Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

May 2018 Babies Club

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

No need to worry about them yet, they will answer all your questions and give you all info at your 12 week appointment :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Ive just booked the early scan for Saturday morn (I will be almost 9 weeks on Sat)
    Id love it done sooner, but id prefer my other half with me if its bad news :(

Ive been reading up on Silent MC and its scaring me

My symptoms have subsided with only tiredness (which is normal for me !!!)

I am probably over reacting but its worth the reassurance.

Ill let you all know how it goes!

My only symptom was the tiredness in the first trimester as well. Currently 27 weeks pregnant. It's impossible not to worry though. The early scan is brilliant to put your mind at ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Claire1987

What is your estimated due date at the moment? I just had my first GP visit. Estimated 5 weeks gone, due 18th May. Going to book a private scan to coincide to about 8 weeks i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

My estimated date is May 1ST,
    but i 100% know it will prob be 2nd-3rd week of may after the scan.

Sounds mean, but my birthday is end of may, hope its not that day!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

preggersandbrickinit, on my first pregnancy I panicked every time I thought I felt "normal" 😂. Now on number 2 I'm hoping to feel grand! Just try not to worry. Remember there's people who don't find out until 3/4 months because baby they feel nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Going to 'out' myself here...I am the poster troisbaba.No.3 is due, early scan this week due to a small bleed and all looks good.Still very early days though so crossing my fingers that it continues this way.

I worried so much through both my pregnancies.The difference being that the presence of one (and now two) children has greatly reduced my mental space and time for concentrating on the worry.Best of luck preggersandbrickinit, hopefully it will look good.Also......stay away from Google for the duration....for your own sanity. :-)

Hey Shesty!

Congrats!

Its getting really annoying having to sign in and out hahah! ill prob be out soon too!

not that anyone here knows me! i dont know why im so worried!

Yes, google isnt my best friend right now,

About the vitamins? i seem to forget about them alot :(
    il have to set a reminder on my phone!!

I usually just have them with breakfast, handiest way to do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭AttentionBebe

Would you be a bridesmaid if all going well you'd have a 6 week old infant by then? Or would you step aside? My instinct is telling me it'd be much less stressful to attend as a guest...

Would you be a bridesmaid if all going well you'd have a 6 week old infant by then? Or would you step aside? My instinct is telling me it'd be much less stressful to attend as a guest...

hmmm, questionable....
    It more how you think you'll feel?
    6 weeks out is very early, but this is my first, maybe its all well and good by then!!

Will you be breast feeding?
    Have you someone to mind the little one whilst youre busy ALL day?
    Just a few things to think of!!
    How close is the friend?

My other half told me he wanted our extension done next summer, (baby due May as you may know!)

I didnt even comment on it. just gave him the eyes.. hahah!

• Advertisement

Are you assuming six weeks based on the due date?If you went over would it be four weeks?Is it your first?

Personally,I'd step aside.It could be done but it depends on how you feel and you won't know til you get to that point.But experience would tell me personally that no, I wouldn't do it.

I am leaking colostrum, I'm only around 5 weeks! Is this ok? I only stopped breastfeeding two months ago and my milk was hanging around for a while so maybe this is why, but it's 100% colostrum not BM. Freaking me out a bit:confused:

I was at a wedding recently and the bridesmaid had an 8 week old. She looked fabulous in her dress and had a ball, maybe a few glasses too many but she deserved it :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Beanybabog wrote: »
    I am leaking colostrum, I'm only around 5 weeks! Is this ok? I only stopped breastfeeding two months ago and my milk was hanging around for a while so maybe this is why, but it's 100% colostrum not BM. Freaking me out a bit:confused:

It's probably because you've just stopped feeding recently. I never leaked at all in my first pregnancy, stopped feeding my two year old in June and was leaking a tiiiny bit by August (31 weeks now).

hmmm, questionable....
    It more how you think you'll feel?
    6 weeks out is very early, but this is my first, maybe its all well and good by then!!

Will you be breast feeding?
    Have you someone to mind the little one whilst youre busy ALL day?
    Just a few things to think of!!
    How close is the friend?

I'll be breastfeeding and the dresses are bought and not BF friendly :/ It's my sister and I'm the maid of honour! So my family will all be busy in the wedding party too. My husband will be there, but it'll be a lot to ask to mind the toddler and an infant all day!
    shesty wrote: »
    Are you assuming six weeks based on the due date?If you went over would it be four weeks?Is it your first?

No, not my first. I went 2 weeks early the first time so assuming I won't be hugely overdue if at all.
    Beanybabog wrote: »
    I was at a wedding recently and the bridesmaid had an 8 week old. She looked fabulous in her dress and had a ball, maybe a few glasses too many but she deserved it :D.

It's a hard call. On one hand I think I should do it, on the other I'm thinking pull out now and let her find a stand-in! Instinct tells me that trying to manage my toddler and a newborn as a guest will be challenging enough...

My take on it would be don't be the maid of honour. You just won't be able to do it. Maid of honour duties, baby feeding and watching a toddler (despite family). Let me put it this way.....since no. 2 arrived I have resigned myself (actually, we have) to not being able to have a conversation in any type of large gathering....or any gathering! We are constantly running from pillar to post watching kids, feeding kids, wiping kids, extracting kids from places they shouldn't be and (at the toddler age) breaking up rows. Thankfully all our friends are at the same stage in life and understand. Even if family are there, your eyes are on stalks constantly checking what they are doing, especially in a strange environment. It's marginally easier when one of them is non-moving, but at 7 weeks and BF, that would be tough too.

I did have a baby only at a wedding at 7 weeks, and ok it was fine and all but the reality was that I walked outside the church for the duration of the mass because she was tired and cranky, I breastfed in the car while the registry was being signed, I spent most of the reception breastfeeding in a room upstairs (no private areas and my dress was not designed for BF), and while she did sleep the whole meal in the carseat (unbelievable luck!!), I had to leave the room once the band started, as I didn't want to keep her in the room with all the noise. At that point I was well ready to go home anyway. And no. 1 wasn't with us that day, she was being minded elsewhere!!!

Two small kids is a hell of a lot more than just 1 + 1. Somedays it feels more like it's....1 + a lot!!!

I think you're right. At least if I'm a guest I can disappear off to the room to feed etc

I think you're right. At least if I'm a guest I can disappear off to the room to feed etc

If it makes you feel better I'm suppose to be a bridesmaid too... on my due date!! How to figure that one out I have no idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

Hi all. Been lurking for a while. I've done a few tests which were all positive. By my calculations I should be due mid to late May. I have an appointment with my gp on Monday so hopefully she will confirm them. I am thinking- will she ask me whether I want to go public or private... Basically I don't understand hospital care as I have never been in one. I have Healthcare with LAYA. My plan says it covers €3500 Maternity in-patient hospital delivery/homebirth costs. Does this mean I will be covered if I go private?
    Sorry- very out of my depth here and trying to gather any info I can.

Your GP probably will ask you but really it's up to yourself.i have rung and scheduled my own hospital appointments for all mine.Actually I haven't been to see my GP yet, but I have a 12 week hospital apptmt booked.
    You sound like you may have cover, but check if it says for a private or semi-private room.That will tell you.If you go private or semiprivate you will still have to pay the consultant's fees up front at your first visit.It depends on the hospital, for the rotunda private is circa 3500k amd semi-private is 1100.That's it then, as long as your insurance covers the bed.You can't go private and have no insurance, unless you are prepared to pay the fees, plus the cost of your bed at the end.

• Advertisement

shesty wrote: »
    Your GP probably will ask you but really it's up to yourself.i have rung and scheduled my own hospital appointments for all mine.Actually I haven't been to see my GP yet, but I have a 12 week hospital apptmt booked.
    You sound like you may have cover, but check if it says for a private or semi-private room.That will tell you.If you go private or semiprivate you will still have to pay the consultant's fees up front at your first visit.It depends on the hospital, for the rotunda private is circa 3500k amd semi-private is 1100.That's it then, as long as your insurance covers the bed.You can't go private and have no insurance, unless you are prepared to pay the fees, plus the cost of your bed at the end.

It doesn't indicate if it's private or semi-private. I'll have to ask them

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,901 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

What's the name of your plan and whereabouts in the country are you based?

Toots wrote: »
    What's the name of your plan and whereabouts in the country are you based?

LAYA Simplicity. I'm in Cork

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,901 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I'm not familiar with the Cork maternity hospitals, I'm based in Dublin. Your insurance plan will cover you for a private bed in a public hospital, however the 3500 you mention covers the cost of the delivery fee and inpatient costs other than your room.

If you go semi private or private, your consultant charges separately for the antenatal visits. Just to give you an example, I'm going to the Rotunda in Dublin semi private and it's costing me 1100 - that includes all scans and bloods needed during my pregnancy, plus my checkups in the hospital. That's the antenatal fee for semi private, if I was going fully private the fee would be between 2500 and 3800 depending on which consultant I chose. In my case my health insurance would reimburse up to 500 of that fee (I think on your plan it's 400) Then at the end of the year, you can claim about 20% of the remainder back against your tax with a Med 1 form.

The only hopsital I know in Cork is CUMH and had a quick look on their website there, but couldn't find anything about costs, so you may need to give them a ring. Different hospitals have different fee structures as well, when I had my son, I had him in Holles St. The antenatal fee was 900, but that didn't include the cost of bloods or scans, so each scan was about 120 and bloods were 130, so we ended up having to pay for a few scans and blood tests too.

I'm not familiar with the Cork maternity hospitals, I'm based in Dublin. Your insurance plan will cover you for a private bed in a public hospital, however the 3500 you mention covers the cost of the delivery fee and inpatient costs other than your room.

If you go semi private or private, your consultant charges separately for the antenatal visits. Just to give you an example, I'm going to the Rotunda in Dublin semi private and it's costing me 1100 - that includes all scans and bloods needed during my pregnancy, plus my checkups in the hospital. That's the antenatal fee for semi private, if I was going fully private the fee would be between 2500 and 3800 depending on which consultant I chose. In my case my health insurance would reimburse up to 500 of that fee (I think on your plan it's 400) Then at the end of the year, you can claim about 20% of the remainder back against your tax with a Med 1 form.

The only hopsital I know in Cork is CUMH and had a quick look on their website there, but couldn't find anything about costs, so you may need to give them a ring. Different hospitals have different fee structures as well, when I had my son, I had him in Holles St. The antenatal fee was 900, but that didn't include the cost of bloods or scans, so each scan was about 120 and bloods were 130, so we ended up having to pay for a few scans and blood tests too.

Thanks, CUMH is where I would be going. I'll talk to the doctor on Monday I suppose. She might have some information. I don't want to end up paying thousands when public care is probably just as good. Semi private sounds like a good compromise if that's an option for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭tea_and_cake

phi3 wrote: »
    LAYA Simplicity. I'm in Cork

You have a similar plan to me and I checked and decided that semi-private would be about 2/3k, that was Dublin. I am laya company care plus.

You have a similar plan to me and I checked and decided that semi-private would be about 2/3k, that was Dublin. I am laya company care plus.

And the plan will cover that?

phi3 wrote: »
    And the plan will cover that?
    Sorry I meant the short fall would be about 2/3k. You are covered if you need a c section but you have to pay the consultant and my reading was you can only claim a certain amount back (not the normal 75% per visit).

Edited to clarify - I suffer with chronic migraines and have been with a number of consultants over the last few years. I asked a friend who went on the midwife scheme in Dublin and felt it was better for me. I didn't have to deal with more consultants. Yes I know nowt all are the same but that was my preference.

It's really feckin confusing trying to work out what's covered and what isn't. I went semi p in Holles St to try and avoid the queues in Public and also to hopefully get a private room (which I did, but not all hospitals do that) However, I had a September baby first time around and often the wait in semi-p was longer than the public! In the Rotunda they don't let you bump up to a private room if you're semi private, however the queues in semi p are very short. I think half an hour is the longest I've waited so far.

I think in Dublin a lot of the public wards are massive - like some are 10 beds! However looking at the CUMH website, it says that the rooms all have either 4, 2 or 1 bed so that's something to consider. I'd say the GP will have more info, or if they don't, I found the hospitals themselves were very helpful when I rang with questions prior to booking in.

• Advertisement

It's really feckin confusing trying to work out what's covered and what isn't. I went semi p in Holles St to try and avoid the queues in Public and also to hopefully get a private room (which I did, but not all hospitals do that) However, I had a September baby first time around and often the wait in semi-p was longer than the public! In the Rotunda they don't let you bump up to a private room if you're semi private, however the queues in semi p are very short. I think half an hour is the longest I've waited so far.

I think in Dublin a lot of the public wards are massive - like some are 10 beds! However looking at the CUMH website, it says that the rooms all have either 4, 2 or 1 bed so that's something to consider. I'd say the GP will have more info, or if they don't, I found the hospitals themselves were very helpful when I rang with questions prior to booking in.

It's so confusing, you want the best but don't want to be stuck! My GP suggested semi private but I got the best information from the secretary in the hospital. I am low risk (has asked my neurologist) so that was a factor in going public. It's my first baby so my opinion may change on baby 2. I am going to ignore Toots comment on 10 beds per room

Advertisement