Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aladdin- Live Action 2019 - Guy Ritchie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

and as someone else pointed out no one will ever get next to near Robin Williams as the Genie
    How about Dan Castellaneta?

How about Dan Castellaneta?

Then you have too close (did he not do the Genie in Aladdin 2?)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,073 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

He did the film and cartoon series and the voice of genie in loads of video games including Kingdom Hearts ( learn something new every day)

I love him not for Homer Simpson but Earthworm Jim the original series he is an absolute hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Will Smith is in the same bracket as Johnny Depp for me. Any film he's in I avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,786 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Was watching Arabian Nights yesterday where Jason Scott Lee played Aladdin, Vanessa Mae was that version of Jasmine and John Leguizamo as the Genie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭kerplun k

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Was watching Arabian Nights yesterday where Jason Scott Lee played Aladdin, Vanessa Mae was that version of Jasmine and John Leguizamo as the Genie

Sounds like a bad dream :D

• Registered Users Posts: 55,446 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Mr E wrote: »

Will just blue himself

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That looks bad, but then these live-action renames of 90s films are making a killing so doesn't really matter what folks like me think :D

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭El Duda

That is woeful

• Advertisement

That Jafar doesn't seem scary at all

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

oh dear

You ain't ever had a flop like me

(yes I am stating now for the jury this will be worse than King Arter)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭p to the e

That Jafar doesn't seem scary at all

It's like the casting of Hitler in "The Producers".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭mathie

Did Smith just do BlueFace?

#SmurfMeToo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Short, so hard to know what to think of it. I imagine the two Jafar outside of the cave entrance scenes are spliced together. Otherwise it's not going to be that much of a shock to Aladdin that Jafar is the bad guy :/

Edit: My enthusiasm for these live-action remakes has gone though. Beauty & the Beast and Jungle Book were grand but didn't add anything and it wasn't a trip down memory lane. And now we've this (and I loved Robin Williams and everything about the original), Lion King and Dumbo coming in quick succession too. Then again, I don't think I'm the target market - I am not a child, nor do I have one.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Will Smith looks awful, still at least its not Kevin Hart.

Jafar sounds awful, still at least its not ... eh ... the bird guy from The Mummy series.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Jaysus !
    What a bigoted racist Will Smith is !!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I assume this will have to be delayed so they can totally re-do the genie. The Jungle Book was not a good movie, but it at least looked well-made with good voice acting, CGI animation etc. This looks sh*t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭RFOLEY1990

nix wrote: »
    Guy Ritchie.....Aladdin..

Hand over the fucking lamp you fucking mug

"Why do they call him the Genie?"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I am still getting over that this was a real trailer and not a SNL parody with Will Smith doing a turn.

They really are trying to capture lightening in a lamp bottle twice with making the genie a wisecracking scene-stealer....

It worked before because of Robin Williams (and because it was animation), and dropping Will Smith into this awful CG avatar is surely not going to end well.

Considering that Williams broke the animators hearts by constantly going completely off script and doing improv scenes, how do they think they can recreate that?

Hell they may as well done motion capture on Williams, as the animators ended up using film from his takes to draw geinie.

They should never have made Genie be the centre of any remake, it's a complete hiding to nothing. Smith is an entertainer and full of charm but no one is Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 84,825 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,081 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Think it was in the Lion King thread I mentioned how a big problem with the Disney live action remakes is how they abandon the rich, vibrant aesthetic of the original animated films for a bland photo realism and CG overkill that lacks character.

This is a much more literal adaptation by the looks of it - but that genie will teach me to be careful what I wish for :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Dades wrote: »
    I am still getting over that this was a real trailer and not a SNL parody with Will Smith doing a turn.

They really are trying to capture lightening in a lamp bottle twice with making the genie a wisecracking scene-stealer....

It worked before because of Robin Williams (and because it was animation), and dropping Will Smith into this awful CG avatar is surely not going to end well.

It actually would have been a decent role for Terry Crews, the dude is stacked but seems to be scene stealing without going over the top.

I guess they needed the hook of the big name though to draw those on the fence in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Think it was in the Lion King thread I mentioned how a big problem with the Disney live action remakes is how they abandon the rich, vibrant aesthetic of the original animated films for a bland photo realism and CG overkill that lacks character.

This is a much more literal adaptation by the looks of it - but that genie will teach me to be careful what I wish for :pac:

+1 I mean it's obvious what the 'creative' decision here truly is - pinch the pockets of the 90s kids now grown up and feeling nostalgic (Dumbo being the exception here) - but to do so via what so far looks to be a bland shoulder shrug of aesthetic design just highlights the laziness of the entire enterprise.

Disney are really going for broke with these sequels and remakes of classics: one'd wonder if they run the risk of oversaturating their own market.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

razorblunt wrote: »
    I guess they needed the hook of the big name though to draw those on the fence in.
    That's potentially their big mistake, though. They went with essentially unknowns with some (on the surface) ethnic nods to the setting for most of the casting, and then dropped Big Willy into the mix. If the trailer seems anything to go by it's horribly jarring and pulls you right out of ancient [Asia] and into Bel Air.

I agree someone not stellar, like Terry Crews might have been a more subtle choice. Or even better someone actually from whatever part of the world they've set it.

Of course maybe WS will be picking up an Oscar for this next year. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Dades wrote: »
    If the trailer seems anything to go by it's horribly jarring and pulls you right out of ancient [Asia] and into Bel Air.

Funny you should say that but that was always my problem with the 90's Disney's Aladdin too.

You had this wonderful setting in an ancient Arabian city and everything feels, looks, and sounds of that time and place... and then Robbin Williams' genie pops up making jokes about cars, doing showbiz impressions, and generally dragging us right back to the 20th century American pop culture.

Have always thought the film – and the genie in particular – was a bit overrated as a result to be honest.

I guess they felt they needed that modern pop-culture hook, and I guess they still feel that way. *shrug*

• Registered Users Posts: 6 lizzyjam

I think it'll be awesome movie!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,274 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

They should have done this as part of a One Thousand and One Nights series of films and not done a live action Aladdin.

Advertisement