Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

p to the e wrote: »
    What strange times we live in. Two of the best films I've seen in a number of months have Nicholas Cage in them.

Into the Spider verse was equal parts hilarious, thrilling and emotional. The cast are fantastic and it's probably the best Stan Lee cameo compared to any of the previous Marvel films.

But the star of the film has to be the mesmerising animation. It looks like something akin to "Sin City" passed through a Norman Rockwell filter. There was a "Epilepsy seizure" warning on the way into the screen and with good reason. Fantastic colours and shapes are flashed past your eyes with little or no regard for your eye safety, that I just couldn't see working in a live action version.

If this is to be Spidey's swansong with Sony then you have to wonder what took them so long to make one of the best Marvel superheroes flicks I've seen.

The animation is indeed gorgeous.

What do you mean by swan song? Sony have rights to Spiderman for years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I really liked it.
    I was worried from the trailer that the animation was too jerky, but it wasn't as bad as the trailer made it out to be.
    Though one thing that kinda annoyed me was seeing them sticking to walls while wearing runners. Maybe they borrowed them off Michael Corben. (I'm sure someone will get the reference.)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭Patser

It's brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

Mostly enjoyed this. Nice animation style that reminded me a little of the Telltale Games series, some decent humour, but the soundtrack was shite.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Relikk wrote: »
    Mostly enjoyed this. Nice animation style that reminded me a little of the Telltale Games series, some decent humour, but the soundtrack was shite.

I thought the soundtrack suited the characters, honestly. Mile isn't *my* Spider-Man, he's this generations Spider-Man, and I shake my old man hand at that noise they call music :D

I really enjoyed it though. The only disappointment is that it wasn't the real Spider-Verse story, but that said, it would have been difficult to do that. The cast was great, and the end scene gave me a really good chuckle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,031 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

chrislad wrote: »
    I thought the soundtrack suited the characters, honestly. Mile isn't *my* Spider-Man, he's this generations Spider-Man, and I shake my old man hand at that noise they call music :D

I really enjoyed it though. The only disappointment is that it wasn't the real Spider-Verse story, but that said, it would have been difficult to do that. The cast was great, and the end scene gave me a really good chuckle.

No, he's not. He's a character no one asked for, continually shoe-horned in to test the waters on whether they should get rid of Parker, to play up to ethnic minorities etc. I'd wager that Parker is by far the more popular of the two, even today, and I certainly have little to no interest in Miles personally. Peter Parker was and is the only Spider-man as far as most people are concerned. I've never seen a character more forced as Miles

• Registered Users Posts: 23,086 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

No, he's not. He's a character no one asked for, continually shoe-horned in to test the waters on whether they should get rid of Parker, to play up to ethnic minorities etc. I'd wager that Parker is by far the more popular of the two, even today, and I certainly have little to no interest in Miles personally. Peter Parker was and is the only Spider-man as far as most people are concerned. I've never seen a character more forced as Miles

Good conspiracy theory. Think I last seen this around 2012 around the time people were getting scared of him an other new characters. Parker was never going anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

The whole point of the movie is that anyone can be Spider-Man, anyone can wear the mask. Peter Parker is and will always be Spider-Man but Spider-Man doesn't have to be Peter Parker. Parker's popularity, which I'm not disputing, comes down to how long he's had in the mask but I'd disagree that he's the only Spider-Man for "most people" given the massive popularity and success of this film.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

ALSO people did ask for him. One of the main reasons Miles exists is because of the huge positive reaction to Donald Glover wearing a Spider-Man costume in an episode of Community.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I love when these threads come alive, makes it obvious that it has appeared on the more reputable, disreputable sources ;)

And Miles Morales has been a hugely popular new character for marvel - as a tangent to Peter Parker, not replacement. Ditto more recently with Spider-Gwen.

Both new characters with interesting, charismatic spins on the well worn SpiderMan story. All living in harmony.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Marvel tried it across the board to be fare Falcon and Bucky both became Cap, Riri Williams took on the Iron Man suit , Jane Foster became Thor , X23 became wolverine , it could be seen as pandering , but all those characters including spiderman will never be surpassed by the characters that make the hero's ,

Was never a fan of the Miles character, but in saying that the movie was very good , Don't know about everyone else but I loved Nicholas Cage as Spider Man Noir would have loved to have seen more of him , perhaps a solo movie in his setting

• Registered Users Posts: 11,749 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

really good, bit long though yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Thought it could have been longer which is something I never say.

I absolutely loved it, regret not seeing it in the big screen. Will try catch it in IMAX sometime in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,946 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Watched it again recently. First time since seeing it in the cinema. And it holds up.

For those looking for a review: Dial back expectations a little. Nothing can live up to the hype.

Having said that, it is a great show. (And even funnier the 2nd time around).

GREAT voice casting (Not a single duff voice).
    Really likeable characters with no "Sassy" Dreamworks eyebrow twitchers. Don't let Spider-pig put you off.
    Everyone is (rightly) harping on about how great it looks but it sounds great too. The sound design and music is class.
    Would happily watch any sequels/spinoffs if they are on a par with this.
    REALLY great Stan Lee Cameo. Including
    his J Jonah in the post credit scene
    Hilarious post credit scene
    That is SO rude!
    and even the credit sequence at the end are funny (referencing all those Internet memes and that dancing comic-con chain).
    I didn't find the (stylistically intentional) slight jerkiness an issue this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Well, we can agree to disagree. Personally, I enjoy Miles as a character, and have from his Ultimate days, but I am glad he's in addition to Peter, not instead of (though that character does a lot of flopping from genius scientist to poor no job man too often..)

• Registered Users Posts: 44,965 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Peter Parker is the definitive Spider-Man, but there should absolutely be a place for other stories and other versions. Miles is cool, Spider-Gwen is cool - same way Bruce Wayne is Batman but I love Batman Beyond and Terry McGinnis. I'd love to see the MCU do something similar with Shuri and have her become Iron Man/Heart as the generation to take over from Tony.

Specifically with this movie, I would also say that having the multi-verse view and having Miles as the main character is important as a differenciator from the current MCU Spider-Man.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Watched it with the kids last night and really enjoyed it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Just watched this now, not knowing anything about it, blown away - fantastic film, amazing animation and juxtaposition of styles. At first I wasn't sure if I was watching a 3D version. Funny, charming, coming of age story. Finally a great superhero movie.

Just watched this now, not knowing anything about it, blown away - fantastic film, amazing animation and juxtaposition of styles. At first I wasn't sure if I was watching a 3D version. Funny, charming, coming of age story. Finally a great superhero movie.

Where have you been since the late 1970's - there have been loads.:confused:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Talking about Marvel's latest efforts specifically.

• Advertisement

Talking about Marvel's latest efforts specifically.

You said "Finally a great superhero movie". Meaning none have been any good.

The "latest" are part of the "loads" I was talking about.

And if you are seriously suggesting Infinity War isn't great you are out of your mind.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Infinity War is just another production line Marvel blockbuster, albeit one with a decent cliffhanger ending.

Spiderverse is a film of visual ingenuity, character and vivid storytelling. It’s easily the only Marvel-branded film I’d genuinely consider great - head and shoulders above the rest to be perfectly frank.

Well said, completely agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Brilliant movie, visually stunning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,946 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Infinity War is just another production line Marvel blockbuster, albeit one with a decent cliffhanger ending.

Spiderverse is a film of visual ingenuity, character and vivid storytelling. It’s easily the only Marvel-branded film I’d genuinely consider great - head and shoulders above the rest to be perfectly frank.

I like the Marvel movies to various degrees (Captain America 2, Iron Man 3 and Thor Ragnarok being my favourites). Some of them work, some don't "Cough"Thor 2, Age of Ulton*Cough*. I think Thor Ragnarok was about the only Live Action movie that tries something different.

But yeah, I think Spiderverse is just bloody great. It's fun, stylistically risky and just has.... well, it has a PULSE!

When they announced they were gonna do an animated Miles Morales movie I'm sure everyone thought it was gonna be a quick and nasty straight-to-DVD type thing (I know I did). Then the stories started coming out: "Lego Movie guys? Nice!" "Oh, look at that concept art" "Oh, good voice cast".

Great to see it do well. Bring on SpiderGwen movie......

And come on, give Cage a break and give him a Spiderman Noir movie :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I'd have to agree with you entirely on this. I really enjoy the MCU movies (for the most part *cough Thor 2 cough*), but I'd never pretend they're truly fantastic movies with compelling characters and brilliant story-telling.

Spider-Verse is all of that, with truly astonishingly amazing effects and visuals. I took my kids to see it 3 times and we actually pre-ordered the Blu-Ray.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Gave it a watch. Very impressed. The story was pulled together really well. The characters had a bunch of work put in. The animated took a bit of getting used to at first but I I didn't even pay much heed towards the end. It just worked.

Like the mid credits bit from Stan Lee and the post credits scene.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

This and Incredibles 2 has made me come over to the suggested theory that animation is a truer home for superhero stories than live action. When done right, animated action is so much more dynamic, elastic and creative than you can get away with in live action.

Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed the MCU and particularly the cast, who have carried much of the weight, but Spider Verse really hammered home just how fun and inventive good animation can be (contrast that with something like megamind, which had a good story but horribly generic, uninspired animation).

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭mcgragger

My kids loved it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭El Duda

Got this on 4K yesterday...

Wow! Simply stunning. A phenomenal film.

Advertisement