Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RTÉ 6.1 News changes

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

They never have 2 on in August, also they go to 30 mins, due to the Oireachtas not sitting and no courts.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Halpenny

Anybody else out there who has started to watch the 6 One news again since Ray Kennedy started regular position with Keelin? I know if/when Perry returns I won't be tuning in. I could manage when she was on just as US correspondence but she's too difficult to watch for a whole hour.

Soz caitriona nothing personal :/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,052 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Halpenny wrote: »
    Anybody else out there who has started to watch the 6 One news again since Ray Kennedy started regular position with Keelin? I know if/when Perry returns I won't be tuning in. I could manage when she was on just as US correspondence but she's too difficult to watch for a whole hour.

Saying it as it is, Hal

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Ray Kennedy is a star.

Can't believe RTE succumbed to the SJW equality tripe by putting Perry in.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Ireland trains

Perry gone for 3 weeks now
    I assume she will be back soon (sadly)
    Any idea on when the news revamp will take place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

It a pleasure to watch without Caitriona Perry . Ray and Keelin are so relaxed and easy to listen to

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Catriona is back tonight but with Ray Kennedy this time round. It looks like Keelin is gone on her holidays.

What is this combo like?

Perry just sounds like she's trying extra hard to pronounce everything perfectly. Not a natural at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Halpenny

Haven't seen the news this week yet but all I can think is 😭

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Since the changes I rarely watch the 6.1 anymore and instead tend to tune in for the 9pm version which is usually Sharon or Eileen, both total pros. I still cant believe how Perry got that job, surely she had to do screen tests in the studio to see if she would be comfortable in it? Then again this is RTE so maybe not. Either way we are probably stuck with Perry on the 6.1 for years to come so for me its better to avoid it altogther rather than get myself annoyed watching it !

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Since the changes I rarely watch the 6.1 anymore and instead tend to tune in for the 9pm version which is usually Sharon or Eileen, both total pros. I still cant believe how Perry got that job, surely she had to do screen tests in the studio to see if she would be comfortable in it? Then again this is RTE so maybe not. Either way we are probably stuck with Perry on the 6.1 for years to come so for me its better to avoid it altogther rather than get myself annoyed watching it !

Doubtful. I'd say they just trawled through their female presenters/reporters and gave it to someone decently well known.

It was an appointment, not a competition for the job.

Those two were ‘appointed’ think they made a mistake.

Nothing personal but not a good combo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Catriona interviewed Leo Varadkar who was in Kerry this evening,between a short time delay on the transmission and her long drawn out questions it was hard viewing.

Catriona interviewed Leo Varadkar who was in Kerry this evening,between a short time delay on the transmission and her long drawn out questions it was hard viewing.

Didn’t see it, but have to say the lass is not up to this gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭nc6000

Very harsh comments about Catriona, I don't see what the issue is.

The consensus is that she is not suitable to the role.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

nc6000 wrote: »
    Very harsh comments about Catriona, I don't see what the issue is.

For me anyway she is too uptight , not relaxed , no charisma , no warmth . She seems robotic .

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    For me anyway she is too uptight , not relaxed , no charisma , no warmth . She seems robotic .

That sums it up well, nothing personal.

The comments are constructive,and fair, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Yeah it's absolutely nothing personal to Catriona. I like her and was a big fan of her stint in Washington and she seemed to be enjoying her time there. I saw the first few times she did the news, and god love her she looked so nervous. I mean of course she was given the big seat she was taking over, but it seems the nerves are still there. I really hope she can become less nervous and just relax(easy for me to say I know) as as she showed in the washington correspondent, she has the talent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

It was an appointment, not a competition for the job.

Those two were ‘appointed’ think they made a mistake.

Nothing personal but not a good combo.

I've no issue with Keelan and it's clear she is able to do it. Catriona just seems nervous or is trying too hard to not make a mistake which can come across as roboting and not natural.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I've no issue with Keelan and it's clear she is able to do it. Catriona just seems nervous or is trying too hard to not make a mistake which can come across as roboting and not natural.

Like all these jobs,basic background is what makes or breaks you.

It’s the innate learned knowledge of stuff which you just ‘know’ that usually carries the day.Gives you the confidence to appear in control and relaxed.

Unfortunately the younger punters in journalism don’t seem to have it, sure they can google stuff and that, sure they can present reports and stuff, but when forced to think on their feet and react to a moving target and pin down the relevant important information they seem to struggle.

They are not confident enough in their own background and are afraid to show themselves up with a major blooper.

That’s Catriona’s problem on 6.1 I feel , excellent at reportage from the US but I feel struggling to grapple with the totally different scenario of the 6.1 slot for the reasons outlined above.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Perry made the same ‘Sunny South East, but not today’ twice already today!!

€5 says were on for the hat-trick for the next person she interviews!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

they need to stop sending blondie out in her party gear, i keep thinking fake green screen

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 28,363 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

silverharp wrote: »
    they need to stop sending blondie out in her party gear, i keep thinking fake green screen
    There is a nasty, sexist edge to some aspects of the criticism of the two ladies here.

The only sexist ones are RTE and their man hating style of management.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

My sister mentioned that to me the other day and remarked about during Perrys incident with Donald Trump (when Leo was on the phone to him and Perry was in the Oval Office) that Leo told Trump to tell Perry "thanks for the newspapers"- this was in reference to Leo becoming Taoiseach and his face made the front page of a few American papers so Perry (like the good Head Girl she is) went out and bought them in Washington and posted them to Leo to help stroke his ego.

As my sister remarked the job of a journalist is to ask hard questions and hold power to account and you cant exactly do that when you are going around behaving like a lick arse to the Taoiseach of the day. The relationship between politicians and journalists is supposed to be adversarial- you could never imagine someone like Jeremy Paxman licking the hole of an MP as Paxman takes pride in his job at giving them a hard time on behalf of the taxpayers.

Its not just a criticism of Perry but more so of the state of journalism in this country- when the TV cameras are switched off all the political correspondents are buddy buddy with Ministers of the day and are often seen drinking pints with them in Leinster House. I think it was David Davin Power who was up drinking with Biffo and the FF crew till 3am the night before Biffo did that famous radio interview still pissed- Davin Power tried to keep a lid on the story and was saying there was nothing to see here until Ursula Halligan scooped him and reported what had actually being going on in the residents bar the night before. So on one hand you had the RTE political corresspondent (who is paid from our tv license money) trying to put a lid on a hot story while Halligan (who is paid by private TV3) actually reporting the truth and facts of the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

There is a nasty, sexist edge to some aspects of the criticism of the two ladies here.

[snipped the personal dig] there is something off with some of their outdoor broadcasts, there was even a partial white line between the presenter and the background, its distracting

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Muahahaha wrote: »
    My sister mentioned that to me the other day and remarked about during Perrys incident with Donald Trump (when Leo was on the phone to him and Perry was in the Oval Office) that Leo told Trump to tell Perry "thanks for the newspapers"- this was in reference to Leo becoming Taoiseach and his face made the front page of a few American papers so Perry (like the good Head Girl she is) went out and bought them in Washington and posted them to Leo to help stroke his ego.

As my sister remarked the job of a journalist is to ask hard questions and hold power to account and you cant exactly do that when you are going around behaving like a lick arse to the Taoiseach of the day. The relationship between politicians and journalists is supposed to be adversarial- you could never imagine someone like Jeremy Paxman licking the hole of an MP as Paxman takes pride in his job at giving them a hard time on behalf of the taxpayers.

Its not just a criticism of Perry but more so of the state of journalism in this country- when the TV cameras are switched off all the political correspondents are buddy buddy with Ministers of the day and are often seen drinking pints with them in Leinster House. I think it was David Davin Power who was up drinking with Biffo and the FF crew till 3am the night before Biffo did that famous radio interview still pissed- Davin Power tried to keep a lid on the story and was saying there was nothing to see here until Ursula Halligan scooped him and reported what had actually being going on in the residents bar the night before. So on one hand you had the RTE political corresspondent (who is paid from our tv license money) trying to put a lid on a hot story while Halligan (who is paid by private TV3) actually reporting the truth and facts of the story.

Might take me a while to get those disturbing descriptions out of my head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Ireland trains

Noticed a new newsreaders on six one today.
    I think i caught her name and its Carla
    Very professional and better than perry anyway

Advertisement