Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now Ye're Talking - to a rural county councillor

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,006 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The most common one is where "single mother" applies for house. Two kids. He's after breaking up with her and doesn't pay towards the kids. She gets house and all of a sudden they're back together but he's not living there, just staying there 7 nights a week. Or some are so blatant, she applies, gets sorted and he just moves in and says nothing. So you'd say well why don't you report it, well because he'd just move out, for a while and then he'd be back.
    Far be it from me to show some support for FF, but did Seamus Brennan ever get to implement his fairly sensible idea of not penalising people for living together? Why would we want to incentivise instability?

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/ff-plan-to-help-single-parents-out-of-welfare-trap-26277036.html

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

*Answers*
    Cake or Pie?...... Can I have both?

Cheers for the responses, i like the idea of a mixed cake pie :cool:

On LEO - My own view is he is fiercly overrated in ability and skill for the position in office he holds, he has been lacking in every position he has held and even most recently with the disaster around the smear test and false promises to folks like Vicky Phelan.

Assuming that no one in FG know you personally for doing this AMA, would you say given Varadker's current performance that he is competent?

Who would you believe would be a better leader (assumiung none of the old guard were picked especially Noonan)?

If you were to defect to another party would it most likely be FF, if not then independant or who else?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I think my very important question was missed.
    Seems like a pretty thankless job to me. Are there perks? Do you get free Ed Sheeran tickets or an extra scoop of chips in the chipper?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,974 ✭✭✭Bredabe

What kind of training do canvassers and candidates get?
    Last locals, I could not believe some of the behaviour/attitudes on display from both canvassers and candidates.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Lawlesz

Hi, thanks for doing this AMA, very interesting and I'm sure you're busy enough as it is.

I had 2 questions, kind of. I was wondering what your thoughts are on TDs salaries, especially in comparison to the average household income. No doubt it is a demanding job, and everyone feels they're entitled to your time. But do you feel that a newly elected TD is deserving of the 87,000 salary, plus whatever other extras they get in expenses or ministerial posts? Genuinely interested in your answer here, please don't take it as a leading question. I just wonder how in touch they can be with the plight of a struggling family when their own salary allows them to live in relative comfort.

It's something that really hit me after seeing one of the prime time episodes on the waiting lists for sick kids that was broadcast a few years back, and it made me wonder how a minister for health can justify earning the guts of 100k while kids are confined to beds because they can't get the treatment they need. If I was in charge at the top of that chain of command I would definitely have feelings of guilt and doubts about my suitability for the job.

My second question is kind of related. I worked for an old farmer on school holidays and one time asked if he was voting in an upcoming election. He said he never voted because he refused to believe that any politician wasn't in it for themselves. It reminds me of the old Billy Connolly line about how a desire to be a politician should automatically exclude you from being one.

I wouldn't be quite as cynical and think most, if not all, get involved in politics for the right reasons but how easy do you think it is to get corrupted by the money. I would have thought there's many a politician who put themselves out there for the right reasons, but once elected becomes part of the establishment and plays it safe and their main focus is on keeping the seat (and salary). How common would that be in your opinion?

Thanks again, really enjoying this thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,006 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Lawlesz wrote: »
    My second question is kind of related. I worked for an old farmer on school holidays and one time asked if he was voting in an upcoming election. He said he never voted because he refused to believe that any politician wasn't in it for themselves. It reminds me of the old Billy Connolly line about how a desire to be a politician should automatically exclude you from being one.
    That's just a cop out by your old farmer. Even if they all have a corrupt motivation, by not voting, you're still letting your neighbours choose which of the corruptly motivated politicians get power.

• Company Representative Posts: 57 Verified rep I'm a rural county councillor, AMA

Cheers for the responses, i like the idea of a mixed cake pie :cool:

On LEO - My own view is he is fiercly overrated in ability and skill for the position in office he holds, he has been lacking in every position he has held and even most recently with the disaster around the smear test and false promises to folks like Vicky Phelan.

Assuming that no one in FG know you personally for doing this AMA, would you say given Varadker's current performance that he is competent?

Who would you believe would be a better leader (assumiung none of the old guard were picked especially Noonan)?

If you were to defect to another party would it most likely be FF, if not then independant or who else?
    You're welcome.

In relation to Leo being overrated, please tell me what you expect from a Taoiseach/Minister?

Perhaps by the measures that you set out, many of the politicians in this country are overrated but I think it's a lazy, too easy comment to throw out.

In terms of Fine Gael, have we ever been higher in the polls? (I hate polls, they are a pain in the backside but just to make a point) and this is largely down to Leo. He's clearly rated by some?

My overall point is, it's wrong to expect the country to be a different place on the strength of one man in just two years. The same man hardly had any longer in any of his ministries.

You'll have to enlighten me on what false promises were made on the smear tests? It's hardly Leo's fault if mediation/mitigation broke down or didn't work? The Taoiseach, while a powerful individual, can not do everything.

Leo is absolutely competent, history will be the ultimate judge, but show me a different party leader in Ireland right now that is more competent, and if you say Mary Lou I'll eat my own keyboard.

Donohoe, Murphy, Bruton (although old) Harris, all capable of being a leader but at the moment couldn't see them out performing Leo.

You need to understand, the most local FF organisation to me, save for one councillor are the worst description of people imaginable, I would never jump ship to FF. I don't think I would ever join another party, ever.

• Company Representative Posts: 57 Verified rep I'm a rural county councillor, AMA

I think my very important question was missed.
    Interestingly, I was getting a haircut the other day and there was at least 5 young fellas ahead of me and the barber called me ahead of them! I was delighted.

Sometimes the chairmen/mayor will get invited to some of the big events but other than that there aren't really that many perks.

If I think of one I'll come back to you

Bredabe wrote: »
    What kind of training do canvassers and candidates get?
    Last locals, I could not believe some of the behaviour/attitudes on display from both canvassers and candidates.
    Ah my friend! You ask a brilliant question.

In my experience canvassers do not get any formal training as such. First you go along a few times as a kind of leaflet holder and morale support, listen to the conversations, issues etc. and eventually you graduate to have them yourself. (It's very repetitive)

When I first ran we got a one day course in canvasing/social media etc but it wasn't overly detailed.

Would love to hear some of your examples?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭mikemac2

A huge issue it seems for councilllors is they get passed over for running for TD.

You “serve your time”, work hard doing donkey work for years and the relation of the retiring TD gets the nod. I’m thinking of when Michael Smith retired in the old Tipp North and or recently a long time FF chap in Dublin West got bumped by a 26 year old Jack Chambers

Ever see fellow councilors lose the head and go mad over this? Might happen to you one day. :( Hope not but you never know

• Advertisement

Lawlesz wrote: »
    Hi, thanks for doing this AMA, very interesting and I'm sure you're busy enough as it is.

I had 2 questions, kind of. I was wondering what your thoughts are on TDs salaries, especially in comparison to the average household income. No doubt it is a demanding job, and everyone feels they're entitled to your time. But do you feel that a newly elected TD is deserving of the 87,000 salary, plus whatever other extras they get in expenses or ministerial posts? Genuinely interested in your answer here, please don't take it as a leading question. I just wonder how in touch they can be with the plight of a struggling family when their own salary allows them to live in relative comfort.

It's something that really hit me after seeing one of the prime time episodes on the waiting lists for sick kids that was broadcast a few years back, and it made me wonder how a minister for health can justify earning the guts of 100k while kids are confined to beds because they can't get the treatment they need. If I was in charge at the top of that chain of command I would definitely have feelings of guilt and doubts about my suitability for the job.

I wouldn't be quite as cynical and think most, if not all, get involved in politics for the right reasons but how easy do you think it is to get corrupted by the money. I would have thought there's many a politician who put themselves out there for the right reasons, but once elected becomes part of the establishment and plays it safe and their main focus is on keeping the seat (and salary). How common would that be in your opinion?

Thanks again, really enjoying this thread
    TD's Salaries

It's a question we get asked all the time and just to make you aware, a TD's salary is 93,000 before expenses or committees are taken into consideration. I know a lot of TD's. Some are absolutely earning their salaries, and some are not. Remember every TD employs at least one other person if not two or three and although this is not funded out of their salaries it's just something to consider. Remember, I'm a rural Cllr, the TD's I'm closest to all had mortgages, childcare, cars to run, before they were elected, in fact many TD's run their campaigns on the basic platform that "They're one of us" so to say this line of can they really understand the plight of struggling families... yes of course they can.

I remember a former TD's young son, (aged around 8) at the time saying he didn't want his dad to retain his seat, cause at least then he'd see him more often. I don't mean that to sound like an X-Factor sob story, but people completely underestimate the workload and the time consumption of the role of a TD. In saying all of that, it's pretty hard to watch TD's get paid that amount of money and yet councillors get less than a quarter of that so I'd have no issue in a TD's salary being decreased if it meant redressing the balance. Now, the real joke shop is the salary of a senator. They should not be paid nearly 70k. No way. And I'm sure an AMA senator would make their case for their salary, but the facts are simply this, they get none of the hassle, they get all the Perks, and some of them are oxygen thieves.

Corrupted by the money...

Well, you have to remember, there are more reasons than that, to want to keep your seat as a priority.

I almost packed in the council in 2016, I was in a very bad place and only for my colleagues rallying around me I would have quit. Well that, and I felt an unbelievable responsibility to serve the people that elected me. I honestly felt there was nobody willing to replace me....were there people good enough to replace me, yes, capable, yes, but nobody willing and I had a duty to do the job they put me in. I think TD's have a similar outlook, they've been given a seat by the people and they are willing to play it safe at times "to keep their seat" because they are still the best person for the job. That might be an egotistical way to look at it, but I'm sure it's genuine. Will TD's vote a certain way (On water, abortion, pylons etc) to save their seat? Yes, but is that being corrupted by the money? I am not so sure. Remember they have families to support too, and don't always have the skills or qualifications to go into business etc. I know many of them are teachers on career breaks, and could go back to that, but if you had the job security of a teacher, why in gods name would you want to surrender yourself to be at the beck and call of the general public?

I can tell you with certainly, the money might seem like the best perk, it might seem like it's all anybody really wants, but you're literally giving your day to day life to people. I hope that's not a cliche but if you got into politics for the money, you wouldn't last a wet week, not a hope.

mikemac2 wrote: »
    A huge issue it seems for councilllors is they get passed over for running for TD.

You “serve your time”, work hard doing donkey work for years and the relation of the retiring TD gets the nod. I’m thinking of when Michael Smith retired in the old Tipp North and or recently a long time FF chap in Dublin West got bumped by a 26 year old Jack Chambers

Ever see fellow councilors lose the head and go mad over this? Might happen to you one day. :( Hope not but you never know
    Very interesting question!

Yes I've seen this happen, but political parties are machines. The politicians care about the people, but the number crunchers in the parties want bums on seats. It wouldn't matter if it was homer Simpsons Lighting Rod thing that ran for election, if they were thought to have the best chance, they'd run that person.

Anybody that really wanted to run for TD in a political party would do the following;

1. Build the local branch membership up in time (most parties have a two year membership voting rule)
    2. Have your numbers ready for convention.
    3. Be unbeatable.

That would get you on the ticket and then what would happen?

Well, the former TD Mr. Ballymagash, well his grandson who was the local GAA secretary and a minister for the eucharist in the parish would be added to the ticket and you have no idea how much Irish people love a political dynasty!

You see councillors all the time who have the ambition, but some of them need to be realistic and know that while they are good workers, the public like the look, sound, feel of someone else.

The party machine OFTEN gets it wrong and gender quotas messed up a lot of people, but politics is a nasty business and a lot of the time your own are worse than the opposition!

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

You're welcome.

In relation to Leo being overrated, please tell me what you expect from a Taoiseach/Minister?

Perhaps by the measures that you set out, many of the politicians in this country are overrated but I think it's a lazy, too easy comment to throw out.

In terms of Fine Gael, have we ever been higher in the polls? (I hate polls, they are a pain in the backside but just to make a point) and this is largely down to Leo. He's clearly rated by some?

My overall point is, it's wrong to expect the country to be a different place on the strength of one man in just two years. The same man hardly had any longer in any of his ministries.

You'll have to enlighten me on what false promises were made on the smear tests? It's hardly Leo's fault if mediation/mitigation broke down or didn't work? The Taoiseach, while a powerful individual, can not do everything.

Leo is absolutely competent, history will be the ultimate judge, but show me a different party leader in Ireland right now that is more competent, and if you say Mary Lou I'll eat my own keyboard.

Donohoe, Murphy, Bruton (although old) Harris, all capable of being a leader but at the moment couldn't see them out performing Leo.

You need to understand, the most local FF organisation to me, save for one councillor are the worst description of people imaginable, I would never jump ship to FF. I don't think I would ever join another party, ever.

At a minimum i would expect a pure honesty, that seems to be like a non existant skill for most politicians. We get flaunted unrealistic expectations, blame at every corner against everyone else, with lack of taking responsibility.

I would rather a minister/leader say that there are major problems from X, Y, Z instead of blaming a person or group. I believe that most of the country while they may not like the answer recieved would appreciate it more as it would be easier to digest. Political answers should be reserved for other politicans or heads of state, not for the general public.

Leo promised Vicky Phelan that no one caught up in the smear issue would end up in court and would be resolved through mediation, now he is stating that some might have to go to court, again this goes back to realistic expectations and making cheques verbally that he can't cash. While i accept he can't do everything, he should then say that he may not have a remit or ability to help but would do all he could (then actually deliver on helping). Again this might not be an answer folks want to see but would be realistic.

As a citizen, i don't believe Leo is competent in any aspect of roles hes carried out. However he is not the only one who seems to be having this difficulty, there are alot of people in roles for which they have no element of expereince in prior to having the role. Its like having a football team made up of sanitation crew and builders, you put them into vital positions believing they can contribute effectively but in the end as they have no training or experience, they will ultimately fail. They also lack in hte ability ot make the hard calls, such as higher tax for higher earners, taking proper action against tax dodgers such as Bono and his ilk.

As for who is a competent leader, i dont think any of the current political leaders are the right person. From FG, Charlie Flanagan or Simon Covney might be worth investing as a leader. For Fianna Failure, i have no time for dynasty families such as the Haughey's or Cowen's, Brian Cowen put this country on its knees and hung even his closest allies so ive no doubt that Barry can live up to his brothers reputation. Micky Martin is bout as much use as a sunroof on a submarine, the only semi reasonable member of that party from my view is Stephen Donnelly.

I think maybe its time for a truely new direction party and not a bunch of clowns in Renua, as the others are non existant and seems the majority power lies with independants now.

Anyhow, cheers for your inputs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,286 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Collie D wrote: »
    Sorry, few more questions...

1. Have you ever witnessed or been involved in any "**** you, Deputy Stagg" type scenarios at council meetings? Are you able to give details? Obviously not looking for specifics which may identify you or your council.

2. Is your council twinned with any foreign councils? Have you been on any junkets? If so, how was it? Boring meetings and tours of French cheese makers while staying at an Ibis or a few days of fine eating and drinking in fancy hotels?

3. Do you get on with your fellow councillors outside of party politics?

4. Ever lost or been threatened with removal of the party whip? Or abstained or voted against the party line due to personal choice?

5. Are you an actual Boards user or were you approached to sign up specifically for this AMA?

Thanks again.

Hi
    Just wondering if you missed these. If you don't want to answer, no worries.

Thanks again

Hi

Thanks again
    Hi Collie D,

I can only apologise, I did see this, thought I had replied. If I did, I hope my answer today is same as last time lol!!!

So,

1. F U Deputy Stagg:

I've never used foul language in the council chamber but I have said "unparliamentary" terms that caused a bit of uproar, but nothing really major.

2. Junketts/Twinning

Yes, like most councils we have various Twinings in the county. I've seen plenty of them come over here but I haven't been over there, and every year the Chair is invited to NYC for Patrick's Day. I was in NYC once. I certainly wouldn't call it boring but it wasn't free time or a holiday. It was lots of networking and making connections. A few pints for sure, but for the most part its brunches, lunches, meetings, speeches and of course Mass!. Would you call it work? No, to be fair I wouldn't, but it was certainly worthwhile and one of the few perks of the job. Oh and just to be clear, my flights and accommodation were paid for but if you bring a partner you have to pay for them yourself.

3. Fellow Councillors

Yes, there are a few I avoid because they are just terrible people but in general you could have a genuine conversation with most of them.

4. Haven't lost the whip, yet, lol. I have never abstained on any vote. Have once or twice expressed contrary views to my party colleagues, particularly on matters of conscience etc. but at council level, the "national" conversations and our votes on them don't usually make a difference. (e.g councils voting on Irish water notices of motion or Abortion etc.) They might be useful to show the public whether or not their councillor is "In touch" with the people. But usually it's parties trying to score points.

5. Hmmmm I did not have a log in before this AMA but I am a regular user of Boards for information on various things from help with buying a car or cooking a meal or literally anything. If a conversation has been had, it's probably been had on here!!

Sorry for delay in answering!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Hi

Thanks again

While we await the OPs return Collie D do you mind me partially taking on No.2 regarding my own local town & council?

My local council is twinned with.........DOLE!

Make up your own jokes like the Cllrs. getting their photograph taken.....for the PSC.

They also sign their names......on signing on day down the local Intreo office....

(The Dole I'm referring to is in France; we're also twinned with Tempe in Texas and have had a delegation over this Summer I think of both boys and girls, men and women if I recall)

At a minimum i would expect a pure honesty, that seems to be like a non existant skill for most politicians. We get flaunted unrealistic expectations, blame at every corner against everyone else, with lack of taking responsibility.

I would rather a minister/leader say that there are major problems from X, Y, Z instead of blaming a person or group. I believe that most of the country while they may not like the answer recieved would appreciate it more as it would be easier to digest. Political answers should be reserved for other politicans or heads of state, not for the general public.

Leo promised Vicky Phelan that no one caught up in the smear issue would end up in court and would be resolved through mediation, now he is stating that some might have to go to court, again this goes back to realistic expectations and making cheques verbally that he can't cash. While i accept he can't do everything, he should then say that he may not have a remit or ability to help but would do all he could (then actually deliver on helping). Again this might not be an answer folks want to see but would be realistic.

As a citizen, i don't believe Leo is competent in any aspect of roles hes carried out. However he is not the only one who seems to be having this difficulty, there are alot of people in roles for which they have no element of expereince in prior to having the role. Its like having a football team made up of sanitation crew and builders, you put them into vital positions believing they can contribute effectively but in the end as they have no training or experience, they will ultimately fail. They also lack in hte ability ot make the hard calls, such as higher tax for higher earners, taking proper action against tax dodgers such as Bono and his ilk.

As for who is a competent leader, i dont think any of the current political leaders are the right person. From FG, Charlie Flanagan or Simon Covney might be worth investing as a leader. For Fianna Failure, i have no time for dynasty families such as the Haughey's or Cowen's, Brian Cowen put this country on its knees and hung even his closest allies so ive no doubt that Barry can live up to his brothers reputation. Micky Martin is bout as much use as a sunroof on a submarine, the only semi reasonable member of that party from my view is Stephen Donnelly.

I think maybe its time for a truely new direction party and not a bunch of clowns in Renua, as the others are non existant and seems the majority power lies with independants now.

Anyhow, cheers for your inputs.
    Point taken on the Vicky Phelan case, I guess you just expect mediation to work.

Would actually agree with a new party, it would be refreshing. Unfortunately, I can see a lot of new parties falling the same way as Renua. Not because they'd have same stance, but the cynicism we have in Ireland, it makes it very hard. It's also very expensive and it's very hard to get a large number of people to all agree a whole manifesto of items! I guess the parties that currently exist, probably represent most of the different political perspectives, so where's the niche?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

As an aside I hope some reading this will attend their local councils meetings going forward if they already haven't done so?

The monthly or special meetings can be fascinating and eye opening in terms of negotiations, jostling for speaking time etc.

All you need's a ticket with your name on it left behind reception for you by a Cllr.; now there is certain decorum like you can't, unless a vote is passed, record using audio-visual equipment but you can take and make written notes like I do/did at a recent but also past meeting.

But, and I say this having attended a council meeting on Presidential nominees recently; we'd 4 candidates to give a fair hearing too.

You know the way you often wonder why certain people come to school because that's where the bus stops?

Well, without naming the Cllrs. but I will say 1 was SF and approached each of the candidates on basis of if they would've they signed the Water and Eviction Bills as President; the national media were in town and while the local media're probably used to the circus I felt this embarrassed our county in general and our electorate; the behaviour and level of some Cllrs. left a lot to be desired.

One FF Cllr. line of questioning for all 4 was who'd you vote for in 2011; this f****r is 35 years a Cllr. and this was the height of his level of questioning like? Stealing a living he is.

Another FF Cllr. asked one of the candidates about cost of presidential accommodation and trotted out some fictitious pregnant girl or lady; nobody in the room had a clue what he was on about or where he was going with his point; come to think of it I don't think he did either!!!

But he was going to ask his question no matter what the relevance or context; sure the 4th Estate were in town and he wanted his name in lights....

Same Cllr. asked one candidate would they be bringing back or saying the Christmas Prayer as previous incumbents haven't done so; again there was a lot of raised eyebrows at that one; I can't recall such a thing under current MDH or the 2 Marys; it'd be the equivalent of our Queens Message on Christmas Eve on the BBC or Channel 4 I guess?

My notes indicate the candidate didn't give him the answer he wanted; they said they respected all faiths and none.

Same FF Cllr. also asked another candidate were we ready for a coloured (yes, he used that actual word........) President; jaws dropped all round.

I walked out of the meeting thinking some Cllrs. must've won their seat in a raffle..............

• Registered Users Posts: 3,974 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Ah my friend! You ask a brilliant question.

In my experience canvassers do not get any formal training as such. First you go along a few times as a kind of leaflet holder and morale support, listen to the conversations, issues etc. and eventually you graduate to have them yourself. (It's very repetitive)

When I first ran we got a one day course in canvasing/social media etc but it wasn't overly detailed.

Would love to hear some of your examples?

Happy too, if I can PM them?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Do you despair of the Irish people when it comes to their voting habits at the ballot box? (With the exception of the people who voted for you of course! :rolleyes:)

Why do you think political dynasties still thrive in Ireland today?

• Advertisement

Do you despair of the Irish people when it comes to their voting habits at the ballot box? (With the exception of the people who voted for you of course! :rolleyes:)

Why do you think political dynasties still thrive in Ireland today?
    Sometimes over a few pints with friends the conversation will turn to "Some people shouldn't have a vote" "You should need a license to have social media" etc. etc.

Obviously democracy hinges on every person having their say whether that's informed or not.

And I think that's what I despair at. The level of non-engagement, the spread of things that just aren't true.

For example, this morning on FB I spotted a poster where it lists off that there is "No money for homeless, HSE" etc but that 'there's 30 odd million being spent on Popes visit'. Now if you''re not into the Pope or his church, fine, but there are literally thousands of arguments to spew against the church and their years of neglect and cover ups of the abuse of children.

The government is spending over 1 Billion on housing, there was millions spent last year trying to get rough sleepers off the streets and into some kind of roof over their head.

Those posters are frustrating, they are one click away from being seen and sadly believed by thousands of people. These people have a vote and they use that kind of nonsense when making their decision.

Thats more so a social media rant than anything.

I'll tell you what else I despair at.

Funeral going politicians, and the people who see this as the role of a politician. IT IS NOT.

A constituent once genuinely asked me what was the rate of pay for going to funerals. I swear to god. They genuinely believed there was a funeral payment for councillors and point blank refused to accept the fact that there obviously isn't. In fact they responded with, "Well you might not be getting it, but some of them are!"

I despair at many things in relation to behaviour at the ballot box.

Political dynasties thrive in Ireland today because despite our many positive changes like marriage equality, 8th, etc we are still a country that is largely conservative on many issues. We like familiarity. We don't want too much change. (Hence why FG and FF have had power since the 20's)

But the other huge part is that so many young people will ask mam or dad "Who will I vote for" and they get the answer "Well Johnnie Big Bollix got us our planning back in 1981 and his son is running now, so we'll stick with him"

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    As an aside I hope some reading this will attend their local councils meetings going forward if they already haven't done so?

The monthly or special meetings can be fascinating and eye opening in terms of negotiations, jostling for speaking time etc.

All you need's a ticket with your name on it left behind reception for you by a Cllr.; now there is certain decorum like you can't, unless a vote is passed, record using audio-visual equipment but you can take and make written notes like I do/did at a recent but also past meeting.

But, and I say this having attended a council meeting on Presidential nominees recently; we'd 4 candidates to give a fair hearing too.

You know the way you often wonder why certain people come to school because that's where the bus stops?

Well, without naming the Cllrs. but I will say 1 was SF and approached each of the candidates on basis of if they would've they signed the Water and Eviction Bills as President; the national media were in town and while the local media're probably used to the circus I felt this embarrassed our county in general and our electorate; the behaviour and level of some Cllrs. left a lot to be desired.

One FF Cllr. line of questioning for all 4 was who'd you vote for in 2011; this f****r is 35 years a Cllr. and this was the height of his level of questioning like? Stealing a living he is.

Another FF Cllr. asked one of the candidates about cost of presidential accommodation and trotted out some fictitious pregnant girl or lady; nobody in the room had a clue what he was on about or where he was going with his point; come to think of it I don't think he did either!!!

But he was going to ask his question no matter what the relevance or context; sure the 4th Estate were in town and he wanted his name in lights....

Same Cllr. asked one candidate would they be bringing back or saying the Christmas Prayer as previous incumbents haven't done so; again there was a lot of raised eyebrows at that one; I can't recall such a thing under current MDH or the 2 Marys; it'd be the equivalent of our Queens Message on Christmas Eve on the BBC or Channel 4 I guess?

My notes indicate the candidate didn't give him the answer he wanted; they said they respected all faiths and none.

Same FF Cllr. also asked another candidate were we ready for a coloured (yes, he used that actual word........) President; jaws dropped all round.

I walked out of the meeting thinking some Cllrs. must've won their seat in a raffle..............
    Yikes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

"Well Johnnie Big Bollix got us our planning back in 1981 and his son is running now, so we'll stick with him"

Jesus! Do you know Johnnie Big Bollix too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Yikes

Why would you reply to that post?

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Trying to acknowledge all posts, same as replying to this one.

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    While we await the OPs return Collie D do you mind me partially taking on No.2 regarding my own local town & council?

My local council is twinned with.........DOLE!

Make up your own jokes like the Cllrs. getting their photograph taken.....for the PSC.

They also sign their names......on signing on day down the local Intreo office....

(The Dole I'm referring to is in France; we're also twinned with Tempe in Texas and have had a delegation over this Summer I think of both boys and girls, men and women if I recall)
    There's definitely a headline writer in you Nokia6230i

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Shefwedfan wrote: »

I suppose you have to

To ask a question. Do you not find it funny all these "stories" that coming out in last 2-3 years which also point to the 2 major parties as doing XYZ which is completely unbeliveable......but lucky some Sine Fein or People before Profit person is in the room trying to rescue it for the good people of Ireland

Irish people seem to fall completly for this c**p.

Are you aware or your other councillors of this constant bombardment on all forum of BS from Sinn Fein and their sorts?

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Thanks for all of the participation in this everyone, especially our guest. It sure was a refreshing view from a county councillor!

Since there have been no posts for a while, I'll close this up.

Thanks all!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement