Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three Girls BBC Drama

• 16-05-2017 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

A new three-part BBC drama starring Maxine Peake is to highlight how vulnerable girls were let down by the authorities and abused by Rochdale’s grooming gangs.

Three Girls airs on BBC1 on Tuesday, May 16, for three consecutive nights and tells the story of three vulnerable girls who were plied with drink sexually abused by a gang of men in Rochdale for up to four years.

Wiki Link

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭4Ad

Anyone watching Three Girls on BBC One ??
    Based on a real life story of young girls and grooming in Rochdale, distressing...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Have it recording. I didnt even know what it was about but BBC dramas always worth a look

• Registered Users Posts: 60,179 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

That first episode was a hard watch I have to say.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

its certainly "grim up north"

stomach churning stuff, wonder does it happen over here??

Why would you watch something "distressing" or "stomach charning"?

Is it like looking at the scene of a car crash?

I dont' get it. Like why see a film that keeps you up all night.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

don't know really....one of those strange humans traits....curiosity

• Registered Users Posts: 7,943 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Its a topic that really needs an airing and to become part of ordinary people's conversation and there's no better way to get that happening than put it into a drama. I taped it too, it's not something I'd like to watch but I feel like I should watch it. If it is never too happen again we all need to be aware of what went wrong. The biggest failings involved were on the part of the social services and police because they worried they'd be accused of racism for tackling Muslim men, they put that above their duty to vulnerable abused children. I hope people will watch this or at least be interested in finding out how on earth something like it could happen so it might not happen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,668 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Any idea if this is being repeated?

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

They tend not to repeat shows on BBC unfortunately as they have such a good catch up service

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Funny that, I decided to record it too - more of a weekend watch with a stiff drink to hand kind of drama. All three eps air this week and due to its (very recent) historical nature I'd say it will air again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,668 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

They tend not to repeat shows on BBC unfortunately as they have such a good catch up service
    Will have to try and catch up on Ep1 on the player so. Have the others set to record.

Was just trying to download it there, but it kept failing - anyone ever succeed in downloading using Hola???

(apologies if that's too far O/T, feel free to delete if it is)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

It's on Youtube now (not sure if it will stay up). Part 2 is on tonight at 9pm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

Same for the second.

Very good casting too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

what do you reckon , is it happening over here..could it happen over here??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I thought about watching this but chickened out, I'm not in the right frame of mind (if one can be for this sort of thing!).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^

its not too graphic, but its depressing....in a grim up north sort of way

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

I don't think there's the density of housing or volumes of girls in that demographic here for Ireland to be a good "hunting ground" for these gangs.
    Possibly in Dub I suppose but not really.
    You need gangs of girls wandering around completely uncared for by anyone.
    What we do have is the ridiculous PC nonsense where everyone is afraid to speak up if they think something is a bit off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,943 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

infogiver wrote: »
    I don't think there's the density of housing or volumes of girls in that demographic here for Ireland to be a good "hunting ground" for these gangs.
    What we do have is the ridiculous PC nonsense where everyone is afraid to speak up if they think something is a bit off.

The thing about it is that that is not true about the girls being uncared for. Before the time the case was uncovered around 2 years ago there were countless parents who came forward and said they'd repeatedly gone to the police but found no help. I saw some interviewed on a BBC program and their ordeal was harrowing. In the particular area they described it started very insidiously. Girls from a local school went to a chipper at lunchtime that these men owned .Some girls were singled out for free chips and made feel special, it progressed on to forming "friendships" with the men, them buying gifts for these girls, small things like make up, a few got a phone, giving lifts in the car if it was raining. Then they'd abuse them and tell them "oh if you tell your parents everyone will think you're a slut and no one will believe you", and then onto "go with my friend or I'll tell everyone what you did with me". From there they ended passed around various areas being raped by a few men a time sometimes and drugged. There were naked photos taken, humiliation, blackmail and death threats involved. It was very typical grooming but with added malice and threat.
    It didn't only happen to wild girls roaming the streets with no families. It was probably easier to blackmail kids with something to lose.
    I remember one woman's 13 year old daughter was being picked up from school, drugged, coming home hysterical after being abused by several men and this woman was going to the police, her dr, social workers and getting nothing from them. In the end the men involved turned on the mother too and were threatening her and younger children in the family if she continued reporting them. They had to move and that woman was so frightened still she did the interview with face and voice disguised. The reporter had verified that she had gone to police and social services looking for help though. She wasn't the only parent. The police just said to them that the girls were going willingly and they were happy to treat kids getting free chips and being raped as prostitutes.
    It was an appalling abuse of power by the services charged with protecting children.

I think it could happen wherever you have vulnerable kids (and you have them everywhere) and where there's a police force or social services willing to view those children as "other". Add in the weird "political correctness" and you have a horrible mix. It's something ordinary people, parents , decent human beings, need to watch out for. Actually the lady policewoman who brought the whole thing into the light was interviewed on tv today and said she believes it's still happening to thousands of girls in the UK. I don't think Ireland would be immune to it happening. We have seriously unresourced social services here, we've let disabled kids be fostered by known child abusers, a shocking amount of children die in government care in Ireland every year. Much higher no's than in the general population. We really don't have grounds to be completely complacent about the possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

One of the best series I have even seen, it really got to me, acting is brilliant, you can feel the helplessness and sense of loss and lack of hope. the first episode is hard to watch but is required to tell the story.
    Leaves you very angry that this type of thing can happen and very sad that it did.

As a Dad I could feel the pain of the girls father. but you could also feel both mothers torment, the frustration of the health worker and the fear and loneliness of the girls.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,179 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Well done to the BBC for telling this harrowing story.

A really well done to all those young actresses for their portrayals of the real victims.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭dadad231

Anyone know if this is on Netflx ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

infogiver wrote: »

We have a much deeper family structure here. As for PC I don't think it is that institutalised here.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭claregal1

The thing about it is that that is not true about the girls being uncared for. Before the time the case was uncovered around 2 years ago there were countless parents who came forward and said they'd repeatedly gone to the police but found no help. I saw some interviewed on a BBC program and their ordeal was harrowing. In the particular area they described it started very insidiously. Girls from a local school went to a chipper at lunchtime that these men owned .Some girls were singled out for free chips and made feel special, it progressed on to forming "friendships" with the men, them buying gifts for these girls, small things like make up, a few got a phone, giving lifts in the car if it was raining. Then they'd abuse them and tell them "oh if you tell your parents everyone will think you're a slut and no one will believe you", and then onto "go with my friend or I'll tell everyone what you did with me". From there they ended passed around various areas being raped by a few men a time sometimes and drugged. There were naked photos taken, humiliation, blackmail and death threats involved. It was very typical grooming but with added malice and threat.
    It didn't only happen to wild girls roaming the streets with no families. It was probably easier to blackmail kids with something to lose.
    I remember one woman's 13 year old daughter was being picked up from school, drugged, coming home hysterical after being abused by several men and this woman was going to the police, her dr, social workers and getting nothing from them. In the end the men involved turned on the mother too and were threatening her and younger children in the family if she continued reporting them. They had to move and that woman was so frightened still she did the interview with face and voice disguised. The reporter had verified that she had gone to police and social services looking for help though. She wasn't the only parent. The police just said to them that the girls were going willingly and they were happy to treat kids getting free chips and being raped as prostitutes.
    It was an appalling abuse of power by the services charged with protecting children.

I think it could happen wherever you have vulnerable kids (and you have them everywhere) and where there's a police force or social services willing to view those children as "other". Add in the weird "political correctness" and you have a horrible mix. It's something ordinary people, parents , decent human beings, need to watch out for. Actually the lady policewoman who brought the whole thing into the light was interviewed on tv today and said she believes it's still happening to thousands of girls in the UK. I don't think Ireland would be immune to it happening. We have seriously unresourced social services here, we've let disabled kids be fostered by known child abusers, a shocking amount of children die in government care in Ireland every year. Much higher no's than in the general population. We really don't have grounds to be completely complacent about the possibility.
    I also saw that documentary and it was harrowing , If I remember correctly the woman who eventually go her daughter away they were given a new identity . Have three girls on record and going to watch it over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,802 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It was a tough watch, sad that such acts could be ignored by the Police initially.

All 3 young actresses were outstanding in the lead roles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭tupenny

On the third episode now
    I find it more upsetting watching the way the authorities deal with the girls than the actual rapists
    Fuc;kin awfully hard to watch but as some1 has already said, it needed to be done
    Heartbreaking knowing this is actually really happened, I keep having to remind myself that, coz it shouldn't be 😢

The real Sara Rowbotham was on First Dates last week. interesting lady. Pity about her date...
    Clip here
    https://youtu.be/T3LE2epfBPU

• Registered Users Posts: 84,319 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Looks to be starting on RTE next week

Saw it on netlix too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Looks to be starting on RTE next week

Do you know what night and station?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭brian_t

Do you know what night and station?

Next Wednesday 27th on RTE One at 10.35pm.

Continues on the following 2 Wednesdays.

Advertisement