Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

May 2018 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

Katie1_14 wrote: »
    So I have my booking appointment on Nov 6th at 12:30pm, I work for HSE and all ante-natal and post-natal appointments are facilitated as paid time off. However, they require notification 2 weeks in advance, which means I would be telling my employer at 10 weeks pregnant which is way before I had wanted to. Anyone have any suggestions/ways around this? I have no annual leave left to take. TIA

Can you tell HR only? I suppose your manager might wonder though...

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Katie1_14

Beanybabog wrote: »
    Can you tell HR only? I suppose your manager might wonder though...

Thanks Beanybabog, yea I spoke to my Dad who is a HR director and he said send a confidential letter to the lady in the office who deals with our leave, and tell my manager it's a medical appointment that is personal/confidential and they can't ask any more questions apparently. Makes sense as I manage staff myself and I know medical certificates don't even have to have 'reason for illness' on them and you're not legally allowed ask a staff member what the illness was.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

How long does it take to get the 12 week scan appointment from the Hospital?
    This is my first and I went to the doctors last week and he sent the referral letter on Thursday.
    I am hoping to go to the MLU in Drogheda

I am just wondering how long it will be before i find out when the appointment is.
    I am just gone 7 weeks so i might go for an early scan to put my mind at rest.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Can you ring them yourself?
    I've done that with all of mine...mostly because the GP told me to first time round.But I was going semi-p.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

I rang too to set the date, mines 24th October,

Im also 9 weeks roughly today!
    well 9 weeks within the now and past 5 days haha!

felt unwell yesterday, almost called in sick to work, but gave it a bash, ate a few sambos took some water and before i knew it, i was find and nearly finished work!

I have insomnia though, waking at about midnight-1am every night and staying awake until about 4am :(

I then wake up as normal 7.30-8am .. its really annoying!

• Advertisement

Has anyone tried almonds? Im not sick yet but I've read they're good for morning sickness. The last time I was more nauseous and retching but also part of that was my anxiety, I get anxious anyway and it went through the roof worrying I felt sick

Beanybabog wrote: »
    Has anyone tried almonds? Im not sick yet but I've read they're good for morning sickness. The last time I was more nauseous and retching but also part of that was my anxiety, I get anxious anyway and it went through the roof worrying I felt sick

thankfully ive no sickness *FINGERS TIGHTLY CROSSED*

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭kastasia

Yeah, so I was trying to hold off on hopping into this thread, but here I am. I'm due early May, first child and in my late 30s, happy but really haven't a clue! So for a few weeks I'd had a bit of nausea, but could manage it. Yesterday and this morning I threw up though and really not enjoying this.
    Wondering when most people are planning on telling work, I was planning on waiting till the 12 weeks, but it's really difficult to act normal and the next two weeks will be so busy.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I generally hold off til 13/14 weeks, out of sheer fear that it will all go wrong.
    But really it's up to yourself.You can hold off for as long as you like.

I find I can manage ok once I know I won't throw up, which has worked fine for my last two pregnancies.This one though....I think it's only staying down out of sheer willpower and it's horrible.

Feel terrible for you girls and am dreading the next few weeks myself. I didn't puke the last time (bar once at 19 weeks oddly enough) but I felt awful sometimes and sitting in meetings, on the bus etc was awful. :-(

• Advertisement

Well oddly I'm finding it sort of a comfort too....I've had intermittent spotting (with all of my pregnancies,including this one) and for my body,I find the continuing nausea is kind of a reassurance that things are still ok (I hope).

I should say though, that's just my body and this is my third pregnancy so I know it's what's normal for me. Everybody has different symptoms.

Oh hello insomnia

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi, have been following this thread but haven't posted yet. I'm 5 weeks and 3 days pregnant ( due 27th May), last week I has queasiness and gassiness / bloating but this week it seems to have disappeared. I still have sore boobs and tiredness but very worried that I'm having less symptoms than I did at 4 weeks.

Does anyone else have this issue? I know full on morning sickness doesn't really hit until around 6 weeks but I can't understand how I am less quesy this week than last when my hormone levels should be higher.

Was at doctor this morning for initial appointment but forgot to ask! Had blood taken today to check betas and going in for second draw on Friday so I'll definitely have a better idea on Monday of what's going on. Have a history of miscarriage so very worried.

Thanks.

shakencat wrote: »
    Oh hello insomnia

Already?? Oh no. I think at this stage last time I woke very early but the proper insomnia didn't kick in until trimester 3.

Every night :(

I got it early in my second pregnancy shakencat.I was so sleep deprived up to about 16 weeks.Slept like a log after that, until the third trimester!All I could do was hope it would eventually stop.I did cut down on everything, food and drink, after about 7pm, kind of helped but not hugely.

I've heard all the cliches but they don't make it any better!!

shesty wrote:
    I got it early in my second pregnancy shakencat.I was so sleep deprived up to about 16 weeks.Slept like a log after that, until the third trimester!All I could do was hope it would eventually stop.I did cut down on everything, food and drink, after about 7pm, kind of helped but not hugely.

shesty wrote:
    I've heard all the cliches but they don't make it any better!!

I didn't know it was a thing!!
    Thought it was just me!
    I fall asleep about 6-8am then..

I don't start work until about 1/2 every day so I'm lucky!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I've had the insomnia since the start. I'd say I have had 2 full nights sleep since 5 weeks (28 weeks now). Just keep telling myself it's good prep for the baby but it doesn't help at 3am!

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

Thought it was just me!

I was up every single night from 3 weeks to 11 weeks to pee and would be awake anywhere from 1 to 4 hours. It was torture. Thankfully that ended and has only started again last few weeks but only a couple of times a week (Im 29 weeks now).

I feel for you, its horrible.

Thought it was just me!

Oh yeah, it's definitely a thing in the third trimester alright!You hear a lot of stuff about it preparing you for being up with the baby but really....no.It does not do that!!It's just one more thing to put up with when pregnant!!

• Advertisement

I have a 9 month old at home so maybe I've just learned to sleep when I can! It is the worst though. When I started maternity leave the last time I had great plans to tidy the wardrobes and deep clean the house - but I spent 4 weeks not sleeping and lying on the couch like a big beached whale zombie

i really need to stop eating what i want, ill be a whale before i even have a bump if i keep going!

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Catxscotch

So I got a letter about my first scan, next Tuesday! I'm only about 6 weeks? The letter also says there is a fee of €180 for my first anatomy scan. I thought the pregnancy scans were free? I haven't asked for an early scan, this was just my gp checking me in. It's my first pregnancy

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Which hospital are you attending and are you going private/semi private? I don't think you'd be getting an anatomy scan at 6 weeks - all you'd see at that stage is a flashing blob. They may do an early dating scan, but if it's costing 180 I'd tell them not to bother, you can get them done at those private scan centres for less than 100. Might be worth ringing them and making sure there wasn't a mistake on the letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

I have an early scan next week too. In cork. I don't know if i have to pay for it or not yet. It didn't say in the letter

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Claire1987

I'm so so sick. Nauseous every minute of everyday. Any advice ladies... I am barely keeping it together for work?! its much to early to tell and i dont know how long i can keep it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Catxscotch

It's the Coombe. I'll ring tomorrow and see what's the story.

Claire 1987, Iast time I did CBT I was so worried about nausea in work. I couldn't listen in a meeting with the fear I'd be sick. I probably would have not as much nausea if I wasn't as anxious. Lack of food and bad smells were the only things that really made me feel awful.
    Had a bit of dry retching today and I ate some almonds-- dunno if it was the almonds specifically or just food in general but they helped.i was retching at my babys dirty nappy- going to be a long few weeks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Any key?

I'm also due in May on the 28th so I'll probably be one of the last in this group! Found out this week and myself and the OH are just bursting with excitement. It's our first. It's so hard to keep such a happy secret. Glad to be able to post hear though and share our experiences. No nausea yet but serious bloating and insomnia!

• Advertisement

Any key? wrote:
    I'm also due in May on the 28th so I'll probably be one of the last in this group! Found out this week and myself and the OH are just bursting with excitement. It's our first. It's so hard to keep such a happy secret. Glad to be able to post hear though and share our experiences. No nausea yet but serious bloating and insomnia!

That's my birthday :)

I'm currently awake with insomnia :(

Advertisement