Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

C/D licence material

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Thinking of learning the ropes too...
    I’m a complete beginner but we all gotta start somewhere..

Best of luck with your test

Thanks!

Personally I enjoy it, I would give it a go. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭donkey balls

I think I mentioned it on another thread but when I was youngish around the 90s all I wanted to do was drive trucks or be involved in the transport and logistics industry. I eventually got a job working in a warehouse and from there I went to college at night studying the transport mgmt exams while learning how to drive.
    Between the studying and learning how to drive from car to artic took me about 18 months with a couple of months off in between for holidays with the lads, I was lucky in that my company paid for my C lessons once I passed the test and that there was no age restrictions compared to other companies.
    Going by the CPC/Theory tests these days plus lessons costs and additional license's like the ADR I reckon it would cost about 4k for the full artic, If you plan on wanting to drive for a living having the artic is more desirable more opportunity's etc.
    Another thing is the money has gone backwards over the last 10 years thanks to agencies :mad: also the hours can be all over the place I've done nights/days then early mornings 1/2am starts.

Have test coming up start of Mid March so about 5 weeks from now.

I'm worried about the start of the test, driving I think I will be okay, fit 2/3 more lessons in.

What do they ask at the start of the test? Do they do the usual, 'what is a solid white line?'

Or will they be asking, 'what is the retarder break for?'

On a side note I don't get these questions, I pass the theory, let me worry about my driving.

If I get a question wrong, can you fail?

Also, if I brush a kerb, is it game over? (Not saying I will now!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

First of all don't be worried, relax, worrying/getting anxious certainly won't help you even though it is fully understandable why you would feel that way.

You'll go in for your appointed time and the tester will call you when they are ready.

You will be asked what category of vehicle you are sitting and will ask you for your learner permit, while the tester is checking it you will be asked to sign your name on the top of the driving test feedback form, then you will move onto the rules of the road questions, road signs,hand signals etc, after that you then go to your truck or bus, if you are doing the CPC make sure you wear a hi vis, your instructor should know this anyway.

As for the retarder, yes i was asked about it,when would i use it and what are the benefits of using it.

Are you sitting the CPC as well?

Thanks DS. Don't plan driving professionally for the moment so no CPC. I'll read up on what you mentioned.

I have lesson Sat so I am sure he will tell me more now that I have the test date.

• Advertisement

If it's not professional then there will be even less questions.

To cover what you asked about hitting a kerb etc, my instructor said that is you brush it then it is a grade 2, but mount it and it's an instant grade 3.

Forgive me if mentioned already, is it a bus or truck you are doing the test in? and what make model etc?

Thanks again DS, it would be truck. Scania 94c if I remember correctly!

Any tips on the reversing?

TallGlass wrote: »
    Thanks again DS, it would be truck. Scania 94c if I remember correctly!

Any tips on the reversing?

Rigid yeah?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 57 ✭✭Encouraged

I got a total of 133/140 questions correct as my mark in the end.
    And is it 105 that you have to answer correctly?

I thought it was 100 questions?

Just wondering, have my C/D Theory Test booked in for this weekend. Just noticed there that questions have changed or there is new material for my test. I have been using the old CD from 2013 last time it was updated. Anything to worry about?
    Is this test the exact same for people intending to drive buses as it is for people intending to drive trucks??

• Advertisement

About 20 mins. I thought I made a bags of it with the speeds. It must have asked me 10/12 questions in a row on speeds of buses on various roads.
    What's the story with time limits. Can you take as long as you want per question or how does it work?

Encouraged wrote: »
    Is this test the exact same for people intending to drive buses as it is for people intending to drive trucks??

Fairly similar

Fairly similar
    What's the difference so? Are there any parts of the DTT book that I can skip?

What's the difference so? Are there any parts of the DTT book that I can skip?

Wouldn’t advise it as the questions are random from a large bank.

Wouldn’t advise it as the questions are random from a large bank.
    As long as it covers everything it shouldn't be too bad. What would you advice?

As long as it covers everything it shouldn't be too bad. What would you advice?

Is it the theory test for the learner permit or CPC? I think the current DTT disc has all that, would recommend getting it.

Is it the theory test for the learner permit or CPC? I think the current DTT disc has all that, would recommend getting it.
    It's DTT but also covers steps 1 & 2 of CPC.

I haven't been using the disc that came with the book!

It's DTT but also covers steps 1 & 2 of CPC.

I haven't been using the disc that came with the book!

I always used discs where applicable, but in my day there were no discs for cpc, i found information retention easier than a book.

Well folks to finish the thread from my side, my original March date was pushed back till today.

It's my pleasure to say I passed today! :D

Advertisement