Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Thank you for your service, Skid.

Happy Christmas to you and yours.

1am Shane MacGowan Live At Montreux (TG4)
    1995 concert. It’s his Birthday today.

In addition to the above

01:00
    Shane MacGowan: Live at Montreux
    Shane MacGowan & The Popes Live at Montreux 1995. This show combines tracks from the Snake album including Nancy Whiskey, Donegal Express and Bring Down with Pogues classics such as If I Should Fall From Grace With God, Streams of Whiskey and The Irish Rover and with a rousing version of the Hippy Hippy Shake.

The Popes

Paul McGuinness (Not that one) Guitar
    Tommy McMenamen RIP Banjo
    Bob Dowling Bass
    Danny Heatley Drums
    Joey Cashman Occasional Tin Whistle

I toured Ireland with the lads a few times in the 90s. They knew how to have fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,715 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Could of been dreaming but is there a Boomtown Rats documentary on TG4 over the holidays ??

• Registered Users Posts: 71,557 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Thanks as ever for the TV listings, Skidoo - sterling work :)

And Merry Christmas to all the BeebRock thread regulars! :)

St Stephenses Day (Thursday)

I see what you did there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,350 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Merry Xmas Skid I'm over visiting my brother and sister in Scotland and both have Sky, so finally I can watch some of these UK listings. :):D

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,360 ✭✭✭cml387

One small point, is there ever a time that Andre Rieu is not on Sky Arts?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,793 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It's a repeat but BBC2 are showing "Merry Christmas Baby - With Gregory Porter & Friends" at 00:30 on Thursday the 26th.

Features an enchanting version of I Wish I Had A River by Corinne Bailey Rae, and a punchy version of "Baby It's Cold Outside" by the man himself.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Merry Xmas Skid I'm over visiting my brother and sister in Scotland and both have Sky, so finally I can watch some of these UK listings. :):D

It's a Christmas miracle !!

Happy Christmas, hope you enjoy it

Nadolig Llawen, Beebrockers! :)

For those who have More4, Ron Howard’s excellent Beatles documentary ‘Eight Days A Week’, tonight at 9pm :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

A few beers on board but it's great that we're all interested in bbc stuff etc. Happy Christmas everyone! And thanks Skid for all your hard work. Wouldn't know where to look if it wasn't for you.

sligojoek wrote: »
    In addition to the above

Shane MacGowan & The Popes Live at Montreux 1995. This show combines tracks from the Snake album including Nancy Whiskey, Donegal Express and Bring Down with Pogues classics such as If I Should Fall From Grace With God, Streams of Whiskey and The Irish Rover and with a rousing version of the Hippy Hippy Shake.

The Popes

Bob Dowling Bass
    Danny Heatley Drums

I toured Ireland with the lads a few times in the 90s. They knew how to have fun.

Correction.

It was a year earlier than I thought.

Bernie France Bass
    Kieran Kieley Accordian
    John Myers Whistle Fiddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭brian_t

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Could of been dreaming but is there a Boomtown Rats documentary on TG4 over the holidays ??

Not a documentary but a concert.

TG4 - Sunday 5th January 2020 - 00:05 to 01:15

The Boomtown Rats: On a Night Like This

A concert by the band recorded in 1985, in support of their last album In the Long Grass. Featuring classic hits including Rat Trap and I Don't Like Mondays.
    (Repeat)

Tommy on banjo. His anniversary was last week.

993503_1281804371846546_6099634922272358149_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_ohc=Xn2FYvoz4OsAQmelTr6gEg4XGeFFgeMcR4aQA7uPjqnnS_AaADdL5J-bQ&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=bc1e7e776b971684ea825e0769d12c84&oe=5E776C7B

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

Could of.
    Christ....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Pat Shortt's RTE music thing is on now. There are usually some interesting clips on it.

I like to shout at the television about how much better it would be if Pat Shortt wasn't in it wasting the budget on his 'comedy' bits. Once I have that out of my system it is grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,324 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

In addition to the above

The Popes

Bob Dowling Bass
    Danny Heatley Drums

Paul and Joey both from Tokyo Olympics, I think and previously from DC Nein. Totally different musical style in the Popes, mind you.

Next summer would be a great time for a reunion tour for Tokyo Olympics.

I'm enjoying the radio documentaries on Radio Nova these afternoons after the break. Today had Peter Devlin talking about going to the Specials gig at the Stardust on his own as a 13 year old, just a month before the fire in 1981, and one of the guys from Whipping Boy talking about the Bunnymen at the SFX in 1985. I worked at that gig, and it make a mark on me too.

Paul and Joey both from Tokyo Olympics, I think and previously from DC Nein. Totally different musical style in the Popes, mind you.

Next summer would be a great time for a reunion tour for Tokyo Olympics.

Spot on. Paul was hit by a car while out cycling in London in 2012 or 13. He had a bad head injury. He's never been the same. He does an odd one man show in London pubs these days. I met Joey in MacGowan's place back in February. He's in good form and calls to see Shane on a regular basis. I asked him would Tokyo Olympics get together for 2020 and he said it would never happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Glad to have caught Sky Arts' "Classic Albums: Peter Gabriel – So" before my NowTV sub runs out, thanks to the heads-up from Skid's listing; Season's Greetings to the compiler and to all :D For anyone who's interested, there's a similar work for his 4th album available on YouTube ("Peter Gabriel on The South Bank Show 1982 (Making of Security/ PG4)")

• Registered Users Posts: 19,575 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

So tonight's Blues Brothers night, is it?

Most excellent.

I'll watch Have I Got News For You before it.

All the while wondering why is it so bleedin roasting. Winter, me hoop.

• Advertisement

Much as I love the theme from Rawhide, Aretha Franklin steals the show in this.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Much as I love the theme from Rawhide, Aretha Franklin steals the show in this.

She also cooks the best damn chicken in the state.

However, I’ll stick with the dry white toast. :cool:

‘Montage Of Heck’ on TG4 right now! :)

I’ll say it before and I’ll say it again...how come TG4’s live player is so good (never any buffering or any gremlins), yet RTE’s live player loads about as quickly as a Sinclair Spectrum computer game circa 1984?

She also cooks the best damn chicken in the state.

However, I’ll stick with the dry white toast. :cool:

Maybe that's why I love this at Christmas so much.

Y'know, because my last 6 meals have been chicken (well, turkey) and white toast.

Backstreet Boys the movie, which was not a thing I was aware of, seems to be starting on RTE 2.

Which is remarkable in many ways.

The line-up announced for Hootenanny 2019 announced...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000cs15

Ruby Turner, what a surprise :D

The line-up announced for Hootenanny 2019 announced...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000cs15

Ruby Turner, what a surprise :D

I wish they'd mix it up a bit. Stormzy and Rick Astley, like. Bit of variety would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,355 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Pauline Black and the Selector, can't Beat a bit of skankin on New Years Eve

• Registered Users Posts: 28,324 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Spot on. Paul was hit by a car while out cycling in London in 2012 or 13. He had a bad head injury. He's never been the same. He does an odd one man show in London pubs these days. I met Joey in MacGowan's place back in February. He's in good form and calls to see Shane on a regular basis. I asked him would Tokyo Olympics get together for 2020 and he said it would never happen.
    Good to hear that he's doing well. Just curious - did he give any particular reason for ruling out a reunion?

• Advertisement

I didn't push him on it. I'd say there could be bad blood.

There's a DC Nein /Tokyo Olympics facebook page. Another band member also asked people to stop speculating because it wasn't going to happen.

Advertisement