Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Genuinely good movies that have went under the radar?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

cockneys vs zombies, low budget, laughably terrible but extremely enjoyable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q96po6oa11w

• Registered Users Posts: 9,527 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

OK, it's hardly an unknown film but I think Carlito's Way could fit in this category. It's a genuinely outstanding film - anyone I know who's seen it loves it, but a lot of people seem to be unaware of it. For me, it's right up there with the Goodfellas etc but doesn't have nearly as much 'reputation'.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭strawdog

The Proposition - Australian western written by Nick Cave with Guy Pearce, Ray Winstone, Danny Huston Emily Watson. Don't think this made too many waves at the time, remember watching in cinema at time and loving the atmospheric cinematography and sparse dialogue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

The Invitation, a very tense, indie thriller from 2015. Will and his girlfriend go up to the Hollywood Hills being thrown by his ex-wife Eden and her new husband. Many of Will and Eden's shared friends are at the party who haven't seen much of either of them since a family tragedy drove them to divorce. As the evening wears on, Will becomes paranoid and ever more convinced that there is an ulterior motive to this get-together.

This is on Netflix at the moment and I think everyone should watch it. It's been criminally overlooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I'm the only one of my mates who saw it anyways, Hidden Figures.

I found it really enjoyable and it was released around the same time last year as a lot of overly hyped movies that didn't live up to expectations.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

The Man From Earth

Low budget, real low haha.. basically a group of people in a room, but its an amazing story told by one person without spoiling it. Defo worth watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭tomofson

Things to do in Denver when your dead (1995)

King of new york (1990)

Bad lieutenant (1992)

Chin Girl (1987)

suicidal kings (1997)

Those are some genuinely good action/crime/drama flicks that have definitely gone under the radar, they both have quite low population of ratings on IMDB, especially compared to some of the other films that was mentioned here.

I will post some more when I think of some in the mean time I highly recommend all movies above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Disorder is a 2015 movie starring Matthias Schoenaerts and Diane Kruger. Schoenaerts is a soldier assigned to protect the wife of a french politician.
    Aka Maryland.
    The Man From Earth

Low budget, real low haha.. basically a group of people in a room, but its an amazing story told by one person without spoiling it. Defo worth watching.
    There's a sequel: Man from Earth, Holocene which doesn't quite work so well imho. It's a self-pirate so available legitimately on the dodgy sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,955 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I'm sure I've seen this question before, and one of my answers will always be The Ice Storm (1997):

(That trailer music and voiceover are not in the movie, thankfully.)

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

tricky D wrote: »

There's a sequel: Man from Earth, Holocene which doesn't quite work so well imho. It's a self-pirate so available legitimately on the dodgy sources.

Yeh I watched it, thought it was terrible. First one is great though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Symbol - possibly the funniest, strangest comedy of the last decade... a tour de force of slapstick, surrealism and running gags. Trailers can't possibly do the sheer sustained, manic imagination of the thing justice.

Court - non-Bollywood Indian cinema is rarely released, so it was a surprise this got released in the West at all. The film itself is a masterful, quietly devastating critique of a farcical legal system.

Leviathan - Deadliest Catch meets a David Lynch film... this grimy, lo-fi, GoPro-heavy film about a fishing boat is a strange, intense, hypnotic documentary quite unlike anything else.

The Day He Arrives (plus many, many others) - Hong Sang-soo is easily among my favourite working directors, but I find myself frantically scanning film festival schedules and digital stores hoping to find his latest work... it certainly doesn't come to you. Still, The Day He Arrives - although it didn't get a proper Irish release (the excellent Nobody's Daughter Haewon) is AFAIK the only one to receive that honour - is probably the easiest to track down for anyone looking to dive down the Director Hong rabbithole... thankfully, it is also in many ways one of his most representative films, complete with major structural trickery and lots of alcohol.

Certain Women - feels odd putting this here, but I always felt it never got the shot it deserved (IIRC it was released here during an avalanche of Oscar-time releases). Possibly Kelly Reichardt's finest work to date, and she's made some very fine films indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,917 ✭✭✭spookwoman

The Good, the Bad and the Weird. Korean western set in the 1930's. The shoot out lasts about 10-20 mins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭2 Scoops

Dead snow.. Nazi Zombies!

Sequel is decent too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,697 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Ah True Romance hardly went under the radar. It’s got one of the best cast lists you’re ever likely to see.

This was the first film I thought of when I read the OP also. It's an unbelievable film Im not a huge movie buff but I've brought it up in conversation lots of times and there's lots of people who have never heard of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭MfMan

OK, it's hardly an unknown film but I think Carlito's Way could fit in this category. It's a genuinely outstanding film - anyone I know who's seen it loves it, but a lot of people seem to be unaware of it. For me, it's right up there with the Goodfellas etc but doesn't have nearly as much 'reputation'.

Don't think it was underrated as such. Not perfect but still an excellent tale of greed, betrayal and thwarted dreams. Love Patrick Doyle's theme also.

Locke (on last night) is worth a look. Set entirely in a car journey at night with Tom Hardy constantly on the phone trying to remain composed and hold various strands together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

MfMan wrote: »
    Don't think it was underrated as such. Not perfect but still an excellent tale of greed, betrayal and thwarted dreams. Love Patrick Doyle's theme also.

Locke (on last night) is worth a look. Set entirely in a car journey at night with Tom Hardy constantly on the phone trying to remain composed and hold various strands together.

Locke is great. Sounds like a fúcking awful idea for a movie - watch a guy making phone calls while driving for 90mins but Hardy is absolutely brilliant as the central character whose life is crumbling around him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭RainMakerToo

Triangle: mind bending time travel thriller - very well crafted.

On that note, I'd add Coherence: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2866360/

• Registered Users Posts: 20,506 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Memento with Guy Pearce,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Husker Du

spookwoman wrote: »
    Silver Bullet A Stephen King oldie about a werewolf

Love this one. Remember renting it as a kid and being terrified. Good times!
    CyberGhost wrote: »
    Bad Moon - Underrated and relatively unknown werewolf movie.

Really enjoyed Bad Moon.

Late Phases is another good one with a werewolf theme.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,917 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Romper Stomper - Skinkheads in Australia with Russell Crowe
    Chopper - Story of Mark "Chopper" Read based on his book From the Inside. Eric Bana
    The Hidden - Sci Fi Kyle MacLachlan is chasing an alien parasite that taken of human bodies and goes on a crime spree
    Society - Just weird

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Autofocus, Blackthorn and 2010: The Year We Make Contact.

Memento with Guy Pearce,

Everyone was talking about one.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

Dirty Pretty Things. I don’t think it was too well known? A brilliant story of illegal organ harvesting of illegal workers. Set in London if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

Dirty Pretty Things. I don’t think it was too well known? A brilliant story of illegal organ harvesting of illegal workers. Set in London if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,944 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Memento with Guy Pearce,

I heard they are doing a remake!:eek:

I'd add Bad Day at Black Rock and Night of the Hunter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

Wake In Fright(1971).About a school teacher who's supposed to stay one night in an Aussie town but get's caught up in the mayhem the place has to offer.Wont give too much away but it's a lost classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ryathoe

Danton - French film about the revolutionary starring Gerard Depardieu - great film.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

spookwoman wrote: »
    Chopper - Story of Mark "Chopper" Read based on his book From the Inside. Eric Bana

+1 for Chopper. Eric Bana does a fantastic job portraying him. I had the dvd years ago and they interviewed Read for the dvd extras.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

The Wanderers. A 1979 movie about teenage gangs in the Bronx during the 60's. Directed by the same man who wrote Indiana Jones.

I watched that film years ago and loved it. I can't remember much of it now. I think it was a bit like grease but had a much darker element to it? The soundtrack of it was amazing.

Advertisement