Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

C/D licence material

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

That seems like a good price.

Was that a package deal paid for upfront?

Yeah paid for upfront, as you may have seen from another thread my boss paid for mine so i didnt have a big outlay.

Hire of the truck on its own is €200

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Yeah paid for upfront, as you may have seen from another thread my boss paid for mine so i didnt have a big outlay.

Yes we discussed it over there :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Did you pass? I think it was yourself, the tester called in sick or something..

Are Swilly any good? I don't want to race to the bottom on price, but if they are good and at that price I won't complain.

Yeah Rome wasn't but I have the itch to get started.

Do I have to wait six month to schedule a test?

TallGlass wrote: »

Are Swilly any good? I don't want to race to the bottom on price, but if they are good and at that price I won't complain.

Finnharpsboy passed his test :D

I did my own rigid test with Swilly and got it :)

Stephen Sweeney looked after me.

The race to the bottom is what the trucking industry has become in many area's.

It is slowly recovering but not by the standards of years ago, and it never will as automation comes ever closer.

There is no 6 month wait for categories C,D,CE.

I know the CPC isn't part of your initial plans at present but it might be wise to have it even if you don't plan to do it straight away, it will work out cheaper in the long run for you.

Yeah I passed :)
    I didnt do lessons with anyone else but the instructor i had, Francie, really was good. The odd little bollocking if you did something silly but nothing over the top.

Pre-test before the test i made a right mess of setting up for the left hand reverse round the corner, Francie not so much roared at me but gave me a right WTF are ya at..... Exact same corner in the test, not a single fault.

Four Lessons was enough for me but take your time and find an instructor your happy with and it will all fall into place for you.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 492 ✭✭Gerrup Outta Dat!

I have the current disc. Is it easy to make a copy? If so, I’ll email it to you in a zip doc.

I have the current disc. Is it easy to make a copy? If so, I’ll email it to you in a zip doc.

Edition 8? :confused:

Edition 8? :confused:

The most recent one. I bought it a couple of months ago. Is ed 8 out yet?

The most recent one. I bought it a couple of months ago. Is ed 8 out yet?

Same cover as this?

http://www.bookstation.ie/bestsellers/115-official-driver-theory-test-q-a-book-6th-edition.html

Christ. I only bought it earlier this year (March perhaps?) in Easons in Swords.

Didn’t realise there’d been two whole editions since!

• Advertisement

Christ. I only bought it earlier this year (March perhaps?) in Easons in Swords.

Didn’t realise there’d been two whole editions since!

Usually every 2 years around October.

Your edition says Edition 6 October 2013, so yeah edition 8 is out,7 was well out when you got your one.

Usually every 2 years around October.

Your edition says Edition 6 October 2013, so yeah edition 8 is out,7 was well out when you got your one.

Christ, why were Easons even selling it? I might dig out my bank statements and complain. Someone should be severely punished for selling out of date software. The updated and new questions could be the difference between a pass and a fail for candidates using the old disc that was sold.

Christ, why were Easons even selling it? I might dig out my bank statements and complain. Someone should be severely punished for selling out of date software. The updated and new questions could be the difference between a pass and a fail for candidates using the old disc that was sold.

That syllabus was still active up until the 13th of Nov I think. In fairness, I think Prometric made an arse of the switch over. I was in a panic thinking all the questions would be different, but the bank still has the same questions and a few updated/added in.

I know the CPC isn't part of your initial plans at present but it might be wise to have it even if you don't plan to do it straight away, it will work out cheaper in the long run for you.

To be honest with ye, I haven't even looked at anything to do with CPC, I just seen a load of case studies and didn't really get the idea of what was going on.

I have module 1 done of the CPC with getting the learner permit, is that correct? What's module 2 then, is that another test with Prometric and then module 3 is with the RSA while I do the driving test?

To be honest with ye, I haven't even looked at anything to do with CPC, I just seen a load of case studies and didn't really get the idea of what was going on.

I have module 1 done of the CPC with getting the learner permit, is that correct? What's module 2 then, is that another test with Prometric and then module 3 is with the RSA while I do the driving test?

You have module 1 done? : confused:

Modules are only done by those who hold a licence.

There are 6 modules in total.

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Professional-Drivers/Driver-Hours/Getting-your-CPC/

The above link is how you get your CPC.

2 x theory tests
    A cases studies exam, a total of 3 of them.

And a show and tell,a walk around of your truck/Bus.

You have module 1 done? : confused:

Modules are only done by those who hold a licence.

There are 6 modules in total.

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Professional-Drivers/Driver-Hours/Getting-your-CPC/

The above link is how you get your CPC.

2 x theory tests
    A cases studies exam, a total of 3 of them.

And a show and tell,a walk around of your truck/Bus.

Sorry on mobile but talking about this;
    To become a professional bus or truck driver and obtain your ‘initial CPC’ you first must pass:

The new truck, the new bus or the new Combined Truck and Bus theory test as appropriate. (This new test permits successful candidates to apply for their learner permit as well as counting as a Pass for CPC Step 1)
    Two-hour case study theory test (Known as CPC Step 2)
    The standard 90-minute driving test (Known as CPC Step 3)
    30-minute practical test (Known as CPC Step 4)
    Please note: If you obtained your bus or truck learner permit before 30th September 2014 you will need to complete the CPC Step 1 theory test (set out at No 1 above).

In addition, you must then maintain your Driver CPC by completing the periodic refresher training of at least 35 hours of training over each five year period. If you are maintaining both a bus and a truck CPC you must complete 42hours training over each five year period.

So am I right in saying as above, I have step 1 done? I passed the combined bus/truck theory test.

Sorry on mobile but talking about this;

So am I right in saying as above, I have step 1 done? I passed the combined bus/truck theory test.

Jasus that's all changed.

It appears you are correct in what you are saying though about step 1.

Jasus that's all changed.

It appears you are correct in what you are saying though about step 1.

Aye, changed quite a bit it seems, so I might be better doing the step 2 just before my driving test as then I would have step 1/2/3 done? Then step 4 would have me have a full CPC then?

Aye, changed quite a bit it seems, so I might be better doing the step 2 just before my driving test as then I would have step 1/2/3 done? Then step 4 would have me have a full CPC then?

It has changed alot since i did mine,having just looked further into it :eek:

Yes, if you follow steps 1-4 you're sorted :D

If i compare the new system to the way i did it, step 4 can be done before step 3 in this case.

In my own case i did the CPC after the test for the rigid and before the test for the bus.

In the rigid i started off the shpw and tell from the drivers door and showed the tester what i would do as part of my daily walk around check, the below is not an exhaustive list,but just a sample of some of what i said:

Steps
    Mirrors
    Glass
    Under the arch for contraband
    Wheel nuts present and undanaged
    Tyres with no cracks,buldges,abrasions & thread dept not below 1.6mm
    Wipers
    Lights
    Tax,Insurance,CVRT.

In cab then is:

Indicator stalk
    Turn on dipped lights/full beams
    Heater switches
    Hazard lights
    Open down the window to give hand signals

Show them the calibration plate, usually just inside the door under the drivers seat.

Tachograph to be inspected every 2 years, calibrated every 6.

http://www.naascvrt.ie/services.html

On that. Would you do the Cab first? That you could start it up, leave lights on, indicators etc.. so you could check them while you do the walk around, and also check exhaust, and unusual noises?

Yeah might do the CPC if it isn't too much hassle. Also actually do you don't do a walk around check with the RSA tester before the test? I had to do one on the Motorbike.

• Advertisement

On that. Would you do the Cab first? That you could start it up, leave lights on, indicators etc.. so you could check them while you do the walk around, and also check exhaust, and unusual noises?

Yeah might do the CPC if it isn't too much hassle. Also actually do you don't do a walk around check with the RSA tester before the test? I had to do one on the Motorbike.

The RSA scheduled my CPC Practical for before the driving test. There was no starting up the truck or anything like that for the practical, more show me or tell me questions.

For the driving test the tester asked me to sit into the cab and he checked the lights and the front and back. I might be wrong but as far as I know, if it is just the driving test you are doing there will be no walk around check.

It can vary, some testers do the CPC beforehand,others do it afterwards.

In cab checks are done before the test itself.

As for the bike, you might refresh my memory a little please :D

P: Petrol
    O: Oil
    W: Water:confused:
    D::confused:
    E: Electrics
    R: Rubber:confused:
    S: :confused:
    The RSA scheduled my CPC Practical for before the driving test. There was no starting up the truck or anything like that for the practical, more show me or tell me questions.

For the driving test the tester asked me to sit into the cab and he checked the lights and the front and back. I might be wrong but as far as I know, if it is just the driving test you are doing there will be no walk around check.

The CPC practical is a walk around check essentially.

Back to this again. So bit of an update, got the licence (learner permit) so ready to go with a few lessons!

Just wondering what to expect for my first lesson?

@boardsuser1

P O W D E R S
    Petrol
    Oil
    Water (Coolant topped up to required level, no leaks obvious from system)
    Damage
    Electrical
    Rubber (tyre dept/condition)
    Safe not 100% but I think it's 'Safe', as in are you fit and well to drive!

Back to this again. So bit of an update, got the licence (learner permit) so ready to go with a few lessons!

Just wondering what to expect for my first lesson?

@boardsuser1

P O W D E R S
    Petrol
    Oil
    Water (Coolant topped up to required level, no leaks obvious from system)
    Damage
    Electrical
    Rubber (tyre dept/condition)
    Safe not 100% but I think it's 'Safe', as in are you fit and well to drive!

The first lesson I found to be the easiest and the hardest if that makes sense.
    The hardest in the sense that you don’t want to make a fool of yourself but the easiest in that there is no pressure because it’s the first one.

On my first lesson he asked me had I ever driven a truck before and I was lucky that I had, nothing major but had a couple of years of driving it up and down the yard in Work, parking it up in the sheds at night, not real driving but had a feel for the size of a truck.

If no is the answer, he will outline the buttons in the cab and all that stuff but the main thing will be the gearbox, it won’t be the usual 5 or 6 gear one in your car, it will be similar but will have extra gears.

The gear box in the swilly truck I used was like this:
    1 3 5 7
    2 4 6 8

After 4th it was push the gear stick into neutral between 5 and 6 then into 5 and carry on up the gears.

Once you start though you will get used to it fairly quick

finnharpsboy, thanks for that. I'm excited about it to be honest with you little nervous about it!

finnharpsboy, thanks for that. I'm excited about it to be honest with you little nervous about it!

I was the same but once the wheels start rolling and you get the first one or two dodgy gear changes out of the way you start to enjoy being on the road in a truck.

The nerves go until you have a date for your test and they start to come back a bit as your lessons get closer to test date but just do as you learn and you will be grand .

Well got the first lesson out of the way. I found it okay, instructor seemed happy. I am a bit 50/50, my breaking was awful, he was saying to feather the breaks, I assumed that to mean go lightly on them, to me it just felt like the truck wasn't doing anything, que me then going to hard on them.

Gearing was okay got the hang of it, had alot of trouble with the fourth gear mainly dropping down from 5th to 4th and up from 4th to 5th. It was like hitting the button down wasn't engaging anything and while I felt the truck moving it was just coasting along. He was saying to always take off in 3rd too? It worked fine infairness but seems a bit odd.

Then, some of the people overtaking the truck, Jesus Christ. Now I don't mind people over taking me, doesn't bother me just some of the overtaking that was performed was utterly shocking I mean, over taking a rigid truck on a bend. Along with people also driving way to close behind as in you'd look and the next there in your blind spot.

The main thing is the breaking. If I iron that out I should make some real progress. Size didn't bother me to much, I just need to remember the size more so on tighter roads, and entrances/exits from/to tighter roads. One exit on the Jamestown Road got very hairy lol. Won't make that mistake again. Along with so emergency breaking due to a guy who took a corner without seeing the big rigid coming on the other side of the road, amazing how people still can't see trucks and buses haha.

Any tips anyone? Another one this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Mirrors check them every couple of seconds get the big picture see what is ahead of you so you can slow down etc if needed too, Get use to were the controls are lights/wipers are etc adjust the the seat & steering so that you're not stretching to reach controls.(Remember in the real world you be stuck in the cab for up to 10/15 hrs a day so you need to be comfortable)
    Even drive the route in the car ( I did the night before my artic test back in the 90s) the gear changing will improve with time I often got into units that I didn't normally drive and struggled to select a gear, Same can be said for cars it is all about getting use to the gear box, Saying that the majority of trucks these days are automatic /semi must be eight years since I was in a manual.

Thanks DB, have to say I am improving much more. Been out with two of the guys, both really nice and both have told me to go ahead and book a test.

Think I will, the only thing is I sometimes slip on my mentality in that I keep on thinking I am in a car with regards some corners and stopping times. All can be ironed out I guess with a few more lessons.

But all in all, enjoyable so far and from driving the truck, it certainty isn't an easy job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭HappyDaze007

Thinking of learning the ropes too...
    I’m a complete beginner but we all gotta start somewhere..

Best of luck with your test

Advertisement