Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Racing Coverage

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,625 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

That's a shame. Even Dundalk on a Friday. No more Get in
    Even small donkey derby meetings, which are the bread and butter of racing. Nothing better than local hores on local tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,375 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

This is going to be a nuisance. There is an awful lot of overlapping with races, but at least with ATR and Racing UK both covering a lot of meetings, it meant you could watch both at once, or switch between the one that interested you. With most races now going to Racing UK, it's inevitable that punters will lose out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

They would have to do 2 channels you'd imagine. If they continue with one channel on the really big days you'll have split screens on split screens and less coverage and analysis. The Irish racing coverage on ATR on the big days would be the best for me and is a really big loss.

The Mig wrote: »
    They would have to do 2 channels you'd imagine. If they continue with one channel on the really big days you'll have split screens on split screens and less coverage and analysis. The Irish racing coverage on ATR on the big days would be the best for me and is a really big loss.
    If there's a big race meeting in the UK, and a big one in Ireland, it is of course inevitable that Ireland will lose out.

Stephens Day 2019 be some craic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Pity. Any reasoning behind it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Same reason as for anything I assume €€€€

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Mr321

I'm absoulty gutted and raging about this. ATR comes with the package that most people have with sky/virgin etc basically the majority of Irish/English racing fans/punters. Good coverage from the festivals etc with whoever be it on track or previews/the Irish angle. I would record a lot of the Irish races and watch them when home from work and then the weekends or Dundalk on a Friday night as mentioned above. They wouldn't have to many English races to cover now.
    I for one won't be buying racing uk channel as it is I can't really stand a lot of the presenters/panels that I see host through their twitter.

Its a shame as I'd fear the future now for at the races channel and their fantastic website, this no doubt also effects the website replays rights etc.
    Be a lot of the presenters made redundant to I'd imagine

Awful shame as many here racing UK Chanel as a matter of interest?

Wonder will this deal effect any of the few races that RTE cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭famagusta

This is unbelievable news, putting racing out of reach of the normal punter even more. Terrible decision. I would say 90%of lads on here don't have racing uk. I don't anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

I wonder whether its a casualty of the changes to the commercial media rights for Horse racing in general.

RMG have moved all the rights that Arena had from Turf TV to bookies owned SIS. This kicks in from April. SIS GBI (a channel co owned by ATR and RUK) will cease to exist at the end of the year.

This could result in the end of Turf TV. Turf TV's sister company is Racing UK. Sounds like someone lost the commercial end of their business but gained on the retail end.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭famagusta

i'm in the process of sending an email to AIR, i suggest some of ye do the same if you can, they will ratify the decision next wednesday.

http://www.air.ie/

info@air.ie

famagusta wrote: »
    This is unbelievable news, putting racing out of reach of the normal punter even more. Terrible decision. I would say 90%of lads on here don't have racing uk. I don't anyway.
    Got an email today from RUK about a free 1 month trial. If not cancelled within the month you automatically enter a 12 month sub at €31 a month. Very steep!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,625 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

A big part of any bet is tuning in to see it run. Would not be the same to gamble on something and then just to check the result. That is going backwards, not forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

A big part of any bet is tuning in to see it run. Would not be the same to gamble on something and then just to check the result. That is going backwards, not forward.

All gambling sites allow you to watch a race if you have a bet on it with them. Yes you only get the actual race but its better than nothing or of course the €300 plus a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Never saw the value in RUK or ATR to be honest.

I work Monday to Friday.
    Any race worth watching on a Saturday is on UTV.
    Generally if i want to watch a race I bet online to view or can see the replay within a few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

In twenty years when the question is asked why young people aren’t interested in racing this is the start of it.Racing will get as much mainstream exposure now as showjumping and other sports gone off free tv and easily accessible channels like ATR.
    Very disappointing news €31 a month to much for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭WickIow Brave

Irish racing on Racing UK ffs. This is disgusting. Our ancestors didn't die for this. In all seriousness though this is bad news. Really short sighted from whoever made this decision. RUK can't even be bothered to put Cheltenham races on YouTube now. Money talks I suppose. Disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

What I’d like to know is did/will TV3 go for RTEs media rights of the big meetings here? Was talk they might when they announced they’d be showing the ITV coverage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭WickIow Brave

EICVD wrote: »
    What I’d like to know is did/will TV3 go for RTEs media rights of the big meetings here? Was talk they might when they announced they’d be showing the ITV coverage.

No, an announcement today that RTE will showing Irish racing until 2022 I think. It's up on the Irish Racing website. They'll be showing more racing aswell like the Hatton's Grace meeting which they haven't shown in a few years and also a meeting in Gowran. Doesn't specify but Thyestes Day I presume?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

No, an announcement today that RTE will showing Irish racing until 2022 I think. It's up on the Irish Racing website. They'll be showing more racing aswell like the Hatton's Grace meeting which they haven't shown in a few years and also a meeting in Gowran. Doesn't specify but Thyestes Day I presume?

Cheers for that. Definitely remember them showing the Hattons Grace meeting before & Thystes back in the day, can recall coming in the door from school to see Wylde Hyde win it. Could be Red Mills day too though.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Neighsayer

It's difficult to know what's going to happen here.  Is Irish racing going to be re-branded as UK racing or will they re-brand the channel.  I spend most of my time outside Ireland but through legal means or otherwise I get to watch Sky TV most of the time and ATR is part of the basic variety package. Most places don't have RUK.  I am involved in a number of syndicates and spend around €5,000 a year on my share of training fees and expenses and probably another €2,500/3,000 on buying replacement horses.  I also contribute a bit to Boylesports profits.  I enjoy the live racing coverage, the pre race and post race interviews etc and I think the GOB and the rest of the ATR Irish team are really good.  If I can't get the same level of coverage and that feeling of being at the track I will definitely reconsider my racing spend at least until I'm back in Ireland full time and get to go to the track more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

I laughed at this news, as I could imagine the phone call my oul lad would be making to UPC/Sky/whatever today if he was alive.

That's greed for you anyway.

There's a lot more in this as I said earlier then just the coverage move.
    Obviously its a about money but the bookies also gain here, people will put on a bet to.watch a race now through the online or go into shops and end up betting without intedning
    Take for instance the return of Faugheen this year. Is someone hadn't sky but had online betting accounts they put something on a horse to watch that race no doubt.
    Also your Gary O Brien's, Kieran O Sullivan's and the final podcast all came from ATR and Irish racing.
    The ATR website as I stated earlier also will be effected with no rights to video replays.
    I wouldn't even go onto that Racing UK website as its pure useless so can only imagine what the channel must be like and at prices mentioned earlier for it they can stick it.

This just pushes an already one sides Irish Racing away further from the fans/ punter and into the fat cats hands

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

I says wrote: »
    In twenty years when the question is asked why young people aren’t interested in racing this is the start of it.Racing will get as much mainstream exposure now as showjumping and other sports gone off free tv and easily accessible channels like ATR.
    Very disappointing news €31 a month to much for me.

I don't think many people actually pay the €31 a month; I've had Racing UK since their Black Friday deal a few years back and have never paid more than €12.50 a month for it. They'll keep giving you 4 or 6 months at the reduced price each time you ring to cancel.

That said, with them having the Irish coverage from the start of next year they may be less likely to offer the cut price deals.

Irish racing in glorious HD will be very welcomed; as others have said hopefully they'll add a second channel or some red button type service to avoid split screens on the busier days.

I fully accept that this is very bad news for the majority of older punters who enjoy a recreational bet and watch ATR free in the evenings. Ideally ATR would have held on to the package and offered a HD product.

Emmet Kennedy has a blog now on ATR... Hmm would anyone agree that Kevin Blake seen the break away coming from the Irish races on ATR and will go full time
    With JOP and a bit of Independent Freelancing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

RUK is a horrible channel full of traitors like willoughby and mcnae. Wonder where their t shirts are now. the "save attheraces ones". Watch the rubbish on your android phone for free anyway, cast it to your tv . jobs a good one!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

The encryption of the bookies channels on 4.8E was broken 2 years ago.

They musnt regard it as an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 JJ59

This is a mistake although ATR did not help itself by not going HD. I enjoy both channels and each ahs its weakness and strengths. The current arrangement worked well as they complimented each other. Mind you I'm still waiting for Virgin media to carry RUK HD. Its a bad move however for Irish racing as it will be badly squeezed with all the busy Saturdays in Britain. Also can't see the smaller Irish courses like Ballinrobe and Roscommon for example getting the same amount of coverage. Look at tomorrow with three meetings in Britain. What about covering Galway and Goodwood on one channel or Stephen's day. Finally I can't see how the subscription won't go up.

• Advertisement

JJ59 wrote: »
    This is a mistake although ATR did not help itself by not going HD.
    The lack of HD on ATR is a shocker alright.

Advertisement