Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RTÉ 6.1 News changes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,957 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Keelan very good at most shows she's done up to now, and I have no doubt she will grow into this role quickly. She's more than capable.

Catriona on the other hand. Looks a complete amateur. Obviously nervous as it's a big role for her, and I'd say too big. For some reason I seem to be hearing some sort of accent from her that I didn't hear when she was the US correspondant. She is coming across as someone hosting xpose and not the main Irish news. Awkward as he'll.

Brian on the other hand seems his same old self and right at home in Washington. Glad he's shot of TV3 he was wasted on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Sharon, last few nights I've seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,043 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Enfilade wrote: »
    Sharon, last few nights I've seen it.

Yes, she’s the main woman there now.

Wish she’d ditch the “whispering”type delivery though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,427 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Saw the 6.1 news a few times last week and yes keelan looks relaxed and doesn't look overly nervous as it's not her first picnic. Catriona perry though seems like she is going to crack the desk she's gripping it so hard. And it's a big gig and she's probably nervous so hopefully it passes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Did anyone notice the new spilt screens in the studio? Looks terrible.

Did anyone notice the new spilt screens in the studio? Looks terrible.

:eek:

Who squirted !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Saw the 6.1 news a few times last week and yes keelan looks relaxed and doesn't look overly nervous as it's not her first picnic. Catriona perry though seems like she is going to crack the desk she's gripping it so hard. And it's a big gig and she's probably nervous so hopefully it passes.

You'd wonder why she's nervous. If anything this gig is a backward step for her. Going from the White House and having to do plenty of unexpected slots for various news bulletins where she was answering questions about the days events...........that seem's a lot more taxing than reading an autocue.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Enfilade wrote: »
    Brian on the other hand seems his same old self and right at home in Washington. Glad he's shot of TV3 he was wasted on them.

Yeah I think Brian ODonovan has had a strong start to his new role as Washington corresspondent. In fact on last Fridays news he sent a report in which was of him interviewing people on the street asking their views, which is something I dont think Catriona Perry did in her time there, she was always just stuck in some studio talking to camera. At least ODonovan is getting out and about and he seems to have bags of enthusiasm for the job.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Yeah I think Brian ODonovan has had a strong start to his new role as Washington corresspondent. In fact on last Fridays news he sent a report in which was of him interviewing people on the street asking their views, which is something I dont think Catriona Perry did in her time there, she was always just stuck in some studio talking to camera. At least ODonovan is getting out and about and he seems to have bags of enthusiasm for the job.

O'Donovan looks like he'll be a future anchor. Speaks well, and clear, and seems to know his subject matter quite well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭smilerf

Jesus that blonde girl hasn't a clue. She looks terrified

O'Donovan looks like he'll be a future anchor. Speaks well, and clear, and seems to know his subject matter quite well.

Hmm…… Ms Perry give proof that a good correspondent doesn’t necessarily make a good anchor.

Agree that ODonovan has came across very well so far, authorative and clear as you say, and seems to have plenty of energy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Agricola wrote: »
    You'd wonder why she's nervous. If anything this gig is a backward step for her. Going from the White House and having to do plenty of unexpected slots for various news bulletins where she was answering questions about the days events...........that seem's a lot more taxing than reading an autocue.

It's not, it's a boost for her career (if she seizes the day). Foreign correspondent posts are little more than a dead end if you stay in a role long enough. The only location jobs that can make a career is war or misery reporter - Kate Aidy, Orla Guerin, Martin Bell, Fergal Keane, Geraldo Rivera etc are famous in themselves. A bog-standard Washington, Moscow, London etc type has no real profile to build upon. It appears Perry got lucky as RTE decided to cull all the men from 6-1 so they needed a young blonde woman to partner the more experienced older brunette one (cynical me?)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I see today that both of them are turned to their right so Keelan Shanley's back was facing Catrine Perry. It looked ridiculous.

On the off chance that someone from RTE sees this thread, start the news like you did with Dobbo and Sharon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

All-female line-ups: RTÉ have made changes to the Late Debate and the News at One

Looks to me like RTE are falling over themselves at this stage to push as women forward as possible as presenters.

I'm all for female presenters, but let them all find their level. Shunting all the men out the door is simply creating the same problem that they're trying to 'solve'. People will go elsewhere if they are being forced to digest a particular type of social engineering.

Although I would be all for Ryan Tubridy being socially engineered out the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

lertsnim wrote: »
    I see today that both of them are turned to their right so Keelan Shanley's back was facing Catrine Perry. It looked ridiculous.

On the off chance that someone from RTE sees this thread, start the news like you did with Dobbo and Sharon.

Looks like they have also swapped seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Looks like they have also swapped seats.

They rotate positions every night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

And could there be a moratorium in RTE of the D4 accent? Having to hear and read how so many people find the Cork accent hilarious for so long; it baffles me how the faux English, mid Atlantic and the D4 accents have dominated our national airwaves for all of Ireland's broadcast history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Advertisement

And could there be a moratorium in RTE of the D4 accent? Having to hear and read how so many people find the Cork accent hilarious for so long; it baffles me how the faux English, mid Atlantic and the D4 accents have dominated our national airwaves for all of Ireland's broadcast history.

I’m afraid little chance of that, all the new lot seem to have the,What was sometimes referred to as ‘the road watch accent’ where ‘e’ is pronynced ‘a’ as in pleasant becoming ‘plassant’ ‘guest’ becoming ‘gast’.

Della Kilroy on Drivetime is a good example, terrible accent .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Well at least the 6.1 goes out live.

As of next Monday the Nuacht will be prerecorded at 5 o'clock and broadcast 40 minutes later, because RTÉ seem convinced that Irish language speakers are behind the times (at least 40 minutes behind).

RTE - taking the 'new' out of 'news'. You really couldn't make it up.

https://tuairisc.ie/plean-ag-rte-an-nuacht-ghaeilge-a-reamhthaifead-agus-gan-aon-reiteach-go-foill-ar-easaontas-le-tg4/

• Registered Users Posts: 20,407 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Are they allowed wear the same clobber every night or not be seen in same dress twice?

I've only noticed them standing together at the start looking rather at a loss. Seems like a severe knee jerk reaction at the first hint of sexism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

maudgonner wrote: »
    Well at least the 6.1 goes out live.

As of next Monday the Nuacht will be prerecorded at 5 o'clock and broadcast 40 minutes later, because RTÉ seem convinced that Irish language speakers are behind the times (at least 40 minutes behind).

RTE - taking the 'new' out of 'news'. You really couldn't make it up.

https://tuairisc.ie/plean-ag-rte-an-nuacht-ghaeilge-a-reamhthaifead-agus-gan-aon-reiteach-go-foill-ar-easaontas-le-tg4/

And it's to be broadcast from Montrose again, having been broadcast from Baile na hAbhann for quite some time (using a reproduction of the Montrose set, right next to the Nuacht TG4 set).

Nuacht TG4 - which RTE produces at no cost to TG4 themselves - unveiled new titles and a new set last week. And if I've translated that article correctly, there were plans to use this set for the Irish-language bulletin on RTE1 too, and to brand the bulletin as Nuacht TG4 rather than Nuacht RTE.

For whatever reason, however, disagreements arose between RTE and TG4, and thus the bulletin is going back to Montrose for the time being at least. But it's still airing at 5:45 - meaning that it simply isn't possible for it to go out live.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

For whatever reason, however, disagreements arose between RTE and TG4, and thus the bulletin is going back to Montrose for the time being at least. But it's still airing at 5:45 - meaning that it simply isn't possible for it to go out live.

It's a 9 minute bulletin that airs at 5:40, leaving over 10 minutes to turn the studio around for the 6.1. Given that no changes would be needed to the set or equipment that should be totally possible. And the RTÉ email suggests as much - it says they are prerecording Nuacht so as to not put 'any stress or detraction' on the 6.1.

It not only shows a lack of respect for Nuacht and the Irish language service that is their statutory obligation to provide, but as a news organisation they should be ashamed of being willing to consider it.

In the UK one of the regional ITV stations prerecorded their local news when they had a staffing emergency (they had no director). Ofcom read them the riot act over it.
    https://www.theguardian.com/media/2005/apr/04/itv.tvnews
    That was a one-off crisis measure. RTÉ are willfully planning this, a week in advance. After seemingly months of negotiations have brought it to this point, during which time they failed to put a better alternative in place. Daft.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭DubTony

I’m afraid little chance of that, all the new lot seem to have the,What was sometimes referred to as ‘the road watch accent’ where ‘e’ is pronynced ‘a’ as in pleasant becoming ‘plassant’ ‘guest’ becoming ‘gast’.

Della Kilroy on Drivetime is a good example, terrible accent .

The road watch accent is all over the country these days. It definitely doesn't apply to any angle location. Lorraine Keane introduced us to The Walkinstown Rind-a-bite, and the big county was renamed Coirk.
    A while ago I heard an American presenter refer to Quark City in Ireland (can't remember where or how), but it was straight out of a new Ireland phrase book. She'd obviously spoken to a native.

Can you hear that conversation?

So, you're from Cork City?
    ... Yeah Coirk.
    Quark?
    ... Yeah - Coirk.
    Coirk ??? or Quark ???
    ... Yeah.

DubTony wrote: »
    The road watch accent is all over the country these days. It definitely doesn't apply to any angle location. Lorraine Keane introduced us to The Walkinstown Rind-a-bite, and the big county was renamed Coirk.
    A while ago I heard an American presenter refer to Quark City in Ireland (can't remember where or how), but it was straight out of a new Ireland phrase book. She'd obviously spoken to a native.

... Yeah Coirk.
    Quark?
    ... Yeah - Coirk.
    Coirk ??? or Quark ???
    ... Yeah.

Correct Tony it's more ' Koe -erk.

You will have noticed I'm sure every time there is the vowel 'o' before 'r' it's 'broken up' as in 'before' becomes 'befoe-er or 'more' becomes 'moe-er'

Terrible stuff.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

maudgonner wrote: »
    It
    In the UK one of the regional ITV stations prerecorded their local news when they had a staffing emergency (they had no director). Ofcom read them the riot act over it.
    https://www.theguardian.com/media/2005/apr/04/itv.tvnews

Alas but that was thirteen years ago, and Ofcom attitudes have changed somewhat since then - either Tyne Tees News or Lookaround and either the West or Westcountry versions of ITV News West Country are recorded now on a daily basis - this after a brief period when the two sets of regions concerned were completely merged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

icdg wrote: »
    Alas but that was thirteen years ago, and Ofcom attitudes have changed somewhat since then - either Tyne Tees News or Lookaround and either the West or Westcountry versions of ITV News West Country are recorded now on a daily basis - this after a brief period when the two sets of regions concerned were completely merged.

What's your view on the Nuacht moving back to Montrose and being pre-recorded? Silly, or a necessity while RTE and TG4 try to resolve this dispute?

No doubt most of the people involved are disappointed that it's leaving Baile na hAbhann for now. And more than likely they're hoping it returns there fairly soon, whether or not it uses the Nuacht TG4 set.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

DubTony wrote: »

... Yeah Coirk.
    Quark?
    ... Yeah - Coirk.
    Coirk ??? or Quark ???
    ... Yeah.

Remember that bimbo on Fox News who was interviewing Paul Connolly and couldn't pronounce Dublin?

Advertisement