Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

October 2018 Babies club

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

lunamoon wrote: »
    Off drink for lent :D

Whatever you do, don't use the antibiotics one, it's such a giveaway and got me busted. :pac:

I successfully pulled off the fake hangovers and it works if you are seeing different groups. I pretended on the Friday night I'd gone out on the Thursday night and had a horrific hangover so was sticking to water. On Saturday night I pretended that I'd had the hangover from hell from the Friday so was on the water. OH played along with hangover jokes. And if you are already queasy from morning sickness it looks exactly like a hangover and won't raise suspicions.

Training for a sport competition is also believable these days. Or doing some sort of detox diet thingy sometimes works too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Luckily I don't drink all that much so I'm not under pressure in that regard-I'm usually driving.

However I know I have a high BMI but seriously, I have already expanded this time around?! I'm only 6 weeks ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭awny

Luckily I don't drink all that much so I'm not under pressure in that regard-I'm usually driving.

However I know I have a high BMI but seriously, I have already expanded this time around?! I'm only 6 weeks ffs!

Mirror wall I’m just coming up on 8 weeks and I swear I feel like I’ve a belly.. this is my first baby and I’m quite thin so I dunno am I imagining it or not!!

awny wrote: »
    Mirror wall I’m just coming up on 8 weeks and I swear I feel like I’ve a belly.. this is my first baby and I’m quite thin so I dunno am I imagining it or not!!

Bloat or retained water or what, I'm almost a size up already and I'm unimpressed :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Mirrorwall it happens quick!!!I got the maternity trousers out around ten weeks with no.2 and at (ahem) 8/9 weeks with no.3.I don't know what causes such bloating in the first trimester, it's not nice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭clacla82

11 in the club so far!

October due dates are:
    Awny - 2nd
    Lunamoon - 10th
    Mirrorwall14 - 13th
    Panda18 - 14th
    Catrionanic - 18th
    FA12345 - 21st
    Shortie_chik - 21st
    Cash_Q - 21st

Clongal123, greenttc, Cash_Q, clacla82 and awny, if you want to post your due dates I can add you to the list!

So the midwife seemed to think at the ultrasound I was 6 wks 2days which I think gives me the 9th! Still not sure though due to long-ish cycle xx

Also to add, the insomnia is crippling, waking up every night at 2/3/4am for at least 2/3 hours..eventually nod off for an hour but groggy all day then...

I actually don't for the life of me know how people wait for the 12 week scan. I am constantly googling "miscarriage rates by day" and while the stats do seem reassuring, there seems to be a million stories online of people who got a heartbeat and miscarried anyway.... taking it day by day....

I would love to be one of those blissfully unaware people... we saw the heartbeat the other day and I was ecstatic for a few hours then went back to worrying about the next scan in two weeks.

I have also booked the Panorama test in Evie/The Beacon for 9+2 - anyone else getting that done?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

You actually have to cut yourself off from google.I bled early on all of mine which meant constant anxiety, but first time round it was a serious education.I had to basically not allow myself to google anything or read anything because you can literally drive yourself mad and at this point- you have a long way to go, you have no control over it, ans you still have to function in daily life.I mean, I am 30 weeks into my third pregnancy and I have low grade anxiety in the back of my head about stillbirth for the last week(sorry, I am not trying to scare anyone).I am just terrified of it.I am constantly checking movements.But I have to stay away from the internet and headlines or stories I see (and admittedly it's a bit easier because I literally don't have time to be doing that with the other two kids) because it will drive me mad otherwise, I have zero control over any of it and all I can do is keep an eye on the movement.I just think it's an anxious enough time without adding google in, you have to trust your body and if something seems off go straight to the hospital (without googling anything).

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

So, had my early scan yesterday, saw the little flickering heartbeat and all looks well, such a relief although i know the worry will be back in another day or so until I get to 12 weeks! Constant worry but sure that's how we are built I suppose! Definitely very reassuring though particularly when I don't have many symptoms but that is fairly similar to last time although I do think I probably had more stretching pains last time, must be all stretched out already!!!

Proper nausea has kicked in. Not just heartburn induced nausea. Yuk. Eating isn’t working anymore :(

• Advertisement

I know it's lousy mirrorwall, but I'm happy to see you say that all the same :-)

greenttc wrote: »
    So, had my early scan yesterday, saw the little flickering heartbeat and all looks well, such a relief although i know the worry will be back in another day or so until I get to 12 weeks! Constant worry but sure that's how we are built I suppose! Definitely very reassuring though particularly when I don't have many symptoms but that is fairly similar to last time although I do think I probably had more stretching pains last time, must be all stretched out already!!!

That's fantastic greenttc, it really is such a relief, albeit temporarily! The husbands have no clue of the worry with every twinge and trip to the toilet!

Proper nausea has kicked in. Not just heartburn induced nausea. Yuk. Eating isn’t working anymore :(

Yep nausea here too, so many things turn my stomach just thinking of them, nothing is appealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Panda18

greenttc wrote: »

That’s brilliant news! It must have been so exciting to see it :-) are the stretching pains kinda like period pains? Every time I feel it I panic

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

Panda18 wrote: »
    That’s brilliant news! It must have been so exciting to see it :-) are the stretching pains kinda like period pains? Every time I feel it I panic

Yes they were a bit like period pains if I remember correctly, and they can be a little different too, sometimes I got shooting kind if pains too but they were all generally in the same place so it was all obviously my uterus moving and accommodating it's new guest! As I said though I havent really had any of that this time, apart from being really tired I have no indication of being pregnant at all!!

Don't panic panda, although it's much easier said than done. Do try to think of all the twinges and pains as good signs though, that's how I tried to feel. I remember feeling a bit anxious that I had no nausea last time and kind of wished for it a bit but that was so stupid when I look back now!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Received our appointments today for booking appointment and ultrasound at the Coombe, somehow makes it all feel so much more real! I'm still getting pains and cramps but accepted that they're normal now having had them for two weeks and nothing bad has happened. Boobs getting very sore in the evenings and some insomnia last night but I'm so tired now there's no way I won't sleep well tonight! Eating far too much junk too, I've accepted that I won't be losing weight for the next 8 months so while I'm trying to make wise choices I cannot resist chocolate,pizza and too much bread ðŸ˜

Thats super Cash_Q. I had to ring records this evening because there's chickenpox in my toddlers playschool and his best friend has them. How long did it take for you to get them? I am only sending in the forms this week.

Finding tonight a little tough as we have a school event tomorrow that was in late March last year and I quietly warned the other music teacher when we were walking on our own off school grounds that we needed to be careful what show was picked as I may not be there. Obviously I was there. I'd like it to be Thursday now please, I'll be 7 weeks then too and past the date. :(

I had to go to the principal yesterday to ask him to try and reign everyone else in surreptitiously for me from planning next years TYs as everyone is gungho planning and I'm like I can't get into these conversations yet. I'm the MD for the show and the plan was to actually audition the 3rd years this year and place the classes accordingly. Thats limbo for me right now as we can't audition without choosing one and I'm not comfortable choosing one yet (unless its like Grease and easy!), it feels dishonest to the other music teacher who is the director. Plus its going to be a challenging group from the looks of the 3rd year notes. He's happy to tell everyone to hold their horses for the next three weeks until I get a scan. As he said, there's enough going on that he's run off his feet and they aren't top of his list right now. I'm ok with telling the other music teacher at that stage all going well.

I was so calm but its starting to feel real again now with the forward planning being done in school. Like if everything goes right, I'd only be there for like 5 weeks absolute maximum. I'd even miss the First Year Welcome night which is the first big event for the music dept :eek:

Thats super Cash_Q. I had to ring records this evening because there's chickenpox in my toddlers playschool and his best friend has them. How long did it take for you to get them? I am only sending in the forms this week.

I posted my form on Sat 10th of February and appointments came through today. Both for 9am a week apart. I'm a teacher too so I'm hoping that all my appointments will be 9am going forward. I know we're entitled to a full day but it's as hard to plan a days work for a sub as it is to just go in late. I'm in a special school so the kids so better with me coming late than a stranger for the day. That said, I will take a day whenever I need it.

It sounds like your principal is understanding and hopefully things can be kept at bay for the next few weeks. It's very hard when we take on such responsibilities but they will manage with out you. It would be great if you can tell the other music teacher soon, you'll feel more at ease instantly when they know why you're not steaming ahead with the planning right now.

I share my class with the most lovely and supportive sna and I am dying to tell her but haven't even told family yet so it wouldn't feel right to tell her just yet in case word gets out!

Cash_Q wrote: »
    I posted my form on Sat 10th of February and appointments came through today. Both for 9am a week apart. I'm a teacher too so I'm hoping that all my appointments will be 9am going forward. I know we're entitled to a full day but it's as hard to plan a days work for a sub as it is to just go in late. I'm in a special school so the kids so better with me coming late than a stranger for the day. That said, I will take a day whenever I need it.

It sounds like your principal is understanding and hopefully things can be kept at bay for the next few weeks. It's very hard when we take on such responsibilities but they will manage with out you. It would be great if you can tell the other music teacher soon, you'll feel more at ease instantly when they know why you're not steaming ahead with the planning right now.

I share my class with the most lovely and supportive sna and I am dying to tell her but haven't even told family yet so it wouldn't feel right to tell her just yet in case word gets out!

He's lovely to be fair thank God. Yeah I think I'm just not used to quite the level of lying and avoidance I'm currently doing. I'm not a good liar in the first place and this is making me super uncomfortable. Apart from the forward planning for TY and Music everyone on staff cannot understand why my foot is taking so long to heal and keep suggesting things. I can't do anything that was in the plan because of the pregnancy. I'm like, you guys are lovely but seriously back off but obviously they haven't a clue :D. I'd be like you with the SNA, so hard to keep it secret. There only myself and the other music teacher in our dept so similar feeling.

Wow thats fast, I'll try and get mine printed tomorrow and off to them!

Girls I’m also a teacher! I noticed that you’ve already told your principal
    Mirror wall, I was going to hold off telling mine until 12 weeks maybe I should say it? My Principal isn’t the most approachable unfortunately.

Also, there is a major shortage of teachers in my subject.. Maths so I dunno how they will get a replacement for me next year when I’m gone pg.

• Advertisement

Girls I’m also a teacher! I noticed that you’ve already told your principal
    Mirror wall, I was going to hold off telling mine until 12 weeks maybe I should say it? My Principal isn’t the most approachable unfortunately.

Also, there is a major shortage of teachers in my subject.. Maths so I dunno how they will get a replacement for me next year when I’m gone pg.

Ah, three of us? Whats the odds! My other subject is Maths too. I had to get him on board because of the TY scenario and also to explain why my foot is an ongoing saga. He is lovely, very approachable and he knows I miscarried last year so was super nice about it and happy to arrange to shelve things until I'm more confident.

Last time I had mostly maths and I didn't tell them until later. I think it was 10-11 weeks in June and then only because I knew they were designing the timetable and in our school they try to avoid timetabling pregnant teachers for exam classes if their maternity will fall largely within the school year. It was also because there was a maths teacher in on part time hours and I knew he'd try to keep them for the maternity (which he did)

Ah, three of us? Whats the odds! My other subject is Maths too. I had to get him on board because of the TY scenario and also to explain why my foot is an ongoing saga. He is lovely, very approachable and he knows I miscarried last year so was super nice about it and happy to arrange to shelve things until I'm more confident.

Last time I had mostly maths and I didn't tell them until later. I think it was 10-11 weeks in June and then only because I knew they were designing the timetable and in our school they try to avoid timetabling pregnant teachers for exam classes if their maternity will fall largely within the school year. It was also because there was a maths teacher in on part time hours and I knew he'd try to keep them for the maternity (which he did)

Ya I’m due to meet my consultant just before the Easter Hols and if all goes well I’ll tell my principal before we break.

Maths subs are like hens teeth in my area so I think they will put me in learning support or something. I don’t have a second subject and it appears to be impossible to find an all maths teacher to sub!

Ya I’m due to meet my consultant just before the Easter Hols and if all goes well I’ll tell my principal before we break.

Maths subs are like hens teeth in my area so I think they will put me in learning support or something. I don’t have a second subject and it appears to be impossible to find an all maths teacher to sub!

It is. We had a maths teacher on maternity lsat year. There was one guy in until 1st week of October. Then NO ONE for several weeks. Then they got a PME student taking two groups, the VP went back into the classroom for the exam classes. The TYs were just supervised and one other class had an ad hoc arrangement with maths. Finally got an extra maths teacher in December. Disaster

It is. We had a maths teacher on maternity lsat year. There was one guy in until 1st week of October. Then NO ONE for several weeks. Then they got a PME student taking two groups, the VP went back into the classroom for the exam classes. The TYs were just supervised and one other class had an ad hoc arrangement with maths. Finally got an extra maths teacher in December. Disaster

Yep I can see that happening alright. It’d make sense if they took me off mainstream maths but I’m not going to worry too much about it. I’m 8 weeks today but would love to just get to 12 weeks so everything could be out in the open.

Agreed. I thought being back at work would make time go quicker. Instead its just making me more tired and crazy about lying all the time lol

Awny my principal is lovely and very supportive so I was happy to tell her early and in strictest confidence.

As I teach in a special school I am sometimes required to lift one of my students who is very heavy. I also have a student who hits and kicks, and kicked our sna in the stomach a week before I discovered I am pregnant so I am very wary of this. I feel that with the principal knowing this early I can step back a bit without feeling under any scrutiny. I am also conscious that I am not asked to decorate any displays up high or take on extra duties. Most of all I'm conscious of things like chicken pox that I'll be told immediately or any other illnesses I need to be aware of. They legally cannot treat you any lesser when they know so even if your principal is not supportive try not to let that put you off if you want them to know early.

Cash_Q wrote: »
    Awny my principal is lovely and very supportive so I was happy to tell her early and in strictest confidence.

As I teach in a special school I am sometimes required to lift one of my students who is very heavy. I also have a student who hits and kicks, and kicked our sna in the stomach a week before I discovered I am pregnant so I am very wary of this. I feel that with the principal knowing this early I can step back a bit without feeling under any scrutiny. I am also conscious that I am not asked to decorate any displays up high or take on extra duties. Most of all I'm conscious of things like chicken pox that I'll be told immediately or any other illnesses I need to be aware of. They legally cannot treat you any lesser when they know so even if your principal is not supportive try not to let that put you off if you want them to know early.

Very important for you Cash_Q, I'm glad you've said it.

Are you immune? If you have chicken pox running in the locality and aren't sure I'd ask your GP to run the bloods. Thats why I was ringing the coombe today. They're in my toddlers room in playschool and his best friend just broke out today so he's very unlikely to avoid it. My bloods were ran on his pregnancy so my GP recommended trying the Coombe first and if they didn't know to come into the GP and they'd check for me by a blood test

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Panda18

Just got my booking appointment in the door for early April in the Lourdes :)they’re doing a scan the same day. Starting to feel real now, all I want to do is tell everyone!

That's gas you are all teachers! I am self-employed... very flexible but zero maternity leave!

Wondering did any of you get the flu vaccine? Wasn't going to bother as late in the season but a woman was coughing and spluttering next to me at a conference today and it was all I could do not to get up and run off, the fear!

• Advertisement

clacla82 wrote: »
    That's gas you are all teachers! I am self-employed... very flexible but zero maternity leave!

Wondering did any of you get the flu vaccine? Wasn't going to bother as late in the season but a woman was coughing and spluttering next to me at a conference today and it was all I could do not to get up and run off, the fear!

Hi clacla82,

My sis is a doctor and I asked her about the flu vaccine. She said that she’d wait until after 12 weeks in any case but By the time I’m 12 weeks it’ll be gone so she wouldn’t bother with it. Hope that helps!!

Advertisement