Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

CatInABox wrote: »
    Considering the lack of information from that era, you're going to rule out the possibility of a female spartan, but rule in the possibility of a remote control eagle?

Also, female samurai.

in terms of a fighting member of a spartan army, yes, completely. As for the Onna-bugeisha, from what i can gather they where part of the samurai caste system but not a samurai as in wielding a katana samurai.

As Penn said, if they can justify it better than just "hey, heres a woman, equality for all" i'll go with it gladly.

Shiminay wrote: »
    Meanwhile, on Twitter...

453443.jpg

Also: Historical Accuracy and Blideo Blames are, barring a few very rare exceptions, mutually exclusive and you have to ask yourself if you *really* want to be on the same team as the sorts of screaming manbabies that are proud to have harassed a woman off Twitter cause she had the audacity to be a woman in a Star Wars film?

I enjoyed Origins a lot more than I expected to. I do consider myself a fan of the series generally despite its very real flaws. Right now I can see both an Edward Conway and Ratonhnhaké:ton/Conor statues on top of my shelf (both of which I got for €30 in Gamestop by waiting a year), so there're my colours nailed to the mast (if you'll excuse the pun). Origins added some nice changes and I'm looking forward to seeing an expansion on this with the next one, but again, I'm not going to be buying it until 6ish months in at least (mostly cause I'm done buying games at launch when I have so many fine games to play and no real rush to play what's new).

But dialogue trees and decisions having branching results is a good move as long as they don't hand-wave all player agency away at the end of the game cause they have to shoe-horn it into some sort of ending.

i dont harass women online or in real life, i like living :pac: Why would someone have a problem with a female in the star wars universe?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I have no idea, but apparently, there are enough fuckwits out there who think that the Feminazis are ruining their Star Wars because they're afraid of them or something. A quick Google of Kelly Marie Tran (The actress who played Rose in the last film) will show you what she's had to deal with since the film came out.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

in terms of a fighting member of a spartan army, yes, completely. As for the Onna-bugeisha, from what i can gather they where part of the samurai caste system but not a samurai as in wielding a katana samurai.

As Penn said, if they can justify it better than just "hey, heres a woman, equality for all" i'll go with it gladly.

Here's a quote from the Wikipedia article I linked:
    In the Tale of Heike, she was described as being "especially beautiful, with white skin, long hair, and charming features. She was also a remarkably strong archer, and as a swords-woman she was a warrior worth a thousand, ready to confront a demon or a god, mounted or on foot. She handled unbroken horses with superb skill; she rode unscathed down perilous descents. Whenever a battle was imminent, Yoshinaka sent her out as his first captain, equipped with strong armor, an oversized sword, and a mighty bow; and she performed more deeds of valor than any of his other warriors."

If that doesn't scream video games character, then I don't know what does.

I wonder why including a female character offends people so much. I mean, the games we play, they're fiction. As Shiminay said, you end up fighting a souped up Pope at the end of one of these games. Why is it offensive to you that a woman character could feature in a game?

I remember reading about that actually, idiots! Star wars is a weird one, people are straight up fanatical about it.

• Advertisement

CatInABox wrote: »
    Here's a quote from the Wikipedia article I linked:

If that doesn't scream video games character, then I don't know what does.

I wonder why including a female character offends people so much. I mean, the games we play, they're fiction. As Shiminay said, you end up fighting a souped up Pope at the end of one of these games. Why is it offensive to you that a woman character could feature in a game?

If you'd read through my posts you'd realize I don't have a problem with female characters, they just have to make sense to me, that's all.
    I could name countless games/films with female lead characters that I love.
    I just can't believe a society that commited infanticide to weed out the weak would have a female soldier. It's my problem and my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Even if a female protagonist seems "out of place" (which she doesn't, by the way), there's a fecking minotaur in this game. A minotaur. They're clearly going for a more mythological setting than historical, so anything goes.

Even if a female protagonist seems "out of place" (which she doesn't, by the way), there's a fecking minotaur in this game. A minotaur. They're clearly going for a more mythological setting than historical, so please, untrigger yourselves.

didnt see that :pac: all bets are off so haha Natalie the nut cracking spartan

• Registered Users Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

didnt see that :pac: all bets are off so haha Natalie the nut cracking spartan

Yeah, right at the end of the E3 trailer. Anyway, I edited my above post as I didn't intend to sound like such a dick. :o

Only slightly triggered so no worries, first world gamer problems :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

The Ancient History nerd in me is honestly infuriated by a female Spartan warrior being in this, because no, it did not happen.

However, it's Assassins Creed, and they firmly moved away from historical accuracy quite a while ago. It's fantasy based in a historical setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,799 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

You know, I can get over the whole female Spartan thing. After all, they were the backbone of the Spartan Army, and had more power than nearly the King himself. They were highly respected and were cunning and athletic. They did get involved in the defence of their homes while the army was off fighting Crete, and the story of Princess Arachidamia is known to have played a big part. They didn't directly take part like a male Spartan, but they were not defenceless. I'm taking this game as if one of them decided, feck it, i'm off to fight too.

I do agree that female characters shouldn't be shoehorned in where they don't belong, but I don't find it too far of a stretch to believe that a Spartan woman was able to fight just as well as Spartan men. There were female Gladiators, Samurai, there were no female Knights but the women of those times had other military roles (Knights and archers weren't even in the same social class). The ancient Greeks had female warriors. Remember, people have tried to rewrite history for their own benefits, and a lot of men from back then were very misogynistic, so it's only natural they wouldn't include the female warriors. Over time, i'd imagine, more and more information was lost, but i've no doubt that each era had female equivalents of the males, but much like a Knight being a male role, there was probably a female version called something else.

No doubt there where female warriors throughout history, I'd imagine they where extremely rare though. Brianne of tarth from game of thrones is a good example even though it's fiction, she's as big/strong as the men.

No doubt there where female warriors throughout history, I'd imagine they where extremely rare though. Brianne of tarth from game of thrones is a good example even though it's fiction, she's as big/strong as the men.

Exactly. Strong women are not a modern occurrence. They were always there, but probably got even less respect for not being ladylike.

Either way, it's not really a problem as long as it doesn't affect the gameplay, or they're very different in styles, like AC Syndicate. I used Jacob for the melee, and Evie for the stealthy stuff.

I have faith in Ubisoft these days. They took the feedback about the AC series and created Origins, which was amazing imo. As the same team worked on some of Odyssey, and they've had just as much time, I reckon it will be another great AC! Let's hope the alternating year lull of the past doesn't happen!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

It's totally off-topic, but varied massively depending on the region.

The Vikings were quite happy to have both men and women go to war, but more typically for the overseas invasions it was men who went.

The Greeks were a lot more close minded, while certain groups like the Spartans would train women in combat, it was really more of a home defence thing in the event of an invasion on their lands.

The Romans were firmly opposed to it, and even as Gladiators I think they are only like 3 documented cases of women as Gladiators.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭fugyvuhgvhbjb

I want to pre-order the gold edition but not sure where to pre-order it. Was going to go with smyths but I don't trust smyths to actually sell the game early. (the gold edition is the game and season pass and also the game early on 2nd October instead of the 5th)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I want to pre-order the gold edition but not sure where to pre-order it. Was going to go with smyths but I don't trust smyths to actually sell the game early. (the gold edition is the game and season pass and also the game early on 2nd October instead of the 5th)

Digital download?

Digital download?

Nah. Its way more expensive on PSN. It's 80 Euro in Smyths but 100 euro on psn.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Amazon maybe? get onto their chat support and ask them if they will be sending the gold edition early so its playable on the 2nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,535 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

I wish they would bring out GTA games as much as they do assassins creed!

• Advertisement

Amazon maybe? get onto their chat support and ask them if they will be sending the gold edition early so its playable on the 2nd.

Thanks for the suggestion but I doubt they will. I have ordered games off amazon in the past and they never arrive in time for release day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I'd rather not get it 3 days early, than have to pay an extra €20 for it personally.
    I would have faith in Smyths to release it on the 2nd myself :)

marcbrophy wrote: »
    I'd rather not get it 3 days early, than have to pay an extra €20 for it personally.
    I would have faith in Smyths to release it on the 2nd myself :)

Fair enough.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    I wish they would bring out GTA games as much as they do assassins creed!

They'd be utter muck if they did :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,890 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Season pass will include Assassin's Creed 3 remaster and dlc will be episodic

I think they've been relatively quiet about this, which has me slightly worried, but the game does look phenomenal. I will most likely pick this up on release. Pretty sure I made my money back on Origins once I finished it, but it looks like they will have a reason for me to hold onto this one. If it plays anything like Origins, it will be good, so it's all down to the story now!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,261 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Assassin's Creed 3 remastered...

Unity aside, there is no game I want to play less than this.

I'm hoping the quieter approach to this game will work in its favour as there's no hysteria or overhype to buy in to.

Could be a great game but could finally be the Assassin's Creed game that breaks me away from the series after playing each and every one up to now (bar Rogue).

The best thing that I can say about AC3, is that without it, there'd be no Black Flag :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

marcbrophy wrote:
    The best thing that I can say about AC3, is that without it, there'd be no Black Flag

The first few hours were ok. I gave up halfway through as a combination of glitches/bugs & a lot of instant fail missions with bad checkpoints got the better of me.
    I was at the stage where I'd have to watch a playthrough on YouTube as I felt like you had to get through certain areas of it in a certain sequence never deviating from the one way to get through a camp or tail for information.

• Advertisement

ERG89 wrote: »
    The first few hours were ok. I gave up halfway through as a combination of glitches/bugs & a lot of instant fail missions with bad checkpoints got the better of me.
    I was at the stage where I'd have to watch a playthrough on YouTube as I felt like you had to get through certain areas of it in a certain sequence never deviating from the one way to get through a camp or tail for information.

I was in the exact same way about a couple of months back, when I went to revisit the game.
    I never completed it, just left it after a few hours :)

Advertisement