Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now ye're talking - to a country barman

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 128 Verified rep I'm a country barman, AMA

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Do you have any change for the pool table?

Don't have one.

Esel wrote: »
    What time do you open?

9am for the shop and post office Monday to Saturday.10.30 for the bar Monday to Saturday.12 on a Sunday

5rtytry56 wrote: »
    Of the 3 cities Limerick, Cork and Dublin

Who do you prefer people to be from the most?

Limerick my home County. But I have met good and bad from each County.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Would you consider buying or taking over the pub once the owner retires or if it's ever a possibility?

Do you serve the longest waiting customer or do what many do and serve that last person to arrive at the bar.

It's a country bar. So even on a busy night we know who has being waiting the longest and serve them 1st.

• Advertisement

Who's the biggest roide in the village.

Me

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Do ye take card payments? Do you not get sick of the late nights? Which toilets are mankier, mens or womens? What would you say the average age of the patrons is?

Yes we do in the shop and bar.

I don't have late nights luckily. Hone by 12.15 on a week night incl the 10 min drive home and 1.15 on Fri and Sat night incl the 10 min drive home.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭emo72

Mate, your not a swinger, not a prostitute, haven't had an affair. Your up against it in fairness. Seriously pulling a perfect pint is no comparison.

Lia_lia wrote: »
    ? Which toilets are mankier, mens or womens? What would you say the average age of the patrons is?
    The toilets are spotless. But generally speaking the men's are worse. Average age is a out 45

Alpha_zero wrote: »
    I would imagine a significant amount of people have worked in bar nothing special.

How is minimum wage treating you, seriously though the questions people are answering i'm guessing he thinks they are rhetorical.

I was hoping a question like this would come up. When i started bar work it was still a bit of a trade. You collected glasses for a few months if you had a way with the customers you would be trained behind the bar. Almost anyone can get a job now with no experience. But if you have the experience you can make a good wage if you look hard enough.

I work hard and we are a busy bar. But I get paid well. I have 4 children and i take them to Florida every year with the wife. I'm not entitled to a FIS payment as my wages are over the threshold.

I have turned down a lot of job offers in the last few years as i am happy where I am. I dont want to come across as cocky. But if you work hard at any job you can make a good wage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Having seen how the industry works, would you buy a pub yourself?

Ever witness any locals having an affair or walk in on funny business taking place in the toilets?

Not in a bar but in a 5 star hotel I worked in. 2 women.

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Still trying to figure out how to plug his typewriter into the telly?

Have you not heard of this new fax machine.

What shifts do you rather Mr barman....?

Night shifts. Less alcoholics with the same stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Having worked in a bar in the north west that had questionable clientele I want to ask the barman from here on in known as Norm about the fights he witnessed, the various nuances only seen and recognised by a barman, They say a drunk man(as I am now, lets be honest) speaks a true man!what did you see or hear that made you really think that you should intervene, be that personally or with the help of third party such as the police. Don't mean to sound cocky when I say only seen and heard by a bar person, if you worked in a bar then you know what I mean, if your credit or debit card bills reads like a list of random people but are in fact bars...you too know what I mean.

Some of the things i witnessed included...

A guy takes one of those old heavy glass ashtrays with the jagged edges and smash it into his brothers jaw because they both fancy the same pregnant woman who is already with someone else!!

People selling the meth that they get on prescription in the bar,

Hopeless alcoholics.Those that just do the rounds, bar to bar, the same short sweet drink, be it vodka lemonade, gin and orange, whiskey 7up, in and out, buy drink, bam , on to next place...

I could go on but would love to hear some stories from the op...

Try_harder wrote: »
    Does the bar open weekdays?

Yep.7 days a week.

Again my apologies.i know there was a few questions I have missed and will answer them in the morning or Friday evening. Other questions I will go in to more detail with.

Like I said there was a bit of a family emergency and I had to head to Clare on short notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,785 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Again my apologies.i know there was a few questions I have missed and will answer them in the morning or Friday evening. Other questions I will go in to more detail with.

Like I said there was a bit of a family emergency and I had to head to Clare on short notice.

You're grand out, talk to you later.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,244 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Fair play for taking the time to answer the questions, not the easiest thing to have to do after a long day on the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Quickie in the toilet.

And...??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Do you like a pint yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

Mod should just delete this it's looking like a epic fail

Whole point of AMA is to have someone available to answer questions straight through for at least an hour

to be fair not everyone is online all the time

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,196 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Is there any demand for craft beer, or do you serve the usual Diageo/Coors/Heinieken?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

There is no tab in the bar I work.

Blasphemy

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Ah here, you could wait to announce until you knew AMA person was available!
    Mod should just delete this it's looking like a epic fail

Whole point of AMA is to have someone available to answer questions straight through for at least an hour

Just on a point of order, the "whole point" of an AMA is for a volunteer to answer questions - in their own time. Never have we expected people to be available at a particular time of day or for a particular amount of time. Immediate answers are not required. People have lives, things come up (as with OP yesterday) and real life often takes priority, as it should.

I'm addressing this here to avoid any misconceptions for people who might be thinking of volunteering to do one.

If you have any questions about this post or want to reply to me, please PM me, let's not take away from the AMA any more.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,052 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Auld boy comes in and asks for top shelf. What have ya got?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Are ye worried about being identified? Can't be that many POs in Kerry with a bar attached?

Maybe enough for doubt, but I see you're being careful in answers so perhaps anticipated this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

How much is a pint of Guinness?

What would be the average weekly takings? Say during a decent week.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

What whiskys have you got and which one is your biggest seller? Also what id the most poular way of taking it: red lemonade, ice, drop of water, neat, with coke ...etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Om your night off would you go to your workplace for a few, or go somewhere else?
    The last person you barred, what was the reason?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement