Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aladdin- Live Action 2019 - Guy Ritchie

• 24-04-2018 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60,270 ✭✭✭✭

‘Aladdin’ Teased at CinemaCon, Will Smith Won’t Imitate Robin Williams
    Will Smith will put his own stamp on the Genie, Disney executives promised at CinemaCon on Tuesday while unveiling a behind-the-scenes look at its live-action remake of “Aladdin.”

Instead of imitating Robin Williams’ rapid-fire improv and celebrity impressions, Smith will inject the magical wish-granter with a little bit of the Fresh Prince and a little bit of Hitch. He also, as the footage shown Tuesday demonstrates, does not make a terribly convincing woman when dressing in drag.

Smith’s spin on the Genie isn’t the only big change in this “Aladdin.” Director Guy Ritchie, best-known for testosterone-infused flicks such as “Sherlock Holmes” and “Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels,” is leaning into the action sequences.

“He’s able to make it hot,” said Smith in an on-camera interview. And, indeed, the footage showed a kinetic camera following Aladdin (Mena Massoud) running, jumping, and leaping across the rooftops and through the tangled alleyways of Agrabah as he evades the Sultan’s men.

“Aladdin” will also get a feminist makeover. Princess Jasmine, who in the 1992 animated film, had little to do save for moon about the palace, is made of tougher stuff in this version. Naomi Scott, who plays the role in the live-action version, said that in the remake “Jasmine is strong and speaks her own mind.”.

Aladdin” will also feature new music, lots of dancing and pageantry, and familiar favorites such as “Friend Like Me” and “A Whole New World.”

Disney received a rapturous reception when it took the stage at CinemaCon, the annual exhibition industry trade show taking place this week in Las Vegas. The studio has released a dozen movies that have grossed in excess of $1 billion over the past six years, and has several promising upcoming blockbusters on its slate, such as “Solo: A Star Wars Story” and “Avengers: Infinity War.” It’s not just money that’s made Disney a favorite of theater owners. The studio is adamantly opposed to plans to release movies in the home weeks after their big screen debuts — an initiative that rivals such as Warner Bros. and Universal support.

“The Walt Disney Company is committed to the theatrical window. Period,” said Alan Horn, the studio’s chief, to sustained applause.

http://variety.com/2018/film/news/aladdin-will-smith-robin-williams-1202785237/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Guy Ritchie.....Aladdin..

Hand over the fucking lamp you fucking mug

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

nix wrote: »
    Guy Ritchie.....Aladdin..

Hand over the fucking lamp you fucking mug

Said by Iago voiced by Jason Statham

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Lest we forget king arthur

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Special guest star - Harry Kane!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Try_harder wrote: »
    Special guest star - Harry Kane!
    Given the cultural context, surely mo Salah or mo Farah? Lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,270 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Teaser

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Kooto1982

Aladdin: I am childhood fan of his.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,270 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

m4rweqh4ilmugcxvbjcc.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Man, Disney's tactic of remaking their 90s classics in live-action is as transparent as it is cynical. Suppose until they stop making money, they'll keep doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭kerplun k

They struck gold with this idea.
    Cinderella, Beauty and the Beast and Jungle Book collectively pulled in just under 3 billion,

I think with Dumbo, Aladdin and Lion king all due to be released next year, they will at least triple that money. The Lion King is forecasting crazy money, I’m taking Star Wars money. They’re practically printing money at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,073 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Robin Williams will always be the genie now and forever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

I have zero faith in Guy Ritchie so have low expectations of this as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,788 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Looks more like a Disney tv channel film more than an expected big box office hitter

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭OU812

Robin Williams will always be the genie now and forever

They should have had a 100% CGI genie with Robin Williams dialogue from the animation. I'd have gone to see that.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭El Duda

This looks unspeakably awful.

That cast is appalling.

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Given the cultural context, surely mo Salah or mo Farah? Lol

Richie would Asian up Kane

El Duda wrote: »
    This looks unspeakably awful.

That cast is appalling.

Were you expecting any different? King Arthur....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,946 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I had (have) no intention of seeing this. Love the original and do not like Disney's "Live actioning" of their movies. (Seriously? "Live action" Lion King? It's still going to have 100% animated characters and 80% augmented real cinematography. But anyway, I digress)

But that group shot just looks......... awful. Looks like a Christmas special panto.

I know it's a generic photoshop but Jebus....

Aladdin-2019-cast-Will-Smith-1653142.jpg?r=1545257950979

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Guy Ritchie is a weird choice for Disney; if you look at his CV, ignoring the Bloke'sploitation stuff from his early years, there aren't that many mainstream hits. The Sherlock Holmes' films took in a tonne of cash, but King Arthur was a flop & The Man from UNCLE was fun but underperformed.

I guess ultimately he's just a good "yes man" director.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Guy Ritchie is a weird choice for Disney; if you look at his CV, ignoring the Bloke'sploitation stuff from his early years, there aren't that many mainstream hits. The Sherlock Holmes' films took in a tonne of cash, but King Arthur was a flop & The Man from UNCLE was fun but underperformed.

I guess ultimately he's just a good "yes man" director.

Yeah, while he has a particular style (That has aged SO badly) in situations like this Disney are just looking for someone who can manage a movieshoot. It will be completely generic - probably sticking quite closely to the original as possible. Basically just a job really. The new Brett Ratner...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭El Duda

Aladdin looks like he's in his mid thirties, he's supposed to be boy.

There's no way Jasmine can be a damsel in distress either, she will be all action, kicking the **** out of Jaffar's goons etc... Aladdin will be much more pathetic in this film.

Will Smith make my blood boil.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Finally, we get the Kazaam remake we've been waiting for.

I remember people were suggesting WWE's Mustafa Ali as Aladdin.

Only live action "retelling" I've see so far is Maleficent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

El Duda wrote: »

Will Smith make my blood boil.

haha YES!

I've seen all of Michael Manns movies.. Except Ali, i tried but i just cant sit through the movie, and thats just because of Will Smith, I can't stand the chap anymore.. And i cant seem to put a finger on why exactly :confused::(:pac:

Perhaps its because his on screen presence is always the same, OTT, predictably boring. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭OU812

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Only live action "retelling" I've see so far is Maleficent.

They were supposed to tell the story from the other side with the live action ones. Would have been a better idea than the live action remakes, (although I am looking forward to Dumbo)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

m4rweqh4ilmugcxvbjcc.jpg

Aladdin's clothes look way to clean and well made to be a street urchin's. Even his shoes don't look worn in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Will Smith is channeling Sinbad from the looks of it. The comedian/actor not the movie for those that don't get the reference

Aladdin's clothes look way to clean and well made to be a street urchin's. Even his shoes don't look worn in.

That's it!!!!
    I was wondering what was bugging me.

It's too sterile and clean. Aladdin should be filthy and the Genie looks too "normal" and with panto level costume

In that coverphoto:

Aladdin looks to be in his 30's.
    Jasmine looks bored, not feisty.
    Will Smith looks dead inside.....("How did my career come to this?")

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I've enjoyed the others but this looks god awful

and as someone else pointed out no one will ever get next to near Robin Williams as the Genie

Advertisement