Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

October 2018 Babies club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Cash_Q wrote: »
    Thank you mirrorwall! Does the hospital then contact you with dates?

Yes, if your GP refers you. Or you can self-refer, which is what I’ve done this time. I’ve not been to my GP yet.

They will want to know what hospital and which sort of care you wish to opt for - public, semi-private or private - so I would decide on this first of all.

Congratulations!

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

Congratulations to all the new additions to the thread since I last posted!

Definitely self refer i reckon, no point I going to your gp to hand over 50 quid for something you can do yourself I reckon!

greenttc wrote: »
    Congratulations to all the new additions to the thread since I last posted!

Definitely self refer i reckon, no point I going to your gp to hand over 50 quid for something you can do yourself I reckon!

When do you plan to go to your GP then greenttc? Dont you need to book an appt to register for the combined care? My GP charges €65 for the initial appt and then the combined care takes over... if there’s a way of avoiding this and just going when I actually need to go, I’d love it!

I was wondering whether we need to get flu jabs at this stage? Or if that’s just if you’re further along?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lunamoon

I got my flu jab when I was getting my bloods done.

If you're going private (and have your appointment with your consultant already) does the doctor still need to send something to the hospital?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I don’t think so Lunamoon, give them a ring and see. I had my flu jab already his year as I’m an asthmatic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭clacla82

Hi there.... can I join?? (shy voice)

I had a positive pregnancy test the night of Jan 28. Unexpected as I thought I hadn't ovulated that month - it was our second month of actively trying and I was knee deep in ovulation strips! The only reason I did the test was that I the ovulation strip & digital test came up positive and I just knew the dates were wrong! Couldn't be more thrilled - had somehow convinced myself I would have trouble conceiving.

So unsure as to my dates as had a long-ish cycle since coming off pill at end of October, but definitely due sometime in first half of October!

I did have some spotting for a couple of days before getting the positive (which I thought was the start of my period and that it was coming early). The GP referred me to my local early pregnancy unit - they wanted me to come in today but I ended up cancelling. I reckon I am only 5 wks 2/3 days at this stage and they wouldn't see much, if anything, and it could be cause for more worry. Re-arranged for next Thursday.

I feel good, the lines are getting darker and darker on the tests I have done, and I don't want to overcomplicate things at this stage. I would have paid for an early pregnancy scan anyway at 7 weeks for peace of mind; at least next Thursday I will be almost 7 weeks and there is more chance of seeing a heartbeat.

I am joining this to stop myself from frantically googling everything, ending up in random forums and diving down black holes of crazy Yanks arguiing with each other!!!

Right now I have v few symptoms if any. Maybe peeing more, some lower back pain, mild food aversions - nothing that would have made me thought I was pregnant.

How are you all feeling?

I thought I had morning sickness but I think it was more nervous/excitement sickness. My boobs are kinda sore and I am gone off a bit of food. Things like chocolate and jellies which i'd usually dive for I'm turning my nose at.

lunamoon wrote: »
    I thought I had morning sickness but I think it was more nervous/excitement sickness. My boobs are kinda sore and I am gone off a bit of food. Things like chocolate and jellies which i'd usually dive for I'm turning my nose at.

Yes! Am so over sweet things! Also the nervous excitement thing - I lost 2lb last week!

Yeh I lost weight as well but I think I'm back to my normal weight now. I'm trying to make myself eat often but I'm just bleugh! Although last night I thought I was going to die if I didn't get a bag of chips and curry sauce from the chipper :D

Ha, has to be a good sign! Driving myself mad, almost willing the onset of symptoms. I suppose first pregnancies are like this, a bit surreal?

• Advertisement

Yeh I reckon it won't probably sink in until after I've had a scan. I'm booking myself for a super early one because I'm a bag of nerves.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

If it helps, I had no symptoms, and the result of that pregnancy is in school now. :)

About 3/4 of women experience nausea, but only about half of pregnant women have actual vomiting, so that leaves about 25% of women who never get any nausea or sickness.

Welcome to the club clacla82!

I’ve a few symptoms but I’m not sure I’d have noticed them if I didn’t know I was pregnant. The main things that alerted me to pregnancy were the fact that I’m still breastfeeding my 12 month old and my supply seems to have dipped, and I swear I’ve got round ligament pain already.

Other wee things like peeing more, mild food aversions (also to sweet stuff), and mild dizziness - but I’m not sure I’d have noticed them if I wasn’t looking for them!

I had 24/7 overwhelming nausea for 22 weeks the last time, and I’m really really nervous about getting it again this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

How early is the earliest private scan we could get and where?

Going to GP tomorrow, I have an underactive thyroid and on meds, last time I saw a consultant I was told to increase dose if I get pregnant which I've done but I want go make sure the GP highlights me to the Thyroid unit at the Coombe. Ahhhhhh at the Coombe...I'm going to be going to the Coombe :D it is still sinking in but 5 positive tests speak for themselves, just keep pinching myself! Woke up at 3.30am with the excitement haha :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Going to GP tomorrow, I have an underactive thyroid and on meds, last time I saw a consultant I was told to increase dose if I get pregnant which I've done but I want go make sure the GP highlights me to the Thyroid unit at the Coombe. Ahhhhhh at the Coombe...I'm going to be going to the Coombe :D it is still sinking in but 5 positive tests speak for themselves, just keep pinching myself! Woke up at 3.30am with the excitement haha :D

You could get a scan at 6 weeks but you may not see much. I had one and the heart etc hadn’t developed yet. Had an 8 week scan then and we could see the heart beating away.

I would definitely wait until 8 weeks as you’ll see the heartbeat then. If you go between 10-13 weeks they can do a nuchal translucency test too so I’ll probably wait until then, as Holles St don’t do a 12 week scan. I’m pretty sure the Coombe do though.

The nausea has started already girls. And I reckon I’m only about 4.5 weeks. It didn’t start until 7 weeks last time. Oh goddddddddd

Went to GP yesterday and may as well have thrown €55 down the drain, she was next to useless. Confirmed pregnancy alright but I'd done 6 tests myself all positive. She checked my blood pressure and gave me repeat prescriptions, quickly explained the combined care scheme and sent me off. I don't know what I expected but I left without feeling I knew what was happening so ended up going back and asking her to write it all down for me.

As a first pregnancy I felt she could have been a bit clearer on when I can expect to hear from the hospital, how frequently I'll see them and things I should/shouldn't be doing. She never discussed a due date and while I know I can calculate that myself, how does she know that I can? My cycle is only 25 days so last period started 14th Jan and missed period 7th Feb so I am only 3 weeks 6 days. Using apps I'm getting 16th/18th/21st October but she didn't even raise it although she did ask first date of last period but she left it there.

It just feels like I'm out on my own until 12 weeks with no medical advice or support. Am I being overly sensitive?!

Hey Cash_Q, no I don't think you're being too sensitive. I had a similar experience. Do you plan on doing combined care?

I think they don't discuss your due date because it can change and you'll have a more in-depth discussion with your obstetrician or midwife.

Went to GP yesterday and may as well have thrown €55 down the drain, she was next to useless. Confirmed pregnancy alright but I'd done 6 tests myself all positive. She checked my blood pressure and gave me repeat prescriptions, quickly explained the combined care scheme and sent me off. I don't know what I expected but I left without feeling I knew what was happening so ended up going back and asking her to write it all down for me.

As a first pregnancy I felt she could have been a bit clearer on when I can expect to hear from the hospital, how frequently I'll see them and things I should/shouldn't be doing. She never discussed a due date and while I know I can calculate that myself, how does she know that I can? My cycle is only 25 days so last period started 14th Jan and missed period 7th Feb so I am only 3 weeks 6 days. Using apps I'm getting 16th/18th/21st October but she didn't even raise it although she did ask first date of last period but she left it there.

It just feels like I'm out on my own until 12 weeks with no medical advice or support. Am I being overly sensitive?!

Do you have an ongoing medical condition that you need prescriptions for or that may complicate your pregnancy? If not, your GP experience was the same as mine really.

When you here from the hospital will depend on how quickly they process your form from the GP.

How frequently you’ll see them depends on your pregnancy and the hospital you go to.

The only thing you should be doing at this stage is keep taking your folic acid. You should avoid certain foods and the NHS website is really good for that information.

Your due date will be properly established at your dating scan. The GP would only do the standard calculation based on your last period anyway.

If you post what hospital you will be going to, other posters can tell you what to expect in terms of when you could expect to hear from the hospital etc based on their experience. I found that the posters here are a fountain of knowledge so are great to ask questions to.

• Advertisement

Thank you lunamoon and bee06, she didn't even refer me to the hospital I had to go home and print the form myself 😂 I'm going to the Coombe with combined care at GP practice. I have an underactive thyroid and my thyroid consultant said I therefore have a greater risk of miscarriage in both first and second trimester, but he did also tell me to increase my dose when I find out I'm pregnant which I've done. Thyroid consultant said that the maternity hospitals thyroid unit will also monitor me and GP agreed this is correct. Thanks for your replies I do feel at ease now, I don't know what I expected at GP but it didn't seem very thorough that's all.

It’s pretty bad form alright given your medical condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 FA12345

Hi girls,

I just joined this board and wanted to say hi... maybe we will unknowingly meet in the ward someday :-)!
    I calculated my due date at 21st October. Currently 15dpo (AF would be due today), due to recurrent MC/chemical pregnant history I had beta HCG of 120 on 13dpo, then took a CB digital on 14dpo which said 2-3 weeks (sensitivity says 2-3 weeks is beta levels over 201). My progesterone seems low on 13dpo at 14.7 but doctor says that progesterone means nothing which I think is nuts!

Just give me some progesterone suppositories to insert into my vajajay!! Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

CashQ the first gp appointment usually isn't very thorough, it is just to confirm pregnancy, get starting points of blood pressure, weight, etc and start the ball rolling re hospital appointments. The first hospital appointment is the thorough one as they go through your medical history, they do bloods, scan, and all that. There isn't much to do or not do before the 12 week appointment, once your medical condition is being taken care of.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

Took a test last night (on day 27) and it was positive, so here I am joining in! :eek:

This is my first pregnancy, planned and trying since November. Even though I would now be considered a "geriatric mother" :rolleyes: I'm feeling so clueless I might as well be 15 again.

Rotunda is my nearest maternity hospital. Would be happy to hear others' experiences there. I can't imagine I'll go as a private patient, more likely public. But I feel like I know nothing about my options right now despite all the reading I've been doing over the last few months!

FA12345 wrote: »
    Hi girls,
    I just joined this board and wanted to say hi... maybe we will unknowingly meet in the ward someday :-)!
    I calculated my due date at 21st October.

I'm looking at 21st October too, might see you then! :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Someone else has a thread about this I think

.....Rotunda babies for both my first two, currently pregnant with third....no complaints.I went semi-private but I know plenty of people who are public.All the hospitals operate similarly really, but I think Rotunda and Coombe do 12 week appointments whereas your first in Holles st is often not til 16/17 weeks.After that there's not much to choose.We went Rotunda because it's closest to us too, and have had very good experiences there.You'll hear stories of all of them, good and bad, so it's up to yourself.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Thank you lunamoon and bee06, she didn't even refer me to the hospital I had to go home and print the form myself �� I'm going to the Coombe with combined care at GP practice. I have an underactive thyroid and my thyroid consultant said I therefore have a greater risk of miscarriage in both first and second trimester, but he did also tell me to increase my dose when I find out I'm pregnant which I've done. Thyroid consultant said that the maternity hospitals thyroid unit will also monitor me and GP agreed this is correct. Thanks for your replies I do feel at ease now, I don't know what I expected at GP but it didn't seem very thorough that's all.

As you've got an existing endocrine issue, you'll go in with the other endocrine maternity mammies. That usually means you'll get your appointments with a consultant rather than a midwife and you'll get more appointments than the mammies going with the midwives. I've a very minor endocrine issue, so I had consultants and professor (I was on the public system) and a lot more scans too, which was nice.

The GP generally just refers you to the hospital, occasionally doing an additional test but that's it. It's at your first appointment that all your history will be taken, and you'll get a better idea how your pregnancy will be checked for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I was technically combined care in the Coombe on my first but the reality was that I ended up in the hospital for almost all visits plus extra scans etc for multiple different reason. I'll go for the same again but we'll see how it goes. Apart from the wait for the clinics I found the public care excellent with the exception of post natal wards which were bedlam and all I wanted to do was go home. No one ever checked my stitches or anything and my painkillers were always late, I had to keep asking for them.

Did a CB today at 5 weeks and still showing 2-3. Trying not to be nervous but the last time I didn't make it to 3+ weeks on the monitor and miscarried in the end so I'm a little freaked out.

On the other hand nausea has kicked in horribly. I basically need to keep eating or I feel sick. Its so early this time! I was 9 weeks on the first

Thanks Neyite, I thought it pretty strange that there was no option on the booking form to alert them to existing medical conditions, so I presume I'll just have to wait until my first appointment to tell them, and will then hopefully get the consultant care you mentioned. I just feel that considering my thyroid consultant said my risk of miscarriage is greater in both first and second trimester that I'd feel a bit clued in on what to look out for etc.

If I experience a bleed do I go to A&E in a normal hospital? Or is there an A&E at the Coombe? Please God all will be fine and well throughout but I think they should prepare us for what to do if something happens? My job is a bit risky too; I teach in a special school and one student acts out physically at times, he kicked my colleague in the stomach last week. What do I do if that happens to me?

• Advertisement

I was technically combined care in the Coombe on my first but the reality was that I ended up in the hospital for almost all visits plus extra scans etc for multiple different reason. I'll go for the same again but we'll see how it goes. Apart from the wait for the clinics I found the public care excellent with the exception of post natal wards which were bedlam and all I wanted to do was go home. No one ever checked my stitches or anything and my painkillers were always late, I had to keep asking for them.

Did a CB today at 5 weeks and still showing 2-3. Trying not to be nervous but the last time I didn't make it to 3+ weeks on the monitor and miscarried in the end so I'm a little freaked out.

On the other hand nausea has kicked in horribly. I basically need to keep eating or I feel sick. Its so early this time! I was 9 weeks on the first

Mirrorwall, I highly recommend staying away from those CB date indicators! They cause so much unnecessary anxiety. If you’re already nauseous at 5 weeks, this implies that your hcg levels are definitely on the rise! So try not to worry (although I can’t imagine how hard that is after a MC).

Advertisement