Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Jumpers are Coming 2018/19

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

Tidy performance by Felix Desjy to open its account over hurdles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

Samcro stays over hurdles. I'm not all that surprised but I'd personally have preferred he'd gone chasing

https://twitter.com/BetfairRacing/status/1056844471747276801?s=19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

I think I'd have stayed hurdling myself. He was one of the best novice hurdlers I can remember. Very slick at his hurdles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭madmoose

I think Samcro even at this stage will win the CH but on paper it could be decent if all turn up with Buvair, Melon, Summerville Boy and Laurina possibly in the mix come the Spring. Lets hope all get there injury free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭maximo31

maximo31 wrote: »
    One I liked the look of 1st time out this season was Pym for Nicky Henderson. Thought he won very well. Henderson and Nicko seemed very pleased on the day too. This was the same race Altior won in 2015. If I recall they were saying the horse had some problems which have been ironed out. Currently available at 33/1 for the Supreme. Don’t think its priced up for anything else…..

Pym entered in the first at Ascot Saturday. Another race won by Altior in 2015. PP only bookie with 33's left now. BetVictor as short as 16/1.
    *Actually only 25's with PP too...

• Advertisement

I see The Worlds End is out in a Novice Chase at Chepstow today. Has some credible opposition to in the shape of Now McGinty. Looks a straight match on paper.
    I thought NM would be a bit shorter if im honest but i havent really attempted to size it up. Have been looking mostly at Breeders Cup yesterday and today and probably for the rest of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭seoirsem

madmoose wrote: »
    I think Samcro even at this stage will win the CH but on paper it could be decent if all turn up with Buvair, Melon, Summerville Boy and Laurina possibly in the mix come the Spring. Lets hope all get there injury free.

Wouldn't Laurina get a Mares allowance, 7lbs I think? Would give her a right chance.

Laurina is more or less in the juvenile hurdle bracket for me. You'd want to see her do it against some credible opposition in open class before considering her a contender to the likes of Buveur D'air, Samcro, Melon, etc... I mean she has a chance of course but she is pretty much the same price as Melon in places ante post. I couldn't be having that at this stage.

kiers47 wrote: »
    I see The Worlds End is out in a Novice Chase at Chepstow today. Has some credible opposition to in the shape of Now McGinty. Looks a straight match on paper.
    I thought NM would be a bit shorter if im honest but i havent really attempted to size it up. Have been looking mostly at Breeders Cup yesterday and today and probably for the rest of the week.

Great round of jumping by him and also Now McGinty in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Moon Dice

I can't understand how Summerville boy is 14/1 for the champion hurdle. Last year and it stumbled at the last/second last (can't remember exactly) and won impressively. I suppose its liking for bit of soft ground is built into the price but the trainers have said they are going for the CH too so seems big

• Advertisement

Moon Dice wrote: »
    I can't understand how Summerville boy is 14/1 for the champion hurdle. Last year and it stumbled at the last/second last (can't remember exactly) and won impressively. I suppose its liking for bit of soft ground is built into the price but the trainers have said they are going for the CH too so seems big

Ya fair shout. I think he should probably also be ahead of Laurina in the betting.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Is Melon staying hurdling?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

Moon Dice wrote: »

All finished in a heap in that race so will be interesting to see how it works out this season

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭madmoose

Slattsy wrote: »

Yeah

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

Samcro will make the market for the Champion . I think he is overrated and the champion won't suit him . Only problem is im not sure where the quality in the race is yet..

He could still back into it but he looks a chaser to me .

Slattsy wrote: »

Id imagine so. He is flat bred. I only seen him once in the flesh but he doesn't really have the scope of a horse that would enjoy jumping a fence.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

madmoose wrote: »
    Yeah
    kiers47 wrote: »
    Id imagine so. He is flat bred. I only seen him once in the flesh but he doesn't really have the scope of a horse that would enjoy jumping a fence.

Good stuff, because he wins the Champion Hurdle :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

aidankkk wrote: »
    Samcro will make the market for the Champion . I think he is overrated and the champion won't suit him . Only problem is im not sure where the quality in the race is yet..

He could still back into it but he looks a chaser to me .

You dont think the back to back Champion possesses quality?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Auroras_encore

Pogue eile wrote: »
    You dont think the back to back Champion possesses quality?

back to back champion who's lucky min and altior went chasing straight away

• Advertisement

back to back champion who's lucky min and altior went chasing straight away

True, but that doesn't mean a 169 rated two time Champion Hurdler lacks quality

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Auroras_encore

True, but that doesn't mean a 169 rated two time Champion Hurdler lacks quality

Don't think anyone's denying beveur dair is a good horse but is just doing a best mate

Id have been absolutely shocked if Min stayed hurdling and beat Buveur D'air. Min got by far the best ride in that supreme. In my mind BD was the 2nd best horse.
    To call him lucky because other horses went chasing all the same is a bit harsh. You still need to get back fit and well to be a dual CH winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Douvan finished?
    Small stress fracture/ligament tear

Horses are like cars
    once they start to croak, they rarely make it back to top form

Douvan finished?
    Small stress fracture/ligament tear

Horses are like cars
    once they start to croak, they rarely make it back to top form

Mullins also made a comment about it being his 'good leg' so he obviously now has problems with at least two legs, shame really was confident they could get him back to the top.

Don't think anyone's denying beveur dair is a good horse but is just doing a best mate

It reminds me a bit of when Hurricane Fly was winning Grade one after Grade one and teh arguement put forward was he was simply beating the same horses over and over and the opposition was poor, sometimes you have to look a little bit further than the opposition to appreciate the strenght of the form.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭sweeneed

It reminds me a bit of when Hurricane Fly was winning Grade one after Grade one and teh arguement put forward was he was simply beating the same horses over and over and the opposition was poor, sometimes you have to look a little bit further than the opposition to appreciate the strenght of the form.

never got that argument - over the years he beat them all....solwhit, binocular,peddlers cross, zarkander, rock on ruby, jezki, our conor to name a few

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Did fly beat Our Conor?
    When?

Jezki had the measure of him for a year or 2, they were titanic battles, albeit at different ends of the age spectrum accepted

was if fairyhouse when they went head to head clear to the last and jezki hit it a whallop???

Did fly beat Our Conor?
    When?

Jezki had the measure of him for a year or 2, they were titanic battles, albeit at different ends of the age spectrum accepted

was if fairyhouse when they went head to head clear to the last and jezki hit it a whallop???

He beat him in the Ryanair and in the Irish CH also in Cheltenham i guess but Our Conor fell that day :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭sweeneed

Did fly beat Our Conor?
    When?

our conor was in those races with himself and jezki. our connor got a lot closer in the irish champion hurdle i think it was and was probably upward curve for cheltenham where he fell. will never know unfortunately. yes i think it makes it even more impressive coming back and beating jezki who had age on his side. was also leopardstown where jezki clattered the last. he was unbeatable there.

Advertisement