Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Housing Minister issues wind warning

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 260 ✭✭Magnatu

Turnipman wrote: »
    The following should wipe the cretinous smirk off your smug face - although it probably won't. :mad:

Woman Dies After Caravan Blown Off Cliff in Galway

Thousands of people die every day from accidents. And from normal weathee. That is part of life. Does this mean that that we should wrap ourselves up in cotton wool and stay inside fear and apprehension?
    Does not negate the point at all. That warnings designed to make us fearful and apprehensive are not a good thing. So you are terrified of the wind you sad little man and the death of a woman in Galway allows you to justify your fear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Magnatu wrote: »
    Thousands of people die every day from accidents. And from normal weathee. That is part of life. Does this mean that that we should wrap ourselves up in cotton wool and stay inside fear and apprehension?
    Does not negate the point at all. That warnings designed to make us fearful and apprehensive are not a good thing. So you are terrified of the wind you sad little man and the death of a woman in Galway allows you to justify your fear.

Jesus wept. Nobody is terrified you quarterwit sock-puppet.

Its a warning. You can ignore it or not. One person has died by ignoring it. I pretty much ignored it by cycling to work but I probably wouldn't again.

But its up to you. Nobody is forcing anything here ( unlike a red warning, the orange is just advisory).

But you should go wild and go sailing, or kite sailing or whatever you want to do rather than being the hard man on the internet. In fact, please do.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

What the hell is your problem?

It is a valid weather warning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Jesus wept. Nobody is terrified you quarterwit sock-puppet.

Its a warning. You can ignore it or not. One person has died by ignoring it. I pretty much ignored it by cycling to work but I probably wouldn't again.

But its up to you. Nobody is forcing anything here ( unlike a red warning, the orange is just advisory).

But you should go wild and go sailing, or kite sailing or whatever you want to do rather than being the hard man on the internet. In fact, please do.

Quarterwit is my new favourite word.

Bravo sir, bravo.

It's not in his remit to issue weather warnings. Tweeting for tweeting sake from a professional account is juvenile at best.

You mean he shouldn’t be warning people to take responsibility for themselves?

Or he was warning of the possible risk to lives, like this? https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/caravan-with-woman-50s-inside-blown-off-cliff-in-co-galway-37332432.html

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 386 ✭✭Jimmy.

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

Say a mass there will ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I feel like you use the word 'sheeple' quite often.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

A young man in northern ireland has died from a falling tree due to the storms...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

People in Ireland need to be warned about severe weather as much as possible. During storm Ophelia I could see from my window people carrying on as if nothing was happening. There were people walking, cycling and taking their dogs for a walk. There was this barrier thing around a telephone pole that the council had been working on. At the exact moment a man was walking around this pole a gust of wind blew it down. It missed him by about an inch.

I don't get this shite of downplaying it. "It's a bit windy". No, there's a storm. And just because it's not that bad where you are it doesn't mean it's the same all over the country.

This is the kind of shite teenagers do, act like they're too hard to be affected by weather.

• Advertisement

People in Ireland need to be warned about severe weather as much as possible. During storm Ophelia I could see from my window people carrying on as if nothing was happening. There were people walking, cycling and taking their dogs for a walk. There was this barrier thing around a telephone pole that the council had been working on. At the exact moment a man was walking around this pole a gust of wind blew it down. It missed him by about an inch.

I don't get this shite of downplaying it. "It's a bit windy". No, there's a storm. And just because it's not that bad where you are it doesn't mean it's the same all over the country.

This is the kind of shite teenagers do, act like they're too hard to be affected by weather.

It's not so much being hard but "the weather" is something that is taken as a normal part of life in other countries.
    In 1984 Orwell spoke of keeping the population in s constant state of fear and that's kinda what has happened in Ireland.with scare tactics and constant weather warnings.
    Maybe it takes an outsider to notice it and understandable that many are in denial and get very annoyed and abusive when it is pointed out to them. But
    . Irish people are now in a constant state of fear and anxiety of "the weather" .
    It is not natural or good.

Its a warning. You can ignore it or not.
    But its up to you. Nobody is forcing anything here .

You mean he shouldn’t be warning people to take responsibility for themselves?

Or he was warning of the possible risk to lives
    :(

To be frank I think ye are all just a bunch of oversensitive snowflakes.
    And I reiterate. It is Ireland. The wind will blow sometimes. It will rain occasionally.
    But these constant weather warnings and talk of danger and storms is making us as a nation more fearful and anxious. It is the creation of irrational fear in a populace that is straight out of the orwellian playbook.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

And I reiterate. It is Ireland. The wind will blow sometimes. It will rain occasionally.
    But these constant weather warnings and talk of danger and storms is making us as a nation more fearful and anxious. It is the creation of irrational fear in a populace that is straight out of the orwellian playbook.

I like that you came back to the thread several days later, after everybody had stopped posting just to get that last little comment in.

Ironic snowflake behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

I think they're great, every time there's a weather warning I tell my boss that I'm going to work from so as to avoid the resulting traffic problems.

Gives me an extra few hours back each time.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I like that you came back to the thread several days later, after everybody had stopped posting just to get that last little comment in..

This thread is not time limited because in case you haven't noticed these warnings have become ubitiquous and constant. People have forgotten that there was a time when we didn't have them.
    Be afraid. Be very afraid. Of the wind. And the rain

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

This thread is not time limited because in case you haven't noticed these warnings have become ubitiquous and constant. People have forgotten that there was a time when we didn't have them.
    Be afraid. Be very afraid. Of the wind. And the rain

What about the snow? And the lightning? And the ice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Olsky wrote: »
    The Housing Minister Eoghan Murphy has taken to twitter to advise us all of the possibility that it might be windy.
    According to the Minister there is the "potential for damaging gusts"
    So please be careful out there... particularly if you are homeless.

His Mam is making him Beans for tea.

What about the snow?
    Last time it snowed we shut down the country for two days. Actually very interesting to observe the way the populace is being conditioned to be afraid of the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Ninthlife wrote: »
    Whats wrong with him tweeting this?

Not a thing in the world. But because he’s a politician this somehow makes it acceptable to scorn, belittle and hate everything he says and does.

The real issue people have with EM is that unlike Harry Potter he cannot wave a magic wand and make houses appear out of thin air.

I really think folk in this country have a lot of unrealistic expectations when it comes to our politicians.

We also need to realize that not everyone on the homeless register is actually homeless - to me, if you rent a property or live in a council house then you are not homeless.

That title, for want of a better way of putting it, only applies to those poor souls who live on the streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Met Eireann falls under his remit in the Department of Housing, Planning and Local Government.

Not sure what the big deal is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Eoghan Murphy should insread issue a hot air warning...

...all the guff that comes out of his gob and sweet FA all action.

I can’t understand this thought process - do people honestly believe our politicians sit in their offices and do nothing all day?

Surely you have a bit more sense than that?

The real issue people have with EM is that unlike Harry Potter he cannot wave a magic wand and make houses appear out of thin air.

I really think folk in this country have a lot of unrealistic expectations when it comes to our politicians.
    That is the argument that Fine Gael have been using for many many years. That they can not magically provide social housing.
    However the minister has been in place for long enough now to judge him on his achievemens.
    The figures for social housing completions this year have been released. They are tiny.
    At the same time the minister has dramatically increased payments to Fine Gaels supporters, the landlords, the institutional investors and the vulture funds through the odious landlord support scheme called HAP. He has also revoked a pledge by his predessor to phase out payments to hotel owners. This is an ideological decision.
    The big losers are the working poor who face increased rents because of the hundreds of millions being paid to private landlords.

Retailers blast overuse of weather warnings by Met Eireann.
    Alarmist and making people afraid to go shopping

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/retail-industry-body-blast-alarmist-met-eireann-weather-warnings-893018.html

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

Retailers blast overuse of weather warnings by Met Eireann.
    Alarmist and making people afraid to go shopping

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/retail-industry-body-blast-alarmist-met-eireann-weather-warnings-893018.html

I would have thought people panic buy and stock up to avoid last years scenes.

• Site Banned Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Dakotabigone

The showers becoming more showery.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Maybe he shouldn't have built the houses out of straw.

or sticks

A nation wide weather warning because it might be windy by the coast at the weekend.
    Is it not time we got rid of these ridiculous weather warnings.

https://www.joe.ie/news/met-eireann-issue-nationwide-weather-warning-weekend-657480

• Registered Users Posts: 39,425 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

A nation wide weather warning because it might be windy by the coast at the weekend.

https://www.joe.ie/news/met-eireann-issue-nationwide-weather-warning-weekend-657480

No it's not time to get rid of these far from ridiculous as you call them weather warnings. There may be scope to alter them someway but not to get rid of them.

• Site Banned Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Dakotabigone

Lads need to knock one out. Getting very excited over wind is abnormal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭Allinall

No.

Advertisement