Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

October 2018 Babies club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

CashQ you'd usually go to the maternity ward if you experience bleeding rather than A&E, you just call your hospital and let the midwives know you're coming in/ask their advice.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

CashQ you'd usually go to the maternity ward if you experience bleeding rather than A&E, you just call your hospital and let the midwives know you're coming in/ask their advice.

Having said that, if the maternity unit is closed to walk-ins at weekends or out of hours some hospitals' policy is to be admitted via A&E. But you can always ring your local hospital to check.

With regards to work, you can request a risk assessment for pregnancy and they should take you off tasks that can be harmful for your pregnancy. I appreciate that most women want to wait until the beginning of the second trimester to let them know but if your job has tasks /chemicals/ equipment that are not safe for pregnant women, then the priority is the safety of the pregnancy.

In terms of what to expect about things potentially going wrong, in my experience medics won't talk to you about that when booking in. Newly pregnant women are already nervous enough without adding to it by giving them information about something that may never happen. But if you experience any pain, any bleeding, or any sudden loss of symptoms then ring or drop in to your maternity unit to get checked out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Trigger warning, skip this if miscarriage discussion disturbs

Really really wish it wasn’t midterm this week. I’m totally wired. At 6 weeks last time I got a 2-3 weeks on a clearblue. My lines hadn’t fully darkened and honestly I suspected but denied something may not be right. I had postponed my GP visit until 6+5 because I wasn’t sure and I knew the GP visit didn’t do much. The day before that appointment I started to miscarry. At the appointment he referred me straight to the Coombe and that was the beginning of the end.

This time around I’m now 5+3 so coming up on that time. I’m still 2-3 on clearblue though my FR lines are much darker than last time they’re not doing that leach thing from the control that you see people posting. I know they are not reliable but I can’t help myself.

Does anyone know if you can pay to have HCG bloods done anywhere in Dublin? I’m on the verge of tears constantly, my psoriasis is flaring badly and I’m not sleeping with stress. I’m tired and overwrought which is not a good combination with a toddler and early pregnancy. I’m afraid to even book a GP appointment in case I jinx myself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Mirror wall, for peace of mind would it be worth going for an early scan? They won’t see a lot at this stage, but they should see a gestational sac and yolk sac, and they can measure if to make sure your dates are within a few days?

HCG levels can vary widely from person to person even at the same dates in pregnancy, so those indicator tests don’t always turn to 3 weeks at the same time for everyone, even in a perfectly healthy pregnancy.

You had a miscarriage and it was truly awful, but does it help at all to remind you that 1 in 4 pregnancies end in miscarriage - most perfectly healthy women will experience one, and go on to have a beautiful healthy baby afterwards.

Please be kind to yourself, and please stop buying those stupid tests. They absolutely are NOT a way of predicting miscarriage, and you’re just torturing yourself :(

True. To be fair I haven’t bought them in a week I just have loads. Had a big cry on the other half there and feeling more human now. I was off on stress leave by the GP in December for other reasons so I think I’m just a hell of a lot more fragile than I’d care to admit

I’m definitely going to have an early scan. We had one at 9 weeks last time and I’m hoping to do the same again. I’d be concerned that having one too early and not having a heart beat or something would have me lose it entirely waiting.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Mirrorwall what hospital are you?
    If you are with one of the bigger ones, I suggest you ring them tomorrow.I don't know if you can self-refer to the early pregnancy units, but it maybe that you could ask them.I have been in on all three pregnancies with bleeding and spotting any time from 5 weeks on, through the Rotunda emergency dept, who then referred me on to the EPU, for as many scans as it took for them to be happy..There's no point in torturing yourself, and I would have thought that after a MC, most places (that I've heard of) will tell you to come in for an early scan anyway.They picked up a sac and yolk at 5 weeks on mine and a heartbeat from roughly 6 weeks (although they did warn me there may not be ome and not to worry if so), so at the very least they will be able to tell you if the pregnancy looks viable, even if they can't give you guarantees.And likelihood is you will be given a follow up appointment for 7-10 days time.(sorry to be so clinical, but have been through the language-and stress of it- three times now).
    Stop using CB tests.Think about it, they aren't designed to be an indicator to track how your pregnancy is growing.They are meant to give a rough one off reading of how pregnant you are once and that's it.You still have strong nausea that's a good sign (believe me it was my good sign through the first trimester nerves on all three).Give your hospital a shout tomorrow and see do they have any suggestions;try their EPU direct if needed.

shesty wrote: »
    Mirrorwall what hospital are you?
    If you are with one of the bigger ones, I suggest you ring them tomorrow.I don't know if you can self-refer to the early pregnancy units, but it maybe that you could ask them.I have been in on all three pregnancies with bleeding and spotting any time from 5 weeks on, through the Rotunda emergency dept, who then referred me on to the EPU, for as many scans as it took for them to be happy..There's no point in torturing yourself, and I would have thought that after a MC, most places (that I've heard of) will tell you to come in for an early scan anyway.They picked up a sac and yolk at 5 weeks on mine and a heartbeat from roughly 6 weeks (although they did warn me there may not be ome and not to worry if so), so at the very least they will be able to tell you if the pregnancy looks viable, even if they can't give you guarantees.And likelihood is you will be given a follow up appointment for 7-10 days time.(sorry to be so clinical, but have been through the language-and stress of it- three times now).
    Stop using CB tests.Think about it, they aren't designed to be an indicator to track how your pregnancy is growing.They are meant to give a rough one off reading of how pregnant you are once and that's it.You still have strong nausea that's a good sign (believe me it was my good sign through the first trimester nerves on all three).Give your hospital a shout tomorrow and see do they have any suggestions;try their EPU direct if needed.

I'm in the Coombe or rather will be in the Coombe. My understanding from my GP when I saw him in January for other reasons was that unless I've had three miscarriages or I'm bleeding that they won't be interested. And when I'm being rational I get that. Realistically no one can do anything one way or the other so its "wasted resources" except for my own peace of mind. Thats why I'd consider paying to do doubling HCG tests. I don't want to be a burden as such but the unknown is the part thats wrecking my head. And I mean I'm not bleeding so I'm not a priority when there's so many others who have actual problems

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lunamoon

I'm in the Coombe or rather will be in the Coombe. My understanding from my GP when I saw him in January for other reasons was that unless I've had three miscarriages or I'm bleeding that they won't be interested. And when I'm being rational I get that. Realistically no one can do anything one way or the other so its "wasted resources" except for my own peace of mind. Thats why I'd consider paying to do doubling HCG tests. I don't want to be a burden as such but the unknown is the part thats wrecking my head. And I mean I'm not bleeding so I'm not a priority when there's so many others who have actual problems

I'm in the Rotunda and I had a tiny stretch type pain last week and rang them to ask them if it was something to worry about. They said probably not but told me to come down anyway. They scanned me and gave me the once-over. Not sure if it's the case in the Coombe but the Rotunda had no issue with giving me an early scan and told me to come back anytime I needed reassurance.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I know mirrorwall, but I am 100% certain I know at least one friend who had a miscarriage on her first, then Holles st took her in for early scans on her second to reassure.I also know someone who had a miscarriage last year and was told in the Rotunda to get in touch as soon as she was pregnant again, for early scans.As with lunamoon, I have been in and out plenty of times to the Emergency Room and the EPU, and their attitude is always that you're better to come in and be sure.
    You have nothing to lose by ringing them to find out, it's what they are there for.

Doing one hell of a lot better today. Sent the toddler to the childminder even though it’s midterm and went back to bed. I’ve started doing mind the bump religiously going to bed and have now slept properly for two days in a row. Feeling very positive and finally starting to feel excited.

Assisted by the arrival of my partners redundancy which we are using to buy an office for the garden as we’ll need the spare bedroom back!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭clacla82

Feeling the tiniest bit nauseous now the past couple of days. Still not sleeping great, although was wrecked yesterday and went for a nap. I am self-employed so it's so hard to stay motivated and not be distracted by the Google black hole!

I still don't feel pregnant though, it's just surreal. Early scan on Thursday so hoping it's all good.

Can't imagine doing this with a toddler @mirrorwall14!

clacla82 wrote: »
    Feeling the tiniest bit nauseous now the past couple of days. Still not sleeping great, although was wrecked yesterday and went for a nap. I am self-employed so it's so hard to stay motivated and not be distracted by the Google black hole!

I still don't feel pregnant though, it's just surreal. Early scan on Thursday so hoping it's all good.

Can't imagine doing this with a toddler @mirrorwall14!

Well he’s three now so practically a child which is more than a little terrifying!

Like you I’m nauseous a good bit, heartburn and wind are the other two that are driving me nuts!

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭awny

Lads I’m 7 weeks and I’m so nauseous and tired all of the time. The nausea is not so bad when I wake up but it gets worse as the day goes on.

Just wondering how Ye are getting on exercise wise? Trying to manage a small walk but don’t have the motivation with the constant nausea, it’s crippling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Aw awny, commiserations on the nausea - I had it really bad last time for 22 weeks and it really got me down. The best things for it for me were just distraction and sleeping as much as possible (I used to go to bed at like 7pm just to get the day over with), and drinking cold fruity drinks and sucking on boiled sweets. And chewing minty gum. They took the edge off a little.

I’m only 5 weeks so nausea hasn’t really kicked in yet (just the occasional wave), but I’m really struggling at home at the minute. I have a 12 month old (who took his first steps today, wooooo!) who is going through a really clingy and cranky phase and is very demanding. He also won’t go to sleep for me without a mammoth battle - it took 90 mins to get him down last night, and he was awake again and impossible to settle 4 hours later.

I’m also struggling with insomnia, which isn’t a new thing but finding out I’m pregnant again has me all in a tizzy, so I’ve averaged 3-4 hours sleep per night since I found out on the 4th or 5th.

After 45 mins trying to resettle him in the middle of the night, I lost it and dumped him on his dad, got in the car, and drove around the city until 4am. Came back and still couldn’t sleep at all, but the drive did me good.

Other than that, I’m just peeing a lot (which isn’t helping with the insomnia), I’m obviously exhausted, and my fuse is a bit shorter than usual.

I wish I could sleep for a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭awny

Aw awny, commiserations on the nausea - I had it really bad last time for 22 weeks and it really got me down. The best things for it for me were just distraction and sleeping as much as possible (I used to go to bed at like 7pm just to get the day over with), and drinking cold fruity drinks and sucking on boiled sweets. And chewing minty gum. They took the edge off a little.

I’m only 5 weeks so nausea hasn’t really kicked in yet (just the occasional wave), but I’m really struggling at home at the minute. I have a 12 month old (who took his first steps today, wooooo!) who is going through a really clingy and cranky phase and is very demanding. He also won’t go to sleep for me without a mammoth battle - it took 90 mins to get him down last night, and he was awake again and impossible to settle 4 hours later.

I’m also struggling with insomnia, which isn’t a new thing but finding out I’m pregnant again has me all in a tizzy, so I’ve averaged 3-4 hours sleep per night since I found out on the 4th or 5th.

After 45 mins trying to resettle him in the middle of the night, I lost it and dumped him on his dad, got in the car, and drove around the city until 4am. Came back and still couldn’t sleep at all, but the drive did me good.

Other than that, I’m just peeing a lot (which isn’t helping with the insomnia), I’m obviously exhausted, and my fuse is a bit shorter than usual.

Oh man Caitrionanic, I dunno how I’d cope feeling like this with a toddler. Fair play to you! Hopefully the sleeping improves for you x

Oh that’s rough going. You are doing it right though, It’s the one piece of advice I always tell new mums, there will be moments where you walk away if you can. I remember on a few occasions when my husband came home from work I walked back out the door to have a coffee and read the paper in mc d’s. Our lad had reflux and was seriously unsettled before he was diagnosed.

Hopefully it’s just teeth or a leap with him and he’ll settle back into things for you

Caitrionanic, I find on my second and third pregnancies, my fuse was barely there.I have zero patience.I don't know if it's worse this time round because there's two of them and the older is ....well, she's definitely three......but I had to have a serious chat with myself a few weeks ago and remind myself of just that-she's only three.Everyone is getting the brunt of it though, OH, the lot of them.Keep telling myself it's only for a few more weeks really and things can start to get back to some sort of normal then.
    It's normal but the mummy guilt is terrible.It's so so tough getting through it when you have smallies already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Mirrowall14 glad to hear you're starting to feel excited, you deserve it :)

I had an awful wave of nausea yesterday felt very faint but only lasted a few weeks...such early days for me still but I presume this is the start of what's to come!

I was still a bit iffy about my GP being so lax with me considering my thyroid issues; thankfully I have a personal connection to my thyroid consultant so they've asked me to come in immediately; rushing bloods through tomorrow and meeting professor on Thursday. Really feel comforted that they are taking this seriously for me.

Cash_Q wrote: »
    Mirrowall14 glad to hear you're starting to feel excited, you deserve it :)

I had an awful wave of nausea yesterday felt very faint but only lasted a few weeks...such early days for me still but I presume this is the start of what's to come!

I was still a bit iffy about my GP being so lax with me considering my thyroid issues; thankfully I have a personal connection to my thyroid consultant so they've asked me to come in immediately; rushing bloods through tomorrow and meeting professor on Thursday. Really feel comforted that they are taking this seriously for me.

Thanks.
    My GP is useless with pregnancy. He literally will not prescribe anything. I’ve come off all my meds but I’m going to have to talk to them when I get in because I’m feeling it, particularly the lack of my stomach med. heartburn is raging and it makes me cough

Oh no Mirrorwall14 that's a pity, would you consider changing GP? If you know of others who were happier with a particular practice during pregnancy? The GP I saw was a stand in so I don't blame her for not considering my thyroid too seriously but I should have emphasised it.

Is there nothing you can take?

• Advertisement

Cash_Q wrote: »
    Oh no Mirrorwall14 that's a pity, would you consider changing GP? If you know of others who were happier with a particular practice during pregnancy? The GP I saw was a stand in so I don't blame her for not considering my thyroid too seriously but I should have emphasised it.

Is there nothing you can take?

I was on zantac in 2nd trimester and omeprazole in third trimester last time around approved by the hospital, I was mostly consultant led in the end due to complications. This time it does seem to be worse faster so I'm focusing on diet and rennies for now but I'd prefer to get out of first trimester before I get to taking anything at all. We'll see how long that lasts. Keeping the asthma under control is important though so I won't do anything silly :D

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

Cash_Q wrote:

If you're not happy with your GP, there's no harm in looking to change to someone you feel is taking your concerns a bit more seriously.

I went to the doctor on Monday, just took the appointment with whoever was available. After the appointment, I asked the secretary to never give me an appointment with that doctor ever again. She was so impatient, had absolutely NO time for my questions, was so derisive and actually rolled her eyes (and even said "I derisively roll my eyes..." I think it was at the marketing of pregnancy vitamins, rather than directly at me, but basically expressed utter contempt for my questions.)

I asked her about nutritional advice, which she called "the latest fad" & told me to go to the internet. She even asked "do you have many more questions?"

When she was going to take my blood pressure, she started pushing up the sleeve on my long sleeve t-shirt. I said I could take it off (had a vest top underneath) as it wouldn't roll up far enough & she insisted "no no see it's going" and kept pushing it until I told her I didn't want it to and it would hurt. It would have cut off the blood supply to my arm what she was trying to do! I'm big enough to speak up for myself, can only imagine what she's like with a more vulnerable patient who wouldn't tell her to stop.

And those are just some of the highlights of her poor bedside manner. Anyway, I won't be seeing her again!

She did tell me to "go home and live your life as normal, without alcohol" and come back in 4 weeks when she'd take more info and send a letter of referral to the Rotunda, said I was way too early to refer yet. Is this usual?

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

If you're not happy with your GP, there's no harm in looking to change to someone you feel is taking your concerns a bit more seriously.

I went to the doctor on Monday, just took the appointment with whoever was available. After the appointment, I asked the secretary to never give me an appointment with that doctor ever again. She was so impatient, had absolutely NO time for my questions, was so derisive and actually rolled her eyes (and even said "I derisively roll my eyes..." I think it was at the marketing of pregnancy vitamins, rather than directly at me, but basically expressed utter contempt for my questions.)

I asked her about nutritional advice, which she called "the latest fad" & told me to go to the internet. She even asked "do you have many more questions?"

When she was going to take my blood pressure, she started pushing up the sleeve on my long sleeve t-shirt. I said I could take it off (had a vest top underneath) as it wouldn't roll up far enough & she insisted "no no see it's going" and kept pushing it until I told her I didn't want it to and it would hurt. It would have cut off the blood supply to my arm what she was trying to do! I'm big enough to speak up for myself, can only imagine what she's like with a more vulnerable patient who wouldn't tell her to stop.

And those are just some of the highlights of her poor bedside manner. Anyway, I won't be seeing her again!

She did tell me to "go home and live your life as normal, without alcohol" and come back in 4 weeks when she'd take more info and send a letter of referral to the Rotunda, said I was way too early to refer yet. Is this usual?

It's never too early to refer i think but to be honest I wouldnt bother going to a gp and would just self refer, as I did. My opinion is that it is a waste of time going to a gp when you first find out you are pregnant unless of course you have questions or maybe a medical history that would require it. Some people would feel more comfortable going I suppose but really they don't do too much!

greenttc wrote: »
    It's never too early to refer i think but to be honest I wouldnt bother going to a gp and would just self refer, as I did. My opinion is that it is a waste of time going to a gp when you first find out you are pregnant unless of course you have questions or maybe a medical history that would require it. Some people would feel more comfortable going I suppose but really they don't do too much!

I my case I want to head in to discuss medication for asthma and psoriasis. The problem is the last time he didn’t really know what he was doing, read everything from a book and at 16 weeks or so refused to give me steroids/antibiotics for an asthma flare up and predictably I ended up in the Coombe over the weekend who handed me both in the emergency room looking at me like I had 10 heads her I wasn’t on them. Had to be admitted as a consequence

Edit: I wondee could I just ask him for an EPU referral as they’d be more familiar with the drugs?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

greenttc wrote: »

Not all hospitals do self refer unfortunately. The GP is supposed to do blood tests and results are brought to the booking appointment in Cork anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

greenttc wrote:

I didn't know if I could refer myself to the Rotunda, but I figured I might be waiting a couple of weeks to be seen and had some questions I wanted to ask in the meantime. And I'm old :-) so I keep reading that I need to keep an extra close eye. :-/

She did say they would take a blood test when I go back in 4 weeks (I'll be just 8 weeks at that appointment.)

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭clacla82

So I had my early scan today and we saw a heartbeat!!! They think I am 6wks 2days which would tie in with when I roughly thought too.

Surreal and so reassuring to see the little bean - the heartbeat seemed so fast, Such a great sign at this early stage!

Hopefully this will help with what is now chronic insomnia - ever since doing the original pregnancy test! I see some of you have it too, so I don't feel too alone!

It was awful though, a poor girl had had a miscarriage and was in a cubicle just next to where they do the scan. I could hear her crying as I was waiting, I started crying too. Maternity facilities woefully inadequate, zero privacy.

I visited my GP on all three...then rang the Rotunda and made my own booking appointment.I go semi private though, maybe that's different.I go to the GP mainly to get on their radar and get into the combined care scheme.I don't have any expectations of them, there is little or nothing any of them can do til about 24 weeks or so anyway.Unless there is medication to manage or something, as in your case Mirrorwall.Nature does it all.

clacla82 wrote: »
    So I had my early scan today and we saw a heartbeat!!! They think I am 6wks 2days which would tie in with when I roughly thought too.

Surreal and so reassuring to see the little bean - the heartbeat seemed so fast, Such a great sign at this early stage!

Hopefully this will help with what is now chronic insomnia - ever since doing the original pregnancy test! I see some of you have it too, so I don't feel too alone!

It was awful though, a poor girl had had a miscarriage and was in a cubicle just next to where they do the scan. I could hear her crying as I was waiting, I started crying too. Maternity facilities woefully inadequate, zero privacy.

Where was that clacla, that's awful.

• Advertisement

Wow shortie chik she sounds terrible! You're so right to insist on another doctor in future. I had an awful experience with my previous GP and moved to this practice about 10 months ago and have been very happy each time, as I say this GP was a stand in and didn't necessarily do anything wrong, I just thought she could have given me clearer information. I know this is everyday stuff for her but for me it's my first pregnancy and at this early stage am not discussing it with my family/friends who have experience of the whole thing so I just thought she was a bit lax.

Anyway I was with my thyroid team today, met consultant and professor and they are very happy with my thyroid levels. They explained that once the levels are 'reasonable' there is no risk of complication and my levels are "very very good" so that's reassuring :)

It's still such early days that I'm trying to be realistic about the chance of miscarriage but there's also no reason to suggest I'll miscarry especially with the thyroid in good control. Do others worry that it's too good to be true?

We are booked in for an early scan privately at 8 weeks and telling our families on Mothers Day so only a few weeks left to keep secret but it feels like it'll take forever!

Advertisement