Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nest Hello Doorbell Install

• 16-03-2018 8:37am
    Subscribers Posts: 16,550 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I’ve been through 3 ring pro doorbells and gave up on them altogether and have been waiting for Nests launch. Unfortunately I wired the house specifically for ring with no chime, just the transformer in fuse box directly to front door.

Now the hello install details are out they ludicrously seem to require a hardwired chime to get an actual doorbell ring. I.e no plugin or wireless chime like the ring system.

Their install details actually say you need the chime to get it to function at all, but I’m guessing this is an error.

There is talk that google home mini can announce who is at the door, but unclear if it will also just chime when someone rings the bell.

Anyone got one on order or given it a go as yet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭micks_address

copacetic wrote: »
    I’ve been through 3 ring pro doorbells and gave up on them altogether and have been waiting for Nests launch. Unfortunately I wired the house specifically for ring with no chime, just the transformer in fuse box directly to front door.

Now the hello install details are out they ludicrously seem to require a hardwired chime to get an actual doorbell ring. I.e no plugin or wireless chime like the ring system.

Their install details actually say you need the chime to get it to function at all, but I’m guessing this is an error.

There is talk that google home mini can announce who is at the door, but unclear if it will also just chime when someone rings the bell.

Anyone got one on order or given it a go as yet?

Are they available to order outside of the US yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭garion

I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on this too. Any potential install issues given its the US version I'd be buying?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,180 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Honest question. Do people still use doorbells?

Only time our Bell gets used is by door to door sales. And we have friends over alot

garion wrote: »
    I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on this too. Any potential install issues given its the US version I'd be buying?

I'd just wonder about the power. Let me know if you do order.. Id like this and the nest sensors that are available for pre order.. Will the nest US store ship to Ireland?

ted1 wrote: »

Only time our Bell gets used is by door to door sales. And we have friends over alot

Honest question.. How do you know they are at the door? I hate when people bang on our front door.. Usually they use the doorbell

• Advertisement

I'd just wonder about the power. Let me know if you do order.. Id like this and the nest sensors that are available for pre order.. Will the nest US store ship to Ireland?

I'm in the US next month so was going to pick one up there. No idea about the power either - any electricians here that could comment?

I'm in the US next month so was going to pick one up there. No idea about the power either - any electricians here that could comment?

Does the doorbell record when someone approaches? I'm assuming yes.. Apparently its a more awkward install than the ring doorbell.. I just like the idea of it being integrated with rest of nest stuff

• Subscribers Posts: 16,550 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

The power doesn’t look to be an issue, just like ring pro needs a bell transformer but that’s all. Runs on low AC voltage. Found a few YouTube’s that seem to show it’s fine without the chime, but you will be relying on google home for knowing someone’s ringing bell if not near phone. It does appear to announce that ‘some one is at door’ if it doesn’t recognize them. The nest actually lights up a different colour to tell you it’s not happy with power. Unlike the ring pro which dies forever!

I am concerned that it won’t properly integrate with google home if outside US though until launched officially here but I’ll probably give it a go also. Have someone going for a month to US next week so will ask them to pick one up.

ted1 wrote: »

Do people just txt and hope you ar near phone? Takeaway delivery, people who visit, normal delivery drivers, postmen, neighbours during snow for help and the usual annoying people too. Funnily enough older people even just call in when osssing rather than texting or ringing. I’d say once or twice a day or so normally. Mostly I want it for extra remote access security though, which is what ring gave me.

The power doesn’t look to be an issue, just like ring pro needs a bell transformer but that’s all. Runs on low AC voltage. Found a few YouTube’s that seem to show it’s fine without the chime, but you will be relying on google home for knowing someone’s ringing bell if not near phone. It does appear to announce that ‘some one is at door’ if it doesn’t recognize them. The nest actually lights up a different colour to tell you it’s not happy with power. Unlike the ring pro which dies forever!

I am concerned that it won’t properly integrate with google home if outside US though until launched officially here but I’ll probably give it a go also. Have someone going for a month to US next week so will ask them to pick one up.

We have a chime.. So should be ok

• Advertisement

Here's the transformer in my fuse box. It doesn't look like it's compatible with the Nest Hello as it's 8V & the support page says it has to between 16V & 24V.

"If your transformer is labeled anywhere from 16 to 24 Volts AC and 10 VA

Your doorbell should be compatible with Nest Hello."

Am I right? What's the solution? A new transformer?

Here's the transformer in my fuse box. It doesn't look like it's compatible with the Nest Hello as it's 8V & the support page says it has to between 16V & 24V.

"If your transformer is labeled anywhere from 16 to 24 Volts AC and 10 VA

Your doorbell should be compatible with Nest Hello."

Am I right? What's the solution? A new transformer?

Something like this for example?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/british-general-8-24v-8-va-bell-transformer-module/8707p

Not sure re the transformer.. I've attached what we have

Not sure re the transformer.. I've attached what we have

Looks like we'd need to change the transformer to

Looks like we'd need to change the transformer to

Ordered this last night using an post address pal.. Not sure if order will go through as had to tick billing address same as shipping address.. Obviously they not.. Charge is pending on my credit card 204 euro.. Order says its processing..

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

The power doesn’t look to be an issue, just like ring pro needs a bell transformer but that’s all.

Correct.
    Here's the transformer in my fuse box. It doesn't look like it's compatible

Correct, yours is not compatible.

The Hello doorbell requires: "14 to 30 V AC as measured by a multimeter, or with a transformer labeled from 16 to 24 V AC".

Here is a suitable 24V transformer. This is designed for DIN rail mounting, in other words it is best installed in your distribution board.

In Ireland we tend to use transformers with an 8V output for doorbells. Transformers with a higher voltage output tend to be larger which of course may mean that you may not have sufficient spare space within your board to accommodate. It is possible to buy a suitable enclosure cheaply enough for the new transformer and get it installed beside the distribution board.
    I’ve been through 3 ring pro doorbells and gave up on them altogether and have been waiting for Nests launch.

Three ?? :eek: That is a lot of money!
    What was the issue?
    Unfortunately I wired the house specifically for ring with no chime, just the transformer in fuse box directly to front door.

I had a quick Google and couldn't find how the chime should be wired. I'm assuming it is fed from the same transformer? If so I wouldn't be worried. Simply mount the chime flush with the edge of the distribution board and all of the wiring you require is there.

https://youtu.be/TwPS46AZy2o

Installation video

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

https://youtu.be/TwPS46AZy2o

Installation video

I found that one, but couldn't find anything showing how the Ring chime was installed.

2011 wrote: »
    I found that one, but couldn't find anything showing how the Ring chime was installed.

There's segment showing it wired into existing chime?

There's segment showing it wired into existing chime?

There is but that is for the Nest doorbell, not the Ring pro doorbell.

• Advertisement

There is but that is for the Nest doorbell, not the Ring pro doorbell.
    Sorry confused as thought you were referring to chime for the nest

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Moreilly

Ordered this last night using an post address pal.. Not sure if order will go through as had to tick billing address same as shipping address.. Obviously they not.. Charge is pending on my credit card 204 euro.. Order says its processing..
    Let us know how you get on , seriously tempted to get a nest hello, wonder if it will be long before it is available in the uk or ireland, if it was going to be a while id just order from the US with addresspal if all went well with delivery and install in ireland....

Moreilly wrote: »
    Let us know how you get on , seriously tempted to get a nest hello, wonder if it will be long before it is available in the uk or ireland, if it was going to be a while id just order from the US with addresspal if all went well with delivery and install in ireland....

Should be summer I'd say. If my order goes through ok should have by end of next week.. I'll try and get electrician to fit.. Should be up and running in two weeks

Correct.

Three ?? :eek: That is a lot of money!
    What was the issue?

I had a quick Google and couldn't find how the chime should be wired. I'm assuming it is fed from the same transformer? If so I wouldn't be worried. Simply mount the chime flush with the edge of the distribution board and all of the wiring you require is there.

In fairness they send replacements, which die really easily. The pro appears to be very easy to brick.

The ring doesn’t have an option for hardwired chime, only their plug in wireless one. Althoughof course you can use a normal wired chime. Which is what the nest unit needs to act as a normal doorbell.

I do have the bell transformer as final Din but I have a nice need flush fitted box and really don’t want to add a chime. Which would be in utility then also.

Transaction has gone through on my credit card so must be on its way. The nest store is useless at tracking orders. Still shows my iq camera order as processing even though it was delivered Friday.

Address pal should have in next day or so then depends on how long it takes to get across the Atlantic.. Might be custom fees to. Not sure..

Transaction has gone through on my credit card so must be on its way. The nest store is useless at tracking orders. Still shows my iq camera order as processing even though it was delivered Friday.

Address pal should have in next day or so then depends on how long it takes to get across the Atlantic.. Might be custom fees to. Not sure..

Shipping email from nest.. So its on its way

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭corvus4906

I was thinking i'd be interested in getting one of these when they're available here... initially I was thinking to get a nest camera for security as there's been some break-ins recently in my area

The doorbell that records video too and is similar price to the camera itself seems a no-brainer.

...but i had a thought....

What if a burglar just opens the cable box on the sides of houses and cuts the optical fibre the internet relies on. All cameras/doorbells would just rendered useless then?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

corvus4906 wrote: »
    ...but i had a thought....

What if a burglar just opens the cable box on the sides of houses and cuts the optical fibre the internet relies on. All cameras/doorbells would just rendered useless then?

Have a camera covering the cable box or the path up to it at the side of your house?

The idea being that the camera should capture someone coming onto your property and notify you of it and send you video. If you then get an offline notification due to lost internet, then you know what's up and call the Gardai.

The idea of most of these CCTV cameras systems is:

1) Deter casual thieves who see the camera and decide to try somewhere else.
    2) To confirm quickly a break in by a more determined thief and call the Gardai so they can catch them in the act.

You could of course also have a CCTV system where you have a NVR in the house to record the video to. But the problem with that is a determined thief might steal/smash that too and anyway most thieves these days wear baseball hats/hoodies to hide their face.

Your best bet IMO is IP cameras that detect motion while you are away and send you notifications and video of motion detected.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

bk wrote:
    You could of course also have a CCTV system where you have a NVR in the house to record the video to. But the problem with that is a determined thief might steal/smash that too and anyway most thieves these days wear baseball hats/hoodies to hide their face.

I've this, and nest cameras

I've the ring doorbell. It's a basic doorbell too so doesn't need an internet connection if you have a traditional doorbell.

The ring wifi chime won't though.

Also I'm getting rid of the ring doorbell and getting nest hello too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Mad Benny

Stoner wrote: »
    I've this, and nest cameras

I've the ring doorbell. It's a basic doorbell too so doesn't need an internet connection if you have a traditional doorbell.

The ring wifi chime won't though.

Also I'm getting rid of the ring doorbell and getting nest hello too.

Stoner, why are you switching Ring for a Nest hello?

Advertisement