Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Genuinely good movies that have went under the radar?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭rtron

Great idea for a thread hope to find some gems from it.

Alyce kills - thought it was class psychological thriller bit like black swan.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭rtron

80s Child wrote: »
    Did Whiplash go under the radar?

Only seen it last week - brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

Tremors - Excellent monster movie with just the right amount of comedy
    Starring Kevin Bacon

Dark man - Mad scientist on a quest for revenge - and love!
    Directed by Sam Raimi and staring (a very young) Liam Neeson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I don't know how something like Whiplash could be considered under the radar.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I don't know how something like Whiplash could be considered under the radar.

I'd say the same for at least half the films listed in the thread, especially the older films.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭gargargar

Relatively recent but Bone Tomahawk is great, and totally unexpected.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭stormthecastle

Stardust - great movie in the princess bride vein.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭gargargar

Another good one from the last few years is Kill List.

Also would Dead Man's Shoes count as unnoticed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

blackwave wrote: »
    Once upon a Time in America, Sergio Leone's last film was a box office flop at the time. Because it originally meant to be close to four hours run time but it was edited to little over two hours with huge amounts of cuts made and ended up having massive plotholes. If you can get a copy of the European release it is well worth a look at

I love most of that film especially when they were all kids but I thought the ending lost it a bit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

To take another angle, I'd suggest some forgotten films from mainstream auteurs; particularly those directors with larger than average CVs, where films in their back catalogue have become lost among the more famous / better remembered features. So for example:

Empire of the Sun, Steven Spielberg; In the mid-80s, Spielberg made his first stab at directing less crowdpleasing, blockbuster entertainment - this and 'The Colour Purple' stand out between the ETs, Indiana Jones & Jurassic Parks. With the lead played by a young Christian Bale, it's a gritty POW story in WW2 Singapore, yet being early Spielberg still has that starry-eyed quality of his other early work.

THX-1138, George Lucas; it's crazy to think that before Star Wars, Lucas was known as a plucky, creative indie director. THX-1138 is a dystopian tale that's very typical of the 1970s, bursting with pessimistic energy.

Paths of Glory, Stanley Kubrick; A fantastic anti-war, courtroom drama from Kubrick. A lot more 'standard' than his more famous, more genre specific work such as Shining or 2001, but still a gripping watch. Brilliant central performance from Kirk Douglas, and film itself opens with a spectacular battle scene.

The King of Comedy, Martin Scorsese; a forgotten film that loses out against the likes of Raging Bull or Tax Driver. Jerry Lewis in a rare dramatic role, while DeNiro returns to the 'dangerous psycho' well of acting.

Miller's Crossing, Coen Brothers; When the 'best of' Coen lists pop up, Fargo, No Country for Old Men, Big Lebowski get the plaudits - but for me this is up there with Coen's best work, with a career best performance from Gabriel Byrne. The soundtrack remains quite beautiful.

Insomnia, Christopher Nolan; compared with the grandeur and epic scale of Nolan's later movies, this dark psychological thriller feels positively quaint in comparison. Noteworthy too for occurring during a phase of Robin Williams' career when he was taking on dramatic roles (which reminds me, One Hour Photo is a genuinely forgotten gem from that phase, Williams playing a disturbed shop clerk stalking a normal family).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Herlihy82

Some movies that I really like that are underrated or somewhat forgotten about:

Rives's Edge (1987)
    Blowout (1981) Travolta is superb
    Stir of Echoes (1999)
    Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me (1992)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭p to the e

A great film I saw a few years ago was "Citadel". Genuinely creepy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citadel_(film)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,375 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Out of the furnace, Bale stars inbetween filming Batman movies. Went seriously under the radar at the time, the movie and soundtrack are amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Chef, the Jon Favreau movie was pretty good, and the food looked class. I'd also have a soft spot for Begin Again, the John Carney movie with Keira Knightley and Mark Ruffalo.

Awesome movie

In the same vain, I’d throw Burnt out there. Starring Bradley Cooper as an a**hole chef

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

apologies if these dont meet the obscurity requirements or have been mentioned

gattaca- as good as drama-led 90's scifi got imo

once upon a time in the west- if 'america' qualifies, then we have to make room for this, the greatest western ever made for my money and three of the finest turns ever given in one movie from henry fonda, charles bronson and especially the incredible jason robards

bad lieutenant: port of call new orleans- the movie nic cage was born to make, genius direction from herzog, absolutely mental and so, so, so unexpectedly hilarious

dog soldiers- very nicely made werewolf vs squaddies cult british movie from mid 90s

if youve seen and enjoyed the french connection (and you really should have, obv) then the majority of the crew and a good few of the cast made a very decent cops and robbers flick called "the seven ups" that has style, pacing and what is genuinely a top 5 of all time car chase. roy scheider stars, this is never a bad thing (except jaws sequels)

hardly obscure but seldom referenced these days, the sting is an absolute beaut of a movie, a cracking story expertly told and the cast is a dream- and if you dont know the story going in do yourself a favour and watch it cold. even if you somehow guess it youll still have lots of fun.

"pedant voice" It was 2002.

Southern Comfort, a National Guard squad pisses of some southerners. Probably gets overshadowed by Deliverance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Some of my personal favourite sc-if/mindf*ck movies:

Equilibrium
    Predestination
    Primer
    Cube
    Almanac (good premise, although poorly executed)
    The Jacket

Some unexpectedly great sport movies:

The Fighter
    Warrior

The Gift

Written, directed, produced, and starred by Joel Edgerton, with Jason Bateman.

Really enjoyed it, think it's on Netflix. Oodles of talent that lad (loved him in Warrior) and a lot more to come from him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Love, 2011 by Angels and Airwaves, "It starts in the Civil War and you travel through time and space. There's a couple of different storylines. The main one is, a guy gets sent up to the International Space Station."

full movie is up on youtube,

some random youtube comment under the trailer:
    Alex Castro
    4 years ago
    Movie is not deep and it does not require brain power as some hipsters are claiming... its just a lame movie that has a msg that humans need to connect or we loose our ****, I for one love being alone. My chihuahua is a better companion than most humans I meet. This flick could havr being better if it was 15mins long.
    Joue-la comme Lodoss
    5 months ago
    Still better than Interstellar. :)

I enjoyed it anyway.

edit: i think i under sold it, its ****ing good sci-fi, on youtube, less than 90 mins, check it out,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

Kevin and Perry go large

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Gonad

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    People slag off Kevin Costner for the Waterworld flop. But he's been in many good movies.

One of them was '13 Days'. About the Cuban missile crisis. Most people have never seen it or never heard of it.

He was brilliant as Kenny O'Donnell.

Great movie

• Advertisement

Did anyone see the Dennis Quaid film called Saviour? It's set during the Balkans conflict, not an easy watch but very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Infernum

The Punisher (1989) starring Dolph Lundgren.
    A sadly overlooked gem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Pidae.m wrote: »
    Kevin and Perry go large

top soundtrack mate :):):)

top soundtrack mate :):):)

All I want to do is do it, play the soundtrack that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Ironman76

Ipso wrote: »
    Did anyone see the Dennis Quaid film called Saviour? It's set during the Balkans conflict, not an easy watch but very good.

Yeah saw that about 20 years ago. It’s a rough watch alright but very good.

the scene when he and the baby are hiding from the soldiers and he covers her mouth to muffle her cries accidentally smothering her is heart breaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

One movie always sticks in my mind. Not just for the riding at start but the music and story was great..

Betty blue

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090563/?ref_=nv_sr_1

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭gingergirl

Rudderless starring Billy Crudup directed by William h Mac, on Netflix I think

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Mariac

Tucker and Dale vs Evil - Hilarious comedy in the vein of Shaun of the Dead

The Man from Nowhere - Top Quality South Korean action thriller which nobody has seen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

Event Horizon. Just brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

mad m wrote:
    One movie always sticks in my mind. Not just for the riding at start but the music and story was great..

mad m wrote:
    Betty blue

I still love the soundtrack to this.

Advertisement