Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Genuinely good movies that have went under the radar?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

Ipso wrote: »
    Adventureland. I seem to remember the trailer making it out to be a comedy like American Pie.

I love adventureland. It was a much more tasteful coming of age comedy than American pie which ia q terrible film. Adventureland much realer and even funnier. The part where Bill Hader chases the guy with the bat is hilarious. And Kristen Stewart looked amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,381 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The Bounty, 1980s epic version The Mutiny on the Bounty starring Anthony Hopkins and Mel Gibson, with minor roles for Daniel Day Lewis and Liam Neeson early in their careers.

Liberty Heights, a late 1990s film looking back at the 1950s as a Jewish boy falls for an African-American girl, starring Ben Foster and Adrien Brody.

A Slight Case of Murder, with William H Macy, a screwball dark comedy.

The Sweet Hereafter by Canadian auteur Atom Egoyan, starring Ian Holm and Sarah Polley.
    Also Exotica by the same director, starring Bruce Greenwood.
    I don't think either of the above are that well known outside Canada.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Automan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Automan wrote: »

Top notch movie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,400 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Automan wrote: »

Ah no. Universally acclaimed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,748 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I really liked

The way way back

The hunt for the wilderpeople (but it seems to have now found its audience!)

Trick r treat (cracking little horror anthology film)

Whip it

Equilibrium

The iron giant

The cooler

I also thought the edge of seventeen was very underrated... Similar in a way to ladybird but a lot better imo

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭overthebridge

Kalifornia with David Duchovny, Julliette Lewis and a very young Brad Pitt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

I greatly enjoyed 30 Days of Night

A good, high tension, vampire film.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

The Station Agent and Win Win

Both written and directed by Thomas McCarthy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭mistersifter

The Wanderers. A 1979 movie about teenage gangs in the Bronx during the 60's. Directed by the same man who wrote Indiana Jones.

first saw this in the early 90s as a kid. Bought this on DVD a while back for an aul nostalgia trip. Dont f*ck with the baldies! or the wangs for that matter.

more recently,. i liked Harsh Times with Christian Bale acting the nutter in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭yogi37

I Went Down

Brendan Gleeson classic line "no guts, no black pudding"

Kenny B wrote: »
    The Castle (1997) - Australian film with the uncle from Sullivan's and Eric Bana's 1st film, one of the funniest I've seen, brilliant writing and acting.

Just discovered this recently, absolutely brilliant ... so much serenity :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Open Range is an excellent western from 2003 with great turns by Kevin Costner and Robert Duvall.

Not obscure really, but I would highly recommend Duel. Senor Spielbergo's first feature film.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,161 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

What Maisie Knew is a great film

Dead Man starring Johnny Depp. A trippy western from about 20 years ago. Very atmospheric and a great supporting cast.

Bad Company, another western set during the civil war featuring a very young Jeff Bridges.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Ironman76

Men of Honour - DeNiros last great performance and a brilliant movie IMO. This is the one I always think of when i think of movies that seem to go unnoticed.

Snowpiercer - Last of humanity having to survive and co-exist on board a globe spanning train.

The Island - Michael Bay (I know,I know) yarn that got lost in the shuffle. Thought it was surprisingly good.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭blackwave

Once upon a Time in America, Sergio Leone's last film was a box office flop at the time. Because it originally meant to be close to four hours run time but it was edited to little over two hours with huge amounts of cuts made and ended up having massive plotholes. If you can get a copy of the European release it is well worth a look at

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

yogi37 wrote: »
    I Went Down

Brendan Gleeson classic line "no guts, no black pudding"

Funniest Irish film ever!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Predestination is a good sci-fi film that I don’t think is well known with a good story.

I also thought “I don’t feel at home this world anymore “ was good. Elijah Wood is in that , it’s on Netflix I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭RichT

blackwave wrote: »
    Once upon a Time in America, Sergio Leone's last film was a box office flop at the time. Because it originally meant to be close to four hours run time but it was edited to little over two hours with huge amounts of cuts made and ended up having massive plotholes. If you can get a copy of the European release it is well worth a look at

Absolutely brilliant film, with the absolutely brilliant score by Ennio Morricone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Ironman76

Predestination is a good sci-fi film that I don’t think is well known with a good story.

I also thought “I don’t feel at home this world anymore “ was good. Elijah Wood is in that , it’s on Netflix I think.

Good call. Very good movie and very different. The plot is insane but executed nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ShaunC

50 dead men walking. A very good film about the NI conflict.

Under the Skin

Slackers

Deathrace 2000

They Live

God's Pocket

Free State of Jones

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Buckfast W

ShaunC wrote:
    50 dead men walking. A very good film about the NI conflict.

The book is also very good.

Death to smoochy is a great film with Edward Norton and a Robin Williams.

Brother is very good.

Churchill the Hollywood years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Snowpiercer. Weird Korean American movie. One part under siege 2, one part raid, one part Tilda swinton.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭yogi37

Une Prophet

French movie so you need to be ok with subtitles (or able to understand French). Really cool film though.

Super. A dark comedy about a loser who decides to become a super hero. Sounds familiar? A much film better than Kick-Ass for my money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

People slag off Kevin Costner for the Waterworld flop. But he's been in many good movies.

One of them was '13 Days'. About the Cuban missile crisis. Most people have never seen it or never heard of it.

He was brilliant as Kenny O'Donnell.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭jbt123

Bitter Moon 1992

I enjoyed this at the time, but haven't seen it since. I thought it may fit in here. I don't think I've met too many people that have seen it.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/bitter_moon?

The legend of 1900

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/legend_of_1900/

• Advertisement

• apologies if these dont meet the obscurity requirements or have been mentioned

gattaca- as good as drama-led 90's scifi got imo

once upon a time in the west- if 'america' qualifies, then we have to make room for this, the greatest western ever made for my money and three of the finest turns ever given in one movie from henry fonda, charles bronson and especially the incredible jason robards

bad lieutenant: port of call new orleans- the movie nic cage was born to make, genius direction from herzog, absolutely mental and so, so, so unexpectedly hilarious

dog soldiers- very nicely made werewolf vs squaddies cult british movie from mid 90s

if youve seen and enjoyed the french connection (and you really should have, obv) then the majority of the crew and a good few of the cast made a very decent cops and robbers flick called "the seven ups" that has style, pacing and what is genuinely a top 5 of all time car chase. roy scheider stars, this is never a bad thing (except jaws sequels)

hardly obscure but seldom referenced these days, the sting is an absolute beaut of a movie, a cracking story expertly told and the cast is a dream- and if you dont know the story going in do yourself a favour and watch it cold. even if you somehow guess it youll still have lots of fun.

Advertisement