Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Monster Hunter World

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,319 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Getting such strong Phantasy Star Online flashbacks which can only be a good thing. Game looks amazing so far and to be honest they had me at 'meowdy-do' in the intro.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Couldn’t help myself.

€55 in Argos.

Looking forward to meeting some of ye on the hunt.

Maybe even some old acquaintances from my Destiny days.

My PS4 ID is murphyebass for anyone wanting to join me at any stage.

I won’t be mic’d up all the time but if I can be I will.

Let the hunt begin!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,634 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Ive a ps4 and a copy currently in my amazon basket and im about to fold

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

VinLieger wrote: »
    Ive a ps4 and a copy currently in my amazon basket and im about to fold

Hahaha that didn't take long :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Been up till 6am for the last two days now. The game has a very addictive loop where you want to push on to the next new piece of gear or see the next monster.

Been mixing up what weapons I have been using to keep the game fresh. I started with the dual blades but they get old very quick. Their combo is pretty much span the hell out of triangle then press tri and circle for combo ender. Then sometimes you press R2 and do the same combo with more damage.

Heavy now gun is lots of fun also as the different ammo types really open up more options when tackling a Monster. Then I have tried the gunlance which has a super satisfying combo when you pull it off. Can't wait to jump back in later tonight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

God i want to play this so bad, damn capcom and their PC delay.

I'm willing to wait. Got a big backlog and I'm sure updates + lots of good info on the meta of the game will come about over time. Just hope there's no FPS lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Been up till 6am for the last two days now. The game has a very addictive loop where you want to push on to the next new piece of gear or see the next monster.

Been mixing up what weapons I have been using to keep the game fresh. I started with the dual blades but they get old very quick. Their combo is pretty much span the hell out of triangle then press tri and circle for combo ender. Then sometimes you press R2 and do the same combo with more damage.

Heavy now gun is lots of fun also as the different ammo types really open up more options when tackling a Monster. Then I have tried the gunlance which has a super satisfying combo when you pull it off. Can't wait to jump back in later tonight

Thats why Monster Hunter games were always so addictive for me. It always pushes you for that one more hunt. It didn't matter if its to progress your story, upgrade your town to get better recourses or complete that armour set, because your arse looks so fine in that Rathalos leather. Its a game that has grinding written all over it, but it was always fun grind. Unless you grind for Rathian plates or rubies. :pac:
    Even if you were grinding some Monster for some part, you would notice your own improvement and skill growing. Very rarely you felt overpowered in MH games, but you felt your skill growing. I would even put bold statement, that it makes your skill more satisfying then Souls series.

Never had love for gun lance, but normal Lance was my favourite weapon. It felt the most satisfying and "well played" weapon of all. I have to admit, I did abused my time with seregios lance and armour set in MH4, but even then it was always my wespon of choice when **** got real.
    Dual swords and long sword always gave me a taste of "noob weapon" in mh games. They are very easy to play with and not progress, if that makes any sense. Great sword, switch axe, lance are the weapons which really make you a hunter.
    Unfortunately I never used ranged weapons in MH. Theu were too complicated to me as you needed to manage your ammo very carefully. Distance fighting monster had very important role.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Having fun so far, alot to take in, im just button mashing for the most part. I was expecting the combat to be more complex than just two buttons..

I'm lost on what to build to be honest.. Not sure i like the weapon im using yet.. Insect blade.. i keep throwing a bug on my arm..but i dont know what it does or if im doing it right.. i think im poisoning ****.. hopefully not myself :pac:

And i just upgraded the lil furballs gear.. not sure if i wasted stuff doing that or not..

nix wrote: »
    Having fun so far, alot to take in, im just button mashing for the most part. I was expecting the combat to be more complex than just two buttons..

I'm lost on what to build to be honest.. Not sure i like the weapon im using yet.. Insect blade.. i keep throwing a bug on my arm..but i dont know what it does or if im doing it right.. i think im poisoning ****.. hopefully not myself :pac:

And i just upgraded the lil furballs gear.. not sure if i wasted stuff doing that or not..

All of this +1, MH neeeewb here.

Got through the first 2 quests earlier by:

... button mash, dodge, sharpen sword, eat health potion, run after the ****er as he tries to escape, not know what to keep or what to sell and finally hope that I’ve saved!

Enjoyed the small bit I’ve played so far. Definately a LOT to learn but that’s half the fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Yeah im searching for cheap ps4's but finding it hard to justify it for 1 game even one this awesome plus PC fingers crossed will have all the bugs worked out and just look better

but its delayed for 6 months on pc :(:(:(

• Advertisement

Never had love for gun lance, but normal Lance was my favourite weapon. It felt the most satisfying and "well played" weapon of all. I have to admit, I did abused my time with seregios lance and armour set in MH4

I tried the basic Lance in the practice area and found it abit to basic, or maybe it just feels basic because of the animations, forward jab, skyward jab, power jab and a horizontal swing. But i gotta agree about the Great Sword making you a true hunter, the weapon leaves little room for error and you gotta know the monster you are fighting.

This is also my first Monster Hunter and the amount of items to collect is overwhelming indeed, but after a while you start to remember what each items do so your not running about grabbing everything. The game does ease you into fighting the monsters as the first few feel easy enough, but the first enemy i had trouble with was the Tobi-Kadachi. Made me feint twice before i managed to kill her on the last attempt. Rathian also gave me some trouble as i came to fight it with a poison based rifle as i didn't know it had high poison tolerance :pac:

Most amazing moment so far was when i fought the Anjanath and a Rathalos showed up and picked the massive T-Rex up in its claws and threw it off a small cliff to do 800 odd damage to it :eek::eek::eek: Amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Yeah im searching for cheap ps4's but finding it hard to justify it for 1 game even one this awesome plus PC fingers crossed will have all the bugs worked out and just look better

I'm on the verge of saying "f**k it" and buying a PS4 pro! I'm like you, waiting for the PC release but I've been playing the series since MH Freedom on the PSP and this itch to play World is killing me! I want to hunt me the giant pickle! And then there's my oldest adversary... Rathalos.

On the plus side... I'm very good with money, spending wise. I rarely ever impulse buy or buy things I just don't need. On the negative side, it's forking out €400 for the Pro... But waiting for the PC release means waiting at least 6/7 months or so!

THIS IS TOO MUCH PRESSURE!

jaxxx wrote: »
    I'm on the verge of saying "f**k it" and buying a PS4 pro! I'm like you, waiting for the PC release but I've been playing the series since MH Freedom on the PSP and this itch to play World is killing me! I want to hunt me the giant pickle! And then there's my oldest adversary... Rathalos.

On the plus side... I'm very good with money, spending wise. I rarely ever impulse buy or buy things I just don't need. On the negative side, it's forking out €400 for the Pro... But waiting for the PC release means waiting at least 6/7 months or so!

THIS IS TOO MUCH PRESSURE!

i was thinking of this aswell but like why get a ps4 pro when you could get the xbox one x for more or less the same price and its a fairly hefty step above the ps4p. hmmm it's a lot for one game good god what is wrong with me. Also if you do it with xbox they have that whole play it any where thing so your xbox games will show on your pc xbox account thing.

Lone Stone wrote: »
    i was thinking of this aswell but like why get a ps4 pro when you could get the xbox one x for more or less the same price and its a fairly hefty step above the ps4p. hmmm it's a lot for one game good god what is wrong with me.

From what I've seen the Xbox One X is about €100 dearer than the PS4 Pro. Always preferred PS over Xbox anyway.

The only thing that's holding me back is the roster, I think it's a bit small. No gold rathian/silver rathalos/zinogre/brachydios/former elder dragons.

Except for Kirin that is... Whenever I see that b**ta*ds name all I hear is "boing boing boing" (sound of weapons being deflected constantly without mind's eye).

I know there's gonna be tons of future DLC but ...

Edit: Kushala and Teostra in it too I see. Still think the roster's a bit small.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,121 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Lone Stone wrote: »
    i was thinking of this aswell but like why get a ps4 pro when you could get the xbox one x for more or less the same price and its a fairly hefty step above the ps4p. hmmm it's a lot for one game good god what is wrong with me. Also if you do it with xbox they have that whole play it any where thing so your xbox games will show on your pc xbox account thing.

The play anywhere thing only applies to certain titles and MH isn't one of them unfortunately.

killed the puka puka, probably wasnt the most graceful kill, but i blame that on my dumbass deciding to try a new weapon out for the kill.

The greatsword (bone variety, is the buster better?) fook me is it slow, its like im swinging a station wagon. Anyway apart from the learning curve on that, i kept making a balls of potion swapping from health to antidote, got a bit mad at that haha

How do you assign what goes into the shortcuts? cant for the life of me find the option :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,634 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Hahaha that didn't take long :pac:

Ohh i have no self control

I.....CANT.....PUT....IT....DOWN...

What have you guys done to me? :pac:

I.....CANT.....PUT....IT....DOWN...

What have you guys done to me? :pac:

Just going to bed now myself at 4am. Hey it's 2 hours earlier than yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 6,909 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

killed the puka puka, probably wasnt the most graceful kill, but i blame that on my dumbass deciding to try a new weapon out for the kill.

The greatsword (bone variety, is the buster better?) fook me is it slow, its like im swinging a station wagon. Anyway apart from the learning curve on that, i kept making a balls of potion swapping from health to antidote, got a bit mad at that haha

How do you assign what goes into the shortcuts? cant for the life of me find the option :confused:

Have you or others here been playing alone ?
    Is it fine to go in SP ?...people say it's much better as a MP experience.

I'd be playin on Asian servers with Japanese/Korean/Chinese I'd imagine...and I don't know anyone here in Korea who has or is getting the game.

• Advertisement

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Have you or others here been playing alone ?
    Is it fine to go in SP ?...people say it's much better as a MP experience.

I'd be playin on Asian servers with Japanese/Korean/Chinese I'd imagine...and I don't know anyone here in Korea who has or is getting the game.

Jesus i just spent the last 30mins going through my stash, i only wanted to empty my backback :(:pac:

ANYWAY

Yeah dude, you can SP all day, thats what im doing, i havent got any internet besides my mobile at the moment.. But don't feel im missing out, i get the impression the multiplayer will be similar to soulsborne/nioh, which is short stints at best.

Jesus i just spent the last 30mins going through my stash, i only wanted to empty my backback :(:pac:

ANYWAY

Yeah dude, you can SP all day, thats what im doing, i havent got any internet besides my mobile at the moment.. But don't feel im missing out, i get the impression the multiplayer will be similar to soulsborne/nioh, which is short stints at best.

Yeah I’ve SP’d it so far. Only a couple of monsters in but it’s been doable SP so far.

I kinda want to half figure out all the vendors, rewards, etc before I team up.

What’s the story with it saying someone has joined. If it’s someone joining (I left my group open) my party would I not see them on the map or more likely beside me chasing/fighting the monster?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

I think I'm just not getting this game. I've tried sword and shield, great sword, and katana. I'm trying the bowgun now. They all do very little damage. Even the first great jagras hunt. Easy fight, but it took forever.
    Is the whole game chipping away, chase, chip away some more?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,319 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Anyone else playing on Xbox? Seems the multiplayer isn’t working fully, who knew that not having a proper beta test could lead to this?

derfderf wrote: »
    I think I'm just not getting this game. I've tried sword and shield, great sword, and katana. I'm trying the bowgun now. They all do very little damage. Even the first great jagras hunt. Easy fight, but it took forever.

When you say forever, how long roughly? Most hunts take on average 10-15 minutes or so, in my experience anyway throughout the years. Some maybe less, others longer, it depends on the monster. It depends on the weapon you're using as well, not the type of weapon but a weapon that has elemental damage that is strong against the monster you're hunting.

The great jagras for example is weak to fire and thunder. Now basic starter weapons probably won't have element to start off with, it'll come further down it's upgrade path. It's important as well not to just have one weapon. Early game this doesn't really matter as you won't have the money or materials to be forging/upgrading. But once you do, it's good to have multiple weapons with different elements, regardless of what weapon type you use.

*puts on coat* brb with ps4 pro and monster hunter world.

From what im getting, is you gotta beat the **** out of it as quick as you can and get it limping back to its nest, which is where i always kill them (pretty sure). So you just gotta get good at the combo's.. And stay on its tail constantly, if you give it time, it will feed/rejuv.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

All the P.C master race lads are caving and buying a ps4

163.gif

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

It takes awhile to get used to the game and before you're able down monsters qucikly as player's knowledge of monsters and your own weapon are the biggest factors and they come with practice.
    I'd suggest sticking to one weapon and fight the great jagras a few times until you're comfortable, sword n shield or the longsword are good options for newcomers. I wouldn't try the greatsword until you're comfortable with the monster's attack patterns as it requires good timing.

You'll be able to take him down in a couple minutes after a few attempts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Does anyone know when the Aloy cross promotion ends?

Advertisement