Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion II

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Did they play it before any WC games in the past? Both in rugby or any other sport? No of course not.
    Do any of the countries do it? Completely needless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭MaybeMaybe

razorblunt wrote: »
    GSTQ before the Baa Baas game, jesus wept.

Isn't it always played before baa baa games ?

MaybeMaybe wrote: »
    Isn't it always played before baa baa games ?

Not that I know of, the commentators said it was for the "hosts".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭MaybeMaybe

Not that I know of, the commentators said it was for the "hosts".

I thought they did because they are technically a London club. Open to correction though

Christian Day making a case for the banning of blades.
    WARNING - nasty enough cut.

https://twitter.com/christianday/status/926871888386805760

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Christian Day making a case for the banning of blades.
    WARNING - nasty enough cut.

https://twitter.com/christianday/status/926871888386805760

Nasty gash but why would backs be scrum bar a yc ? There's plenty of nasty injuries in rugby that are not connected to blades.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/2017/11/01/warren-gatland-eddie-jones-should-next-lions-coach-billy-vunipolas/
    "I’d like to see Eddie Jones [coach the next Lions series]," Gatland told the Guardian. "Considering that Billy Vunipola said the Lions would have won 3-0 in New Zealand if Eddie had been coach, I’d like to ask Billy why they didn’t win in Dublin to win the Six Nations.”

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Is the only rugby on today really Top 14?! This is like getting to the pub and finding out the only beer they have is Budweiser!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Bazzo wrote: »
    Is the only rugby on today really Top 14?! This is like getting to the pub and finding out the only beer they have is Budweiser!

Saracens are playing Harlequins in the hugely competitive and very definitely good Anglo-Welsh Cup

Saracens are playing Harlequins in the hugely competitive and very definitely good Anglo-Welsh Cup

This is like getting to the pub and finding out the only beers are Budweiser and Bud Light!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Bazzo wrote: »
    This is like getting to the pub and finding out the only beers are Budweiser and Bud Light!

or Harp......

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Cracking game in Montpellier right now, Clermont giving them all sorts of trouble.

(On Sky Sports Arena)

• .ak wrote: »
    Cracking game in Montpellier right now, Clermont giving them all sorts of trouble.

(On Sky Sports Arena)

Watching it on Canal+ where for half time entertainment French Marie Therese interviews Sebastian Chabal in front of a studio audience.

Fairly crunching encounter.

• Huge huge intercept there, Glasgow double header against Montpellier could be very hard to call.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,977 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Huge huge intercept there, Glasgow double header against Montpellier could be very hard to call.

Depends on how glasgow approach them. Are Glasgow home first?

Nadolo's strike rate is incredible. I don't remember the last game I watched with him involved where he didn't score at least one try and IIRC the last 3 I've watched with him(this season) he's scored 2.

Sarries just blew a 20 point lead v Quins

Joy Neville reffed a welsh premiership game yesterday. Just saw on scrum v

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/liam-williams-sees-speech-therapist-13860025.amp

Something I never knew about Williams, good on him and hopefully he can overcome it

• Administrators Posts: 53,127 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Didn't realise that rugby league has a world cup. :pac:

And it actually has 14 teams, of which Ireland are one, even though it seems that half the teams are just Australians in different coloured jerseys to make up the numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Aki's "Irishness" was discussed on Claire Byrne Live tonight and it's left me thinking that is there some racism involved. Racism from his defenders who are defending his ability to play for Ireland mainly because he's not white. Payne, Stander, and Strauss never got this defence, or got their case argued on a political show. Now any criticism of him playing for Ireland is being reduced to an implied criticism of his skin colour.

I don't in general have much respect for that show and it was reinforced tonight where you had Neil Francis on one side and the Brent Pope and Eoin McDevitt on the other with Claire herself being on the opposite side to Francis. In effect it was a 3 on 1 with each of the three getting almost equal time each as Francis.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Aki's "Irishness" was discussed on Claire Byrne Live tonight and it's left me thinking that is there some racism involved. Racism from his defenders who are defending his ability to play for Ireland mainly because he's not white. Payne, Stander, and Strauss never got this defence, or got their case argued on a political show. Now any criticism of him playing for Ireland is being reduced to an implied criticism of his skin colour.

Ha, gas. What a stunning mischaracterisation.

Not every viewpoint deserves equal time.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,742 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I don't in general have much respect for that show and it was reinforced tonight where you had Neil Francis on one side and the Brent Pope and Eoin McDevitt on the other with Claire herself being on the opposite side to Francis. In effect it was a 3 on 1 with each of the three getting almost equal time each as Francis.

I’ve often been amused by those people who bring race into an issue calling others racist. The vast, vast majority of people who have issue with Aki representing Ireland have absolutely no racial motivation behind it at all. The discussion of racism is so massively disproportionate to the actual occurrences of it. And Akis racial profile is only ever brought up by people claiming others are racist, that I’ve seen anyway. It’s modern day outrage at its best. Identify what you can get outraged by and then apply it even in cases where there’s no evidence it even exists. Interject it into conversations it has nothing to do with. Tell people it’s true even if they can’t see it themselves.

However, didn’t Rodney Ah You represent Ireland without any of this drama?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Yeah, there was no need for both Pope and McDevitt to be there considering they were both giving the same side of the debate.

Popey's main contribution was to confuse things by throwing the granny rule and New Zealand-born players representing Samoa into it. I thought it was gas that he used "what about Michael Bent" to back up his arguments, when Francis hasn't stopped giving out about Bent for five years. McDevitt was a much better contributor.

But I don't know if I picked up any racism in a sort of "Payne was OK because he's white, Aki isn't because he's not" way. I guess you could question why it was being discussed at all, but maybe it was just a slow news day.

When Claire told us they'd taken an audience poll, I was expecting a landslide in favour of foreigners playing for Ireland, I was surprised that the majority were against it.

In fairness to Neil Francis, anyone implying that he's a racist is way off base. He's been steadfastly against project players and granny rule players for as long as I can remember. Unfortunately, it's just too easy to call someone a racist and dismiss their arguments.

molloyjh wrote: »
    I’ve often been amused by those people who bring race into an issue calling others racist. The vast, vast majority of people who have issue with Aki representing Ireland have absolutely no racial motivation behind it at all. The discussion of racism is so massively disproportionate to the actual occurrences of it. And Akis racial profile is only ever brought up by people claiming others are racist, that I’ve seen anyway. It’s modern day outrage at its best. Identify what you can get outraged by and then apply it even in cases where there’s no evidence it even exists. Interject it into conversations it has nothing to do with. Tell people it’s true even if they can’t see it themselves.

Just to be clear, it wasn't mentioned ONCE in the discussion. At no point did any of them suggest that Francis' opinion was altered by Aki's heritage.

You'd have to be pretty obsessed with race to watch that show in isolation and decide any of these people are inherently racist.

Popey's main contribution was to confuse things by throwing the granny rule and New Zealand-born players representing Samoa into it. I thought it was gas that he used "what about Michael Bent" to back up his arguments, when Francis hasn't stopped giving out about Bent for five years. McDevitt was a much better contributor.

Hang on, it needs to be made clear Francis said during the discussion he had no problem with people representing Ireland on the granny rule because they had "ties to Ireland".
    When Claire told us they'd taken an audience poll, I was expecting a landslide in favour of foreigners playing for Ireland, I was surprised that the majority were against it.

Because the question was completely stupid and didn't provide any context. "Should citizens of other countries be allowed play for Ireland"... eh no... unless...

molloyjh wrote: »

Rodney made his (brief) debut in Argentina in a game that few people saw and even fewer remember.

And after his debut, it was very, very, obvious that he wouldn't be keeping any home-grown players out of the team.

But likewise, Niyi Adeolokun got his cap last year and no-one breathed a negative word about it, it was a good news story all round.

As you say, it's modern day outrage. If people scream "racism", "sexism" or whatever, they feel better about themselves, and anyone who questions it is labelled an apologist/defender/part of the problem.

As you say, it's modern day outrage. If people scream "racism", "sexism" or whatever, they feel better about themselves, and anyone who questions it is labelled an apologist/defender/part of the problem.

However, dismissing racism when it appears for this reason, is shameful.

However, dismissing racism when it appears for this reason, is shameful.

Agreed.

Luckily, no-one here is dismissing racism.

• Advertisement

Agreed.

Luckily, no-one here is dismissing racism.

No. But the point you made is constantly made, lazily, in an attempt to dismiss it. Or rather to dismiss accusations of it. Exactly what happened to Eniola Aluko or Drew Spence and exactly what happened recently with UR.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement