Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Google Home Hub

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Very tempted by this.

£139 on the UK Google site.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yes, looks cool, specially the new Home control options on it.

I think I'll wait for more detailed reviews to emerge.

- How is the sound from it? As good as full sized Google Home?
    - How well does the Home Control interface work?
    - Do third party devices like Netatmo Thermostat and Logitech Circle Cameras work on it and as well as the Nest products?
    - Do SmartThings Controls work on it?

But yes, definitely a very tempting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Hmmmm, i was going to get another full size Home and move my Mini to the bedroom but this looks like a better option for my sitting room

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭OU812

This really interests me. I was contemplating getting a home to go along with my upcoming nest hello.

Depending on the sound, I’d consider offloading my HomePod in favour of this and a couple of minis dotted around

• Registered Users Posts: 18,058 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

7 inch display is definitely on the small side and no camera for video calls. Will wait and see once it's released.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Does it do any more than the Lenovo?

Patww79 wrote: »
    Does it do any more than the Lenovo?

What’s this now? What did I miss?

OU812 wrote: »
    What’s this now? What did I miss?

The Lenovo Smart Display. I've one on the way but I missed the launch yesterday so wasn't sure if Google added anything extra to their own one. I'd much rather the look of the Lenovo.

Looks like the Lenovo one has a built in camera

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Patww79 wrote: »
    The Lenovo Smart Display. I've one on the way but I missed the launch yesterday so wasn't sure if Google added anything extra to their own one. I'd much rather the look of the Lenovo.

Google have added home control options to the new one.

Though that is software, so I'd be very surprised if it isn't rolled out to the Lenovo Smart Display as well. But that is one of the things I'd be waiting to see how it develops.

Assuming the Lenovo gets the same software updates and as quick, then it maybe a good alternative for someone who wants a larger screen and camera.

There are also Google Smart displays from JBL and Sony.

Good that there are different options and prices to fit different peoples needs, as long as they all get the same software.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,963 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Bought it last night. I should ideally have waited on reviews but feck it, I don't drink/smoke/go out, so why the hell not. Neither do I have much of a use for it as such but sure it'll be a bit of fun during the winter months.

bk wrote: »
    Good that there are different options and prices to fit different peoples needs, as long as they all get the same software.

As long as the manufacturers don't fcuk with the software more like

Samsung will be along shortly....

Bought it last night. I should ideally have waited on reviews but feck it, I don't drink/smoke/go out so why the hell not. Neither do I have much of a use for it as such but sure it'll be a bit of fun during the winter months.

Cool, lets us know how it goes :D
    As long as the manufacturers don't fcuk with the software more like

Samsung will be along shortly....

Yes, exactly, that would be my concern about the Lenovo/JBL/etc. ones. The Google one will obviously quickly get the updates, but what about the others. Will they be like Android phones waiting years for updates, if you get them at all.

Having said that, it does look like these are more controlled then Android, so maybe updates will be pushed out quickly, but personally I'd be wait and see how it develops.

BTW Samsung have their own assistant, Bixby and their own smart speakers, it seems pretty rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,963 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Cool, lets us know how it goes :D

Yes, exactly, that would be my concern about the Lenovo/JBL/etc. ones. The Google one will obviously quickly get the updates, but what about the others. Will they be like Android phones waiting years for updates, if you get them at all.

Having said that, it does look like these are more controlled then Android, so maybe updates will be pushed out quickly, but personally I'd be wait and see how it develops.

BTW Samsung have their own assistant, Bixby and their own smart speakers, it seems pretty rubbish.

I'v had a Galaxy S8 almost since release with a dedicated Bixby button. I've used it a grand total of..... 0 times.

Does the Home Hub have play store?

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭SemperFidelis

no play store, limited to a few apps at the moment

I’m really amazed Apple didn’t do this. I’m sure they will in time but this is what the HomePod should have been.

OU812 wrote: »
    I’m really amazed Apple didn’t do this. I’m sure they will in time but this is what the HomePod should have been.

Apple will do it 2 years late

no play store, limited to a few apps at the moment

Need to see what sort of home integration it has beyond Nest products as in, does it do Hue etc.

• Advertisement

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Need to see what sort of home integration it has beyond Nest products as in, does it do Hue etc.

Hue already supports Google Assistant but it's up to Hue to develop for this new version with a screen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

I like the hub for smart devices in the home.

Anyway to get say flashed Sonoff devices to work?

namloc1980 wrote: »

The video on the Verge of him using one, shows him controlling Hue lights and how the screens colour changes to match the colour of the Hue light as it changes. So pretty cool looking.
    Hue already supports Google Assistant but it's up to Hue to develop for this new version with a screen

That doesn't seem to be the case. It seems that Google have created standard screen interfaces for certain categories of devices, like smart lights, thermostat, cameras, etc. And as long as the device supports Google Assistant and fits into one of those categories, it should just work.

It seems Google are using standardised API's to support devices from different companies.

It is a bit of a different approach for say Android, where Hue has to create their own Hue app, it is more controlled.

BTW The Google Home app has been updated, much nicer now and you can see how a lot of this works.
    I like the hub for smart devices in the home.

Note, this isn't really a Hub like the Hue Hub or SmartThings hub, it is just a screen. All the control and integration actually happens in the cloud.

I think I remember seeing that Google will control the software on all so hopefully they do all end up the same.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

bk wrote:
    Note, this isn't really a Hub like the Hue Hub or SmartThings hub, it is just a screen. All the control and integration actually happens in the cloud.

Or the famous Google On Hub that bit the dust on Saturday night on me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

Thanks bk

I will continue on the Home Assistance plan then (when I get the time that is) but will probably still pick one of these up for the kitchen, as the wife misses a radio in the mornings - this will fulfill that need but also give me a lot more options too.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭SemperFidelis

looks like it will work with anything that currently works in the google home app

https://store.google.com/us/product/google_home_hub_works_with

For those interested in seeing what the Smart Home controls might be like on this and if your current devices might look like, you should check out the Google Home app which was updated today and has the new "Home View" added, which I believe mimics what you will see on the home.

Note, you may need to update the app and you seem to need to force close it for it to completely work.

Looks nice, I can see all my Hue lights grouped per room. I can turn on/off all lights in the room and adjust brightness and deep dive and also control individual lights. However as of yet no colour or white ambiance control!

Logitech Circle Cameras appear too, but can't seem to actually view or control them.

TP-Link smart plug there, works fine, can turn on/off

Netatmo Thermostat there, can click into it to view current temperature of house and current setting and adjust the temperature.

Of course all Google Homes, Chromecasts, Shield TV and Audio groups are there too.

A nice new layout that looks good, but still a lot to improve there, hopefully this is just the start and things will improve with time.

Improvements I'd like to see:
    - Support for colour of Hue lights
    - Support for Hue scenes
    - Support for viewing the Circle cameras
    - Support for Hue motion sensors and them reporting temp and light levels
    - Ability to add shortcuts and routines to the home view
    - Ability to add SmartThings hub to home view.
    - Ability to create sub-groups for hue lights and have them on the home view

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

So does this actually hav a hub built in like the Echo plus, or does each smart device still need it's own bridge?

• Advertisement

fixxxer wrote: »
    So does this actually hav a hub built in like the Echo plus, or does each smart device still need it's own bridge?

What hub? All google services are in the cloud. This hub is just a screen with Google Assistant. Hue still needs its own bridge

Advertisement