Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Yakuza / Like A Dragon Megathread

Options

Comments

Yakuza 0 is free on Game Pass for PC for anyone not played it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,514 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Yakuza 0 is free on Game Pass for PC for anyone not played it.

It's on Game Pass for Xbox too.

Kiwami and Kiwami 2 will be joining Game Pass as well.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Playing 6 myself ATM , great little game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

The fishing mini game in yakuza 6 is brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Just finshed 6 there. Great game. Baby Haruto is the best.

• Advertisement

So ive been playing Judgment since last night. It really might be my favorite of all these Yakuza games.

Finished 6 last night, what an ending, now I have to go back and finish 3, 4 and 5, not bothered that I didn't play them in order, trying to get the legend trophy in 6, legend mode is tough! but you just need to complete the final battle to get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

Finally picked up the remastered collection today having played 0, K1 & K2 - should get me through a couple of weeks of staying home :)

For anyone that has played it, is 3 really as janky/jarring as the reviews make out? Seems to be the shortest in the series so I'll play through regardless.
    So ive been playing Judgment since last night. It really might be my favorite of all these Yakuza games.

Yeah I really enjoyed it as well, slow opening hours but it really picks up in the 2nd half. Hoping we see a sequel at some point for it.

Had this track on repeat in my office anytime I stopped by :D

Yakuza Kiwami out now for gamepass on Xbox and PC.

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Playing Kiwami at the moment on PC. Its okay but 0 was a good bit better.

• Advertisement

I got the collection for 45 in the Japan sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

Finished Yakuza 3 and started 4 now but think I’m burnt out :D might give it a month and then lash in and try to finish them but at this rate I’ll be playing 6 by Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Arcadeheroes

It has been confirmed Yakuza 7 will get a Playstation 5 upgrade.

Also alongside to this announcement Sega released a trailer with no confirmed release date as of yet.

this has been my most anticipated title for 2020 !! I really cant wait anymore :)

It has been confirmed Yakuza 7 will get a Playstation 5 upgrade.

Also alongside to this announcement Sega released a trailer with no confirmed release date as of yet.

this has been my most anticipated title for 2020 !! I really cant wait anymore :)

Xbox store has it listed as being released on November 12th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭brady12

For a newbie to the series what be best game to dip into it ? Yakuza 0?

brady12 wrote: »
    For a newbie to the series what be best game to dip into it ? Yakuza 0?

0 isn't a bad start being a prequel. It's on the PlayStation Hits range so is cheap on that platform, for PC and for Xbox it is available on Game Pass.

0 is a great starting point. I cant wait for Like a Dragon!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I’ve returned to Yakuza 0 in the past week or two, and it’s definitely my favourite of the ones I’ve played - it’s just full of so many wild and silly mechanics and tangents that it’s fun discovering what it has to hide.

But I really, really wish the game would get on with it sometimes. The actual main campaign path is often a chore to push through, and the cutscenes (thankfully skippable) are even longer and more tedious than ever. I’ve watched a lot of the classic yakuza films, and they certainly don’t tend to ****e on to quite the same extent as they do in these games :pac:

I like the Yakuza games a lot, and the sprawling and unhurried nature is a big appeal. But definitely feel like the game does stop and start in ways that damage the flow as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

Anyone on here pick up Like a Dragon Yet? I'm tempted myself, looks good

skerry wrote: »

Not yet. Hammered financially between grabbing an XSX and a PS5. Will grab it in a couple of weeks in the sale, it's pretty much guaranteed to have a price drop then.

• Advertisement

Not yet. Hammered financially between grabbing an XSX and a PS5. Will grab it in a couple of weeks in the sale, it's pretty much guaranteed to have a price drop then.

Looks awesome, turn based wackiness. Game Pass has me spoiled though, I havent bought an Xbox game on release in ages. Might make an exception here though. I'm sure it won't be pushing crazy next gen graphics but at least it has Series X enhancements

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

How do people rate YK 2? I have it on Game Pass but not really given it a chance yet, is it worth the bother?

How do people rate YK 2? I have it on Game Pass but not really given it a chance yet, is it worth the bother?

I thought it was very good. Finished it last month. Uses the new engine too so looks a lot better than Kiwami and Zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Holding off till the start of March when the PS5 version is out, would be tempted to do the same if we had a definitive date for Cyberpunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I thought it was very good. Finished it last month. Uses the new engine too so looks a lot better than Kiwami and Zero.

Cheers, I'll give it a go, I put off most other games while finishing the Witcher 3, onto the DLC on that now and taking a bit of a break so something different for a change will be nice

Xenji wrote: »
    Holding off till the start of March when the PS5 version is out, would be tempted to do the same if we had a definitive date for Cyberpunk.

Turn based combat looks good and the summons look mad altogether. My only reservation is if the turn based combat encounters will drag given the amount of mobs you generally run into running from A to B in a Yakuza game

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

Maybe a bit of a sour taste left by the fact the xbox series x keeps having issues and losing progress, but from what I have been able to play so far I'm a little iffy on it.

I liked the idea of turn based battles, and some of the takes on JRPG tropes to fit into a modern world are hilarious, with random battles against such enemies as the drunken "Beerserkers" or the "Hungry Hungry Homeless", who have poisonous hobo breath. However, several hours in, and there's still not enough abilities for there to be any real strategy, and some of it feels very imprecise, like certain abilities have AOE but there's no way of telling how big the area is or who is within it when choosing, compounded by characters randomly moving around constantly so they may be in the zone when selecting an attack but move out of it as you trigger it.

Outside the combat system, there's lots of trademark Yakuza humour and craziness, and it's still very enjoyable, but I'm not yet warming to Ichiban as much as Kiryu, or Yokohama as much as Kamurocho. Still time for them to grow on me as I get further in though as it's still early days. It's by no means a poor game, just not quite at the standard of previous titles in the series as yet for me.

quokula wrote: »
    Maybe a bit of a sour taste left by the fact the xbox series x keeps having issues and losing progress, but from what I have been able to play so far I'm a little iffy on it.

I liked the idea of turn based battles, and some of the takes on JRPG tropes to fit into a modern world are hilarious, with random battles against such enemies as the drunken "Beerserkers" or the "Hungry Hungry Homeless", who have poisonous hobo breath. However, several hours in, and there's still not enough abilities for there to be any real strategy, and some of it feels very imprecise, like certain abilities have AOE but there's no way of telling how big the area is or who is within it when choosing, compounded by characters randomly moving around constantly so they may be in the zone when selecting an attack but move out of it as you trigger it.

Outside the combat system, there's lots of trademark Yakuza humour and craziness, and it's still very enjoyable, but I'm not yet warming to Ichiban as much as Kiryu, or Yokohama as much as Kamurocho. Still time for them to grow on me as I get further in though as it's still early days. It's by no means a poor game, just not quite at the standard of previous titles in the series as yet for me.

Sound for the detailed reply. Are you generally a fan of turn based combat? Its the thought of how they implement what is typically done in a fantasy type setting into busting heads on the city streets is kind of whats appealing to me and from the what you've said it seems they've implemented that quite well.

Are the save issues your having with the game itself or a result of quick resume not doing what it should? Haven't tried that feature myself yet but I've heard it has a couple of kinks to be sorted.

Might pick up the game during the week. I'm playing a lot of shooter type stuff since I got new console which I normally don't play but enjoying them at the moment. Think some turn based madness might mix things up well

Sound for the detailed reply. Are you generally a fan of turn based combat? Its the thought of how they implement what is typically done in a fantasy type setting into busting heads on the city streets is kind of whats appealing to me and from the what you've said it seems they've implemented that quite well.

Are the save issues your having with the game itself or a result of quick resume not doing what it should? Haven't tried that feature myself yet but I've heard it has a couple of kinks to be sorted.

Might pick up the game during the week. I'm playing a lot of shooter type stuff since I got new console which I normally don't play but enjoying them at the moment. Think some turn based madness might mix things up well

Yeah my issues are with quick resume. You could be in the middle of a typical Yakuza 15 minute long story dialog, have to pause and pop out for some reason, come back only to find quick resume has kicked you out and you have to redo a bunch of stuff you already did because you hadn't manually saved in a while.

Regarding the turn based strategy, I love turn based stuff so I was looking forward to this. I'm about 5 or 6 hours into the game, for a long time I only had one character, now I have 3, but they still only have a couple of abilities each, and they're pretty much all just physical attacks, with a choice of high MP / high power, or low MP / low power and that's about it. There are elements and status effects and stuff, I think I just need to get further into the game for that to all unfold.

The other issue I have is the AOE stuff. For example all of my characters have a variation of an attack where you pick one enemy, and it hits all enemies "near" them. But there is no definition of what counts as near (some attacks seem to have a wider radius than others, but I can't see this information surfaced anywhere) and there's no indication whatsoever as to who is in or out of that range. Even if you get a feel for each move's radius through trial and error, it's still a bit hit and miss because people walk around randomly during the fight and they might move out of range while the animation plays.

This is nitpicky though, I am still enjoying the game overall and as the move sets and character sets expand it might come into its own. And if you're just playing casually and don't care much for strategy, you can definitely just enjoy laughing at the imaginative enemies and moves that they've come up with. Summons are absolutely hilarious, I don't want to begin to describe how they work as it would be a spoiler.

• Advertisement

I have now played the mission with the minigame where you have to not fall asleep during a bad movie and I take back anything negative I said.

GOTY

Advertisement