Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yi Home Camera

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

b.gud wrote: »
    Let me know if it works for you, was planning on trying it myself but haven't had the time, new born baby at home :), to try it out

I'm in the same boat! It's the baby cam I'm modifying :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

is anyone using the paid cloud services? 20 euros for a years sub seems okay, just wondering how people found it?

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭getoffthepot

mossym wrote: »
    is anyone using the paid cloud services? 20 euros for a years sub seems okay, just wondering how people found it?

Hi, What's the benefit of the cloud when it takes a mircosd card?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

So as someone can't just take all the footage by taking the camera and card if they break in.

plus remote access, handy if you travel a lot with work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭getoffthepot

I have the sd card in mine and can access the camera and alert videos remotely without the cloud access.

I have the sd card in mine and can access the camera and alert videos remotely without the cloud access.

really? okay, may not need the cloud access so. probably put mine up this week as i'm finished up for the holidays, will give it a try then

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

really? okay, may not need the cloud access so. probably put mine up this week as i'm finished up for the holidays, will give it a try then

Viewing pictures on the SD card remotely via the app and notifications of course do use a cloud service, though they give this for free.

They also store 6 seconds videos of activity detected in the cloud for free.

If you want longer videos or continuous video recording in the cloud, then they have pay options for that.

All pretty reasonable IMO.

ended up mounting mine pretty low down to cover the area i wanted, so i think i'll fork out the 20 euros for the minimum package, it's pretty easy for someone to screw off the camera from the mount, and cut the power lead and it is gone. i'm tempted to glue the camera onto the mount to prevent someone whipping it, i don't envisage moving it again from where it is

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

ended up mounting mine pretty low down to cover the area i wanted, so i think i'll fork out the 20 euros for the minimum package, it's pretty easy for someone to screw off the camera from the mount, and cut the power lead and it is gone. i'm tempted to glue the camera onto the mount to prevent someone whipping it, i don't envisage moving it again from where it is

Trying to decide on how high to mount this on my house. The spot I have in mind is quite high, certainly high enough to be out of reach of any normal person. But stepping up on a bin would have taken fairly quick. I kind of think if someone is that desperate to do something then I'm goosed either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,179 ✭✭✭✭ted1

You have remote access to the SD card. Also if the cloud is down it still records to the SD card

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

Did you all have to do a bit of work to extend the USB cable length. I havent had time to have a look yet and set it up but had a quick look at you tube videos

ted1 wrote: »
    You have remote access to the SD card. Also if the cloud is down it still records to the SD card

yeah thats the bit i was missing, i assumed cloud was needed for any remote access.

mugsymugsy wrote: »
    Did you all have to do a bit of work to extend the USB cable length. I havent had time to have a look yet and set it up but had a quick look at you tube videos

mine was long enough on the end, it's on the outside of a steel shed and i ran it through the wall and into a socket inside.

i had tested it with a generic usb extension lead i had lying around just in case and it worked just fine

mugsymugsy wrote: »

USB is just 2 cables 5V and 0V very easy to extend it. Just cut it and strip back the red and black and then extend. I used small white terminals

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

So I got mine installed 2 days ago, and it works well. Maybe this camera isn't as good as the other Xiaomi Mijia Dafang camera I've used for a year or more now. One small gripe is that the mount doesn't allow a full 90 degree turn, it's more like 80. Not to worry, I'll see if I can modify it/mount differently a bit later. But the software is good and the image quality is good. Can't complain for the money. I'd be tempted to get another.

Yeah, been running mine for a week now and mixed feelings. Camera is not as good as the ring camera. Not a big deal, it's good enough for what I need.

Bigger issue is the detection triggers, I have the sensitivity set to the lowest setting, have the notifications set to the fewest setting, yet I wake every morning to ~ 10 alerts created by raindrops falling in front of the camera, fair enough they are visible on the screen, but I would have thought they would be ignored given the sensitivity setting.

If I then don't watch each one I get reminders all day about them .I could tell the phone not to notify me, but then I'd miss something I'd want to see.

Bit daft that a single rain drop( or an insect) can set it off at lowest sensitivity. I shudder to think what highest must be like.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

More of a general electrical question... I want to put one of the dome cams up where I currently have ac spotlight fitted.
    They (the camera) run off usb (5v). I don't have it in my possession yet.
    What's best way? Or the most normal way.
    Can you get some type of a adaptor to stick up into the space, like the ones for the 12v spotlights... Except they put out 5v.

jmBuildExt wrote: »
    More of a general electrical question... I want to put one of the dome cams up where I currently have ac spotlight fitted.
    Can you get some type of a adaptor to stick up into the space, like the ones for the 12v spotlights... Except they put out 5v.
    5v is a standard USB connection. So you need a socket.

You can cut the usb cable and extend it easy enough so you could run it anyway

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I simply put a standard plug socket on the end of the AC cable, into which I could then plug the USB adaptor for the Yi camera.

I put the plugs in a waterproof electrical case, all of this is inside a sort of shed and out of sight, so may not work for everyone, just an example of what I did.

• Advertisement

bk wrote: »
    I simply put a standard plug socket on the end of the AC cable, into which I could then plug the USB adaptor for the Yi camera.

I put the plugs in a waterproof electrical case, all of this is inside a sort of shed and out of sight, so may not work for everyone, just an example of what I did.

I was thinking that alright, but a socket on a lighting circuit would be odd, plus i didn't want to have to open the hole in the ceiling anymore than it is.
    What i was hoping for was some kind of existing transformer (e.g used for low voltage lighting) with AC input screw terminals and 5v out. Then hack the usb cable to plug into the 5v output

Anyway - may be a mute point... the missus isn't keen. :)

PS. I posted a while ago about a firmware hack available for these (to make them open). I see the outdoor 1080 camera is now officially listed as supported now.
    Although RTSP is still not available. But there appears to be some new activity in the support threads on that.

Anyone having any trouble with the android app?
    My notifications aren't coming through to android.
    The app itself gets the notification pretty much straight away (or as soon as could be expected considering the round trip to China or wherever that it has to do) it just doesn't come up in the same way as eg a text or Gmail alert comes through. I've checked the app settings on Android, it's not blocked from there. Also the yi app itself seems like it should work.

It used to work when I had the app installed a few months ago, but I had since deleted it and only installed it in the last week when I started using the camera again.
    Cheers

I was thinking that alright, but a socket on a lighting circuit would be odd, plus i didn't want to have to open the hole in the ceiling anymore than it is.
    What i was hoping for was some kind of existing transformer (e.g used for low voltage lighting) with AC input screw terminals and 5v out. Then hack the usb cable to plug into the 5v output

Anyway - may be a mute point... the missus isn't keen. :)

PS. I posted a while ago about a firmware hack available for these (to make them open). I see the outdoor 1080 camera is now officially listed as supported now.
    Although RTSP is still not available. But there appears to be some new activity in the support threads on that.
    Plug it in upstairs and drill a hole through the wall or out a window or something

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Anyone having any trouble with the android app?
    My notifications aren't coming through to android.
    The app itself gets the notification pretty much straight away (or as soon as could be expected considering the round trip to China or wherever that it has to do) it just doesn't come up in the same way as eg a text or Gmail alert comes through. I've checked the app settings on Android, it's not blocked from there. Also the yi app itself seems like it should work.

It used to work when I had the app installed a few months ago, but I had since deleted it and only installed it in the last week when I started using the camera again.
    Cheers
    Got mine yesterday and I dont get any notifications. Alerts are on the app but not notifications.

Kalyke wrote: »
    Got mine yesterday and I dont get any notifications. Alerts are on the app but not notifications.

So im not the only one - Ive tried everything - its nothing to do with app permissions or anything like that as far as i can see on my end.
    Im using android 7.1.1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Kalyke

So im not the only one - Ive tried everything - its nothing to do with app permissions or anything like that as far as i can see on my end.
    Im using android 7.1.1
    I am 7.0 I have emailed Yi support. I was also supposed to get 30 days of Yi Cloud storage but when I try to use it I am asked to enter the "18 digit service code" For the life of me I cannot find any 18 digit code. The OH is not getting Notifications on her phone either and hers is on 8.1.0.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Manzoor14

Having the same issue with notifications here, as is my Uncle. I've tried everything to fix it, including trying different Android versions etc. Looks like everybody has the same issue based on app reviews and other forums. Notifications stopped working a couple of app updates ago I think.

Kalyke wrote: »
    I am 7.0 I have emailed Yi support. I was also supposed to get 30 days of Yi Cloud storage but when I try to use it I am asked to enter the "18 digit service code" For the life of me I cannot find any 18 digit code. The OH is not getting Notifications on her phone either and hers is on 8.1.0.

Must have been something you said :)
    Low and behold, a notification has just come through on my phone.
    Funny thing is the app wasnt updated. The log says it hasnt been updated since 17th Jan.
    Will see if it keeps up.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Manzoor14

Must have been something you said :)
    Low and behold, a notification has just come through on my phone.
    Funny thing is the app wasnt updated. The log says it hasnt been updated since 17th Jan.
    Will see if it keeps up.

Ha just logged on there to post the exact same, two notifications just came through there for me. First time in months its worked!

• Advertisement

Manzoor14 wrote: »
    Ha just logged on there to post the exact same, two notifications just came through there for me. First time in months its worked!
    Yeah seems to be trotting along now - They are actually annoying me now :)

Advertisement