Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Housing Minister issues wind warning

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭Flyingsnowball

Speaking of wind is anybody way more farty than they used to be after a weekend of drinking. I used to just fart all Monday but now it could even be Wednesday and I have a dose of all day gusts.

It’s very disheartening for my co workers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 260 ✭✭Magnatu

How did our ancestors survive without these constant warnings to make them afraid of the wind.

WARNINGS WARNING DANGER DANGER

A Status Yellow weather warning has been issued as Ireland will be battered with winds.

Met Eireann has warned of gusts on Friday, with the alert in place for all counties.

A forecaster said: “Very windy on Friday with possibly storm winds along parts of the coast.”

The warning is in place from 6:00 am to 8:00 pm on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭Allinall

Magnatu wrote: »
    How did our ancestors survive without these constant warnings to make them afraid of the wind.

A Status Yellow weather warning has been issued as Ireland will be battered with winds.

Met Eireann has warned of gusts on Friday, with the alert in place for all counties.

A forecaster said: “Very windy on Friday with possibly storm winds along parts of the coast.”

How do you know ALL our ancestors survived?

How do you know there weren’t lots of people went out in fishing boats not realising how bad the winds were going to be?

How do you know some of our ancestors weren’t killed by falling trees?

Why are you actually obsessed with weather warnings, when they can only help?

• Site Banned Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Dakotabigone

The dag ran under the table for a big wind and under the bed for a massive one.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Speaking of wind is anybody way more farty than they used to be after a weekend of drinking. I used to just fart all Monday but now it could even be Wednesday and I have a dose of all day gusts.

It’s very disheartening for my co workers.

It's called getting older.

Just wait till those farts turn into sharts and you will then really regret those weekend benders... :O

• Advertisement

Allinall wrote: »

Why are you actually obsessed with weather warnings, when they can only help?

Because I don't think they do help. What they are doing is making us more fearful and anxious. He are being trained to be afraid. Sure. A tree might fall down somewhere. There might be a fisherman on the sea who might be affected. There might be a caravan on a clifftop that might blow over.
    But there is risk everywhere in life. Unless you are prepared to wrap yourself in cotton wool and stay at home.
    The weather warnings are making us fearful of what is normal and natural. The weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Because I don't think they do help. What they are doing is making us more fearful and anxious. He are being trained to be afraid. Sure. A tree might fall down somewhere. There might be a fisherman on the sea who might be affected. There might be a caravan on a clifftop that might blow over.
    But there is risk everywhere in life. Unless you are prepared to wrap yourself in cotton wool and stay at home.
    The weather warnings are making us fearful of what is normal and natural. The weather.

That you say you are afraid ? Why ? The warnings are not to make you afraid but to advise of adverse conditions.

We have a gale warning out for tomorrow. I live on a very very exposed coast so simply that means I need to make sure nothing is left out and that I have fuel in the house. Not an iota of fear... just practical matters. Glad of the warning.

And they are needed so that eg the ferry does not set out and yes, risk real danger at sea . Again, no one is afraid here. Just taking care/ We need to be aware and act sensibly

The warnings do help. And you can always just tune them out anyways.

Up to you what you make of them .

There will always be specific people like a fisherman at sea or like you that lives on an exposed coast and likes to leave out garden furniture that will need more specific warnings.

I'm talking about the general warnings aimed at the entire population. Do the million and and a half people in Dublin need to be warned that it might be windy on Saturday.
    This is straight out of the Orwellian playbook. Create anxiety in the population by making them afraid.
    I was speaking to an elderly woman yesterday who said she would not be going out at the weekend"because of the warnings"
    Retailers pleaded with Met Eireann recently to ease up on the warnings as they were making people afraid to go shopping.
    These warnings are making us as a country more fearful and nervous about something we always took as natural and normal. The weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

There will always be specific people like a fisherman at sea or like you that lives on an exposed coast and likes to leave out garden furniture that will need more specific warnings.

I'm talking about the general warnings aimed at the entire population. Do the million and and a half people in Dublin need to be warned that it might be windy on Saturday.
    This is straight out of the Orwellian playbook. Create anxiety in the population by making them afraid.
    I was speaking to an elderly woman yesterday who said she would not be going out at the weekend"because of the warnings"
    Retailers pleaded with Met Eireann recently to ease up on the warnings as they were making people afraid to go shopping.
    These warnings are making us as a country more fearful and nervous about something we always took as natural and normal. The weather.

If so yes they do, Then they can make their own minds up.

And good for the elderly lady.

Orwellian? Ah conspiracy theorist.. First one I have ever met.

NB there have been deaths when folk ignored warnings. met.ie cannot not give warnings in law or in morality and public concern

Maybe have a look at met.ie and Storm Erik......

ps i have no garden furniture to leave out! lol

• Site Banned Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Dakotabigone

Strong wind tomorrow. It will be of the windy type. Buy bread.

• Advertisement

Graces7 wrote: »
    If so yes they do, Then they can make their own minds up.

And good for the elderly lady.

Orwellian? Ah conspiracy theorist.. First one I have ever met.

NB there have been deaths when folk ignored warnings. met.ie cannot not give warnings in law or in morality and public concern

lol

It is orwellian. The creation of fear and anxiety in the populace. People afraid to venture outside because of "the wind". And if someone dies somewhere sometime it justifies making people afraid
    I think the emergence of the era of the "weather warnings" is an insidious development.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Stop eating baked beans!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Nobody really takes notice of weather warning any more, do they ?
    There's one of some sort issued most of the time. Just background noise. If they were issued once or twice a year, then they probably would merit attention. But as it is, much the same feeling as traffic heavy on the Rock Road or the Dunkettle Interchange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Would people just stop comparing innocuous stuff in democratic countries to 1984? And just go and actually read 1984? Warning: it's a tough, disturbing read. And I'm not sure people who say weather warnings are like 1984 would be able to handle it.

Would people just stop comparing innocuous stuff in democratic countries to 1984? And just go and actually read 1984? Warning: it's a tough, disturbing read. And I'm not sure people who say weather warnings are like 1984 would be able to handle it.
    The comparison between weather warnings and techniques Orwell describd in 1984 is apt and very appropriate. Orwell outlined how those in power could better manage a population by keeping them in a constant state of fear and anxiety. It could be argued that the purpose of the weather warnings is exactly this.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

This post is like something out of 1984.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Weltsmertz

Following yesterdays housing protest the Minister for Housing has tweeted a response.

@ Murphyeoghan
    YELLOW ALERT -ALERT FOR IRELAND

Advertisement