Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Now ye're talking - to a country barman

Options

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 128 Verified rep I'm a country barman, AMA

Is it practical for publicans to drop customers who live in rural areas home, rather than have them risk their own, and others lives, by getting behind the wheel?
    It is and we do it almost every night for no fee. The taxi only works the weekends so the publican or me (Only 2 of us work there) will drive a lot of customers home. At the end of the day they pay my wages and although I don't take any money from them I am still rewarded. There are plumbers, carpenters, car insurance reps, optician, doctor, farmers etc that have given me reduced fee services or free services as well as ,business owners that have donated spot prizes to a charity I am involved in etc.

frag420 wrote: »
    King or tayto?
    Depends which is on offer. Me personally its tayto.

Are you on a tourist route and do you find the tourists do a lot of drink driving
    I am but we dont see too many tourists.The odd few Americans that do stop will generally order glasses of Guinness for the party and a mineral or coffee for the driver.

What kind of behaviour does it take from a punter for you to stop serving them?

Has your personal attitude towards drinking changed for the better or the worse?
    Where I work now it would be very rare to stop someone. But I started in bars 20 years ago and worked in a bar in Limerick City center for a few years.
    If someone is really drunk, on drugs, agressive, hassling women or men, clicking their fingers looking to be served, being rude, etc I would have stopped them. Other bars in the area would have served them.

Has your personal attitude towards drinking changed for the better or the worse?
    For the better working in a country bar. It really is the heart of the community. For the worse in a city bar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭clio_16v

Have you ever had someone **** their underpants and stuff them down behind the toilet? Think it has happened in every pub I worked in

You don't say a whole pile do you?

I normally do lol. I actually had to head to Clare to visit a Gran Aunt that had a bad fall. I'm in the middle of no where on my phone on 2g. Any questions that don't get answered in today will be answered on Friday when I get home.

What time do you actually top serving at?
    10 mins after closing time where I work now. Another county bar I worked in we called last drinks at 3am with no late license.

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    Do you find the shop and Post office actually help your pub business, A man calling over to send a letter/grap a paper and gets a pint when he's at it or would it be quite the opposite.
    It does help. It's mostly people collecting their pension and they spend a lot in the shop. A lot of the items in the shop are catered for the elderly people. (Flour, raisins, buttermilk, breadcrumbs, selection of tracks etc) most would spend about €50 after collecting their pension. A lot of people call at night for milk and a pint.

Is every night a lock-in?

I swear I'm not a cop
    Not for us . Bit for a few others yes

• Advertisement

Do your customers prefer London Dry Gin out of the Gordon's bottle or the Cork bottle?
    Mostly Dingle Gin. But very few drink it. We don't have notions in Country Bars :)

Is there any of the character's left that when they go at the drink they go at it awful and hard?

As in is there anyone in the village that would put away twenty pints of porter in a long session and still make sense?

Did many of the regulars keep drinking Guinness during the hot spell? What did people change to?

What is the biggest tip you ever got?

Do you have a book/slate to 'write that down'?
    None of those characters here. But when I worked in Limerick there was a guy like that. He would drink all day and night about once a month and not get drunk. He got the dry the next morning as well. Most of the business drinkers stay on the Guinness no matter what the weather.
    Biggest tip in money was €50, but like I said in a precious post I get reduced rates for services ranging from plumbing to opticians etc. That is better than any tip

Do you find over the years, that your bar is slowly becoming a cafe?

More people looking for tea and a sandwich instead of a pint or a shot?
    Not here but a lot of bars have that. We don't charge for tea or coffee is there is a drink called with it. Even for strangers. We don't serve food either.

KonFusion wrote: »
    Having spent a few summers working bar in a town of about 1200 in Laois, this is bringing the memories flooding back... which gives me a bunch of questions based on my own experiences :)

Guinness, Murphy's, or Beamish?

Do ye keep a knife next to the taps to scrape the extra foam off the top of pints?

Do any of the staff always ask about the fruit machine in order to track how many losers there's been so they can get a potential easy win?

How you gonna handle cleaning/sanding down the bar now that Good Friday is open for biz?

Do ye have that one lad that you can't get rid of when you've finished up, got everyone else out, and you're ready for bed?

Do you have any aging bottles of After Shock or cocktail pre-mixes collecting dust on a shelf somewhere since the early 2000's that you'd actually be afraid to serve someone since they're so old?

Do you have that one guy that racks up huge tabs every month but mysteriously always gets it paid in the end?

Being a shop & post office as well, is security an issue? I recall myself that there could end up being a lot of money on the premises between bank runs - can't imagine how being a post office would add to that.

Ever let anyone sleep in the bar just because they were a regular and/or too drunk to get home?

Are there any other local bars competing for biz? How do you handle the competition?

Do you do food?
    Only serve Guinness.
    I have in other bars, but it's not needed here. We have a proper cold room and a modern cooling system. On the off chance a Guinness had a high head it would be dumped and started again.

We don't have any try it machines and only me and the owner work there.

The bar is kept in good condition so no need to get 50 people in on good Friday for maintenance when it was illegal to open :)

We don't serve late and the customers know that. If someone tries that every night they would be barred.

We have a few bottles that are there for display and can't be sold lol. There a long time.

There is no tab in the bar I work. But I have seeing it happen over the years. Guys that can't put a shirt on their back can pay a tab of a few €100.

I can't go in to detail with that. It's always at the back of our minds.

Can't let people sleep for a number of reasons. Insurance being the main reason and open to liability. If a customer is that bad we would drive them home.

We are the main bar. Generally we are just until 20 mins before closing. The customers leave and go to the other bars for a late drink. They take all the risk.

eeloe wrote: »
    Is the day shift harder than the evening shift? i'd imagine working in a bar from 11am to 2-3pm is torture, the problems you'd have to listen to......

The day shift is the alcoholics with the same stories over and over. I prefer the night shift. Although the shop is busy by day which is a nice distraction.

josip wrote: »
    Do you have wifi in the pub?

Yes

Do you have a bedside locker?

Whats in said bedside locker?

if you lower the blinds, will you put out the ashtrays?
    Nope, never. We get the customers out early.

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Are you legit with sky or have you found some cheap dodgy box solution?

Not judging, sky charge far too much so more power to you if you get an alternative
    100% legit. The boss had it for 15 years and cancelled it 2 years ago hoping they would come back with a better deal. In the 15 years with sky no one ever called from sky. Within a week of cancelling a stranger called and ordered a lot of tea, he asked a lot of questions. I was on duty at the time and told him he was welcome to look around. 2 days later a rep called with an ever so slightly better deal.

Have you ever had to deal with members of the travelling community getting obstreperous and if so, how did you deal with them?

Whats the most you've ever seen someone drink in a single sitting and were they still compos mentis by the end?

Best thing about your job?

Worst thing about your job?

Would you always ask for ID if its a borderline underage fella or just give them the benefit of the doubt?

Whats your tipple of choice?

Do you frequent the pub you work in when you are not working and if not, why not?

Not where I work now. But when I started barwork they would call to the bar every now and then. It was much easier to stop them then.we just said regulars only. I worked in another bar covering a few shifts in Limerick City. The owner served them but barred on that glassed someone. He called a week later and was refused service. An hour later the windows were smashed by some one. I have heard some horror stories from other bar staff.

Yes about 20 pints and 5 whiskeys. It was like they had no drink.

The discounts I get from customers.

Listening to the alcoholics same story over and over.

Where I work now if a young fella came in chances are I know his parents.He could be 17 and get served. A stranger at 19 could be stopped for having no id.

Carlsberg and Jameson.

The odd time. I work a few nights and don't want to be there on my night off. It's also 10k on a dark road with no taxis. My wife is new house driving that road in the dark to collect me.

josip wrote: »
    Do you have any/many patrons with more than 1 All Ireland?
    That's actually true if you include minor.

• Advertisement

B-D-P-- wrote: »
    "Now ye're talking - To yourself"

:D
    :) Brilliant. My apologies.It was explained in a previous post.

My Guinness needs topping up lads , wait ye're turn!

Does everyone at the bar always turn around when someone walks in?
    What's the worst case of stinge you've seen in a round scenario? Do rounds still exist even?
    Yep where I work they do. If a stranger walks in they ask me who they are. Rounds are popular in a country bar. But if you tried to stinge the whole town would read you. So it doesn't really happen.

Do you think the Healy Raes are gombeens or the ultimate cute hoors?

That is so hard to answer. I'm originally from Limerick and have lived Kerry for the last 10 years.

Growing up in Limerick we thought Jackie Healy Rae was a comedian. My views have changed a bit since then. I still think some of the stiff thats said is rubbish. But I agree with some. I'm tired not and it's being a long day. I will answer this in more detail on Friday.

Is the pub cozy just like the caravan in father Ted????

Have you ever done a lovely girl competition?

Do many pull up in their tractors to have a few?

Have you ever had anyone famous in?

A bit more spacious lol.

Nope.

Not a chance, the guards would know straight away. They did a few years ago.

We had a famous guy in on his way to Dingle. I can't think of his name though. But he spend a lot of time in Dingle and was in a move with Will Ferrel where they are step brothers. No one batted an eyelid. Now if the gooch had came in it would be a different story.

Do many of your customers come in by tractor?

Not any more.

Maybe the next "Now ye're talking" should be with a Freemason, given the level of interaction with this guy.

That was done.no one spotted it.

No really, what time do you close at? Would I get a late one on my way back from the dihsco in town if I knew the knock? Couple of cans take out for the house, shur you'll come down yourself after?
    Not here but in another bar I worked in yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

- Do ye have card nights.....and if so 45 or Poker?

- Has PubSpy ever visited?

- Have you ever met PubSpy?

Hope the Gran Aunt recovers quickly!

Is there a fire?

How many can the pub legally hold?

What are the toilet facilities like?

Please tell me you use urinal cakes..... Love the smell of them.
    I'm not actually sure how many we can hold. Il check with boss.

There was an extension put on recently. The pub is still fairly small by city standards but there are brand new toilets including disabled toilets. Before the extension the tiling was a bit dated but immulacate.

• Advertisement

whats the most unusual request you have gotten?

Quickie in the toilet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement