Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Guinness Pro14 Season 2018-2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

awec wrote: »
    Leinster are an outlier, you have enough players to field two teams that can be competitive in interpro games.

The other three struggle more. Winning back to back interpros is extremely difficult, not least because they usually happen when there are restrictions on who can be picked.

The point is that there won't be too many restrictions at that stage. Almost no players are still rested by the last week in September. A good few are rested in the last week in October, which is normally when we have the second inter-pro. The provinces should have full squads to chose from, or very, very close to that. The Leinster squad I posted for that Edinburgh game was close to full strength. The only internationals that were missing were the ones who were injured or the ones who had clocked up a good deal of minutes prior to that game. There shouldn't be shadow squads sent anywhere at that stage.

By the same time last season, Best was injured while Henderson and Stockdale were back starting games for Ulster.

I can't see any province choosing to field weakened teams when they are trying to build continuity for the HEC games.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Well, you can call me skeptical, but I don't see provinces fielding first choice teams 4 weeks in a row right before the AIs start.

For starters, I didn't say that we'd have completely full strength teams for all 4 weeks. I said we wouldn't have shadow sides. There's a difference. But here are Leinsters selections for the same 4 weeks last year. SOB, Sexton, Nacewa, Hensahaw, Ringrose and Rob Kearney were all injured for some/all of the 4 weeks. Other than those enforced changes there were very few changes to the line-ups. You are skeptical, but the evidence is there that you have no real reason to be. The Edinburgh selection had some unenforced departures from full strength and the Ulster game after those 4 did too, although there was a core of full strength players over 5 weeks last season.

Leinster vs Edinburgh 29/09/2018

McGrath Cronin Furlong
    Toner Fardy
    Ruddock SOB Murphy

McGrath Sexton
    Reid ROL
    Kearney Carbery McFadden

Byrne, Byrne, Porter, Molony, Deegan, JGP, Byrne, Larmour

Leinster vs Munster 07/10/2018

McGrath Tracy Furlong
    Toner Fardy
    Ruddock Conan VDF

McGrath Sexton
    Henshaw ROL
    Daly Carbery Byrne

Cronin, Healy, Bent, Molony, Murphy, JGP, Byrne, McFadden

Leinster vs Montpellier 14/10/2018

McGrath Tracy Furlong
    Toner Fardy
    Ruddock Conan VDF

McGrath Byrne
    Nacewa Henshaw
    Daly Carbery Byrne

Cronin, Healy, Bent, Molony, Murphy, JGP, Reid, McFadden

Glasgow vs Leinster 21/10/2018

Healy Cronin Furlong
    Toner Fardy
    Ruddock Conan VDF

McGrath Sexton
    Reid Henshaw
    Daly Carbery Byrne

Tracy, McGrath, Bent, Ryan, Leavy, JGP, Byrne, D Kearney

• Registered Users Posts: 11,625 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Well, you can call me skeptical, but I don't see provinces fielding first choice teams 4 weeks in a row right before the AIs start.

Read AI as All Ireland first.. Rugby season has been finished too long haha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

molloyjh wrote: »
    For starters, I didn't say that we'd have completely full strength teams for all 4 weeks. I said we wouldn't have shadow sides. There's a difference. But here are Leinsters selections for the same 4 weeks last year. SOB, Sexton, Nacewa, Hensahaw, Ringrose and Rob Kearney were all injured for some/all of the 4 weeks. Other than those enforced changes there were very few changes to the line-ups. You are skeptical, but the evidence is there that you have no real reason to be. The Edinburgh selection had some unenforced departures from full strength and the Ulster game after those 4 did too, although there was a core of full strength players over 5 weeks last season.

Leinster vs Edinburgh 29/09/2018

McGrath Cronin Furlong
    Toner Fardy
    Ruddock SOB Murphy

McGrath Sexton
    Reid ROL
    Kearney Carbery McFadden

Byrne, Byrne, Porter, Molony, Deegan, JGP, Byrne, Larmour

Leinster vs Munster 07/10/2018

McGrath Tracy Furlong
    Toner Fardy
    Ruddock Conan VDF

McGrath Sexton
    Henshaw ROL
    Daly Carbery Byrne

Cronin, Healy, Bent, Molony, Murphy, JGP, Byrne, McFadden

Leinster vs Montpellier 14/10/2018

McGrath Tracy Furlong
    Toner Fardy
    Ruddock Conan VDF

McGrath Byrne
    Nacewa Henshaw
    Daly Carbery Byrne

Cronin, Healy, Bent, Molony, Murphy, JGP, Reid, McFadden

Glasgow vs Leinster 21/10/2018

Healy Cronin Furlong
    Toner Fardy
    Ruddock Conan VDF

McGrath Sexton
    Reid Henshaw
    Daly Carbery Byrne

Tracy, McGrath, Bent, Ryan, Leavy, JGP, Byrne, D Kearney

I assume those dates should be 2017?

I thought you predicting the fixtures and teams for this season at first glance.

When will the fixtures for 2018 be published?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Still no fixtures. Feck sake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,099 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

They are written somewhere on the scarlets jersey.....

https://twitter.com/scarlets_rugby/status/1020322191848747009?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I presume they're giving those jerseys away free seeing as you're effectively a glorified sandwich board in that (more so than normal).

Hopefully next week. Seems bit odd that there's an outline available to reporters but nothing finalised yet. Guess they're nearly there with them

Eod100 wrote: »
    Hopefully next week. Seems bit odd that there's an outline available to reporters but nothing finalised yet. Guess they're nearly there with them

Pro 14 have just announced they will be releasing dates and ko up to round 17 on Tuesday next. Timing! ☺️

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

https://twitter.com/PRO14Official/status/1020584452882423808

Weirdly it says 2pm UTC. So actually 3pm.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,334 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Ulster's first 6 are:

Scarlets H
    Edinburgh H
    Kings A
    Cheetahs A
    Munster A
    Connacht H

Ulster's first 6 are:

Scarlets H
    Edinburgh H
    Kings A
    Cheetahs A
    Munster A
    Connacht H

3/6 minimum I'd say.

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Some of you may be interested in this

Ends 31st of July, first two months of the new season for 2€

A lot of rugby to be had in this sub.

456287.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Ulster's first 6 are:

Scarlets H
    Edinburgh H
    Kings A
    Cheetahs A
    Munster A
    Connacht H

3/6 minimum I'd say.

I'd be aiming for 18/19 points. Munster and Cheetahs away will be tough but the other 4 are winnable. If we want a top 3 finish that's what we need to be targetting.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Given no head coach, early season variability etc., Kings Away is about the only fixture on that list where I'd be surprised if Ulster lost.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Given no head coach, early season variability etc., Kings Away is about the only fixture on that list where I'd be surprised if Ulster lost.

To be fair apart from the head coach part you could say that about any team in September.

bilston wrote: »
    To be fair apart from the head coach part you could say that about any team in September.

I could indeed. But no other team thus far has statements such as "3/6 minimum" or "I'd be aiming for 18/19 points" associated with it, with regard to a list of 6 pretty challenging games.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭jacothelad

I could indeed. But no other team thus far has statements such as "3/6 minimum" or "I'd be aiming for 18/19 points" associated with it, with regard to a list of 6 pretty challenging games.

I don't think it's the Ulster team making those statements. The posters on here aren't actually playing in the games so what they say has absolutely zero effect on the results....:D:D

The issue isn't whether they impact results (we'd all be very wealthy if they could!), the issue is with how reasonable it is to assume 3+ victories from that fixture list, and I'd be hesitant to deem it so.

Ulster should win every game next season or be shut down.

Come on, three wins from the opening games is surely achievable. I'd regard Kings away and Connacht at home as comfortable wins and they should pick up another from the remaining four.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,334 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I'm happy enough to play Scarlets in the first round. By that stage nobody has any momentum, and teams will still be finding their feet.

bilston wrote: »

I don't see why it is unreasonable to aim for 3 to 4 wins from our first 6 games. To be fair we were unbeaten in our last 5 games last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Will the Scarlets have all their internationals available for that game?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,712 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

LEIN wrote: »
    Some of you may be interested in this

Ends 31st of July, first two months of the new season for 2€

A lot of rugby to be had in this sub.

456287.PNG

Still a lot if u subscribe to both Sky sports and Eir/BT

Is IP TV worth it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,099 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Jeff Hassler still without a club. Think he would be worth a punt for most teams in the league. Ulster in particular given they are short in back 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Jeff Hassler still without a club. Think he would be worth a punt for most teams in the league. Ulster in particular given they are short in back 3.

There are a few good players knocking around unemploydom right now. Tom Heatcote has 3 Scottish Caps at fly half and is doing nothing. He's 26 and never set the world on fire. Might have a slight concussion issue hanging over his head though, not certain.

Are the fixtures out at 2?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Eod100 wrote: »
    Are the fixtures out at 2?

It's saying 2pm UTC, which is 3pm. Although most are taking it up as 2pm.

• Advertisement

errlloyd wrote: »
    There are a few good players knocking around unemploydom right now. Tom Heatcote has 3 Scottish Caps at fly half and is doing nothing. He's 26 and never set the world on fire. Might have a slight concussion issue hanging over his head though, not certain.

Pun not intended!

Advertisement