Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Testament1 wrote: »
    An Klondike was a great original TG4 mini series. Story of 2 Irish brothers trying to find their fortune in the Klondike Gold Rush of the late 1800s and the perils of a lawless frontier town. Filmed in Galway and featuring a mix of Irish and English language. More of that kinda work would absolutely justify their budget.

I actually should try watch An Klondike, I ****ing love gold rush era stuff.
    Funnily enough the ads played in crystal clear uninterrupted high definition though.....

Which begs the question WHY ARE THERE ****ING ADS ON THE PLAYER? Isn't this what the license is meant to pay for, most other services have ads for free viewers only so just make it PPV or sub based already! But then they would see nobody pick it up so they have to try scam older people in subbing to it even if they dont know how to access it.

They can just sell more time to advertisers and leave us the fcuk alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

kneemos wrote: »
    2FM lost us nearly thirty million between 2009 and 2015.
    Not sure what public service this station provides. Generic type pop music is at everyone's fingertips if they want it.https://www.boards.ie/

If 2FM is loss making, it needs to be radically reformed or sold off. I can see absolutely no public service value in it whatsoever. It's a pop-driven music station and should not be undermining commercial outfits doing the same thing, and using tax payers' money to do so.

I am all in favour of proper public service broadcasting, but I would like to see the vast majority of the income at RTE being spent, wisely, on good PSB programming on TV and radio.

The licence fee paying public should be getting maximum value for money out of this organisation. It's not meant to be attempting to compete with commercial TV and radio.

Also, I think the BBC's spending is disgraceful across a whole range of areas. it's not a model to follow in terms of how to manage. It seems to spend all its time chasing celebs these days and paying astronomical salaries to compete with ITV and Sky for some inexplicable reason, as it is non-commercial.

It shouldn't matter a damn to BBC 1, 2, 3 and BBC radio whether it's making a huge dent in the ratings or not. That isn't the role of a non-commercial public service broadcaster (PSB).

The Beeb used to be outstanding. Nowadays it seems to spend endless amounts of time on big names, stupid reality tv shows and public service broadcasting like Cash in the Attic.

It's not 1970 and RTE is not the only show in town (nor is BBC). It should be doing genuine public service broadcasting, where it can excel and meet needs that cannot be met commercially. Instead, it is still stuck in this notion that it's the only broadcaster in Ireland and that it has to do all of this bland programming.

The focus should be on news/current affairs, strong documentary making, education / information and entertainment that is not focused on crass commercial stuff. TV3 and others should be left to do that stuff on a purely commercial basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

I am surprised that a club like Real Madrid or Barcelona has not migrated all their domestic games to their own TV channels/Networks and started charging fans for a season ticket. These are now global brands that could make a fortune directly if they did so.

That is the future of Sports as well I think.

They haven't done this because they don't own the rights to their games, La Liga owns them. Barcelona and Madrid play in their league after all.

The money flows like this: TV companies ----> La Liga
    > football clubs.

If we are to see a streaming service in football, it would have to be organized by the individual football associations, but that would only give us domestic league games. Continental competition, like the Champions League, fall under UEFA's jurisdiction so we'd still have to watch them on TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

I think everyone should refuse to pay. Let them chase us all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Does any tv station, or country for that matter, deserve tubridy and darcy and miriam bloody o callaghan and the rest.
    I watch only boxsets and the occasional thing on netflix and i pay the t.v. licence. Id prefer not to, it galls me, but the thought of paying a fine galls me even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

Any organisation that employs Lottie Ryan has too much money.

If I was in dire need of a blood transfusion and saw her come through the door I'd tell her to **** off.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

JohnMc1 wrote:
    Vince started the WWE Network to get rid of the Cable companies taking their share of the PPV income. Why pay $60+ for a PPV when you can watch it for free as part of the WWE Network service that only costs $9.99 a month? It starting the death knell of normal Cable packages was an added bonus. Now the major sports leagues have their own streaming services [aka.MLB,NFL,NBA,NHL,etc] where for a flat yearly fee you can watch all the games you want.

The major sports leagues had it before WWE Network though. In some cases long before it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

I’m considering challenging payment. Explain to them that due to a terminal illness, I have very little money (very true) but don’t qualify for an exemption (also true). Just tell them “I’m not paying” and dare them to take me to court or fine me. It might be amusing to go to court over it and I’ve very little to lose. :P If the Lockerbie bomber can be released from prison on compassionate grounds...

Of course, I won’t actually go through with it but it’s fun to daydream. In my head, it’s a courtroom drama. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

grahambo wrote: »

No one outside of Ireland know's who Tubb's is.

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Surely the Kennedy's know who he is?

• Advertisement

grahambo wrote: »
    Ryan Tubridy - €500,000 per year is the biggest Joke of all

Let's not forget his production company also gets paid by RTE Tuttle Productions
    As does Joe Duffy's production company Claddaghgreen Ltd and as did Pat Kenny's production comapny - Pat Kenny Media Services Limited

• Registered Users Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Grayson wrote: »
    I don't own a radio and only use my TV for my chromecast and xbox. I don't use a single service that they provide.

I'm the same, I have no tv subscription no freeview. I pay for Netflix, stream the odd match. Not a hope in hell would I pay a cent for the tv licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Cienciano wrote: »
    I'm the same, I have no tv subscription no freeview. I pay for Netflix, stream the odd match. Not a hope in hell would I pay a cent for the tv licence.

Ditto.

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    Ditto.

ditto ditto

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

Why does RTE need 1 orchestra, let alone 2?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

titan18 wrote: »
    The major sports leagues had it before WWE Network though. In some cases long before it.

Didn't mean to insinuate that. I meant that with all of the major sports leagues having their own streaming services its going to put cable companies [and their high priced sports packages] under. This is why ESPN is also in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Nixonbot wrote: »
    That's not even considering pensions, perks etc. I'd say it's considerably more than that!

Ryan Tubridy is not an employee, he is a contractor, so no sick pay / pensions, etc.

Same goes for most presenters.

The top paid employee is Sean O'Rourke on 200k, AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I didn't know we had 2 orchestras but I like the idea of having state orchestras, but maybe it should be paid for via the Dept of Arts Culture and Gaeltacht and not through licence money.

This is a proposal, let RTE keep one, and let the other be based at the NCH.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭mojesius

They need to do more stuff like 'ireland's deep atlantic' and less shoite. I caught 5 minutes of a show the other evening where they had healthy eating experts putting chefs against each other to make their dishes healthier. It was utter crap. Many people can't afford to eat in these chefs' establishments to begin with, we don't need to know how they made their crab brulee starter more 'nutriotionally balanced'. The producers are completely out of touch with reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Fun fact No.1 The two RTE Orchestras cost 12 million a year to run
    Fun fact No.2 RTE dropped the Premier League highlights which were watched by 300,000 people on Saturdays. The cost of the highlights was 500,000 a year.
    Fun fact No.3 Channel 4 produces award winning documentaries and has a staff of 200. RTE does not and has a staff of 2,000

Proof, if even needed, that RTE exists only to serve its overbloated staff numbers and salaries and not the public who pay the license. Pony up and quit yer moaning people !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,407 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Fun fact No.2 RTE dropped the Premier League highlights which were watched by 300,000 people on Saturdays. The cost of the highlights was 500,000 a year.
    Fun fact No.3 Channel 4 produces award winning documentaries and has a staff of 200. RTE does not and has a staff of 2,000

Proof, if even needed, that RTE exists only to serve its overbloated staff numbers and salaries and not the public who pay the license. Pony up and quit yer moaning people !

2000 is a reduced number. They had 300 redundancies last year.

How in the name of everything holy can they justify that level of staffing?https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/rt%C3%A9-to-offer-improved-redundancy-terms-to-300-staff-1.3203914

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Why does RTE need 1 orchestra, let alone 2?

Why does RTE need Marian?
    Keep the 2 Orchestras and get rid of her.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Testament1 wrote: »
    As for RTE, I recently had the misfortune of using the RTE player app to try watch a live Champions League game. The single worst media experience I've ever encountered. Pixelated hell and constant dropouts which could only be resolved by exiting the stream and trying again only for the same thing to happen a couple minutes later, all this on an 80mbps connection. Funnily enough the ads played in crystal clear uninterrupted high definition though.....

I recall watching the RTE player during the Frances Fitzgerald craziness at the end of last year, and I had to keep refreshing it non stop due to it timing out and just stopping. Funnily enough, the ads loaded and played just fine rolleyes.png
    Muahahaha wrote: »

WTF! Channel 4 only has 200 employees?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Why does RTE need Marian?
    Keep the 2 Orchestras and get rid of her.

They don't need to have any orchestra.Does TV3 have an orchestra?

They don't need Marian either, but that's another story...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,202 ✭✭✭facehugger99

How can the RTE player be so awful?

Absolutely unwatchable for the Champions League the other night. The pirate stream I use on the other hand is perfect HD quality and is probably run by one stoned dude from his parent's basement.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,265 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I'm a full time student at the mo an because of that the amount of TV I watch is so minimal it's almost nothing. As I've constantly things to do I can't live by the RTE Schedule so almost everything I watch is online. I would find it quite a struggle to pay the TV license, I live alone so wouldn't share it with anyone, and I really wouldn't be getting value for money as there isn't a single thing ,TV show or anything I follow regularly. The only thing I might watch regularly would be the News and that certainty wouldn't be every day. Sometimes late night chat shows but that's only so I can make bitchy comments about them on the TV forums here : D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Always number 1

As much as I hate Tubridy, and I truly despise him, the above is incorrect. He is on air 5 hours per week on the radio and on screen 2 hours a week on TV. But you don't just roll out of bed and go straight onto air or on screen though.

That's what his team of minions, sorry researchers, do. The presenters probably rock in about 5/10 mins before the start of the show and get handed a document with what they need.

In my line of work, I deal regularly with the researchers for these programmes but have never dealt with Ryan or Joe or Ray directly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

How can the RTE player be so awful?

Absolutely unwatchable for the Champions League the other night. The pirate stream I use on the other hand is perfect HD quality and is probably run by one stoned dude from his parent's basement.

I agree - it's going to cost them viewers as it's effectively unusable. I've given up on it so many times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

If the "stars" won't take a reasonable wage let them feck off, geriatric job blockers and pretensuous creeps for the most part anyway.

Wages should be pegged against those of tv3 and TG4. TG4 is a great example of what a public service broadcaster should be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

What they need to do is farm out the collection of the unpaid licence fees to a proper business that deals with that sort of thing and not rely on An Post to send out vaguely threatening letters every now and then. If they managed to get the rate of non-compliance under 5% then they'd have all the money they could ever dream of and you never know, it might mean an overall reduction in the one tax that I despise paying more than any other.

Advertisement