Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread X: [****]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

I'm not too sure about this Joe Tomane lad's credentials as a 12. Am I right in thinking that he never played inside centre before moving to Montpellier? Playing a few games there in the retirement league that is the Top14 doesn't count for much in my book.

What kind of a player is he? Is he a dependable defender who can be trusted to put in a lot of physical tackles, like Robbie Henshaw, say? Or is he inclined to slip off a few?

Does he have the nous in attack to fix his defender and time the pass correctly?

I just wonder whether switching McFadden into 12 would have been a better option - that would have opened up more gametime on the wing for Daly as well.

Time will tell

• Registered Users Posts: 11,282 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I'm not too sure about this Joe Tomane lad's credentials as a 12. Am I right in thinking that he never played inside centre before moving to Montpellier? Playing a few games there in the retirement league that is the Top14 doesn't count for much in my book.

What kind of a player is he? Is he a dependable defender who can be trusted to put in a lot of physical tackles, like Robbie Henshaw, say? Or is he inclined to slip off a few?

Does he have the nous in attack to fix his defender and time the pass correctly?

I just wonder whether switching McFadden into 12 would have been a better option - that would have opened up more gametime on the wing for Daly as well.

Time will tell
    Was he brought in to play 12?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

salmocab wrote: »
    Was he brought in to play 12?

Oh, I'd say so, primarily. I mean, there's no need/space elsewhere. Although, of course, he could end up playing some games on the wing. Perhaps the breakdown by position will be similar to Nacewa in his last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,174 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I would imagine he'll shift around as required. He didn't play in the centre at all before the T14 but played plenty after going to France in the T14 and the ECC both of which are comfortably of a higher standard than the run of the mill Pro14 games. The only way he plays in a high level match for Leinster in the centre is if Ringrose or Henshaw is injured and, if that's the case, I'm grand with him as a back up. He's more than capable of slotting in on the wing as a starter at any level we play this season too.

I expect him to play 12 in some Pro14 games when the international players are unavailable or possibly at 13 with ROL or Reid playing inside him. Regardless, I've few concerns over him wherever he is lining out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Time will tell

I’m a big fan of Fergs but in all honesty I’d prefer to see Noel Reid at 12 than Ferg. Tomane has always impressed both in defence and attack when he’s played for Montpelier against us. He may not be on Isa’s level (who is), but he’ll be a step up on what we have. Though I could say ROL playing 12 with Tomane outside him.

• Advertisement

Presume we'll be lucky to get some random facebook stream of the pre season game this Friday. I'd imagine it will be a 30 man squad with Ruddock in as captain.

When is VDF due back does anyone know?

Taking the wife and kids to the Newcastle game - will be great having NH rugby back albeit I watched a lot more super rugby this year than previous years. Super rugby final was quite one sided, would love to see how Leinster would fare against the Crusaders.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

durthacht wrote: »
    Do any of you have thoughts on how likely are the Leinster Academy year 3 backs to see game time this year? I'm thinking of

Of those, Keenan and Jimmy O'Brien seem to have done well for the 7s but have barely played for the seniors for the seniors. This is due to be their last academy year so I guess it's now or never, but the competition in Leinster's backs is pretty intense.

I'm interested as Keenan and the O'Briens were on the 2016 junior world cup finalist team and I thought then that they would make it at senior level. It's always tough to tell I suppose.

I'm also surprised none of them (or Nash in Munster) have been linked with Ulster, who are short of numbers even with Spreight joining. They have been some of the best performing under age backs in Ireland in recent years and there seems a clearer pathway in Ulster.

Keenan and JOB have become pretty integral parts of the 7s squad. With the world series qualification and the Olympics the 2 short/ medium term goals, I can see them focusing on that this year and be released at the end of this year from the Academy and hopefully their 7s career succeeds.

Jack Kelly showed reasonable promise at underage I remember but wasn't exactly prodigious. Had a disappointing season last year with injuries.

Looks like it might be a straight shoot out between COB and Tom Daly for the squad 12 role. Both similar size and weight. COB looks like he might have a bit more to his skill set. Quite possible that neither of them make it. Gavin Mullen (capped likely due to injuries to both above) and Tommy O'Brien both could prove themselves to be options at 12 also

Venjur wrote: »
    Presume we'll be lucky to get some random facebook stream of the pre season game this Friday. I'd imagine it will be a 30 man squad with Ruddock in as captain.

When is VDF due back does anyone know?

Taking the wife and kids to the Newcastle game - will be great having NH rugby back albeit I watched a lot more super rugby this year than previous years. Super rugby final was quite one sided, would love to see how Leinster would fare against the Crusaders.

Given he's only running a few weeks I would say he's targeting an October come back.

http://www.the42.ie/jordi-murphy-van-der-flier-inspiration-3995595-May2018/

He said here he is aiming for September.

Given when he started running I think (with literally no medical knowledge or info to back it up) that October is more likely

• Registered Users Posts: 8,072 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Losing guys to 7's isn't ideal. Why would they be cut? J.O.B appears to be a very good player, surely he wouldn't be stuck as 7's player.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,072 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Keenan is a natural successor to Ferg/ D.K. I think it's madness to just let them go. Why even play 7's if you are not going to the pro ranks?
    Jack Kelly from what I have seen is not as good as Keenan and J.O.B.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 125 ✭✭CowGoesMoo100

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Keenan is a natural successor to Ferg/ D.K. I think it's madness to just let them go. Why even play 7's if you are not going to the pro ranks?
    Jack Kelly from what I have seen is not as good as Keenan and J.O.B.
    Don't rate Keenan at all.Kelly is way better than him IMO.Can't really compare him to JOB though. Different positions.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Is international 7s pro?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,632 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Sexton is the new Leinster captain and Ruddock the new vice-captain.

Clegg wrote: »

https://twitter.com/leinsterrugby/status/1026853913553788929?s=19

Initially was a bit unsure as Sexton hardly lines out for us.

But he was capped 12 times last season and Isa was only capped 15 so it evened out ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭VANG1

According to breaking news planning has been approved for the RDS

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

VANG1 wrote: »
    According to breaking news planning has been approved for the RDS

It's effectively a renewal of an expiring permission. Is development still expected to commence next summer.

An extra c. 740 seats ain't all that exciting but I just hope the comfort and viewing experience are greatly improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Is international 7s pro?

I think it's semi-pro. Majority of the players are in the academy system/extended provincial squads.

Not sure what kind of money the likes of Terry Kennedy, Dardis etc would be on now that they've been released.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

So Johnny's captain for the season, with Rhys as vice captain.

I'm not too convinced on that decision to be honest. He's obviously a leader and one of the head honchos of the squad, but with his reputation with refs (due to being a flyhalf who are always moanbags) and also due to potentially being rested because of the RWC it's a strange one.

• Administrators Posts: 53,335 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I am surprised tbh, always felt Sexton was too mouthy/whingey to be an effective captain.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I always felt he'd be more of a 'lead by example' type of a leader. Someone who could lift the performance of other players.

That doesn't make him an effective captain essentialily. Personally think swapping the two choices would have been the right move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,105 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Apparently lifestyle in town have a dummy ready with new jersey but it is covered over. Will have wander by in morning to see if a sneak peak is possible

• Registered Users Posts: 23,781 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

awec wrote: »
    I am surprised tbh, always felt Sexton was too mouthy/whingey to be an effective captain.

"I know you hate me, but you have to talk to me" JS June 2018.

I'm sure today's news will have M. P. Gauzere rolling his eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,951 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Clegg wrote: »

https://twitter.com/leinsterrugby/status/1026853913553788929?s=19

Surprised at that TBH. I wonder if Rhys' injury issues are the reason he wasn't made Captain outright. I really hope he can stay healthy this year and make the 23 for the WC. Easily the best 6 playing for the last ~2 seasons.

Rhy's is vice because Sexton rarely plays for Leinster and Ruddock will be looking for every minute he can get.

Regardless, Captains pick themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Home - Blue (same as off field)
    Away - Dark Green/Black
    European- Navy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

kmart6 wrote: »
    Home - Blue (same as off field)
    Away - Dark Green/Black
    European- Navy

Rumour, or you've seen it?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Dark Green/Black :confused:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Dark Green/Black :confused:

That should be interesting. The only similar coloured Leinster jersey that I can remember is the one vs the Reds.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Yeah finding it hard to put a colour on it tbh, you'll see tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It just seems a pretty wild departure from our standard white away jersey. Maybe whoever had a hand in that black/green Ireland jersey we wore against SA is involved...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement