Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Google Home Hub

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

What hub? All google services are in the cloud. This hub is just a screen with Google Assistant

As in, I can buy Ikea lights and connect them to the echo plus because the EP has the bridge part built in. The previous Google Home didn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

fixxxer wrote: »
    As in, I can buy Ikea lights and connect them to the echo plus because the EP has the bridge part built in. The previous Google Home didn't.

No, this is just a screen with Google Assistant

• Registered Users Posts: 7,207 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

What are the chances of things like this and the new Nest dropping on Black Friday?

(I've booked the day off for that btw - hope to have a clear credit card by then too)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,604 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Anyone else see update on Google home. When I check appstore the app is the same hasnt updated since Aug 18

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

listermint wrote: »
    Anyone else see update on Google home. When I check appstore the app is the same hasnt updated since Aug 18

It's updated on iOS, but not Android.

• Advertisement

It's updated on iOS, but not Android.

I just got the new update on Android

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

It's on apkmirror now too. Version 2.6.6.14.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

I hadn't realised about the camera. I'll definitely stick with the Lenovo then as I'd rather have it than not.

Mine will be going in the kitchen with the Pixel 3 on the Pixel Stand in the bedroom to cover morning messages, etc. I imagine the Lenovo will be handy in the kitchen even for the likes of Duo.

I'm having a strange bug where I can't invite the missus to my home in the new app, when I invite her she shows up without an image and she never receives the invitation email. I'm having no problem inviting my son and daughter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Really like the lenovo, but I was going to get a home anyway because of the nest integration, so I'll most likely go for the Google version.

Can you install Whatsapp on the lenovo version (rather than Duo) for video calling?

OU812 wrote: »
    Really like the lenovo, but I was going to get a home anyway because of the nest integration, so I'll most likely go for the Google version.

Can you install Whatsapp on the lenovo version (rather than Duo) for video calling?

Doubtful, there's no WhatsApp for tablets only phones

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

No play store to download apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

Going to be in the US at the start of Nov so I feel somehow that I won't be able to avoid buying one if they're available in Best Buy :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yes, I read that, they are actually quiet different behind the scenes, with totally different operating systems!

The Home Hub is basically a fancy Chromecast, while the Lenovo, etc. is stripped down Android OS!

However Google claim that the interface will be the same on both and that they will support the same on both.

You can't install anything on these, it is completely locked down adn controlled by Google, sort of like the first gen iPhone interestingly!

Though I do believe the Lenovo one comes with Duo for video calling. But then how many people have Duo installed on their phones!!

bk wrote: »
    Yes, I read that, they are actually quiet different behind the scenes, with totally different operating systems!

The Home Hub is basically a fancy Chromecast, while the Lenovo, etc. is stripped down Android OS!

However Google claim that the interface will be the same on both and that they will support the same on both.

You can't install anything on these, it is completely locked down adn controlled by Google, sort of like the first gen iPhone interestingly!

Though I do believe the Lenovo one comes with Duo for video calling. But then how many people have Duo installed on their phones!!

Is Duo not one of those apps that has to come preinstalled on a handset these days? I know Google specify some, but maybe they haven't done it yet (replacing hangouts on that list iirc).

Then again, that still doesn't mean people will ever set it up. I do find it far and away the best video calling experience there is on Android though.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Patww79 wrote: »
    Is Duo not one of those apps that has to come preinstalled on a handset these days? I know Google specify some, but maybe they haven't done it yet (replacing hangouts on that list iirc).

I'm not sure about that, doesn't seem to be on my other halves Moto G6. It is probably preinstalled on Google Pixel phones and maybe they have an agreement with some mobile carriers to preinstall it on other phones, but forcing it on other Android manufacturers sounds like the type of thing that the EU has major issues with.

Also it isn't going to be on iPhones by default. I don't know anyone who has it or uses it, everyone just uses Whatsapp and some facetime. I'm sure it is very good, but it doesn't seem to have really taken off.

Duo is not in the factory rom for Oxygen OS which is what comes with a OnePlus phone. I have it installed, I have tried it, I guess I'll use it if it gets integrated as I work away sometimes. From my experience I don't find it the best, it's probably good with decent bandwidth but while away I'm on mobile data or crappy hotel public WiFi. Facebook messenger btw is what we mostly use, it seems to work best (and of course Skype has always had great adaptive codecs)

Reviews up on multiple sites, including The Verge and Arstechnica.

So far the reviews seem incredibly positive.

Audio, better then a mini, but not as good as a full size Google Home, doesn't have the base.

Hardware is superb, everyone seems to love the hardware, in particular the way the screen matches the colour of your ambient light, makes it very pleasant and great for showing pictures.

Everyone seems to love the UI, however the supported software is very immature, things like Youtube, Podcasts, calendars, etc. don't work nearly as well as they should. The feeling seems to be it is early days for a lot of the software, but they are hoping it will mature very quickly, just like Google Home did.

Overall this device is not complete, but has fantastic potential, seems to be the overall feeling.

God damn it, I'll probably get one during the sales, but I could well end up with two or three if it is really this good!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭jogdish

I'm the same, it will go on sale at some point, either black/cyber whatever it's called.
    I picked up a mini last Jan during a Play store sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

Reviews up on multiple sites, including The Verge and Arstechnica.

So far the reviews seem incredibly positive.

Audio, better then a mini, but not as good as a full size Google Home, doesn't have the base.

Hardware is superb, everyone seems to love the hardware, in particular the way the screen matches the colour of your ambient light, makes it very pleasant and great for showing pictures.

Everyone seems to love the UI, however the supported software is very immature, things like Youtube, Podcasts, calendars, etc. don't work nearly as well as they should. The feeling seems to be it is early days for a lot of the software, but they are hoping it will mature very quickly, just like Google Home did.

Overall this device is not complete, but has fantastic potential, seems to be the overall feeling.

God damn it, I'll probably get one during the sales, but I could well end up with two or three if it is really this good!!

I've already identified two places at home that I could put them.

Its only a matter of time before i succumb to the desire , ain't it!?!?! :(

I'm twitching here too! I have a plan to demote my mini to the bedroom where there's a Bluetooth speaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Got notice the other day that it's shipped so can't wait to get my grubby hands on it. It's going in the living room near the sofa so I can keep an eye on my 17 month old when she's sleeping. I currently have a Google Home on the other side of the room near the TV. There's no way the two of these can properly operate in the same room together is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭droidman123

Are you guys buying it from the uk google store and using pm or pw?

Got notice the other day that it's shipped so can't wait to get my grubby hands on it. It's going in the living room near the sofa so I can keep an eye on my 17 month old when she's sleeping. I currently have a Google Home on the other side of the room near the TV. There's no way the two of these can properly operate in the same room together is there?

Is it a Nest camera you have? It is the only one that works with the Hub at the moment.

Yes, I was think about that issue of a GH and Hub in the same room. I suspect at the moment it will cause issues, but I can see lots of people having the same complaint and them adding the ability to designate one as the primary device or something like that.

I'm thinking of putting a hub in our bedroom and demoting the mini to the little ones room, she is already saying "hey google" at just turned 3 :eek:

In the bedroom we already use very good bookshelf speakers with chromecast to play music from the mini, so there I'm not worried about the hub not having the best audio.

Are you guys buying it from the uk google store and using pm or pw?

That's exactly what I'm doing.
    Is it a Nest camera you have? It is the only one that works with the Hub at the moment.

Yes, I was think about that issue of a GH and Hub in the same room. I suspect at the moment it will cause issues, but I can see lots of people having the same complaint and them adding the ability to designate one as the primary device or something like that.

I'm thinking of putting a hub in our bedroom and demoting the mini to the little ones room, she is already saying "hey google" at just turned 3 :eek:

In the bedroom we already use very good bookshelf speakers with chromecast to play music from the mini, so there I'm not worried about the hub not having the best audio.

Spot on BK, I have two externals and one indoor camera so that'll be fun.

When I was upgrading to the Google units I had two excellent amps and two sets of speakers. I retired the living room setup to the attic (just in case we ever move to a bigger house) and kept a nice Yamaha stereo amp and Wharfedale speakers in the bedroom, so like yourself I don't really use the Google units for listening to music, more so the smart features.

I think it'd be possibly hilarious down the line to move a mini to our 17 months old bedroom. She's not speaking yet but is well in tune with Google and what it does. When we look at an animal in a book she points in the general direction of Google so she can hear the sound. I can imagine putting her to bed in the future and her whispering requests to Google- all while being caught on camera.

Spot on BK, I have two externals and one indoor camera so that'll be fun.

Yes, I've two Logitech Circle cameras, that do work with GH and CHromecast (pretty cool) but don't seem to work with Hub yet. I'm hoping they will add support for them soon. They are listed in the Home app, but don't do anything yet so I do have hope on it.
    When I was upgrading to the Google units I had two excellent amps and two sets of speakers. I retired the living room setup to the attic (just in case we ever move to a bigger house) and kept a nice Yamaha stereo amp and Wharfedale speakers in the bedroom, so like yourself I don't really use the Google units for listening to music, more so the smart features.

Nice setup and gear :)
    I think it'd be possibly hilarious down the line to move a mini to our 17 months old bedroom. She's not speaking yet but is well in tune with Google and what it does. When we look at an animal in a book she points in the general direction of Google so she can hear the sound. I can imagine putting her to bed in the future and her whispering requests to Google- all while being caught on camera.

My little one adores the animal sounds and is what got her into the GH. I'm constantly asking it to do different sounds. BTW It does a dinosaur sound now if you ask it :D

Yes, I've two Logitech Circle cameras, that do work with GH and CHromecast (pretty cool) but don't seem to work with Hub yet. I'm hoping they will add support for them soon. They are listed in the Home app, but don't do anything yet so I do have hope on it.

Nice setup and gear :)

My little one adores the animal sounds and is what got her into the GH. I'm constantly asking it to do different sounds. BTW It does a dinosaur sound now if you ask it :D

Because the UK voice didn't sing lullabies I kept it to the US which has been doing a dinosaur roar for some time. I discovered much to her amusement a few weeks back that there's also a unicorn sound.

When your daughter is around next time, ask it what a killer whale sounds like :p

• Advertisement

Thanks for the tips, I didn't realise the unicorn one, brilliant :D

Advertisement