Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Jumpers are Coming 2018/19

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

sweeneed wrote: »
    never got that argument - over the years he beat them all....solwhit, binocular,peddlers cross, zarkander, rock on ruby, jezki, our conor to name a few

Agree fully but it was repeatedly thrown around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

1 thing i will say about Hurricane Fly and i would have been a massive fan and his achievements are for sure under appreciated.
    The theory that he wasnt right in the Champion that Rock On Ruby won i cant be having what so ever. He was completely undone by the tactics of that race and he never was truly in love with Cheltenham either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

kiers47 wrote: »
    1 thing i will say about Hurricane Fly and i would have been a massive fan and his achievements are for sure under appreciated.
    The theory that he wasnt right in the Champion that Rock On Ruby won i cant be having what so ever. He was completely undone by the tactics of that race and he never was truly in love with Cheltenham either.

same as kauto star, just shows how good they were when they won twice at the festival, winning the 2 biggest races despite clearly not being in love with the track

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Any word om Jezki? Has no entries listed as yet.
    Presume Lady Harrington would have announced if one of her stable stars was retiring?

what a horse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Angliru

Mullins saying he's aiming Laurina for the CH. So fill your boots with Laurina @4/1 for the Mares.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Lads are virgin still showing the big Saturday races, I no longer have itv4 on new sky box or at least can't find other channels. Combined with losing atr from new year onwards I'm not going to be seeing much racing sadly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

Lads are virgin still showing the big Saturday races, I no longer have itv4 on new sky box or at least can't find other channels. Combined with losing atr from new year onwards I'm not going to be seeing much racing sadly

You can add it on a SKY q box as well . its in settings and manual channels . I watch it every week on a Q box

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

http://irishlinks.co.uk/sky-satellite-tv-ireland.htm
    Easy enough to add the channels in the above link Paddy. All the frequencies are at the bottom of the page

That was fairly dissapointing. He'd want to come on a good bit from that. Bedrock would be lapped in the CH.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Auroras_encore

Just like I said in March samcros win was not impressive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,535 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Chasing it is . lol

Just like I said in March samcros win was not impressive

Thats harsh enough he beat 2 next time out Grade 1 winners in cheltenham. I spent most of last year taking him on to my detriment. He was certainly the best novice i dont think even the biggest of cynics could say otherwise.
    Plenty to work on that's for sure but racing is never black and white

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭gazza1

Early days still but have just taken Summerville Boy @14s ew with b365 after that.
    Wouldn't be surprised to see him go the chase route now. Hard to take any positives other than he got round.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Gordon said he was fit and he's disappointed he didn't win

I hope they hold their nerve and stay hurdling tbh.
    It certainly wasn't the hurdles that beat him today he made maybe 2 mistakes and jumped the rest well and that's being very critical. I think you have to give him another go at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭ustari

Thought that as well, jumped as if they have been training for fences. Went quite high over them all. Don't think that inefficiency was the cause of the loss though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,373 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I actually think that everyone has the reading of this race all wrong.

People have said that Samcro did not show a turn of foot at the finish, or that it was slow. I don't think I can agree with that for starters. Bedrock is out of Fastnet Rock and Galileo on the damsire side. When you consider that the race today was run over 2m on good ground with a downhill finish, then in a straight shoot out, a horse like Bedrock is always going to have the speed advantage in terms of breeding, and that is even before we consider the 5lb it had in hand. Not only that, but Bedrock has plenty in the form book that suggests that it would have adapted well to this race. Samcro on the other hand has probably never run on ground this good, or raced on a track with such an easy finish. With any bit of juice in the ground, or any stiffer of a finish and this result would be turned around easily. Even with just a second run, it's possible that Samcro might have turned over Bedrock with the benefit of an extra run.

The next thing I don't agree with is the notion that this race was ran slow. In the G3 race before Samcro's, Sancta Simona which you'd imagine now has designs on the mares novice race at Cheltenham (ie. it's no mug) won in a time of Time: 3m 51.40s (slow by 1.40s). Bedrock won at a time of Time: 3m 43.80s (fast by 6.20s). Even if you discount Sancta Simona (it's just a novice), you can check past graded 2m races at Downroyal. I was not able to find a similar type of race that was run as quick. I don't see anything to suggest that this race was run slow.

So with all that said, I think this was a freak result where Bedrock was put into a race that couldn't possibly have suited it better (fair play to Jardine, he's a genius). However, if you discount that performance and look at Samcro (160 rated) and Sharjah (155 rated) as a pair, and the manner in which Samcro trounced it, I wouldn't be at all disheartened with Samcro. Sharjah after all was race fit, had 8lbs in hand on Samcro, and has a Galway Hurdle under its belt so it had no excuses.

In my opinion, Samcro ran a fine race and it'll beat whatever it meets in the Morgiana.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Auroras_encore

People have said that Samcro did not show a turn of foot at the finish, or that it was slow. I don't think I can agree with that for starters. Bedrock is out of Fastnet Rock and Galileo on the damsire side. When you consider that the race today was run over 2m on good ground with a downhill finish, then in a straight shoot out, a horse like Bedrock is always going to have the speed advantage in terms of breeding, and that is even before we consider the 5lb it had in hand. Not only that, but Bedrock has plenty in the form book that suggests that it would have adapted well to this race. Samcro on the other hand has probably never run on ground this good, or raced on a track with such an easy finish. With any bit of juice in the ground, or any stiffer of a finish and this result would be turned around easily. Even with just a second run, it's possible that Samcro might have turned over Bedrock with the benefit of an extra run.

The next thing I don't agree with is the notion that this race was ran slow. In the G3 race before Samcro's, Sancta Simona which you'd imagine now has designs on the mares novice race at Cheltenham (ie. it's no mug) won in a time of Time: 3m 51.40s (slow by 1.40s). Bedrock won at a time of Time: 3m 43.80s (fast by 6.20s). Even if you discount Sancta Simona (it's just a novice), you can check past graded 2m races at Downroyal. I was not able to find a similar type of race that was run as quick. I don't see anything to suggest that this race was run slow.

So with all that said, I think this was a freak result where Bedrock was put into a race that couldn't possibly have suited it better (fair play to Jardine, he's a genius). However, if you discount that performance and look at Samcro (160 rated) and Sharjah (155 rated) as a pair, and the manner in which Samcro trounced it, I wouldn't be at all disheartened with Samcro. Sharjah after all was race fit, had 8lbs in hand on Samcro, and has a Galway Hurdle under its belt so it had no excuses.

In my opinion, Samcro ran a fine race and it'll beat whatever it meets in the Morgiana.

Dear god that is some reaching

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

ssshhh, your trying to kill the lovely prices :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

absolute dirt Francie in my opinion, any stiffer of a finish and the results are reversed (EASILY), thats absolute horse ****e .

Horse was beaten fair and square, bubble burst and all the rest.

a freak result? they both battled from the back of the 2nd last and there was only one winner .

a freak result would be if samcro nearly tipped up at the last and bedrock came and done him. not here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Is that you Gordon???????

• Registered Users Posts: 17,962 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Road to Respect very impressive there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

Balko ran like an absolute drain there. Huge drifter beforehand too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

TheTorment wrote: »

Such spoofers aswell saying it was "the good leg", then coming out with the truth "It’s the same leg that he had a problem with last year. It’s the tendon on the back of the pastern, which is a fairly rare injury."

He should be retired.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Those lads just getting a price for later on in the season haha

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

ASOT wrote: »
    Such spoofers aswell saying it was "the good leg", then coming out with the truth "It’s the same leg that he had a problem with last year. It’s the tendon on the back of the pastern, which is a fairly rare injury."

He should be retired.

Why would he be retired . That makes no sense .

It's terrible luck with him in particular . He showed enough last year to suggest he has plenty of talent still .

For a bit of context on the Samcro discussion. Id be more inclined to come down on Francie's side of the argument above fwiw. I was disappointed at the time as most were but i watched the race back a couple of times and i dont think he jumped the hurdles bad as some are saying. He made 1/2 mistakes and jumped 1/2 a bit big but for the most part i thought he was grand. He will certainly improve for that outing.

Also that was the quickest time the WKD/Anglo Irish Bank hurdle has ever been run granted the ground was a help to that fact. So people suggesting the race was slow can pull the other one. It was literally the quickest that race has ever been run. To produce that effort first time out against a race fit rival is not really the end of the world. Its disappointing for sure. But the bubble certainly isnt burst and he will for sure be one of the ones to beat come March after BD.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

aidankkk wrote: »
    Why would he be retired . That makes no sense .

It's terrible luck with him in particular . He showed enough last year to suggest he has plenty of talent still .

Nothing to do with talent Aidan but to save him from further injury, especially if this injury keeps reappearing.

• Advertisement

I don't think Altior will be to worried about that. Footpad with a couple of small errors and jumped big at a few before coming down. Seemed beaten anyway.

Advertisement