Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

May 2018 Babies Club

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Should also note that you can go public if you want, regardless of health insurance.

In most hopitals if you go semi-p you are simply paying for a different place for appointments and the smaller room afterwards.I have gone semi-p in the Rotunda onboth, and you are in the same delivery suites, have the same midwives and doctors on duty for everyone tending you.Both my babies required one midwife in attendance only and nothing else,so I was happy enough that I went with the choice I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

shesty wrote: »
    Should also note that you can go public if you want, regardless of health insurance.

I'd have no problem going public but if my insurance covers private then I might as well take advantage of it. I sent an email to Laya to see if they can give me any info.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

It's so confusing, you want the best but don't want to be stuck! My GP suggested semi private but I got the best information from the secretary in the hospital. I am low risk (has asked my neurologist) so that was a factor in going public. It's my first baby so my opinion may change on baby 2. I am going to ignore Toots comment on 10 beds per room

I spent the night in the antenatal ward in Holles St, which must have had at least 8 beds in it. It wasn't actually that bad. Only thing was everyone else there was in labour, whereas I was 26 weeks and hoping NOT to go into labour, so it was a little unnerving hearing loads of other women in the early stages of labour and then eventually transferring up to the delivery suite. The noise of the other patients wasn't bad at all though, what kept me awake was this pain in the balls announcement thing that they had going off every 15 minutes telling people not to use their phones!

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭tea_and_cake

Toots wrote: »
    I spent the night in the antenatal ward in Holles St, which must have had at least 8 beds in it. It wasn't actually that bad. Only thing was everyone else there was in labour, whereas I was 26 weeks and hoping NOT to go into labour, so it was a little unnerving hearing loads of other women in the early stages of labour and then eventually transferring up to the delivery suite. The noise of the other patients wasn't bad at all though, what kept me awake was this pain in the balls announcement thing that they had going off every 15 minutes telling people not to use their phones!
    Eh what? Why can't you use your phone?

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

It interferes with the monitoring equipment apparently. I had planned to use the kindle app on my phone so didn't think to bring a book or anything. That was only on the antenatal ward though, you can use the phone in the wards where you go after the birth no problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

On the health insurance issue, I rang mine and they were rubbish. Started by saying she'd look up the private hospitals... eh none in Dublin!? I had to explain Holles street was public but I want to go private!! She had to check but between the jigs and reels it's basically I pay consultant fees, they pay for delivery and room

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

phi3 wrote: »
    I'd have no problem going public but if my insurance covers private then I might as well take advantage of it. I sent an email to Laya to see if they can give me any info.

Phi3 there is a thread discussing this that you may find interesting.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057583639/4/#post104547526

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Claire1987

I have a private scan scheduled for when I'm 7 weeks 5 days. any one else feeling bloated and huge already?

I don't think they usually cover consultants fees. So you pay €4K-€5k yourself

Beanybabog wrote: »
    I don't think they usually cover consultants fees. So you pay €4K-€5k yourself
    That's my understanding too. When I rang Laya they sent me a document that wasn't really much help. I get money towards baby massage and stuff but that's all I thought. The rest was bed cover.

Yes I remembered the €3500 covers your overnight stay. A nominal fee toward your consultant.

• Advertisement

If you can, try and get on the online chat for Laya. It can be a bit easier to get clearer answers and you can email the chat transcript to yourself and re-read it later if you need to.

Toots wrote: »
    If you can, try and get on the online chat for Laya. It can be a bit easier to get clearer answers and you can email the chat transcript to yourself and re-read it later if you need to.

That is a really suggestion! Especially if like me you're the memory of a goldfish. Also means you can write down your questions.

When I told my GP I was considering private she said basically it's around 5k for fees and 5k for the birth and stay, you pay the fees, the insurance covers the birth.
    I do recall at my antenatal class last ear they said to check the policies as there was some dispute about the first night or something like that? I was public then so I didn't pay attention!!

I think the first night dispute arises if your baby arrives at an "unsociable hour" :pac:

My son was born around 6pm Sunday, got to my room at 8pm, so obviously that was night 1. I stayed on Monday night and Tuesday night, and was discharged Wednesday morning.

Some people have experienced that say they give birth at 3am Monday (for example), go to their room at 5am and that's still counted as 'night 1' even though they didn't actually get to stay in the room overnight. Then they've got Tuesday night, and Wednesday night, and discharged on Thursday morning, even though the Monday night wasn't really a night at all.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Claire1987 wrote: »
    I have a private scan scheduled for when I'm 7 weeks 5 days. any one else feeling bloated and huge already?

Yes.
    I was putting it down to the fact that my stomach is all stretched from previous pregnancies anyway, but seriously.7 weeks 5 days and I feel like a whale. 😩it's got particularly bad in the last week.What's it gonna be like when I get to 40 weeks(fingers crossed)??

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Catxscotch

I am about 5 weeks, no major symptoms, just tired, a few stomach aches, but nothing major.
    Is it too early for symptoms? First timer, bit nervous about the whole thing. Feeling a bit stressed, as we are also trying to move into our home that we built. Currently living out of a suitcase in the in-laws house

Catxscotch that's normal. Last time I think my pregnancy symptoms such as nausea didn't come until 6 or 7 weeks. I'm around 5 weeks too and getting more tired. I also got a cold sore and I haven't had one of those in over a year- I get them when I'm run down.even though I shouldn't be already!!

My nausea came very early this time, but last time round it didn't until 6/7 weeks.It just depends on your body.I was a bit crampy and stretchy feeling early on with all of them.No sore breasts last time....aching this time.It's a nervous time, but your body reacts in it's own way, there's time yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

i have my first scan tomorrow, 8 weeks and 4 days!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

Hey Guys, this is preggersandbrickinit,
    its annoying having to sign in and out, so whats the harm!!

I got the early scan this morning, so heard the babies heart beat :) was cool.

Estimated date is now May 3rd :)

• Advertisement

Congrats shakencat, the first scan is great!

I have to go for an early scan next week. Anyone know the process of this? Does it take long? I suppose there's not a lot they can see at such an early stage (7 weeks)

Are you in a Dublin hospital phi?You go to the early pregnancy unit, get there early as you can, but allow yourself a couple of hours.It tends to be first come first served, although you are given an appointment time.At 7 weeks, they shouldn't need to do an internal scan.I had a scan at 7 weeks there recently and they can see the sac and the blob inside.They would expect to be able to confirm a heartbeat....ours was flickering away on the screen.I've had scans on all mine at very early stages, the scanners in the EPU are very strong and will pick up all necessary detail.(not the presence of organs or whatever) they will measure and see does it tally with your dates and make sure there's blood flow through the placenta and foetus.

Previous sonographers have also checked my ovaries and the surrounding area 'just to be sure there isn't another one in there'.But that kind of depends on what doctor is doing it.Also you do need your bladder to be fairly full.

Are you in a Dublin hospital phi?You go to the early pregnancy unit, get there early as you can, but allow yourself a couple of hours.It tends to be first come first served, although you are given an appointment time.At 7 weeks, they shouldn't need to do an internal scan.I had a scan at 7 weeks there recently and they can see the sac and the blob inside.They would expect to be able to confirm a heartbeat....ours was flickering away on the screen.I've had scans on all mine at very early stages, the scanners in the EPU are very strong and will pick up all necessary detail.(not the presence of organs or whatever) they will measure and see does it tally with your dates and make sure there's blood flow through the placenta and foetus.

Previous sonographers have also checked my ovaries and the surrounding area 'just to be sure there isn't another one in there'.But that kind of depends on what doctor is doing it.Also you do need your bladder to be fairly full.

No in CUH Cork. I can't see it taking a few hours....

Well the few hours is more just waiting for your turn.I'm in the Rotunda, sometimes you can be waiting for a little bit.The scan itself is very quick generally.

Well the few hours is more just waiting for your turn.I'm in the Rotunda, sometimes you can be waiting for a little bit.The scan itself is very quick generally.

My appointment is for 10 mins after they open so hopefully there won't be too much of a wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Katie1_14

So I have my booking appointment on Nov 6th at 12:30pm, I work for HSE and all ante-natal and post-natal appointments are facilitated as paid time off. However, they require notification 2 weeks in advance, which means I would be telling my employer at 10 weeks pregnant which is way before I had wanted to. Anyone have any suggestions/ways around this? I have no annual leave left to take. TIA

My appointment is for 10 mins after they open so hopefully there won't be too much of a wait.

The wait times in CUMH are very long. I was waiting an hour for my first scan. It was torture with a full bladder.

bee06 wrote: »
    The wait times in CUMH are very long. I was waiting an hour for my first scan. It was torture with a full bladder.

Yeah that sounds like a disaster. Mine is in the early pregnancy unit so maybe they wouldn't be as busy

• Advertisement

Yeah that sounds like a disaster. Mine is in the early pregnancy unit so maybe they wouldn't be as busy

Hopefully!

Advertisement