Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nest Hello Doorbell Install

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭RunDMC

Any issues with the chimes and the 24v transformer?

R

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭micks_address

RunDMC wrote: »
    Any issues with the chimes and the 24v transformer?

R

None yet..

Thanks,
    Just had the nest hello installed. Pretty straight forward. The only slightly odd thing is if you ring the doorbell our indoor chime sounds and it's announced on Google home that someone is at the door. I get the notification on the app straight away someone is at the door but if you press the bell straight away again the door chime doesn't ring. There is about a 20 second delay before pressing the button will sound the chime. Maybe this is by design? It will stop those people ringing and ringing the bell over and over.

Indoor chime now working on every bell press. Maybe needed a firmware update.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,550 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Great to hear it’s gone well, I’m still waiting on mine via address pal. They ‘delivered’ Monday when I was sitting in the house, then it’s back at postal depot. Then it’s at another depot and tracking never updates. The dont answer phone or emails. No delivery note either, can’t find it in depot, etc etc. then it turns out it’s because it’s owing customs, then they can’t take payment! Would stear clear off them if at all possible.

copacetic wrote: »
    Great to hear it’s gone well, I’m still waiting on mine via address pal. They ‘delivered’ Monday when I was sitting in the house, then it’s back at postal depot. Then it’s at another depot and tracking never updates. The dont answer phone or emails. No delivery note either, can’t find it in depot, etc etc. then it turns out it’s because it’s owing customs, then they can’t take payment! Would stear clear off them if at all possible.

Yes I think I was just lucky to be honest. Did addresspal ask you to email the nest invoice to them? I did. I'm waiting on nest temp sensors and could well be hit on the double I reckon..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

Thanks,
    Just had the nest hello installed. Pretty straight forward. The only slightly odd thing is if you ring the doorbell our indoor chime sounds and it's announced on Google home that someone is at the door. I get the notification on the app straight away someone is at the door but if you press the bell straight away again the door chime doesn't ring. There is about a 20 second delay before pressing the button will sound the chime. Maybe this is by design? It will stop those people ringing and ringing the bell over and over.

How did you get the google home integration working? My phone keeps telling me google assistant isn’t available on the Irish AppStore.

cance wrote: »
    How did you get the google home integration working? My phone keeps telling me google assistant isn’t available on the Irish AppStore.

The nest app asked me if I wanted to enable Google home announcements so I said yes. Think my language set to US

The nest app asked me if I wanted to enable Google home announcements so I said yes. Think my language set to US

Pic of nest app settings...

Pic of nest app settings...

Quick question, for video doorbells like nest which are recoding continuously do you legally need a sign saying CCTV in operation?
    Thanks,
    Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭garion

@Mick, where did you pick up that Elmark transformer? Need to pick one up and if yours works I'll get the same!

Delighted to hear it's all working as it should! Thanks for all the updates!

• Advertisement

garion wrote: »
    @Mick, where did you pick up that Elmark transformer? Need to pick one up and if yours works I'll get the same!

Delighted to hear it's all working as it should! Thanks for all the updates!

Hi I actually ordered and used this in the end.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PSS10-Transformer-safety-230VAC-Mounting/dp/B01MDJWFB7/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1522838061&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=24v+bell+transformer+10VA

It was a bit more expensive but works perfect.
    Thanks,
    Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Quick question, for video doorbells like nest which are recoding continuously do you legally need a sign saying CCTV in operation?
    Thanks,
    Mick

I don’t think so as it is on private property but I stand to be corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭OU812

Thanks,
    Mick
    I don’t think so as it is on private property but I stand to be corrected.

Domestic use of CCTV systems.
    The processing of personal data kept by an individual and concerned solely with the management of his/her personal, family or household affairs or kept by an individual for recreational purposes is exempt from the provisions of the Acts. This exemption would generally apply to the use of CCTVs in a domestic environment. However, the exemption may not apply if the occupant works from home. [ Where the exemption does apply, a person who objects to the use of a CCTV system - for example, a neighbour who objects to images of her/his property being recorded - may be able to take a civil legal action based on the Constitutional and Common Law right to privacy.] It should be noted that recording of a public space, even partially, or when recording is directed outwards from the private setting, it may not be regarded as a ‘personal or household’ activity for the purposes of the Data Protection Acts, and this may have immediate and particular interest to drone operators and data controllers.

Reference: ECJ Ruling on household exemption C-212/13 - Ryneš

https://www.dataprotection.ie/docs/Data-Protection-CCTV/m/242.htm

OU812 wrote: »
    Domestic use of CCTV systems.
    The processing of personal data kept by an individual and concerned solely with the management of his/her personal, family or household affairs or kept by an individual for recreational purposes is exempt from the provisions of the Acts. This exemption would generally apply to the use of CCTVs in a domestic environment. However, the exemption may not apply if the occupant works from home. [ Where the exemption does apply, a person who objects to the use of a CCTV system - for example, a neighbour who objects to images of her/his property being recorded - may be able to take a civil legal action based on the Constitutional and Common Law right to privacy.] It should be noted that recording of a public space, even partially, or when recording is directed outwards from the private setting, it may not be regarded as a ‘personal or household’ activity for the purposes of the Data Protection Acts, and this may have immediate and particular interest to drone operators and data controllers.

Reference: ECJ Ruling on household exemption C-212/13 - Ryneš

https://www.dataprotection.ie/docs/Data-Protection-CCTV/m/242.htm

How should that be interpreted?
    Thanks,
    Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭OU812

The way I read it is that unless you use your home as a workspace, you are exempt from the data protection regulations. However, if you are recording public property (outside of your boundaries) it may be interpreted in a legal case that DPR does apply. Also, your neighbours may have a legitimate concern & reason to complain legally. #notalawyer.

To be honest, I think the law is out of date where these devices are concerned. Particularly ones that record all the time rather than motion or trigger activated ones

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Anyone managed to purchase the nest aware service for this camera. I have a few cameras on an Irish account but it comes up with errors when I try to get a subscription for my nest doorbell.

EDIT - SOLUTION

I tried again and added my revolut card. It took it then.

dingding wrote: »
    Anyone managed to purchase the nest aware service for this camera. I have a few cameras on an Irish account but it comes up with errors when I try to get a subscription for my nest doorbell.

On 30 day trial.. I had assumed would pop onto subscription when it ends

On 30 day trial.. I had assumed would pop onto subscription when it ends

Not automatically, you have to sign up for it. It does not come into play until the trial ends.

This is the transformer I used.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00K1CWEUG Replacing an 8V transformer. I installed the Nest connectors on the bell as per the instructions but had to mount them outside the bell.

I also set the bell up as an electronic bell with a 2 sec delay.

It works well with my old door bell, which was like this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0001NPZ0G

When I chedk on the phone app it gives the voltage as 23.1 Volts under the technical info at the bottom of the settings. The battery voltage is 4.08 Volts.

I managed to get mine working with the original transformer and all the original wiring. The settings area in the app says 8 volts, but it appears to be working just fine.

I got stung for the VAT which was inevitable, but An Post also charged a €10 processing fee, which is ridiculous.

R

• Advertisement

I managed to get mine working with the original transformer and all the original wiring. The settings area in the app says 8 volts, but it appears to be working just fine.

I got stung for the VAT which was inevitable, but An Post also charged a €10 processing fee, which is ridiculous.

R
    Thanks I thought I noticed with my old transformer the bell lit up blue which meant it was getting enough power. I went ahead with a new transformer anyway. Do you mind me asking how much customs was? I was lucky enough to miss it.
    Cheers,
    Mick

R

Mine seemed to work with the 8V however sometimes it dropped off the network. It is more solid with the 24V transformer.

It also dropped off the network sometimes after the bell was pressed.

I have noticed that it drops off the network from time to time and the video can be glitchy when the doorbell rings, but I assumed that it could also be my phone. I have the transformer so I will fit it at the weekend. I was just a little worried about burning out the wires with the higher voltage.

R

You wont burn out the wires, the opposite in fact, the higher the voltage, the lower the current and it is current that causes heat as it passes through the cable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭ Aleena Loose Banker

I'm getting the house rewired as part of a larger job and want to get one of these as part of it.

So all I need to order is the Nest Hello itself and one of these and give it to the electrician and thats it, it'll work here fine?

I know as soon as I order, they'll release our regions one... :o

I'm getting the house rewired as part of a larger job and want to get one of these as part of it.

So all I need to order is the Nest Hello itself and one of these and give it to the electrician and thats it, it'll work here fine?

I know as soon as I order, they'll release our regions one... :o

you also need the part of the doorbell that makes a noise.

i.e the bell or chime part.

you also need the part of the doorbell that makes a noise.

i.e the bell or chime part.

You'll need a 24 volt transformer and wired doorbell and door chime..

Not automatically, you have to sign up for it. It does not come into play until the trial ends.

Have you been able to add a nest aware subscription to it?

Yes, I had to change to my revolut card and it let me add it.

When I go into the camera it now tells me that the subscription commences when the trail ends.

Like others have said, there is a delay between a ring on the bell and the phone notification / google home notification.

• Advertisement

Yes, I had to change to my revolut card and it let me add it.

When I go into the camera it now tells me that the subscription commences when the trail ends.

Like others have said, there is a delay between a ring on the bell and the phone notification / google home notification.

Not much of a delay for me. So your revolut card has a US address?

Advertisement