Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

BandMember wrote: »
    Great tune. Sometimes, you forget just how good she was and what an amazing voice she had....but then you hear one of her songs and you remember in two seconds....

The backing band? Well, I'll give some people a clue, it's the same backing band that she did a few tracks with around the same time - including this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOX5ZVGlWqY

That's class, never seen it before. There's a lot going on there even before Shane comes in to interpret Cole Porter as only he can. Nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Skid X wrote: »
    That's class, never seen it before. There's a lot going on there even before Shane comes in to interpret Cole Porter as only he can. Nice one.

I have it on an old <is there any other kind?> VHS tape called Pogueology. My daughter used to play that one over and over. We got our first DVD player in 03. I haven't seen it again till tonight. Ronan Collins has played the track on radio a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭BandMember

sligojoek wrote: »
    10 out of 10

What can I say? I may be somewhat of a fan of that backing band.... :P
    sligojoek wrote: »
    I have it on an old <is there any other kind?> VHS tape called Pogueology. My daughter used to play that one over and over. We got our first DVD player in 03. I haven't seen it again till tonight. Ronan Collins has played the track on radio a few times.

I have that same VHS! :D A friend of mine (who would be also a friend of Shane's) gave me some great cd's of rare Shane/Pogues tracks over the years and those tracks with Kristy were on them. Some of the tracks ended up on The Pogues boxset, but many are still unreleased.

Funny story: The same guy once gave Shane (and myself) a cd that he made up comprised of songs that Shane had ripped off - eh, I mean "borrowed liberally from" ;) and he labelled it "Music That Inspired Shane". MacGowan pulled him on it and told him that while he loved the cd, yer man had forgotten one. He kept him guessing for ages until he finally told him what it was. Yer man was kicking himself afterwards that he missed it to complete the collection.... :pac:

Shane: I didn't steal it I enhanced it. O Carolan didn't have drums and electric bass. KSSSSHHHH

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

12.05am The Easybeats to AC/DC: The Story Of Aussie Rock (BBC4)
    The story of the rock band, and how Australian family run company Albert Music launched them in the mid-1970s onto the global music scene. The film recalls how Scottish emigre siblings Angus and Malcolm Young were produced by their older brother George and fellow Easybeats member Harry Vanda, later joined by lead singer Bon Scott. The film retraces the band's explosion in popularity, the relentless touring and the early death of Scott in 1980

Hadn't seen this one before but was enjoyable enough.
    I've just finished Jess Fink's book on Bon Scott so I got his book on the 3 Young brothers.
    Just reading the chapter about George was was stunned to read that Vanda and Young were Flash and the Pan. I loved the song Waiting for a train.
    They also wrote Love is in the air.

I think Fink mentions this documentary in the book and said a lot of it was sugar coated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭BandMember

If any of you can access content online, there was a two part tv mini series about The Easybeats aired on ABC Australia a few months ago. Obviously, it's completely sugar coated and leaves a lot of questions unanswered and stories untold, but I thought it was still worth a look....

http://themusic.com.au/news/all/2017/10/17/exclusive-your-first-look-at-abcs-easybeats-mini-series-friday-on-my-mind/

Skid X wrote: »
    I see BBC Four did a Doc on The Fall and Mark E Smith a few years ago,

it's on Youtube but maybe they will give it another airing

And it will indeed get a repeat showing, but don't tell everyone.

https://twitter.com/ST_Television/status/958380080014745601

Hello, Sky has a PBS Johnny Cash Doc about his "lost Native American-themed concept album and his unique collaboration with folk artist Peter Lafarge". BBC Four is more into repeats and the end of that Insiders thing which concludes with a look at reunion tours.

True Movies enters the arena with one of their occasional low budget music film weekends. No Birth Of The Beatles this time, alas, but there is quite a lot of other stuff there to enjoy, if you're into that ...

Wednesday
    11.25pm Ar Staitse: John Denver (TG4)
    The singer in concert, recorded in 1986 at Siamsa Cois Laoi. Including the hits Take Me Home, Country Roads, Leaving on a Jet Plane and Back Home Again

11.55pm David Gilmour Live in Gdansk (Sky Arts)

1am Top Of The Pops 1981 - September 24th
    Simon Bates hosts the September 24 edition, featuring performances by Slade, Depeche Mode, Madness, Dave Stewart and Barbara Gaskin, Imagination, Japan, Alvin Stardust, Linx, and Adam and the Ants. Plus, a dance sequence by Legs & Co Full details here https://www.thetvdb.com/?tab=episode&seriesid=78332&seasonid=580876&id=5509781&lid=7

1.40am Top Of The Pops 1981 - October 1st
    Mike Read presents the October 1 edition, featuring music by the Tweets, Toyah, Altered Images, Gidea Park, the Creatures, Bad Manners, Dollar and Adam and the Ants Full details here https://www.thetvdb.com/?tab=episode&seriesid=78332&seasonid=580876&id=5509782&lid=7

1.55am Joe Cocker: Mad Dogs and Englishmen (Sky Arts)
    The blues singer in concert at Manhattan's Fillmore East and the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium, featuring Delta Lady, The Letter and She Came in Through the Bathroom Window

Thursday
    7.30pm & Midnight Top Of The Pops 1985 - February 14th (BBC4)
    Simon Bates and Janice Long present the February 14th edition, featuring Dead or Alive, the Colour Field, Killing Joke, the Smiths, and Elaine Paige and Barbara Dickson. Full details here https://www.thetvdb.com/?tab=episode&seriesid=78332&seasonid=655748&id=5857950&lid=7

Midnight Dire Straits Live - Alchemy 1983 (Sky Arts)

12.35am Boy George and Culture Club: Karma To Calamity (BBC4)
    A look at the history of the band, examining its rise to fame, eventual disintegration and the personalities within the group who made it such a success in the early 1980s. Director Mike Nicholls follows the band members as they meet in singer Boy George's London home to write new material following their decision to reunite in 2014

2am Sting Live in Berlin 2010 (Sky Arts)

Friday
    6am 6Music Loves New York (BBC Red Button, repeated at various times over the weekend)
    No idea, to be honest. Might be something to do with the Grammy awards

7.30pm & Midnight Top Of The Pops 1985 - February 21st (BBC4)
    Mike Read and Bruno Brookes introduce performances by Howard Jones, Sharpe & Numan, Don Henley, Bryan Adams, and Elaine Paige and Barbara Dickson. First aired February 21, 1985. Full details here https://www.thetvdb.com/?tab=episode&seriesid=78332&seasonid=655748&id=5857951&lid=7

8pm Live From The Artists Den - Sheryl Crow (Sky Arts)

9pm & 1.30am Hits, Hype & Hustle: An Insiders Guide To The Music Business (BBC4)
    Part 3/3 Music public relations expert Alan Edwards tells the story of why so many bands are getting back together, what happens when they do - and how such reunions have changed the music business. He starts by recalling the UK's first revival concert, which took place over 40 years ago at Wembley Stadium. Featuring Bill Hailey and the Comets, Little Richard and Jerry Lee Lewis - the event opened the eyes of promoters to the power of yesterday's hit-makers to reach an audience and make money. From there, Alan takes on a musical journey through some of the biggest reunions of the last 30 years. Contributors include Glen Matlock, Debbie Harry, Stewart Copeland and Melanie C.

10pm & 2.30am Biggest Band Break Ups And Make Ups (BBC4)
    Mark Radcliffe looks at the highs and lows of life in the music industry. He focuses on the creative tension that produces great material, as well as the pressures that comes with success and fame that can pull groups apart. The presenter looks at the most common reasons for splitting up, alongside the secrets of those that manage to stay together

10pm Classic Albums: Phil Collins - Face Value (Sky Arts)
    Phil Collins gives a candid insight into the making of his first solo album Face Value in 1979, revealing how a painful divorce from his first wife provided the inspiration for smash hit In the Air Tonight. Most of the tracks were improvised, and Phil recalls a jam session with Eric Clapton, who contributed to the song The Roof Is Leaking

11pm Agnetha: Abba And After (BBC4)
    Documentary telling the story of Agnetha Faltskog's music career as both a member of the Swedish pop group and a successful solo singer in her own right. Including interviews with Gary Barlow, who features on her 2013 album, plus Abba's Bjorn Ulvaeus and Benny Andersson, DJ Tony Blackburn and lyricist Tim Rice

11pm Soul Power! (Sky Arts)
    Ep 4/4 The documentary examining the evolution of soul music concludes, with musicians and performers revealing the impact it has had on their lives and careers

11.05pm Na Firein Arís! (TG4)
    A profile of the Irish language rock band Na Firein, who reformed in 2014 to perform again. The programme charts their career, from the first time they stepped on stage to play together, through to their emotional reunion

Midnight Music Legends We Lost (Sky Arts)
    From George Michael and Chuck Berry to Glen Campbell and Tom Petty, this film pays tribute to the music greats who have died between December 2016 and the end of 2017

12.30am Fleetwood Mac - Don't Stop (BBC4)
    Documentary looking back over the band's long career, from the early blues outfit led by Peter Green in the late 1960s, to their reincarnation in the 1970s with the line-up that went on to record the 40-million-selling album Rumours. Mick Fleetwood, John McVie, Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks reveal the truth behind the successes, failures and relationships that have characterised their music and made them one of the most enduring acts in popular music

1.30am Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers: Live From Gatorville (Sky Arts)
    The singer-songwriter and his band perform in Gainesville, Florida, in 2006, with songs including I Won't Back Down and Free Fallin'

Saturday
    11am Film: In His Life: The John Lennon Story (2000) (True Movies)
    Biopic of the singer who formed one half of the most successful and celebrated songwriting partnership of modern times. The film charts the musician's youth in Liverpool and his rise to fame with the Beatles, a group which redefined popular music during the 1960s, before recalling his solo career and tragic death outside his home in Manhattan. Starring Philip McQuillan, Blair Brown, Daniel McGowan and Jamie Glover

1pm Elvis Presley - The Rock And Roll Years (True Movies)
    Exploring The King of Rock and Roll's inside story, including full performances of tracks including Tutti Frutti, Heartbreak Hotel, Hound Dog, Don't Be Cruel and Love Me Tender

2pm Film: Elvis: The Early Years (Part 1) (True Movies)
    The first in a two-part biopic of the king of rock 'n' roll, Elvis Presley, charting his humble beginnings in Tupelo, Mississippi, to his recordings at Sun Studios in Memphis and his conscription into the US army. Jonathan Rhys Meyers plays the singer, with Rose McGowan, Camryn Manheim, Robert Patrick and Randy Quaid. Jonathan Rhys Meyers won a Golden Globe for this.

4pm Film: Elvis: The Early Years (Part 2) (True Movies)
    Conclusion of the rock 'n' roll biopic, starring Jonathan Rhys Meyers as the much-loved performer. Following his varied film career and the rise of pop music, Elvis stages a comeback, but his reliance on drugs intensifies as the demands of fame take hold. With Rose McGowan and Randy Quaid

6pm Film: And The Beat Goes On: The Sonny And Cher Story (2000) (True Movies)
    Biopic of the 1960s duo, charting their rise to global acclaim in the music world with hit songs such as I Got You Babe, All I Really Want to Do and It's the Little Things, before probing their much-publicised personal problems, which culminated in an acrimonious divorce. Starring Renee Faia and Jay Underwood

6pm Live From The Artists Den - Sheryl Crow (Sky Arts)

7pm Dixie Chicks - DCX MMXVII Live (Sky Arts)

8pm Film: The Jazz Singer (1980) (True Movies)
    A Jewish cantor's son goes against his strict father's wishes and travels to Los Angeles in search of fame and fortune. Remake of the 1927 musical drama, starring Neil Diamond in the role originally played by Al Jolson, with Laurence Olivier, Lucie Arnaz and Catlin Adams

9pm Johnny Cash's Bitter Tears (Sky Arts) New!
    Based on Antonino D'Ambrosio's book "A Heartbeat and a Guitar: Johnny Cash and the Making of Bitter Tears," this film tells the story behind Cash's lost Native American-themed concept album and his unique collaboration with folk artist Peter Lafarge.
    With the still largely unknown recording, Cash placed himself in the middle of the fervent social upheavals gripping the nation in the mid-1960s. Facing censorship and an angry backlash from radio stations, DJs and fans for speaking out on behalf of Native people, Cash decided to fight back.
    The film also chronicles the reimagining of Cash's highly controversial 1964 record on its 50th anniversary, as recorded at Nashville's historic Sound Emporium Studios by such artists as Kris Kristofferson, Steve Earle, Emmylou Harris, Norman Blake, Nancy Blake, Rhiannon Giddens, Gillian Welch, Dave Rawlings and The Milk Carton Kids, working with album producer Joe Henry and legendary studio musicians Dennis Crouch, Patrick Warren and Jay Bellerose.
    http://cargofilm-releasing.com/films/bittertears/

10.15pm The Gospel Music Of Johnny Cash (Sky Arts)
    How the singer sought spiritual fulfilment in music, scripture and visits to the Holy Land. Featuring archive footage and interviews with friends and family

11pm Film Hendrix (2000) (True Movies)
    Biopic of the legendary guitarist who changed the face of music during the 1960s. Starring Wood Harris, Vivica A Fox, Dorian Harewood and Billy Zane

11.05pm Top Of The Pops 1985 - February 14th (BBC4)

11.15pm Johnny Cash At Folsom Prison (Sky Arts)
    Documentary examining the country star's 1968 concert at California's Folsom Prison, with contributions by his family and band members, as well as inmates who witnessed the event

11.40pm Top Of The Pops 1985 - February 21st (BBC4)

12.10am Elvis: That's Alright Mama 60 Years On (BBC4)
    Actor and musician Sam Palladio hosts a musical tribute to Elvis Presley, originally broadcast 60 years after the artist recorded his first single That's All Right at Sun Studios in Memphis, Tennessee. The presenter traces Elvis's story from a childhood spent in poverty to the moment he entered a recording booth to perform the track that would act as a springboard to his success. Featuring performances of a selection of the King of Rock 'n' Roll's finest songs from artists including Candi Staton, the Pierces and Laura Bell Bundy

12.15am The Cranberries (Sky Arts)
    Following the untimely death of singer Dolores O'Riordan, this programme celebrates the musical output of her band, The Cranberries.

Sunday
    1pm Film: And The Beat Goes On: The Sonny And Cher Story (1999) (True Movies)

2.20pm The 2018 Grammy Awards (4 Music)

3pm Film: In His Life: The John Lennon Story (2000) (True Movies)

5pm & 11pm Film Take Me Home: The John Denver Story (2000) (True Movies)
    Biopic of the country singer, charting his childhood as the son of an overbearing air force officer, his early brush with fame in the Chad Mitchell Trio and his rise to success as a solo artist, despite a string of personal traumas - before his ill-fated flight over Monterey Bay. Starring Chad Lowe, Kristin Davis, Gerald McRaney and Brian Markinson

9pm Joan Baez Live In New York (Sky Arts)
    The folk singer-songwriter performs alongside stars including David Crosby, Damien Rice and Paul Simon in a concert at New York's Beacon Theatre in celebration of her 75th birthday

9pm Ring Of Fire (True Movies)
    The story of the decades-long love affair between June Carter and her husband, Johnny Cash. Romantic drama, starring Jewel Kilcher, Matt Ross and John Doe

10.50pm Johhny Cash's Bitter Tears (Sky Arts)

12.05am Dixie Chicks DCX MMXVI Live (Sky Arts)

John Denver playing in Cork on TG4 and True Movies in the same weekend, it's all going on for John Denver fans.

Robert Patrick up there playing Vernon, Elvis Presley's Dad. But he was also Johnny Cash's Dad in Walk The Line. I don't know if he ever played Johnny Cash but he did portray a 75 year old Elvis planning a triumphant comeback in 2008's Lonely Street.

So if you're looking to cast any of the Million Dollar Quartet or a member their family in a film role, you know who to call

• Registered Users Posts: 71,483 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

‘You Spin Me Round (Like A Record)’

Impossible to dislike :)

Jaz Coleman terrifying the nation.

Good times. :)

• Advertisement

How Soon Is Now :cool:

Really looking forward to that Classical Smiths concert. :pac:

How Soon Is Now :cool:

Really looking forward to that Classical Smiths concert. :pac:

I think that got cancelled almost as soon as it was announced, bit of a shambles.

entertaining show tonight.

No idea what Bates does be rambling on about, "Don Henley releasing Boys of Summer and its a hit in the UK, despite the judgement of Radio 1 DJs who didn't believe it would chart here"
    Just introduce the songs and get off the telly, Simon lad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Hinge and Bracket!

This has ‘spurned housewives’ written all over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

Ah, King. Loved their first album. *blush*

Is it a mullet?

Is it a Mohawk?

A Mohlet, maybe?

Trying to equate Charlie Chaplin with Howard Jones.

:confused:

Did Jed forget his mental chains?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,612 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I'm not gonna let the elevator break us down...

Solo Mick Jagger.

*shudder*

*pout*

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

What year is this ?

86?

• Advertisement

What year is this ?

86?

85!

‘Run To You’ - another classic :)

My aul one loved this

Some pretty nifty moves from David O’Leary on that pedestal :D

I preferred Sandy when she was in The Smiths

A reminder that the channel Yesterday - don’t know if you can get it in Ireland, Sky channel 537 over here - has lots of music documentaries every Saturday night from 7pm.

‘Sounds Of The Sixties’ tonight, followed by ‘Sings The Beatles’, ‘Easy Listening Hits At The BBC’ and ‘Guitar Heroes At The BBC’.

That's right. The only thing is a lot of them have been on BBC already.

Just watched part three of ‘Hits, Hype And Hustle’.

Actually featuring the ‘Streets Of London’ sketch from ‘Big Train’ :D

Must be heartbreaking though for an act to play the nostalgia circuit, even when they have new material to play.

And that exhibition for The Jam was amazing - went dozens of times when it came to Liverpool.

Just watched part three of ‘Hits, Hype And Hustle’.

Actually featuring the ‘Streets Of London’ sketch from ‘Big Train’ :D

Must be heartbreaking though for an act to play the nostalgia circuit, even when they have new material to play.

And that exhibition for The Jam was amazing - went dozens of times when it came to Liverpool.

That was enjoyable, I enjoyed the series more than I thought I would.

Any programme that references Big Train's Streets of London sketch is alright by me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,802 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

A reminder that the channel Yesterday - don’t know if you can get it in Ireland

Freesat Channel 159 for us enlightened/cheap folks :)

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,802 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Killing Joke were pretty good, disappointed I didn't get into them at the time - never got much of a chance to hear them.

And yes I was a huge Nirvana fan and the, eh, similarities, are undeniable...

The Evening Herald's 'rock' critic at the time dismissed one of their albums along the lines of something that you would play repeatedly if you wanted your auntie to be checking into the county home before the day is out. Pretty unfair on KJ from what I can see (hear?), and of course makes fun of our long and shameful history of locking up people society found inconvenient.

Life ain't always empty.

Advertisement