Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Racing Coverage

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

STB. wrote: »

According to the HRI/Racecources Assoc, they have been given assurances that it will not receive any less coverage and attenton.

Such utter PR bollox, nothing contractual so.

Bookies will be upping the min stake to watch races next

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Shaney Boy

I go racing a good bit during the winter. The sport is dying on its feet if you look at the profile of those who attend the winter meetings. I know a lot of the regular attendees by name at this stage. My initial interest racing came from watching it on RTE in the old days. We used to get the English racing on the Saturday as part of Sports stadium. Over the years, the profile of the sport has diminished as sport moved off the mainstream television. For god's sake, yesterday's racing was on ITV4. I nearly needed a training course to find it on the Skybox. My interest in Irish racing over the past number of years has been renewed by the extensive coverage on ATR. In fact, following it at home on the television has encouraged me to go racing as I know more about what's going on than I used years ago. I don't know what the monies were but moving to a single channel RUK platform is a retrograde step.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

I agree with the above poster (and welcome to boards.ie).
    I'm in my late 60s. When I was growing up there was about three hours of horse racing on BBC on a Saturday afternoon. And they showed more than just the start of the race as they had to fill the time. I remember vividly seeing Sea-Bird win the English Derby on BBC1 in spectacular style.

Now the Saturday afternoon BBC TV slot is filled with programs about buying antiques, buying houses in the country or abroad, cooking with Mary Berry.
    If horse racing viewing needs special TV packages / subscriptions then the population will know nothing about the sport.

HRI may have got some money for the administration of the sport in Ireland, but the price is too high for the future popularity of horse racing.
    How much would it cost to set up an Irish horse racing TV channell? TG4 did it.
    There is too much grovelling to commercial interests. HRI needs a good shake up.

A horse racing TV channel would not need to be horse racing only.
    We are well known for our sports horses, stud farms, point to point meetings, horse fairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

diomed wrote: »
    A horse racing TV channel would not need to be horse racing only.
    We are well known for our sports horses, stud farms, point to point meetings, horse fairs.

No way could any new station (i) outbid bookie owned SIS for the rights and then (ii) expect to sell the rights back to the same bookies for their shop coverage.

Irish Horse TV for the sport horse only sector was tried online a few years ago and folded in a short time. Horse & Country TV is on the sky platform - its ok for what it is but is run on a shoestring. No way would their ad income cover racing rights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

diomed wrote: »
    HRI needs a good shake up.

That's the main issue I think.
    For example they've taken the decision regarding Racing UK on their without any consultation with a lot of the main stakeholders involved in Irish Horse Racing from what I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    No way could any new station (i) outbid bookie owned SIS for the rights and then (ii) expect to sell the rights back to the same bookies for their shop coverage.

That was never an issue as there is a clear distinction between each set of rights sold.

SIS (Ladbrokes/Coral/WH/betfred) effectively now own the rights to all horse racing to be sold to the bookies. TurfTv previously had some of these rights - 37 tracks worth. What has been a bone of contention is the prohibitive costs for smaller independent bookies of the SIS feeds. I gather some agreement was reached with the independents in the UK. I dont know about here.

The retail rights for private houses have been a casualty of the commercial changes. It would seem that HRI have taken the assurances they have received on the retail end as gospel, whilst also taking a large cheque for same and the new commercial arrangements.

RUK is not as betting focussed as ATR. There are some serious bores on that station too. James Willoughby springs to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Be nice for a few of the papers to give some idea of the sums involved. I saw a figure of €35m bandied around for the RUK deal, which presumably is over 5 years. How does that compare with the ATR deal and what was the counter offer, if any, this time around?

HRI are operating in a landscape where there is real anxiety about the level of state investment. Media rights are utterly critical and the imperative is to have enhanced competition for the various packages which would be compromised if ATR was seen as a slam dunk every time. Nobody complained when the SIS deal was done a few years ago - all the papers wrote positively about it - and the latest saga was just one logical outcome of it. It’s sad on several levels but money will win out every time, that’s the reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,373 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

That is a good article. This quote from it says it all.
    there is always one message the game here manages to send out loud, clear and consistent. And that is that there's no percentage in fans, so why bother.
    Meanwhile following the disappointing news (to them) of no increase in betting tax in the budget HRI continues its campaign to increase betting tax ... and presumably feather their nest.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

ATR to re-brand as Sky Sports Racing from 1st Jan 2019 while also adding racecourses Chester and Bangor.

Channel will be available in HD and for the 1st time will be available on Sky Go devices

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

The Mig wrote: »
    ATR to re-brand as Sky Sports Racing from 1st Jan 2019 while also adding racecourses Chester and Bangor.

Channel will be available in HD and for the 1st time will be available on Sky Go devices

Will most likely be leaving shardcare on January 1st too.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

8 meetings today,the two Irish having great exposure on ATR today it will be six meetings on racing uk next year how is this good for Irish racing again?

RUK assures online coverage of Irish races but television output not guaranteed
    BY RICHARD FORRISTAL 6:44PM 12 SEP 2018
    Racing UK has moved to re-emphasise a live web feed will be available from all 26 Irish racecourses on its online Extra platform when the channel assumes Irish racing's direct-to-home broadcast rights on January 1, 2019.

That’s that then.
    Goodbye Irish racing and attracting new viewers.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Realalemadrid

Why are people so afraid of online. ATR is barely watchable, this won't make a difference to the average punter.
    La Liga
    US Open Tennis
    Irish racing - this is how the world is going.

This will certainly make a difference to the elderly who wouldn’t be adept with technology or might not even have a computer at all. I think of my elderly racing mad father who certainly fits into this boat.

The sports selling out to the online broadcasters don’t give a fck about the older generation anyway, could live to regret it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

Why are people so afraid of online. ATR is barely watchable, this won't make a difference to the average punter.
    La Liga
    US Open Tennis

Most people that watch Irish racing in this country are of a certain vintage. Most dont have Ipads to watch on racing UK app. You are probably in a minority of 1 who thinks ATR is unwatchable. They do a brilliant job covering Irish racing.

Whiplash85 wrote: »
    Most people that watch Irish racing in this country are of a certain vintage. Most dont have Ipads to watch on racing UK app. You are probably in a minority of 1 who thinks ATR is unwatchable. They do a brilliant job covering Irish racing.

Not unwatchable to be fair but the picture quality is very poor and does a disservice to the product they work so hard to promote.

With the advent of firesticks and chromecasts these devices are as easy to work out as a skybox.

Again people should embrace rather than dismiss readily. I agree that it would be better on ATR, but I'm not sure about the impact of this on the general public.

This will certainly make a difference to the elderly who wouldn’t be adept with technology or might not even have a computer at all. I think of my elderly racing mad father who certainly fits into this boat.

The sports selling out to the online broadcasters don’t give a fck about the older generation anyway, could live to regret it too.

The next generation of fans will miss out also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ANDREWMUFC

Online is sh*te. Should be kept on the telly like it always has been

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

see post #75 above
    https://www.racingpost.com/news/latest/ruk-assures-online-coverage-of-irish-races-but-television-output-not-guaranteed/345713

Up to a month ago I was using analogue TV. :o
    Do I now need to pay €31 a month to watch Irish racing (other than RTE)?

Reading between the lines ...
    "action-packed days" pose logistical difficulties ... means what? Not a live feed of the race?
    "We will endeavour to show all races in their entirety" - we will show the last furlong
    "If there are race clashes ... common sense ... will prevail" - just saying again you will watch a replay
    "nearly 90 per cent of all Group and Graded races that are run in Britain and Ireland will now be on the same service" - we own everything. Pay us.

Is it €31 a month to watch some Irish racing?

see post #75 above
    https://www.racingpost.com/news/latest/ruk-assures-online-coverage-of-irish-races-but-television-output-not-guaranteed/345713

Up to a month ago I was using analogue TV. :o
    Do I now need to pay €31 a month to watch Irish racing (other than RTE)?

Reading between the lines ...
    "action-packed days" pose logistical difficulties ... means what? Not a live feed of the race?
    "We will endeavour to show all races in their entirety" - we will show the last furlong
    "If there are race clashes ... common sense ... will prevail" - just saying again you will watch a replay
    "nearly 90 per cent of all Group and Graded races that are run in Britain and Ireland will now be on the same service" - we own everything. Pay us.

Is it €31 a month to watch some Irish racing?

Yes

La Liga
    US Open Tennis

Them online streaming sites are a good minute behind the actual live feed too. Certainly not afraid but the time delay in live pictures would be my issue.
    Moving Irish Racing to a online platform would be disastrous move IMO

Them online streaming sites are a good minute behind the actual live feed too. Certainly not afraid but the time delay in live pictures would be my issue.
    Moving Irish Racing to a online platform would be disastrous move IMO

Thats is not correct - stream will be 5-6 seconds behind MAX - nothing more.

Thats is not correct - stream will be 5-6 seconds behind MAX - nothing more.
    Watching a Barcelona match on Eleven Sports before the international break and I actually tested it by turning on my Livescore notifications for the same match. It was a minute behind the notification from livescore. There was plenty of notifications too as it was 8-2

Watching a Barcelona match on Eleven Sports before the international break and I actually tested it by turning on my Livescore notifications for the same match. It was a minute behind the notification from livescore. There was plenty of notifications too as it was 8-2

There are a multitude of reasons why a stream can lag behind the live feed. From connection speed to device capability etc. I wouldn't accept that from Eleven if you are used to different and it is certainly not the norm. There are plenty sticks to beat the new deal with - this wouldn't be one.

Jaysus I know what can affect a stream.

You are in the tiny minority if you think moving to a online platform is good for Irish racing!

Jaysus I know what can affect a stream.

If you knew that then why did you come on complaining about same as if it will be a fait accompli on the new deal?

Some of the racing - id say less than 10% is moving online on busier days. The apocalypse is not nigh. This is just following a trend the world over.

The Coverage Irish racing gets other sports would kill for. I doubt the movement to RUK will kill any significant interest.

Tracks will move from RUK to ATR in England over the next while I think and within a year or so it will be generally the same coverage.

Its weird but the Down Royal meeting on St. Stephen's Day is never on ATR - they always show it after on a delay - same for the odd other meeting. Never heard anyone moan about that. The instance of this will increase and its not ideal, but I think it will sort itself out in time.

As you say - a minority of one - but the reaction to this is bordering on hysterical.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Even if online streaming is taking off having tv coverage is still very important.

Take for example casual viewers - if I'm going through the Sky Sports channels and see a La Liga match I'll probably watch it to see if it's any use.
    It's online now and there's a very small chance I'll go looking for it.

Irish Racing coverage is being screwed and putting it online is only going to further damage it.

• Advertisement

If you knew that then why did you come on complaining about same as if it will be a fait accompli on the new deal?

Some of the racing - id say less than 10% is moving online on busier days. The apocalypse is not nigh. This is just following a trend the world over.

The Coverage Irish racing gets other sports would kill for. I doubt the movement to RUK will kill any significant interest.

Tracks will move from RUK to ATR in England over the next while I think and within a year or so it will be generally the same coverage.

Its weird but the Down Royal meeting on St. Stephen's Day is never on ATR - they always show it after on a delay - same for the odd other meeting. Never heard anyone moan about that. The instance of this will increase and its not ideal, but I think it will sort itself out in time.

As you say - a minority of one - but the reaction to this is bordering on hysterical.

How many UK meetings aren’t shown on Stephens Day as well? It’s a pretty exceptional day in the racing calendar to be using to bolster an argument.

Advertisement