Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Rookie - US-Pace- ABC (**Spoilers**)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Waiting this long on word of a renewal/cancellation is not good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Waiting this long on word of a renewal/cancellation is not good news.

I can see it going further and they probably do this to get more talking about it....

Wouldn't be surprised if Netflix or similar would want to keep it going if it were dropped....

It really is a great ensemble cast.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

IMO it's almost certain to be renewed, ABC's ratings have absolutely tanked this year with the exception of The Rookie which has held strong and is now has the 2nd highest ratings in its time slot on ABC. It's main competition would be Whiskey Cavalier which has not only totally tanked despite huge advertising (Superbowl!) and isn't a network owned show.

If I were a betting man, I'd say Rookie renewed and moved to a better day (same time slot) and Whiskey Cavalier gets the axe.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,908 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

just started watching this , can't believe it took me so long. one of the better series on television. 4 episodes watched so far, and am finding it excellent !!

• Advertisement

watched up till episode 10 last night :o

• Registered Users Posts: 60,270 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

This week again Jaysus.

It will be an absolute disgrace if this show doesn't get renewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Another fantastic episode this week.

If this show gets cancelled then Nathan Fillion can rightly say he has two of the very one season shows cancelled way to soon.

I'm enjoying this but lets not go mental. Firefly was....special.

And that’s it. 20 episodes done.

Little cliff hanger.

Scored 0.7 and just under 4 million viewers. I can’t help but think it would do better in a different time slot with a better lead in.

And that’s it. 20 episodes done.

Little cliff hanger.

Scored 0.7 and just under 4 million viewers. I can’t help but think it would do better in a different time slot with a better lead in.

Would it though? Blue bloods typically only gets 0.8. Chicago PD gets around a 1.1

A lot of mistrust of the police in America at the moment. Shows, where the cops are straight laced heroes, likely won't do stellar ratings in 18-49.

I think in today's climate coupled with the rise of streaming services, thats about what you can expect for a cop show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

But it had will.i.am in a cameo.

And I would not classify it as a little cliffhanger, the fact that they never were able to do either written or verbal test is a big cliffhanger.

Let's hope that despite the ratings and demo it will get a second season which I think it deserves. It was entertaining (more than other shows out there) and it had some solid storylines and acting.

Kirby wrote: »
    Would it though? Blue bloods typically only gets 0.8. Chicago PD gets around a 1.1

A lot of mistrust of the police in America at the moment. Shows, where the cops are straight laced heroes, likely won't do stellar ratings in 18-49.

I think in today's climate coupled with the rise of streaming services, thats about what you can expect for a cop show.

Well the Blue Bloods/H50 combo was always in that time slot from Season 2. This was at a time when a lot of America was simply not going out on a Friday night because of the recession. From what I read CBS were happy with those numbers for a Friday and thats where they have stayed.

But if you want to go down the anti-law route explain NCIS? 16 seasons and still holding the record for highest ratings? Could it be the love affair with all things military?

If you delve into the rookie a bit more they do show a more professional LAPD than they once use to be. Good use of African-American characters in senior positions as well as Latinos. I think from the PC angle they are ticking all the boxes coupled with some clever storylines.

The lack of news about renewal/cancellation is a tough call. Its an ABC produced show so that reduces costs. Nathan Fillion is a much loved body in ABC so that also helps. Time will tell I suppose.

Oh and I could be totally wrong with everything I have said.

And I would not classify it as a little cliffhanger, the fact that they never were able to do either written or verbal test is a big cliffhanger.

Ah but the longer they drag out the lack of test means they can get more episodes out of a season. How long can 'the rookie' be a rookie? 5-6 seasons?

Rookie Blue lasted 6 seasons and they were all 13 episodes each bar the last 2.

But if you want to go down the anti-law route explain NCIS? 16 seasons and still holding the record for highest ratings? Could it be the love affair with all things military?

NCIS isn't a cop show like the examples given though. I dont watch it but my understanding is that it's a bit like CSI. Crime occurs, good guys investigate, good guys catch bad guys.
    If you delve into the rookie a bit more they do show a more professional LAPD than they once use to be. Good use of African-American characters in senior positions as well as Latinos. I think from the PC angle they are ticking all the boxes coupled with some clever storylines.

They are ticking the boxes alright but I would wager its a bit too schmaltzy for some people. Everyone is just so wholesome.

In the finale we saw an FBI agent gun down a suspect in cold blood. Thats a start but again, she isn't LAPD and It was done more for relationship drama to be honest.

If they want to catch the publics attention, they need to start showing the more real, darker side of the police force. The cops planting evidence, using unnecessary force, bad shootings, etc. The stuff that the public is exposed to. The stuff that kicked off movements like Black Lives Matter.

If they want to make a light fluffy propaganda piece for the LAPD, go nuts. But it's never going to make for great tv or get more than a few million people watching.

Me personally, Im watching this for Nathan Fillion. But the show itself is just.....okay. It's not great by any means.

Kirby wrote: »
    Me personally, Im watching this for Nathan Fillion. But the show itself is just.....okay. It's not great by any means.

Well I was never a Castle fan so this is a first for me. I agree it needs to stretch itself. But like any 1st season....its wants a 2nd season. Ultimately a 3rd season so you can be guaranteed S4/5.

You could see Officer Bradfords character get a lot 'darker' I think. If it is renewed I'd imagine the show will begin to get a bit more gritty.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    I don’t think he got dark at all, in fact he was asked to cross the line by his wife and he refused and then he took one for the team in the last episode and protected his rookie, a dedicated officer in my opinion.
    I think if it’s renewed we will see the
    rookies all promoted to officers and Bradford promoted since he asked to take his detective exam and he will work with detective Wolfe

I'm just thinking they may make Bradfords character darker in the future. I know he has been a good cop so far ! Thinking he may crack !

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Tom1991

Burned through this over the past week.Great tv show where the cast as a whole just really gels.Visually great aswell the shots and angles they use keep the eye glued to the tv.
    Would like to see a season 2 but I fear the cancellation season ever since my name is Earl got whacked.Fingers crossed

The ratings comparison to shows on other networks is entirely moot. The Rookie has good ratings for ABC in its time slot against its competition. I'm hanging my hat on this: The Rookie will be renewed and Whiskey Cavalier will be axed.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,444 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Hopefully the Rookie will be saved. The finale was excellent.

I watched some Whiskey Cavalier over the weekend - I didn't hate it. :)

• Advertisement

Mr E wrote: »
    Hopefully the Rookie will be saved. The finale was excellent.

I watched some Whiskey Cavalier over the weekend - I didn't hate it. :)
    I've started to enjoy it the last few weeks as well, but ratings wise in terms of its cost I think it's toast.

I've started to enjoy it the last few weeks as well, but ratings wise in terms of its cost I think it's toast.

I think you are in the minority in that thinking. As was pointed out it is studio owned so that makes its cheaper to produce. It is also in a 10pm slot. I think a different night in the 9pm slot might give it a wider appeal should season 2 happen.

I think you are in the minority in that thinking. As was pointed out it is studio owned so that makes its cheaper to produce. It is also in a 10pm slot. I think a different night in the 9pm slot might give it a wider appeal should season 2 happen.
    I was talking about Whiskey Cavalier. If you see the thread the person who pointed out what you are saying about The Rookie was... me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Haven’t seen it...would ye recommend?

honeybear wrote: »
    I think The Rookie is the best new show of the year on network TV.

I was talking about Whiskey Cavalier. If you see the thread the person who pointed out what you are saying about The Rookie was... me.

Sorry I watch a lot of american TV so Im not the sharpest tool in the box!!! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I think it's a show that grows on you. I wasn't convinced for the first 2-3 episodes but IMO it becomes a pretty decent watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,784 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Are you referring to The Rookie or Whiskey Cavalier which was mentioned in the post before yours?

Haven't watched Whiskey Cavalier so no comment.
    For The Rookie, it's an easy watch, as I found by watching 16 episodes over the space of a few days, which should also let you know it was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,270 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

ABC are doing there renewals & cancellations this evening still waiting on the Rookie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,889 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

ABC are doing there renewals & cancellations this evening still waiting on the Rookie.

Just got renewed

Advertisement