Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Harvey Weinstein scandal (Mod warning in op.)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

I know him standing there in a dressing gown might seen tame but transplant that situation to your own place of work. Imagine being called to meeting with a higher up and them greeting you in a dressing gown?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

_Dara_ wrote: »
    I know him standing there in a dressing gown might seen tame but transplant that situation to your own place of work. Imagine being called to meeting with a higher up and them greeting you in a dressing gown?

A bit unusual, but hardly an ordeal now is it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

A bit unusual? Come on now. And it’s what is implied by it. She would be going into the room for the meeting. A hotel room. And he’s in an item of clothing that if he sits, he could easily show brain. It is so inappropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

It's highly inappropriate. Minimal enough to not warrant an official complaint but coercive enough to leave a mark on someone.
    It's a humiliating situation to be put in and all about his overt display of power you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

It depends on the implication - if you're aware of the rumours surrounding the person, if you are feeling a bit at risk...it could come across as predatory. Unfortunately women have to be vigilant a lot of the time and anything a bit untoward or unusual can be very intimidating. Meeting your boss in his dressing gown could be humorous/intimidating depending on what you know of him, his general character & what the meeting was about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Reminds me of the Olivia Munn / Brett Ratner thing from a few years back where she wrote (in her book) about a similar thing happening in a trailer on the set of a film. She didn't name Brett but people knew immediately who she was referring to given the timeline and he pretty much admitted it was him on the Stern show shortly after.

ombr.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

Reminds me of the Olivia Munn / Brett Ratner thing from a few years back where she wrote (in her book) about a similar thing happening in a trailer on the set of a film. She didn't name Brett but people knew immediately who she was referring to given the timeline and he pretty much admitted it was him on the Stern show shortly after.

She stayed there long enough for that ????

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

anna080 wrote: »
    Read this this morning-
    "Kate Winslet breaks her silence on disgraceful and appalling Weinstein sex abuse allegations"

And at the end...
    "Winslet next stars in Woody Allen's "Wonder Wheel" set for release December 1st"..
    :rolleyes:

Kate has also worked with Polanski. I like her, but yeah she's coming across as a hypocrite here.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,219 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The New Yorker now has a huge article with more stories about Harvey, including full accusations of rape and sexual assault, as well as an audio recording of Harvey trying to get a model into the bathroom with him, which was part of an NYPD sting operation.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/from-aggressive-overtures-to-sexual-assault-harvey-weinsteins-accusers-tell-their-stories?mbid=social_twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

Some people want fame that bad. Most people shudder at the thought of fame, in my experience, but there is a large enough minority out there who actively want it and that all contributes towards it being an exploitative industry. I don’t see it as a gender issue either.

sorry? no gender issue? what is this if not a gender issue? do you hear of any men speak up about being abused by this Weinstein or any other of this scum in power?
    I havn't heard of. Please let us know which men that are!

Also the victim blaming here is quite unbearable. Saying it's the peoples own fault they get sexually harrassed because they would like to make a career in film and might have the wish to become famous?? And this gives this Weinstein and his friends the right to sexually harrass women?
    What a crazy, sick, twisted, arrogant attitude.

I presume you work, yes? So how would you feel if you need to find a new job and at the interview the boss says you can go up his room, the bed is all fresh and ready for you both!! And then you say to yourself: oh, my fault I applied for this job..

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Venom wrote: »
    It gets a hell of a lot darker if you read what Corey Feldman has to say about Hollywood.

Elijah Wood said Hollywood is pretty messed up for child actors as well.

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/elijah-wood-pedophilia-hollywood-problem-1201781021/
    David Icke said that for years was happening in the elite institutions in our societies and no one batted an eyelid. Said the same about Jimmy Saville and so on. And now look, it's all true. People probably don't realize just how dark this goes and what is really happening in the world of entertainment and in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

In Mario Puzo's novel The Godfather, he painted a pretty grim picture of Hollywood in a few short pieces. the Hollywood exec with the mother and daughter awaiting an "appointment", the Oscars after party.
    Given the role of Johnny Fontane was supposed to be based on Frank Sinatra, I wonder if he drew inspiration from anywhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

David Icke said that for years was happening in the elite institutions in our societies and no one batted an eyelid. Said the same about Jimmy Saville and so on. And now look, it's all true. People probably don't realize just how dark this goes and what is really happening in the world of entertainment and in general.
    Direct me to the lizard people, because without them it's very hard to take Icke seriously which is somewhat unfortunate given that he has been correct on some things like Saville.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭danmanw8

The Hollywood hypocrisy is really exposed with this fella

Meryl Streep I'm hysterics over Trumps grab em by the pussy comments but was the first to give a standing ovation for Polanski even after all he's done and not word out of her criticize this creep

Didn't she say he made her do dodgy stuff back in the day too?

I remember I think it was Tina Fey made a joke at some awards directed at him and all the actors just groaned but once the camera panned to Wein laughing they all joined in, afraid of their lives of his influence even tho his antics were well known

I'm surprised Tina Fey's cracking jokes

• Registered Users Posts: 33,219 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Billy86 wrote: »
    Direct me to the lizard people, because without them it's very hard to take Icke seriously which is somewhat unfortunate given that he has been correct on some things like Saville.

Aye. A stopped clock is still batsh*t crazy when it thinks lizard-people are in control of everything.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Billy86 wrote: »
    I doubt very much on that obviously but shouldn't detract of what is happening. Situations of politicians being involved in pedophilia and the intelligence agencies filming it so to use it for blackmailing purposes and to get them to go in the direction they want.

tara73 wrote: »
    Some people want fame that bad. Most people shudder at the thought of fame, in my experience, but there is a large enough minority out there who actively want it and that all contributes towards it being an exploitative industry. I don’t see it as a gender issue either.

sorry? no gender issue? what is this if not a gender issue? do you hear of any men speak up about being abused by this Weinstein or any other of this scum in power?
    I havn't heard of. Please let us know which men that are!

Also the victim blaming here is quite unbearable. Saying it's the peoples own fault they get sexually harrassed because they would like to make a career in film and might have the wish to become famous?? And this gives this Weinstein and his friends the right to sexually harrass women?
    What a crazy, sick, twisted, arrogant attitude.

I presume you work, yes? So how would you feel if you need to find a new job and at the interview the boss says you can go up his room, the bed is all fresh and ready for you both!! And then you say to yourself: oh, my fault I applied for this job..

If I'd blown my boss to get a leg up career wise and then cried rape 20 years later I'd be ashamed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

If I'd blown my boss to get a leg up career wise and then cried rape 20 years later I'd be ashamed.

Have you read the article just posted?

Here it is again, in case you missed it:

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-...social_twitter

I particularly recommend the section about Ambra Battilana Gutierrez, who he groped.
    She reported the assault immediately.
    The police put a wire on her.
    She got him on tape admitting to the assault.
    The case was dropped because she'd previously reported another man to the police for assault back in Italy.
    What should she have done, in your opinion?

Weinstein has a decades-long pattern of luring young women into one-on-one situations with him and then either assaulting them or sexually harassing them.

He was until very recently one of the most powerful men in the industry, they were mostly just aspiring actresses and models - zero power, zero influence versus enormous power, enormous wealth.

Get off that high horse before you get altitude sickness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I'm not sure it's the case that being subjected to the charms of Mr Weinstein did people any good in their career, it's that speaking up ran the risk of you getting ruined. And he knew that. And he took advantage of it. Not just with actresses. With news anchors he met at restaurants. With people working on the crew, in corporate etc.

Fun and all as it is to slut shame and doubt peoples stories maybe read the fcuking details of the case before you start spouting off.

The very idea. Disagreeing with a woman!!!

• Advertisement

Jesus wept. Scarlet for ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,842 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

"Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

"Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

No. I'm a woman. But I have my own opinions. Jesus wept indeed!

No-one cares whether or not you are a woman .

Hope that helps.

B0jangles wrote: »

No-one cares whether or not you are a woman .

Hope that helps.

It does. Good to know there's only one opinion allowed and gender makes no difference to those with a different one.

It does. Good to know there's only one opinion allowed and gender makes no difference to those with a different one.

But no, seriously - what, in your opinion should Ambra Battilana Gutierrez have done?

She reported the incident immediately, she got evidence on tape but the case was dropped. Barring the use of time-machines to not meet Weinstein in the first place, what more could she have done?

What would you have done in her place?

There have been plenty of different opinions on the thread about plenty of different aspects of the case. Most people seemed to have at least clicked one link before offering up an opinion though. And most people's opinions, while I didn't agree with all of them, were more thoughtful than "lol sluts".

There have been plenty of different opinions on the thread about plenty of different aspects of the case. Most people seemed to have at least clicked one link before offering up an opinion though. And most people's opinions, while I didn't agree with all of them, we're more thoughtful than "lol sluts".

I don't think I've said that exact phrase!

However whilst he is clearly a colossal pervert and deserves all that is coming to him there isn't a nice even divide here between predator and victim.

Some actresses definitely decided that their career would be helped by sleeping with him or watching him shower - ewww btw.

That just needs to be addressed

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I don't think I've said that exact phrase!

However whilst he is clearly a colossal pervert and deserves all that is coming to him there isn't a nice even divide here between predator and victim.

Some actresses definitely decided that their career would be helped by sleeping with him or watching him shower - ewww btw.

That just needs to be addressed

While there were for sure some who were complaisant- that does not mean everyone was as tolerant about what was going on. I don't know what you mean about there not being a nice even divide? Whether they were obliging or not he still abused them and abused his power, and they were victims of that. It's ironic that the ones who spoke out or sued have had stagnating careers while the ones who were complict have prospered.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Penn wrote: »
    Aye. A stopped clock is still batsh*t crazy when it thinks lizard-people are in control of everything.

They prefer the term Archons...

Advertisement