Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse.

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Very enjoyable film. Animation was a bit different but it worked and it's great that when films take a few risks.

Has there ever been better voice casting than Jake Johnson as older Peter Parker? I just can't imagine anyone else doing it, it made the film for me.

A lot better that all that Marvel Universe crap where people seem more interested in seeing a post credits scene than the actual film and you have to have seen the previous 20 films to get the full story, I actually don't understand why adults go crazy for these kind of movies, childish nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Klonker wrote: »
    .....Has there ever been better voice casting than Jake Johnson as older Peter Parker? I just can't imagine anyone else doing it, it made the film for me....

^^^^^^^^^

This.

I think I mentioned it in my review of this somewhere on this thread.

The voice casting altogether was fantastic. Wrong voice casting can ruin a movie for me (I'm looking at you Phil Hartman as Jiji in the US dub of Kiki's Delivery service. Great voice actor and dearly missed but totally miscast in that).

Anyway, yeah, I thought the entire voice cast was amazing but Jake Johnson as Peter Parker? Simply perfect. As I said previously: Just.... Just a voice. A regular voice. Amazing.

Of course we can't wait for the sequel and SpiderGwen movies but c'mon, give us a Jake Johnson Peter Parker movie (As opposed to a Spiderman movie: 80:20 Peter Parker:Spiderman)

(And, off topic a wee bit: Thank God the distributors of Ghibli's Arrietty did, not one, but TWO dubs. I prefer subtitles but the European dub is really good as opposed to the shrill US dub)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,341 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I've somehow never gotten around to watching Arriety. Unfortunately in recent years I've struggled with subtitles so I'm very much reliant on dubbing for my Ghibli fix. Good to hear that the European version comes recommended. A quick look at the voice cast and I'm intrigued. Where's the best place to view this version. This may be veering off topic but I'd love to hear more examples of where it works and where it does not. Means I could probably go back and watch a few movies I've missed over the years.

Back on topic, Into the Spider-Verse still ranks as my favourite movie of the past 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Klonker wrote: »
    Very enjoyable film. Animation was a bit different but it worked and it's great that when films take a few risks.

Has there ever been better voice casting than Jake Johnson as older Peter Parker? I just can't imagine anyone else doing it, it made the film for me.

A lot better that all that Marvel Universe crap where people seem more interested in seeing a post credits scene than the actual film and you have to have seen the previous 20 films to get the full story, I actually don't understand why adults go crazy for these kind of movies, childish nonsense.

Truly, the only better casting I can think of than Jake Johnson as Peter Parker is Mark Hamill as the The Joker.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Truly, the only better casting I can think of than Jake Johnson as Peter Parker is Mark Hamill as the The Joker.

Ah well. That... well that just goes without saying :) For me, Batman Animates series is the definitive version of Batman: Hamill as The Joker, Kevin Conroy's Batman/Bruce Wayne, fugettaboutit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

No release date but sequel is in progress...

In Case You Were Worried, a Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Sequel Is Definitely in the Works
    https://io9.gizmodo.com/in-case-you-were-worried-a-spider-man-into-the-spider-1835654889
    producer Amy Pascal gave us a small but encouraging update.

“We are definitely hard at work on the sequel,” Pascal said via phone from London. “You can expect another movie.”

Way back in November, news broke that Joaquim Dos Santos, who worked on Avatar: The Last Airbender and Voltron: Legendary Defender, would be directing a Spider-Verse sequel with David Callaham (The Expendables, Wonder Woman 1984) writing. We believe that’s still the case but, even if it’s not, things are progressing as we speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Hmmmm, not sure how I feel about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Delighted it's coming, Disappointed it's so far away.
    Hopefully Insomniac games are working faster on the video game sequel. (if you haven't played it, play it. If you don't do video games, Watch someone else play it on YouTube, preferably without commentary.)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,473 ✭✭✭✭Varik

flazio wrote: »
    Delighted it's coming, Disappointed it's so far away.
    Hopefully Insomniac games are working faster on the video game sequel. (if you haven't played it, play it. If you don't do video games, Watch someone else play it on YouTube, preferably without commentary.)

Best selling superhero game ever but a sequel isn't a sure thing. insomniac got bought by Sony since, and no one from either Sony or Disney was very forthcoming about who held the rights and if so what terms.

• Advertisement

Slydice wrote: »

Now, give us a ten part 30-min animated series about Jake Johnson's Peter Parker after he goes back on TV/Disney+ (As part of their Sony agreement). Hell, I'll even take a 6-part.

This is NOT a request! GIMME GIMME GIMME!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Not a huge fan of animation films; saw a clip of this before and wasn't particularly interested. I listened to Total Film podcast and they gave this as their no. 2 best superhero film of all time, so I watched it today. Absolutely fantastic film. Hit all the right notes and beats, and shifted up the gears into a mad juggernaut of an action film. Beautiful to watch. What a great film.

Out of curiosity what was number 1?The Dark Knight? I'd need to rewatch it but Into the Spider Verse is certainly up there with the best if not at the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Out of curiosity what was number 1?The Dark Knight?
    Bingo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,825 ✭✭✭Patser

FWIW new Netflix film Mitchells vs the machines ,is by the same studio and is really quite good. You can see it borrows a lot of ideas from Spiderverse including same Father now Daughter tension.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭flazio

First look at the sequel.

Has a new thread been set up yet? Couldn't find it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,724 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Advertisement