Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Housing Minister issues wind warning

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,435 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Olsky wrote: »
    Whenever I hear a weather warning I am reminded of the use of fear as a means of controlling and distracting populaces in 1984

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

It's not in his remit to issue weather warnings. Tweeting for tweeting sake from a professional account is juvenile at best.

You're not the sharpest tool in the shed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

Whenever I hear a weather warning I am reminded of the use of fear as a means of controlling and distracting populaces in 1984

And whenever I hear one, I check that all of my windows are closed, that the dog is in and I bring the washing in off my clothes line.

In America there are full time radio and TV weather channels. Not for the faint hearted.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Olsky

Why?

Because people assume that they have been around for ever but they haven't.

Issuing warning alerts about things like "It might be a bit windy" or "It might rain" serves the purpose of conditioning us into thinking that rain and wind are inherently dangerous things that we should fear rather that just perfectly normal natural weather events. Do you really thing we "need" rain and wind warnings.
    Or are they serving their purpose of making us more afraid and anxious.

• Advertisement

Because people assume that they have been around for ever but they haven't.

Issuing warning alerts about things like "It might be a bit windy" or "It might rain" serves the purpose of conditioning us into thinking that rain and wind are inherently dangerous things that we should fear rather that just perfectly normal natural weather events. Do you really thing we "need" rain and wind warnings.
    Or are they serving their purpose of making us more afraid and anxious.

I am not "conditioned" by weather forecasts. You probably should avoid them in future.

I am not "conditioned" by weather forecasts. You probably should avoid them in future.

Maybe you are not but having come from abroad I have noticed that a lot of irish people are becoming conditioned to fear and obsess about the weather and the constant weather warning are playing a bit part in developing this conditioning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    You're not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Reported. Try thinking for yourself once or twice instead of following the crowd.

Maybe you are not but having come from abroad I have noticed that a lot of irish people are becoming conditioned to fear and obsess about the weather and the constant weather warning are playing a bit part in developing this conditioning.

Where do you meet these people? They sound a bit unbalanced.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Maybe its the wind. I hear its a bit gusty out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Jimmy. wrote: »
    Posters in the Journal are like the thick class in school.

And boards.ie posters are in the 'gifted' class :D ...

They are your friends and neighbours and your family.
    They are all the people that are a little more fearful and anxious tonight because a nationwide orange alert wind warning has been issued.

They are all the people that are a little more fearful and anxious tonight because a nationwide orange alert wind warning has been issued.

How do you know all this stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

Olsky wrote:
    The Housing Minister Eoghan Murphy has taken to twitter to advise us all of the possibility that it might be windy. According to the Minister there is the "potential for damaging gusts" So please be careful out there... particularly if you are homeless.

What exactly is your point? Sarcasm? Hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I hope the wind blows this thread and it's idiocy away during the night

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I always find it hillarious that we need others to tell us locals how we should think :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Make your point.

I don’t need to, others already have.

gozunda wrote: »
    I always find it hillarious that we need others to tell us natives how we should think :rolleyes:

Well. This will get me crucified but.. The irish have a weather obsession that is abnormal and unusual.. It seems to be the main topic of conversation here. No other race has anywhere near the weather preoccupation of the Irish.
    And most other races would also think that a bit of wind would be worthy of a "weather warning" to be ridiculous and laughable

Well. This will get me crucified but.. The irish have a weather obsession that is abnormal and unusual.. It seems to be the main topic of conversation here. No other race has anywhere near the weather preoccupation of the Irish.
    And most other races would also think that a bit of wind would be worthy of a "weather warning" to be ridiculous and laughable

Someone, could have been you, made that ridiculous assertion on Boards before. An English person owned up to their country being a little bit interested in the weather as well.

Anyway it looks like next week won't be so bad.

Fairly sure winds are expected to reach about 120km/h on the west coast..

Sure it's nothing life threatening but no harm with a mid level warning. Hardly evidence of any sort of national obsession, fear or panic about anything.

Stop talking crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

Fr_Dougal wrote:
    There are very few people in this country without a roof over their head. Actual homeless numbers are being inflated by the ‘Foreva Home’ crew.

Proof/source please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

The opening posts of this thread read like the comments section of the Journal.

If you are looking for serious discourse it's unlikely you will find it in this section of Boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

The point of these alerts isn’t to panic people but to get them aware of storms that can and in fact do kill people.

lawred2 wrote: »

Sure it's nothing life threatening but no harm with a mid level warning.

Stop talking crap.

Thats kinda my point. There is a lot wrong with mid level warnings. Particularly when they are continuous and become normalised.
    Warnings help to incolculate fear and anxiety in a population.

The point of these alerts isn’t to panic people but to get them aware of storms that can and in fact do kill people.

The point of these alerts is the creation of fear and anxiety in the population.
    So yes . Be afraid. The wind might kill you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,333 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Proof/source please?

Focus Ireland

https://www.focusireland.ie/resource-hub/about-homelessness/

In March 2018, the official rough sleeping count confirmed 110 people sleeping rough in Dublin, with an additional number in the Night Café, without a place to sleep.

Thats kinda my point. There is a lot wrong with mid level warnings. Particularly when they are continuous and become normalised.

You should be grateful that meteorologists are continually monitoring the weather conditions. But there is no need for you to make the results of their work be a continuous feature in your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,459 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Proof/source please?

Rough sleepers in Dublin (those actually on the streets without shelter): 110 source Dublin Region Homeless Executive

What?

This is an actual storm which people need to be warned about.

This isn't "just a bit of wind."

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 386 ✭✭Jimmy.

You’re worse to be providing a link. What is this place turning into a mini Judge Judy

Advertisement