Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RTÉ 6.1 News changes

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

What's your view on the Nuacht moving back to Montrose and being pre-recorded? Silly, or a necessity while RTE and TG4 try to resolve this dispute?

I think it’s silly that the dispute arose in the first place. Not sure why TG4 would not just turn down but actively object to RTE running what would amount to a free ten minute advert for them right before Six One. For RTE, it makes sense to reduce costs by giving Nuacht RTE the same look as Nuacht TG4 - I’m not sure why it hasn’t before now.

I don’t personally think TV news should be prerecorded (though look at RTE News Now - we’ll over 50% of its entire airtime consists of prerecorded News) but I can see why RTE is doing it in the circumstances. There may be an element of wanting to put pressure on TG4 to agree to the planned changes. It’s not like it’s being pre recorded hours before transmission like some programming on News Now - it’s shortly before transmission. Yes it’ll miss out on major breaking news - but Six One will report that anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,350 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The 'standing up for the intro' bit is just a bit silly IMHO. I know some the UK shows are doing it but really, just read the damn news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

icdg wrote: »
    I think it’s silly that the dispute arose in the first place. Not sure why TG4 would not just turn down but actively object to RTE running what would amount to a free ten minute advert for them right before Six One. For RTE, it makes sense to reduce costs by giving Nuacht RTE the same look as Nuacht TG4 - I’m not sure why it hasn’t before now.

I don’t personally think TV news should be prerecorded (though look at RTE News Now - we’ll over 50% of its entire airtime consists of prerecorded News) but I can see why RTE is doing it in the circumstances. There may be an element of wanting to put pressure on TG4 to agree to the planned changes. It’s not like it’s being pre recorded hours before transmission like some programming on News Now - it’s shortly before transmission. Yes it’ll miss out on major breaking news - but Six One will report that anyway.

Unless I've mistranslated that Tuairisc.ie article, I think it might actually be the other way round - it's RTE who are objecting to the bulletin being branded Nuacht TG4.

I reckon TG4 would only be delighted to have their brand appear for ten minutes right before the Six-One.

Totally agree, though, this is a silly dispute. In the years that Nuacht RTE has been at Baile na hAbhann, it's been Nuacht TG4 in all but name and set - using the same presenters, the same reporters and the same staff. And RTE are still happy to produce Nuacht TG4 - and have also started producing the channel's current affairs show 7 Lá, which also uses the Nuacht TG4 set (previously it was produced by TG4 themselves and had its own set).

As I said, it's likely that most of the people involved hope that the bulletin returns to Baile na hAbhann in the not-too-distant future, regardless what it's branded and what set it uses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The 'standing up for the intro' bit is just a bit silly IMHO. I know some the UK shows are doing it but really, just read the damn news.

Unless I've mistranslated that Tuairisc.ie article, I think it might actually be the other way round - it's RTE who are objecting to the bulletin being branded Nuacht TG4.

Now, I’m happy to admit that I am relying on Google translate to read that article, so I too maybe be misinterpreting. But if I am the dispute makes even less sense. TG4 have no power to demand that an RTE News programme on RTE use their branding (although I do realise that they are consenting to RTE’s use of their facilities). They would have to consent to RTE using their branding of course, but have now power to stop RTE using their own branding. Indeed that’s simply maintenance of the status quo, so there should be no dispute at all if that’s the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

icdg wrote: »
    Now, I’m happy to admit that I am relying on Google translate to read that article, so I too maybe be misinterpreting. But if I am the dispute makes even less sense. TG4 have no power to demand that an RTE News programme on RTE use their branding (although I do realise that they are consenting to RTE’s use of their facilities). They would have to consent to RTE using their branding of course, but have now power to stop RTE using their own branding. Indeed that’s simply maintenance of the status quo, so there should be no dispute at all if that’s the case.

Go Harvey's interpretation was correct, RTÉ were the ones who pulled out of the deal. Tuairisc has been following this story for a while, including last July when John Williams (head of RTÉ News) was in Baile na hAbhann to announce the plans for the changes, including branding of 'Nuacht TG4 ar RTÉ'
    https://tuairisc.ie/seo-chugainn-nuacht-tg4-ar-rteathru-mor-i-ndan-don-nuacht-ghaeilge-ar-theilifis/

Given that the agreement was reached and announced I think TG4 have every right to feel aggrieved that RTÉ are pulling out of the deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭brick man

What's your view on the Nuacht moving back to Montrose and being pre-recorded? Silly, or a necessity while RTE and TG4 try to resolve this dispute?

That means it will go out live on RTE News Now as they have live nuacht at 5 every weekday since 2013

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

I actually think that Perry has gotten slightly better. There has been some subtle changes to her wardrobe and presentation style. Hope she improves more.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,679 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I actually think that Perry has gotten slightly better. There has been some subtle changes to her wardrobe and presentation style. Hope she improves more.

I had been thinking the same or was it I was not watching it all that much

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I've completely gone off the 6.1 lately.

I used to watch almost religiously when it was Dobbo & Sharon.

Perry still looks very 'uncomfortable' in the role.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

I've completely gone off the 6.1 lately.

I used to watch almost religiously when it was Dobbo & Sharon.

Me too, can't warm to either of them for whatever reason. And It actually shows how important a good presenter is to news shows. In fact, I'd actually rate TV3's bulletin as better than the current 6.1 incarnation.

Maybe it takes time to adjust, but this was a very risky move by RTE to make wholesale changes to the line-up. The previously untouchable 6.1 is now very vulnerable.

Ray Kennedy in for Catriona Perry this evening,

Going forward this would be my preferred partnership.

Ray Kennedy in for Catriona Perry this evening,

Going forward this would be my preferred partnership.

If the rumour mill was to be believed that was supposed to happen and then a last second change!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,047 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

If the rumour mill was to be believed that was supposed to happen and then a last second change!!!

Yes, could be a runner.

Keelin is a lock for the future, welded in.

The pouter is the weak link.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Catriona Perry's voice goes through me. And I can't stand the overlong sign off which seems to be sacrosanct in the script.

Dipped into the news at 6:03, was I correct in assuming that Brian O'Donovan was not on the scene in Florida?

Dipped into the news at 6:03, was I correct in assuming that Brian O'Donovan was not on the scene in Florida?

Didn’t see it myself but probably wouldn’t be able to do much more from Florida than he can do from Washington

The dispute between RTE and TG4 is now resolved - "Nuacht RTE le TG4" first aired from Baile na hAbhann last Monday. :D:);)

vrczna.jpg

Here's the press release announcing the new approach:

http://www.rte.ie/about/en/press-office/press-releases/2018/0322/949260-ceim-nua-den-chomhar-pairtneireachta-idir-rte-agus-tg4/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The Irish Times is reporting that €1.7 million will be spent on upgrading the RTÉ News studio this year.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/rt%C3%A9-to-spend-1-7m-on-a-makeover-of-its-news-studio-1.3518907?mode=amp

The new improvements include

expanded floor space for new second news desk
    new automated camera system
    new video wall
    new LED lighting
    new graphics

And it will be done in it's current studio which is Studio 3. Successful tenderers must sumbit their interest by the 9th of July.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Jaysis 1.7 million is some money. Didnt they upgrade the news studio in 2009 for similar money? I wonder what happens the old studio, like can they sell it somewhere or does it literally get broken down and binned.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Ireland trains

Will this include a new intro and music

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The thick end of 2m on something working perfectly well at a time of dramatic revenue shortfall. Well done RTE. People watch the news on RTE cos they always have done.

Sorry if this is a tad off topic but Cahill bigged up a new studio for The Sunday Game.

Looked like I was watching from the wrong end of binoculars.

Terrible, in my opinion.

They’ve had that set more or less nine years, whereas from the 1980s to the late 2000s they used to change everything every three years or so. It’s had a good innings as news sets go.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Shifty Shellshock

Will the new improved set feature busty new weather girls?

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Ireland trains

Just a note that
    In 2009 rte had 17 presenters
    7 men and 10 women
    In June 2018 they have 11
    2 men, 9 women and lots of these would have been rare relief presenters
    I wonder if there is a chance of any more presenters.
    It would be good to see the likes of miriam and david from prime time presenting the news a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

[quote="
    It would be good to see the likes of miriam and david from prime time presenting the news a bit[/quote]

Miriam O'Callaghan presenting the news.... Genuinely,.....?!?!?!?!?! Ah stop...

Just a note that
    In 2009 rte had 17 presenters
    7 men and 10 women
    In June 2018 they have 11
    2 men, 9 women and lots of these would have been rare relief presenters
    I wonder if there is a chance of any more presenters.
    It would be good to see the likes of miriam and david from prime time presenting the news a bit

Hmmmm ....nah

Couldn’t stand Meeeeeeriams accent and Dottsie moving his eyebrows up and down.

Nah...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I think that RTÉ News have tried to make attempts to be more relevant with their news output. I suppose to change the identity for RTÉ News could work in theory to bring in a new audience to their news bulletins. However it costed RTÉ an awful lot of money to have Studio 3 rebuilt in 2009 with something that was deemed to be a high tech newsroom at that time.

Spending €5 million of licence payer's money at that point was not something that was meant to be sneezed at when Ireland was going through the grips of a huge recession in nearly every part of the country. The move to build a new studio from the public at that was deemed to be controversial because they had concerns that RTÉ had to be prudent with their finances to keep their long term futures intact & not to bring in huge losses on it's books.

This message from the public appears to have failed to dissuade RTÉ up to now because they are currently struggling with big problems at the moment. They currently have a large deficit to manage in 2018 because they are currently experiencing a lot of financial challenges in TV Licence evasion & showing heavy losses in advertising revenue. They also spent a huge amount of money, literally tens of millions of euro, for the launch of Saorview in Ireland since the EU's DSO in 2012. A lot of people are questioning RTÉ's own reasoning behind this plan to build another new news studio for 2018 because they recently had shed staff through their various failed redundancy schemes to let go hundreds of staff behind the scenes in other departments.

RTÉ News is currently exempt from the current cutbacks at the broadcaster in which I think is a good thing to do at this time. Their standard of journalism & quality of output has been very good from the public's point of view. The public who heard this story from the mainstream Irish media today do seem to feel uneasy when hearing about another new refresh for RTÉ news. This is because RTÉ are clearly spending far more money than intended after they spent a small amount of money last time to have their current look in place since 2014.

I actually really appreciate the current look of RTÉ News right now rather than changing it to suit some accountants or news heads at the broadcaster. I say that because the quality of their bulletins has held up really well with itself with the public for over the last 4 years. The studio itself in the past nine years has gone through some big events in that time with a number of it's own newsreaders leaving RTÉ News to do other projects outside of it or having a serious illness, having two new female presenters for the Six one & having Bryan Dobson moving to Morning Ireland on RTÉ Radio 1.

I suppose RTÉ News having a new studio in place to be built during the summer will bring it to a brand new era of news output for the Irish public to experience from their homes. If RTÉ News want to bring that experience to the public's homes with a brand new look. It has to feel a whole lot better than their current look that they have right now otherwise it will become a failure and a huge waste of money.

Advertisement