are borrowed - it's Blame! on the surface. But the CG-heavy art is dreadfully bland, and characters never stop ****ing talking & dropping tedious exposition bombs on the viewer. This is more The Matrix Revolutions than the bold, experimental source material it draws from. Only a few action sequences and establishing shots hint at the power of the original work, but nothing ever sparks the way it should.

I'm obviously not recommending this. But if it does pop up on your feed and seems like something you'd be interested in, or you watch it and find yourself intrigued? I'd instead recommend hitting up your comic / online book store of choice and picking up volume 1 of the manga. That Blame! the film isn't very good is perhaps the biggest disappointment of Netflix's largely uninspiring film slate to date, but if it directs some viewers towards the source material then at least something will be gained from its existence.

Olympus Has Fallen is utter tripe. And London Has Fallen is one of the worst action movies of recent decades. With WHD it totally just gave into the ludicrous premise and has so much fun with it.

This is one of my favourite scenes -

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Olympus has fallen was also a piss take. The assault on the white house was stupid but fun pop corn entertainment. Actually found it more fun than white house down.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Sixtoes

Enjoyed 'Tramps' tonight. 7/10 worth a watch.

I don't feel at home in the world anymore -

Quality indie flick crime caper, very much enjoyed it! Elijah wood and the lead were great together.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,270 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Watched The Keepers over the last few days I think it may be the best documentary series Netflix have made.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Watched The Keepers over the last few days I think it may be the best documentary series Netflix have made.

I'm watching it too, not finished yet but it's gripping..

The Drop -

Maybe a tad disappointing but it's certainly gripping and well worth a watch, simply for the main man Gandolfini and a solid show from Hardy and Dragon Tattoo lady.

Sixtoes wrote: »
    Enjoyed 'Tramps' tonight. 7/10 worth a watch.

Yeah, very enjoyable! The 2 leads are so cute together.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,016 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

The Keepers

Just finished it now, it is fantastic in a horrific way. Highly recommended, I'll say nothing about it other then that.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

I thought The Keepers was only ok, It's far to long for what it is tho, they could have covered the story adequately in 3 episodes, also I feel the ending failed to deliver, I know it's a documentary and they can't create a better ending, but after 7 hours I was left thinking, "is that it"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭looie

I felt that way after just the second episode. Finished the fourth a few nights back and I'm not in a rush to watch the rest. I will at some point but there's a lot of filler there that's making it difficult to continue with it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement